• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming August 2017 | Better Layton Never

awp69

I've always known it as Bust A Move in the US and Puzzle Bobble everywhere else! That's why I was surprised to see them call it Puzzle Bubble Journey here in the US! What in the world...

But I’m in the US and it has Bust A Move Journey as the title. I haven’t seen Puzzle Bobble anywhere except in this thread.

okno

But I’m in the US and it has Bust A Move Journey as the title. I haven’t seen Puzzle Bobble anywhere except in this thread.

Oh, haha, that's embarrassing. I somehow kept seeing it as Puzzle Bobble. My mind went screwy, oh lord I need a vacation.

PittaGAF

5 hours straight playing Darkest Dungeon last night.
My eyes are bleeding and I'm developing some sort of stress induced phobia.

Also not sure why, but I've stuck in my head this Lovecraftian voice that comments everything I do.

Graveyard is already packed....but now some 'heroes' are emerging from the crowd and have been selected as the core team (unless they horribly die of course).
I'm super short of man at arms tough.
Started the armors and weapons upgrades.

What a wonderful game.

I really like the idea of the progressing story in a randomized dungeon crawl, meeting certain criteria with the done dungeons.

The meta stories that pop up playing are incredible.
Like that time where I had just one room to explore to complete the mission but it was on the other side of the dungeon and I already camped, low on health, everyone stressed out by this weird cult....when right before last room we were ambushed by a group of cultists.
1 man went insta mad, the others died trying to escape.

GLORIOUS.

Btw I can see the game technically being totally playable on iPhone (right aspect ratio too), with adjustments on font dimension (I've read people with jb have side loaded the game on plus device and play as it is).
(Slightly)Bigger fonts and faster initial loading Quest time on iPad Air are my only (very minor) requests.

EDIT: speaking of other devices, I'm surprised the game isn't on Apple TV too, as the game already supports controllers in other platforms.
Conveniently the game already support iCloud.

5 hours straight playing Darkest Dungeon last night.
My eyes are bleeding and I'm developing some sort of stress induced phobia.

Also not sure why, but I've stuck in my head this Lovecraftian voice that comments everything I do.

Graveyard is already packed....but now some 'heroes' are emerging from the crowd and have been selected as the core team (unless they horribly die of course).
I find that the game conditions you to be as brutal and ruthless as the dungeons you send your parties into. Way more cost effective to use heroes until they're broken beyond repair and then just replacing them with fresh meat, save for a few exceptional fighters

PittaGAF

I find that the game conditions you to be as brutal and ruthless as the dungeons you send your parties into. Way more cost effective to use heroes until they're broken beyond repair and then just replacing them with fresh meat, save for a few exceptional fighters

Yes but I'm soft and I get attached to them.

I almost cried when my nymphomaniac brothel lover 'cleric' died.
I may break my iPad in 2 if Jorah, my tank, dies.
Yeah, I know some of them by name.

I know it won't bode well for my feelings :p

RustyO

I call it the Meat Wagon ;)

PittaGAF

Hmmmm.

My honeymoon with Darkest Dungeon already ended.

Now it's unconditional love for eternity.

Such a good game!!!!!
Almost completed the first 'story part', now all the mechanics started to click (till a new type of recruits appears, of course, or the last building unlocks).

I'm super bitter because due to my stupidity instead of curing my doctor I gambled and he was killed right before last enemy died.
So many things happened, but I don't want to spoil anything for others.

I really feel I robbed the devs, the price is outrageously low for such a game.
The narrator is awesome, and adds so much...Bastion style.

Briefly tried the game again on PC.
iPad is HANDS DOWN imho the best way to enjoy the game, close and personal, no matter the black bars or the tiny text.

Back dying.

okno

I'm not sure it aged well but PC oldie Wacky Wheels is out on iOS remastered in HD: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/wacky-wheels-hd/id1264424436?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo=4

WHAT?! Holy cow. I think about this game frequently. Growing up, we had a demo disc with a shareware copy of this on it and my brothers and I would play the hell out of it until the impending block would come. Never, ever, ever expected this to come back, let alone with an HD remaster on iOS! Whoop whoop!

awp69

Actually picked up Wacky Wheels. It’s okay. Controls seem off and occasionally don’t seem to register a press to turn. Also didn’t remember the tracks being as hard to follow (as far as where the edge of the track is).

It’s an okay little diversion for nostalgia but nothing more. Hopefully they can improve it with some updates, control wise especially.

PittaGAF

And of course I've just lost all my core team against the first real boss, which had 3 HP remaining.

I'm so sad.

Anyone knows if the equipped trinkets are gone forever or they magically return in the hamlet?
Because, of course, my 4 dream team was PACKED.
Lost also almost 8K in supplies.

I don't dare to open the game again and see myself.

I shouldn't have gone for the kill so early, and debuff a lot more, like there was no tomorrow.

Darkest Dungeon is so tense.

HotHamBoy

And of course I've just lost all my core team against the first real boss, which had 3 HP remaining.

I'm so sad.

Anyone knows if the equipped trinkets are gone forever or they magically return in the hamlet?
Because, of course, my 4 dream team was PACKED.
Lost also almost 8K in supplies.

I don't dare to open the game again and see myself.

I shouldn't have gone for the kill so early, and debuff a lot more, like there was no tomorrow.

Darkest Dungeon is so tense.

Hot tip for beginners: don't invest in your dudes much early on. There is an endless supply of meat for the grinder. Best thing to do is run'em to death and get out with as much loot as possible. Any cream that rises to the top can be benched for bigger things.

awp69

Metal Gear Solid 2 HD was released for Shield TV yesterday with MGS 3 slated to come as well. The article below suggests it may come to other Android devices. Wonder if they’ll make their way over to iOS at some point.

Even runs at 60 FPS.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/metal-gear-solid-2-hd-is-now-on-nvidias-shield-con/1100-6452772/

Speaking of MGS, there’s a top-down dual stick stealth shooter that came out on iOS today called Death Point. Looks pretty good and it’s premium ($5.99).

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=1169403502&mt=8

Not sure if I’ll pick it up this week having already purchased Bust A Move, Darkest Dungeon and Wacky Wheels (regret that last one).

Mik2121

Just got Darkest Dungeon and wow, the atmosphere is amazing.
I dunno why, I wasn't too sold on it when it was on PC but seeing everybody talk about it here and it being so cheap, I got the iOS version and damn... I feel like I'm stealing this from the devs' hands.

I have lost a couple guys already but one of my starting guys has been sticking it all through (only 4 dungeons though..) and I'm slightly attached to that fella. I guess I shouldn't.

Just got Darkest Dungeon and wow, the atmosphere is amazing.
I dunno why, I wasn't too sold on it when it was on PC but seeing everybody talk about it here and it being so cheap, I got the iOS version and damn... I feel like I'm stealing this from the devs' hands.

I have lost a couple guys already but one of my starting guys has been sticking it all through (only 4 dungeons though..) and I'm slightly attached to that fella. I guess I shouldn't.
The narration adds so much. The aesthetic, the design of warriors and enemies, the sense of power from every attack is already great, but the Wayne June's comments drip with such atmosphere that it makes the combat and environment feel that much exciting

Just lost my entire team to the necromancer, had him down to 4 health too. My occultist was just barely keeping us in the fight with his crit heals unti he met his untimely end

Pachimari

Finally decided to create a Canadian account so I could download Tekken, and I'm really loving it. It's everything I hoped it would be, so far. I love that I can unlock different fighters, and even different costumes and rank, while I can also customize my card decks with new attacks, or even upgrading my fighters with new skills. It plays as I would have wanted it to as well, as I quite liked the control scheme of Marvel Contest of Champions and Injustice, so it works just as well here swiping to move, holding down to break guards and tapping for basic attacks. I like that you can combine cards and use them as combo enders, launchers and finishers. There's also the loot boxes, health packs, crystal shards and coins but I am not bothered by this stuff in my mobile games at all. It also looks visually appealing and have some great and familiar sound effects and music. I'm very positive on this one.

I also got back into Rollercoaster Tycoon Classic yesterday which I absolutely still love. It's nice sitting on the sofa or in bed, leaning back and just relaxing to ones amusement park. I wish it had in-game music but it doesn't seem so, even though I've told the game I want music in the settings. I also wish there was an easier way of building multiple of the same thing or even paths without having to double tap every single tile.

PittaGAF

Guys, do you know if they sell some sort of straps that glue your body to your iPad, preventing throwing it 100 meters away against concrete wall playing certain darker games?

Asking for a friend.

Oynox

Isn't the 16:9 aspect ration quite annoying? Kept me from buying it, I really do not understand why thaws went that way.

PittaGAF

Isn't the 16:9 aspect ration quite annoying? Kept me from buying it, I really do not understand why thaws went that way.

I'm not saying they couldn't do it differently, but tbh it doesn't bother me at all.
Game is so dark you really don't notice while playing anyway...seems an extension of the actual play area.

The game is really SUPERB imho....I hadn't this much fun since Warhammer Quest.
I REALLY REALLY love how they advance the story while using random dungeons and stuff...it's super clever and I wish every story based game would do the same from now on.
Even if you die over and over (and you will) there is also a strong sense of advancement and time progression.
It's super clever, even if a bit daunting (between the dungeon and the hamlet you have to keep track of millions things).

And it's SUPER addictive.

I'm now at my third (hoping last) preparation for the Necromancer run.
So good.

Last run was totally terminated (meaning every candidate died) because at the end of a mission I somehow triggered a weird ritual and was teleported basically in Cthulhu house.
Didn't go well.

no angel

Darkest Dungeon is pretty great, in a stressful masochistic sort of way.

UI Could be a little better though, gets a bit fiddly sometimes. Especially when scrolling through your list of adventurers in the hamlet.

baconcow

Darkest Dungeon plays very well, but the empty space, at the top and bottom, is quite distracting. I’m sure the UI could have been formatted better to fit an iPad aspect ratio. Not a dealbreaker, but I hope this is reduced or removed.

awp69

Has anyone tried this yet?

Death Point by Andiks Ltd.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/death-point/id1169403502?mt=8

Peeps on TA said it plays like a top-down splinter cell game.

Mentioned it earlier but haven’t picked it up yet. Spending too much money! Does look pretty impressive.

Edit: I had some credit from surveys on Android (where for some reason it’s also a $1 cheaper) so picked it up. Only played there first mission but it’s damn good so far. Voice acting can be a little weak, but the core gameplay is excellent. Much more stealth oriented than a typical dual stick shooter. Controls work well and lots of graphical detail.

Although TA says it doesn’t support Mfi, it shows as compatible with my Shield TV so will try it out later and see if the controller works.

Mentioned it earlier but haven’t picked it up yet. Spending too much money! Does look pretty impressive.

Edit: I had some credit from surveys on Android (where for some reason it’s also a $1 cheaper) so picked it up. Only played there first mission but it’s damn good so far. Voice acting can be a little weak, but the core gameplay is excellent. Much more stealth oriented than a typical dual stick shooter. Controls work well and lots of graphical detail.

Although TA says it doesn’t support Mfi, it shows as compatible with my Shield TV so will try it out later and see if the controller works.
Are the virtual controls pretty good? That's always my worry with dual stick games that require precision.

awp69

Are the virtual controls pretty good? That's always my worry with dual stick games that require precision.

I think they are as far as movement. Honestly didn’t even have a gun that first mission so can’t comment on that. But they’re fine for movement and contextual things like picking up bodies and opening doors.

HotHamBoy

The game is really SUPERB imho....I hadn't this much fun since Warhammer Quest.
I REALLY REALLY love how they advance the story while using random dungeons and stuff...it's super clever and I wish every story based game would do the same from now on.
Even if you die over and over (and you will) there is also a strong sense of advancement and time progression.
It's super clever, even if a bit daunting (between the dungeon and the hamlet you have to keep track of millions things).

So what you are describing is something I've always found to be one of the coolest aspects of Shiren the Wanderer. It's a roguelike dungeon crawler and you "die" a lot but as you progress through the dungeons and towns you meet characters and can make decisions that won't have consequences until future runs.

Darkest Dungeon plays very well, but the empty space, at the top and bottom, is quite distracting. I’m sure the UI could have been formatted better to fit an iPad aspect ratio. Not a dealbreaker, but I hope this is reduced or removed.

I doubt it, we were all pretty sure DD wasn't even getting a tablet release a couple months ago. I imagine the game is built for the 16:9 aspect ratio and making it work in full screen for tablets is probably way beyond the scope of this port.

Considering that they are only charging $5 it seems that they didn't want to invest too much money that they weren't certain to recoup at a higher pricetag.

awp69

AR really doesn’t do much for me. There were a bunch of games to do it in the past — lots of sports themed ones especially. Not really sure why it’s making a comeback regardless of any advancements in technology.

Looking at the video even for EL to me it’s just a gimmick and actually distracts from the gameplay IMO.

I find VR more enticing and even some cardboard games are fun to play every once in a while. When costs come down for quality VR headsets, I’d be much more interested in that.

Caved in for Darkest Dungeon, been playing it on my iPad Mini 4.

Works like a gem, but sometimes the fonts are a bit small. Would be nice if they add the option to adjust the font size.

PittaGAF

WTF...I was going to attempt a run against the third boss in Darkest Dungeon.....and TWO of my core team characters have a red question mark on them (which is unexplained btw).

I JUST DISCOVERED that BOTH OF THEM went on mission ON THEIR OWN, so they aren't available for the time being.
You can read their 'away' adventures in the log.

This is incredible.
I'm SO IN LOVE.

awp69

Still early in but Death Point is pretty challenging. The stealth elements make it almost like a puzzle game at times having to figure out how to get past guards and cameras without being caught. It isn’t always as simple as staying in the shadows and/or getting up behind enemies and taking them out. Go one way that looks good and you could end up dead from other guards or a turret you didn’t realize was there.

killercow

I still have iOS 10.

They have taken it down? Without any explanation?

Well since the game won't be compatible with iOS 11, it will be taken down anyways. They did it before to avoid that. It will still work with any device with iOS10 or less and you'll be able to get it from your purchased list.

Well since the game won't be compatible with iOS 11, it will be taken down anyways. They did it before to avoid that. If will still work with any device with iOS10 or less and you'll be able to get it from your purchased list.

Yeah but..I was going to purchase it now loool No dice, then :| A shame.

This iOS11 thing is starting to suck.

awp69

So regardless of being 32-bit or not, all radiangames are completely gone from the App Store, right? Don’t even show up in my purchase history on my iPad Mini 2.

So sad. Some of my favorite iOS games. They were masters of the dual stick shooter.

Top Bottom