• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming August 2017 | Better Layton Never

Matt Frost

Realize it’s only $2, but kind of crappy that other devs are updating their apps to 64-bit for free and from what I understand thar’s the main thing that was done here.

The old app was from Microsoft and this time around is Flashbulb (same people as PressPlay) thats why is a new app. I bought it and plan to finish it again, game was so good

ThatGuyJangle

Neo Member
Yep, the app was stuck in a publisher black hole, which is why it's been unavailable for so long. The options on the table were to leave it in the void forever, or republish it ourselves as a new app. We didn't want to make it freemium and fill the game with ads or IAP, so we took what we saw as the best option.

awp69

Yep, the app was stuck in a publisher black hole, which is why it's been unavailable for so long. The options on the table were to leave it in the void forever, or republish it ourselves as a new app. We didn't want to make it freemium and fill the game with ads or IAP, so we took what we saw as the best option.

Cool. Didn’t know the whole story behind it. Hope it sees new life!

Matt Frost

Good to know that you didnt make it freemium! Thanks Flashbulb! You are the best! Both Tentacles are superb (still playing the last one daily), KALIMBA is genious and this Max and the Magic Marker is a classic reborn that i will finish once again. Great job!! Big fan of yours <3

ThatGuyJangle

Neo Member
Good to know that you didnt make it freemium! Thanks Flashbulb! You are the best! Both Tentacles are superb (still playing the last one daily), KALIMBA is genious and this Max and the Magic Marker is a classic reborn that i will finish once again. Great job!! Big fan of yours <3

Thanks man, stuff like this really gives the team a great morale boost. :)

Tendo

I see the dragon quest games are on the app store. How do they play? I've never played a dq. Still ok to start with one or is it too antiquated now?

Oynox

Wish list people, use this app, it allows you to set price drop notifications as well.

Wishlist+ by Jacob Peddicord
https://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/wishlist/id1229495537?mt=8

Crazy. There are still new price tracking apps I do not know of. I recently read about "CheapCarts" which was taken off the App Store as well but I did not know it before. I am still using the German AppTicker because I have a library of nearly 1000 tracked games there...

I will take a look at this nonetheless. Looks fine.

Matt Frost

The wishlist can still be done... on iTunes on PC or Mac... and speaking of that... i forgot about Pang Adventures... anyones plays it? How is it?

HotHamBoy

Just checked the App Store on 11 and, sure enough, it doesn’t seem to be there.

This is an unfathomable choice. Actively discouraging purchases...

I have a bunch of games on my WL I just haven't gotten around to buying. Really don't want to have to use a seperate app for something that simple and useful.

Oynox

This is an unfathomable choice. Actively discouraging purchases...

I have a bunch of games on my WL I just haven't gotten around to buying. Really don't want to have to use a seperate app for something that simple and useful.

What speaks against an external app to keep you wish list? You even have the additional comfort that you get notifications when an app gets a price drop. There is even a Workflow applet for AppZapp which lets you watch apps from within the Appstore without having to leave it.

awp69

Thanks, will check it out.

On an unrelated note, TA wrote that XCOM will be pulled from the App Store and may or may not be updated to 64 bit at a later date. Progress, I guess?

Officially, 2K says it will be updated, but TA is questioning their trustworthiness after they promised to fix Bioshock. Hopefully they’ll keep their word this time around.

PittaGAF

Officially, 2K says it will be updated, but TA is questioning their trustworthiness after they promised to fix Bioshock. Hopefully they’ll keep their word this time around.

I'm still bitter they they published a new XCOM (enemy within) instead of just adding a DLC to XCOM:enemy unknown.
Not for the price, but the principle.
Enemy unknown is long forgotten.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
The other 2K title that's temporarily gone while being updated is Civ Rev 2, hoping it's not gone for long.

RM8

Street Fighter IV Champion Edition is discounted to $1.99.
Bought it, it's honestly great and I'm surprised it works as well as it does. The online also works well, I'm just super glad I have Street Fighter on my phone!

It's kind of depressing that it's basically the only good traditional fighter on the platform, though. This game shows that we COULD have simplified but stll authentic versions of other fighting games on mobile.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
iOS Gaming Aug 2017 | Should old applications be forgot...
iOS Gaming Aug 2017 | Eight is Enough

Matt Frost

My five games that are going to hurt since they are gone forever :(

Monsters Ate My Condo
Worm Run
Mini Dash
Darkin (or Dungeon Raid)
1001 Attempts

Jarsonot

It's crazy that searching for "wishlist" or "wishlist+" will not bring up the app called "wishlist+"

I had to use the link. Wtf.

iOS Gaming Sept 2017 | 32 bit is dead, long live 64 bit!

I seriously can't wait for Iron Marines coming in September, I've been waiting for that game for over a year. I love the Kingdom Rush games so much and I'm really excited to see how well they do with real time strategy.

Also curious if Nintendo will be showing anything new at Apples event.

bonesquad

I have over 30 games/apps on my phone that aren't updated for 64bits. The ones I still play every so often include:

Dungeon Raid
Peggle (classic, not that F2P POS)
Joe Danger and Infinity
Spectromancer
Fluxx (well, I know my mom loves this game:(

I plan to submit a refund request to Apple for any not updated when iOS 11 hits... or maybe just not update. Ever.

HotHamBoy

Lords of Waterdeep got 64 bit support today!

Man, Ticket To Earth is such a great game. Really loving Chapter 2 and I had forgotten just how fun it was. I do wish it was a little harder, though. Hopefully when they finish all the Chapters we can get a new difficulty mode or a new game plus. Currently trying to rush through it, though, cuz the app is 1.5gb...

Every single day I curse myself for having gotten the 64gb Air 2 over the 128gb.

Every. Day.

I'm still bitter they they published a new XCOM (enemy within) instead of just adding a DLC to XCOM:enemy unknown.
Not for the price, but the principle.
Enemy unknown is long forgotten.

I mean, it was the same for consoles and PC.

I hope we get XCOM 2, I don't care how downgraded the graphics are.

I have over 30 games/apps on my phone that aren't updated for 64bits. The ones I still play every so often include:

Dungeon Raid
Joe Danger and Infinity
Spectromancer

I plan to submit a refund request to Apple for any not updated when iOS 11 hits... or maybe just not update. Ever.

I'm going to wait to upgrade for awhile and see how things play out.

There's a few games I still haven't gotten around to playing on my backlog.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
My five games that are going to hurt since they are gone forever :(

Monsters Ate My Condo
Worm Run
Mini Dash
Darkin (or Dungeon Raid)
1001 Attempts

We have one more 64 bit update to squeeze out of our back catalog before the axe falls but alas it won't be that one.

We've had some internal discussion about reclaiming and republishing the Monsters IP but it's hard to justify because it was never a big money maker. It does have huge sentimental value in the team though. So it might happen as a "goodwill" exercise one day.

kendrid

Banned
I searched for "SimCity" in this thread and 0 hits. In old threads there are hits here or there but not much on this game.

I am a SimCity BuildIt addict and I play a lot. I play on a Moto G5 plus and Kindle HD 8. On the G5 the game runs fine but the HD 8 is too slow. I am looking for a tablet to run this (and other games) on and I'm looking at the 2017 iPad or maybe Galaxy Tab S2 but some reviews say it is laggy already.

Do any of you have this game and if so can you please answer the following:
1) Which iPad do you own
2) how many seconds does it take for the game to load
3) How long in seconds does it take to load a town with a population of around 1,000,000

Thanks!

Matt Frost

We have one more 64 bit update to squeeze out of our back catalog before the axe falls but alas it won't be that one.

We've had some internal discussion about reclaiming and republishing the Monsters IP but it's hard to justify because it was never a big money maker. It does have huge sentimental value in the team though. So it might happen as a "goodwill" exercise one day.

Rollercoaster post of the month. Starts awesome then goes south quickly but suddelty hopes return. It will be a goodwill exercise indeed and a nice gift for the fans. Hope it happens the Super Crate Box way

iOS Gaming Sept 2017 | 32 bit is dead, long live 64 bit!

I seriously can't wait for Iron Marines coming in September, I've been waiting for that game for over a year. I love the Kingdom Rush games so much and I'm really excited to see how well they do with real time strategy.

Also curious if Nintendo will be showing anything new at Apples event.
Here here! If anyone can make a great strategy game it's the kingdom rush devs.

kendrid

Banned
1) iPad Pro 10.5" on Wi-Fi
2) 6.90-7.11 seconds
3) I'll let you know if I get that far lol

I know it is a pain but when picking random towns in the store you should see some with 1M. On a Pro what would you say the average time to load a town when clicking on it from the depot is no matter what the size? I just did 5 on my phone and of random sizes I have an average number. The Pro or 2017 iPad should blow away my phone but I am curious what the numbers are. My Kindle Fire HD 8 (2017 model) is 15-20 seconds lol. It is so painful to play on it I don't. I want a higher res tablet and speed to play on.

I do have to say the Pros on sale right now are tempting. $499 open box (like new) at Best Buy. I bought an iPad 2 shortly after release for $499. My daughter still uses it even though it is a laggy mess.

If you need a good Mayors Club I am in one where we freely trade land/beach/mountain/storage.

Thanks!

baconcow

iOS Gaming September 2017 | Last chance to wish a game had 32 more bits
iOS Gaming September 2017 | Paradox: Apple forgot to add wishlist to their iOS 11 wishlist
iOS Gaming September 2017 | 32-bit. It Was Fun While It Lasted.
iOS Gaming September 2017 | A Bit Tier End

Vashetti

Banned
Any suggestions for RPG/tower-building/defence style games?

iPhone SE here

Sad that Square Enix has pulled Crystal Defenders: Vanguard Storm from the store. It hasn't been updated since 2009 so I guess they weren't prepared to update it for iOS 11.

I miss the original Crystal Defenders :(

HotHamBoy

Any suggestions for RPG/tower-building/defence style games?

iPhone SE here

Sad that Square Enix has pulled Crystal Defenders: Vanguard Storm from the store. It hasn't been updated since 2009 so I guess they weren't prepared to update it for iOS 11.

I miss the original Crystal Defenders :(

These are the ones I think are the best:

Kingdom Rush series
Dungeon Warfare
Crystal Siege
Dungeon of the Endless
Anomaly 2
Anomaly Defenders
Block Fortress
Bad Hotel
Sentinal 4 Dark Star

That's a pretty good mix of TD games with different takes on the genre.

Dungeon Warfare is so good, overlooked. The graphics are ugly as sin but it's an excellent game.

Vashetti

Banned
These are the ones I think are the best:

Kingdom Rush series
Dungeon Warfare
Crystal Siege
Dungeon of the Endless
Anomaly 2
Anomaly Defenders
Block Fortress
Bad Hotel
Sentinal 4 Dark Star

That's a pretty good mix of TD games with different takes on the genre.

Dungeon Warfare is so good, overlooked. The graphics are ugly as sin but it's an excellent game.

Thanks! I'll check them out

RM8

Dungeon Raid
Joe Danger and Infinity
Spectromancer

Peggle Classic hurts :( I think after iOS 11, it's not that accurate to say iOS is a better gaming platform than Android. On Android you'd still have access to many of the best mobile games out there (some being the keyword - Peggle Classic is not on Android, lol). Of course eventually iOS will build a nice catalogue again, I guess.

awp69

I think Peggle Classic was also pulled from the App Store quite a while ago by PopCap. Also appears to be completely pulled (ie., not in my purchase history).

killercow

I think Peggle Classic was also pulled from the App Store quite a while ago by PopCap. Also appears to be completely pulled (ie., not in my purchase history).

They removed it a couple of weeks ago but it still shows in my purchased list.

Top Bottom