• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming August 2017 | Better Layton Never

awp69

They removed it a couple of weeks ago but it still shows in my purchased list.

That’s odd. Wonder why I don’t see it (on both my devices only one of which is iOS 11).

Edit: just tried again. Must have had a typo when I was looking. It does show up on my iPhone, which is iOS 11, but can’t install it, of course. But doesn’t show up on my iPad Mini 2, which is still on 10.3. Must be one of those apps that is completely iPhone only like SE has a few of.

Is there a way to tell if a game on the store is currently 32 or 64 bits? I am going through my wishlist in view of the upcoming 64 bits apocalypse, but it's not easy to tell (sometimes change log will mention this, sometimes not)

Is there a way to tell if a game on the store is currently 32 or 64 bits? I am going through my wishlist in view of the upcoming 64 bits apocalypse, but it's not easy to tell (sometimes change log will mention this, sometimes not)
Anything new to the store from February 2015 is 64 bit as are any apps updated after June 2015

Emarv

Are there any Xcom style games that are good on the iPad?

Turn-based strategy? There are a ton.

Well, XCOM 1 is on there. You have the SRPGs like FFTactics, Banner Saga, etc. I know PocketTactics reviewed Strike Team Hydra positively recently and that seems like an XCOM clone. Steamworld Heist is 2D but basically has an XCOM structure.

kendrid

Banned
Turn-based strategy? There are a ton.

Well, XCOM 1 is on there. You have the SRPGs like FFTactics, Banner Saga, etc. I know PocketTactics reviewed Strike Team Hydra positively recently and that seems like an XCOM clone. Steamworld Heist is 2D but basically has an XCOM structure.

Thanks. I haven't really followed mobile games much so I didn't know where to start.

XCOM 1 was last updated Dec 16, 2014. A quick searched turned up that it is 32 bit only and they are not updating it. I'll look into the other suggestions.

awp69

Thanks. I haven't really followed mobile games much so I didn't know where to start.

XCOM 1 was last updated Dec 16, 2014. A quick searched turned up that it is 32 bit only and they are not updating it. I'll look into the other suggestions.

Well, supposedly they are updating it. There was a 2K post on their site last week about it. But who knows how long it will take and whether or not they do it (they claimed to be fixing Bioshock but never did).

kendrid

Banned
Well, supposedly they are updating it. There was a 2K post on their site last week about it. But who knows how long it will take and whether or not they do it (they claimed to be fixing Bioshock but never did).

Thanks for the update. When I searched it was a 3 or 4 month old post on Reddit that said they were not updating it. I'll just wait until it is confirmed.

killercow

If you want to know, here's how:
- If the app was released after February 1st, 2015, it's 64Bit
- If the app was updated after June 1st, 2015, it's 64Bit

Edit: beaten!

gblues

Banned
Finished Year Walk. Got briefly stuck just after the owl puzzle, because the solution requires sound to be turned on. That was frustrating. I mean, I know it ties into the Nordic lore, but it means the game is less accessible. Seems like there should have been a visual component to the solution as well.

And yes I got the true ending as well.

Overall I give it a 4/5. Great atmosphere and innovative use of multitouch.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Finished Year Walk. Got briefly stuck just after the owl puzzle, because the solution requires sound to be turned on. That was frustrating. I mean, I know it ties into the Nordic lore, but it means the game is less accessible. Seems like there should have been a visual component to the solution as well.

And yes I got the true ending as well.

Overall I give it a 4/5. Great atmosphere and innovative use of multitouch.

While I like sound design in puzzles, I agree that no puzzle should rely on sound solely, for accessibility issues more than anything else.

HotHamBoy

Are there any Xcom style games that are good on the iPad?

These are the most similar:

Templar Battleforce
Warhammer 40k Deathwatch: Tyranid Invasion

If you want unit-based strategy that is a bit different than XCOM:

Warbits (Good Advance Wars clone)
Skulls of the Shoguns
Autmun Dynasty
Door Kickers
Ticket to Earth
Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions

Planar Conquest is a really deep 4x game

awp69

These are the most similar:

Templar Battleforce
Warhammer 40k Deathwatch: Tyranid Invasion

If you want unit-based strategy that is a bit different than XCOM:

Warbits (Good Advance Wars clone)
Skulls of the Shoguns
Autmun Dynasty
Door Kickers
Ticket to Earth
Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions

Planar Conquest is a really deep 4x game

Other good turn based strategy games are Banner Saga and its sequel.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Mario Run is back on the store, just got pushed a bug fix update. My guess is something went wrong with the update previously so they took the app down while they fixed it.

killercow

Armello's finally coming to iOS later this year with every content that has been pushed on PC (that's a lot!). The game will be F2P though but I'm hoping it'll only be to unlock content. The game's a sort of simplified/faster Civ-like game and it's quite great.

PittaGAF

Armello's finally coming to iOS later this year with every content that has been pushed on PC (that's a lot!). The game will be F2P though but I'm hoping it'll only be to unlock content. The game's a sort of simplified/faster Civ-like game and it's quite great.

Judging by the video TouchArcade posted in their YouTube channel, it looks awesome too, realtime shadows and all.
And contrary to what previously stated, they managed to cram it on iPhone too (not iPad only anymore).

Can't wait for it too!!!

If I understood well (I'm not that familiar with the steam version) you will pay for the additional characters at least, but there want be paywalls, stamina or timers.

killercow

Judging by the video TouchArcade posted in their YouTube channel, it looks awesome too, realtime shadows and all.
And contrary to what previously stated, they managed to cram it on iPhone too (not iPad only anymore).

Can't wait for it too!!!

If I understood well (I'm not that familiar with the steam version) you will pay for the additional characters at least, but there want be paywalls, stamina or timers.

Yeah, the video looks really impressive graphically and seems to be 60fps.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
After finally finding some time to sit down with my phone, I've started playing through cat quest and OMG is this a good game! Almost like a zelda but with a cat!

EDIT: made a thread for cat quest

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1427993

Yeah, this is one of my favorite iOS games of all time (up there with WHQ). I stopped after beating it and hitting level 110 or so. Maxed all the spells and started working on maxing gear but got bored. Hopefully Mew Game+ comes soon!

Aynone here playing Puzzle Booble? Wtf is up with stage 116???

Stopped at 140. Not because it's difficult but because it does get a tad repetitive. Boss level 4+ are dumb. I also lucked out with an SS character who makes aiming super easy, ha.

Matt Frost

Might have more success asking who’s playing Bust-a-Move, but I haven’t gotten that far yet. Frost might have though.

Im only at level 76 or something like that.. been very busy trying to finish After the End: Forsaken Destiny and Reds Kingdom

PittaGAF

Warhammer Quest: End of Times will be out 19 October.

Next week there will be a full gameplay trailer.

CAN'T WAIT.

awp69

Warhammer Quest: End of Times will be out 19 October.

Next week there will be a full gameplay trailer.

CAN'T WAIT.

Do you know if they’re going to use the same payment model (premium with IAPs only for additional characters and expansions)?

PittaGAF

Do you know if they’re going to use the same payment model (premium with IAPs only for additional characters and expansions)?

As I chat with them sometimes....I don't know what is official and what is not....but I think they publicly stated it will follow the same (premium) model of the original.
So the game will be premium with optional iap like new characters or (future) expansions.

There won't even be the RNG factor as in Deathwatch (which is premium but you earn new characters with card packs, while loot is random as always).

The only RNG could be in the character level up (to retain some likeness to the boardgame, the original WHQ was so), but it's still debated during test.

TL:DR: yes it's premium.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
As I chat with them sometimes....I don't know what is official and what is not....but I think they publicly stated it will follow the same (premium) model of the original.
So the game will be premium with optional iap like new characters or (future) expansions.

There won't even be the RNG factor as in Deathwatch (which is premium but you earn new characters with card packs, while loot is random as always).

The only RNG could be in the character level up (to retain some likeness to the boardgame, the original WHQ was so), but it's still debated during test.

TL:DR: yes it's premium.

I will through all the money at them. WHQ is top tier best game.

PittaGAF

I will through all the money at them. WHQ is top tier best game.

Do tell me!!!
I really can't wait.
I think I surpassed the 500 hours mark in WHQ.

When Ben told me (Benjamin from Rodeo now Perchang) I almost had a heart attack last Christmas.

And for a solid month I thought he was just having fun with me :p

baconcow

Is the iOS version of WHQ better than the Steam version? I read so much praise for the game, but it has quite a mediocre (69%) on Steam yet descent rating on iOS.

kendrid

Banned
I searched for "SimCity" in this thread and 0 hits. In old threads there are hits here or there but not much on this game.

I am a SimCity BuildIt addict and I play a lot. I play on a Moto G5 plus and Kindle HD 8. On the G5 the game runs fine but the HD 8 is too slow. I am looking for a tablet to run this (and other games) on and I'm looking at the 2017 iPad or maybe Galaxy Tab S2 but some reviews say it is laggy already.

Do any of you have this game and if so can you please answer the following:
1) Which iPad do you own
2) how many seconds does it take for the game to load
3) How long in seconds does it take to load a town with a population of around 1,000,000

Thanks!

Quoting myself so if anyone else searches for this they will have answers.

1) 10.5" iPad Pro
2) didn't measure yet
3) Just under 2 seconds no matter what size town.

This game looks amazing on the Pro's screen. There is so much detail and the game takes advantage of the incredibly high resolution.

starmud

anyone see any impressions or have any of Egglia, Legend of the Redcap?

for 10 bucks i want to find someone who has tried it lol

kendrid

Banned
Grats on the iPad?

I couldn't find the store/1 million pop cities you mentioned earlier. :\

I was able to get the 10.5" Pro for $500 at Best Buy. Last week it was $550 and this week Fry's has it for $550 so they price matched, then I used a deal site to buy $100 gift cards for $85 each. Loving this thing so far. My main laptop is 1366x768 which is a horrible resolution.

No problem about the cities. BuildIt is 5% of what this will the iPad will be used for. It is so beautiful though. There is way more detail and has more animations than playing on my phone at 1080p.

HotHamBoy

Other good turn based strategy games are Banner Saga and its sequel.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that.

I would bet you have you have to pay for more characters and maybe access to online.

Game is great on PS4, will be happy to get it on iPad.

Top Bottom