• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronFall: treat your New self to a good third-person shooter!

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I'm liking more the campaign the more I play it. Imo Is better than The Conduit's, NOVA 3 and Shadowgun's. Very impressed so far.

Play it in hard, though, it feels like the default setting (Thanks Blu!). Normal might indeed feel dull.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I'm liking more the campaign the more I play it. Imo Is better than The Conduit's, NOVA 3 and Shadowgun's. Very impressed so far.

Play it in hard, though, it feels like the default setting (Thanks Blu!). Normal might indeed feel dull.
Ok, there's a really cheap moment later on in the game (chapter 4 I think) where you:

1. Arrive pretty beat up at the battlefield (pulse > 100), and timing is beyond your control.
2. Cannot take cover
3. Are left on the marksmanship of your assault rifle since you have surely spent most/all of your concussive ammo at the preceding boss fight.

I cannot help but wonder if anybody QA'd that moment on hard difficulty : /

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, there's a really cheap moment later on in the game (chapter 4 I think) where you:

1. Arrive pretty beat up at the battlefield (pulse > 100), and timing is beyond your control.
2. Cannot take cover
3. Are left on the marksmanship of your assault rifle since you have surely spent most/all of your concussive ammo at the preceding boss fight.

I cannot help but wonder if anybody QA'd that moment on hard difficulty : /

Which part is that? I'm up to the
Volcano
can't recall such part, unless you are referring to the
helicopter turret section
, which I agree than can be argued that it isn't balanced but i didn't found it to be that hard to pass.

blu

Which part is that? I'm up to the
Volcano
can't recall such part, unless you are referring to the
helicopter turret section
, which I agree than can be argued that it isn't balanced but i didn't found it to be that hard to pass.
Exactly that one. It's not so much about some impossibility to pass the section, as it's about being lucky to pass it - with the exact same play you can either pass it, or get wiped out during the first 20 seconds. You're at the mercy of the game's RNG, just because you're placed at such shitty odds at the start.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, I finished the game. The Activity log reports 8 hours. I really liked the game, but the ending was anti-climatic, the story is nonsense anyway though. Up to the final I really enjoyed the game; it is one of my favorite portable shooters. I really like the gameplay, since I enjoy arcade-type shooters, where you can strafe and dodge bullets without dying instantly for being out of cover, unlike most modern FPS/TPSes.

The Good:

- Mostly, very good looking.
- Imo, the most technically impressive 3DS game to date.
- Good gun play and challenge (in hard mode).
- Good amount of content for the price.
- Stable framerate even during pitched action.

The bad:

- Art ranges from mediocre to bad.
- The story is nonsense.
- Laughable voice acting.
- Useless shotgun.

As Mobile/Portable FPSes/TPS goes, this is my top 10+ list:

1.- Resistance: R
2.- KZ:M
3.- RE:R
4.- Ironfall
5.- RE:M
6.- Uncharted: GoA
7.- NOVA 3
8.- MC4
9.- Shadowgun
10.- Dead Trigger
MC5
Unit 13
Resistance: BS
MC3
Moon Chronicles
Neon Shadow.

Not included: Port of older games, Metal Gear games and KI:U.

tkscz

Did not know there was an official thread for this game. So far I'm having a great time with it, who is giving it a hard time?

Also, who is actually buying the multiplayer? I have a simple time finding other players when playing the demo level (Tanks), but any other level takes either so much time that I'm not interested when I find someone, or no one ever joins.

blu

Okay, I finished the game.
Man, you're fast! I was about to possibly finish it yesterday myself, but got hit by food poisoning, which got me right while I was trying to play online : /

The Good:

- Mostly, very good looking.
- Imo, the most technically impressive 3DS game to date.
- Good gun play and challenge (in hard mode).
- Good amount of content for the price.
- Stable framerate even during pitched action.

The bad:

- Art ranges from mediocre to bad.
- The story is nonsense.
- Laughable voice acting.
- Useless shotgun.
I entirely agree with your assessment of the game. I just want to emphasize how rock stable the framerate is, regardless of what's happening on screen (and yes, it can get fairly hectic). I also want to add my own few remarks about what could be improved in the online:
  • The lobby system is good by itself, but is open to abuse by jackasses: often times you get a full lobby, with all players in ready state, but one or two morons flickering the ready state, or just staying in preparation phase forever. So instead of the lobby getting a game within a few tens of seconds, everybody gets to wait the full two minutes. That can be solved by (1) decreasing the timeout/preparation span to not more than a minute from the moment the lobby is full, and (2) disabling the going from ready to preparation again - once ready state is triggered, a player should stay ready or just disconnect.
  • Grenades are overpowered: their impact power and range is ok, but it seems to me they are biased toward dealing more damage to opponents rather than to the shooter, even if both target and shooter are at the same distance from the impact (e.g. shooting grenades in a melee).

Effect

Didn't realize this used the stylus. I think I'll have to redownload it and give that a try. Right now using the C-stick is frustrating as all hell. Not just that but movement in general too. Got to the end of the demo I think. Had to fight the robot/alien that had the energy shield. Had enough and just uninstalled. Will give it another try with the stylus though.

Top Bottom