• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is PUBG a GotY contender?

Ferrio

Banned
I'll be honest here, I've played Zelda and Horizon, both incredibly strong games, Splatoon 2 currently playing and having a great time, I own and hopefully soon play Yakuza 0 and Persona 5, I have a gaming PC on which I'm looking forward to Divinity OS2 and still playing Doom, Mario Odyssey and other games are still coming out.

I had to google PUBG, never heard of it before, at all (PlayerUnknowns Battlegrounds btw.).

Then again, I can be quite out of the loop in surprising areas so after seeing videos, this might get to be a contender for multiplayer of the year. But honestly, I can't see how it is revolutionary or industry changing in any way so, sorry, no, goty this won't be (but will try it out for sure, and maybe change my opinion).

Revolutionary or industry changing doesn't need to be a prerequisite for GOTY. The games you named; Zelda, horizon, splatoon, yakuza 0 and persona 5 are all unoriginal if not direct sequels of the previous game, yet they seem to be perfectly valid GOTY titles.

I had a lot of fun pretty early on with it but I find it kinda hard to come back to since getting a decent team can be real hit or miss. I suck at the game anyway, but I mean the kind of people.who get themselves killed in a minute flat.

When it's good it's damn good. Had one match where we got pushed down to a river and as we were holding our ground a boat came by which we ambushed, then stole the first teams truck and made a mad dash down the coastline to stay in the zone. Shit was awesome. Never had anything even close to that cool since though and I kinda got bored waiting for it to happen again.

I'll probably check in again sometime but I feel like it's something best played with a premade.

mlclmtckr

Banned
Revolutionary or industry changing doesn't need to be a prerequisite for GOTY. The games you named; Zelda, horizon, splatoon, yakuza 0 and persona 5 are all unoriginal if not direct sequels of the previous game, yet they seem to be perfectly valid GOTY titles.

Also, PUBG is way more revolutionary than those games (some of which I like.) I mean I don't know why some dude not having heard of a game means it isn't groundbreaking or important.

fuzzyset

It makes me feel things that I normally don't feel while playing games. It's quickly becoming one of my most played games of all time. So, yes for me.

I suppose it's possible that as it exits Early Access some changes might kill the game for me, but that's true of any multiplayer focused game, honestly.

Elandyll

Banned
They aren't eligible in the site's GotY if that's what your asking, at least that's how it was last year.
They probably shouldn't be elligible anyway, whether early access or green light.

Some games can be pretty different between their early access time and their actual release.
If the game's great now, it will also probably be great when it actually releases and compete for goty.

No because it's in early access and isn't really appealing to most people. I mean, if you love it then great, but in a year as crazy as 2017 has been "Twitch darling" isn't really a GOTY clincher.

MUnited83

For you.
I'll be honest here, I've played Zelda and Horizon, both incredibly strong games, Splatoon 2 currently playing and having a great time, I own and hopefully soon play Yakuza 0 and Persona 5, I have a gaming PC on which I'm looking forward to Divinity OS2 and still playing Doom, Mario Odyssey and other games are still coming out.

I had to google PUBG, never heard of it before, at all (PlayerUnknowns Battlegrounds btw.). Always remember that Goty awards are usually popularity contests first and foremost.

Then again, I can be quite out of the loop in surprising areas so after seeing videos, this might get to be a contender for multiplayer of the year. But honestly, I can't see how it is revolutionary or industry changing in any way so, sorry, no, goty this won't be (but will try it out for sure, and maybe change my opinion).

But not a single of the games you listed is revolutionary or industry changing either.

No because it's in early access and isn't really appealing to most people. I mean, if you love it then great, but in a year as crazy as 2017 has been "Twitch darling" isn't really a GOTY clincher.
"Not appealing to most people" yeah sure that's why it only sold 5 million copies so far, no one likes it.
Being in early access sure didn't invalidate FFXV appearing in the top 10 GOTY list on GAF either.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I still fail to see how it being in Early Access discounts it for GoTY. Not too mention it is only July and it seems to be a huge hit with people.

Gusto

Absolutely, and if the game comes out next year and still holds its value, then I say Yes for next year too. For me, GOTY represents the game that stood out for the year and that also took most of your time for the year.

Ferrio

Banned
But not a single of the games you listed is revolutionary or industry changing either.

I could see the argument for Zelda, as it shook up the series a bit and I think it'll have quite a bit of influence on open world games in the future. The others are completely treading old ground if not the exact same ground.

It's a contender, it does a lot of things we've seen already, but I've never seen a multiplayer game (Maybe CS or Siege) with this much tension.

The game is a straight up thriller.

Codeblue

I still fail to see how it being in Early Access discounts it for GoTY. Not too mention it is only July and it seems to be a huge hit with people.

It just depends on what you count as a game's release. Is the game out or is this just an indefinite beta test? I mean, it's either GotY now or when it comes out, the quality and popularity of the game is undeniable.

I have never played it and have no desire to play it, however it is a very fun game to watch s treams of if you can find a not annoying/ intrusive twitch streamer.

Protome

It just depends on what you count as a game's release. Is the game out or is this just an indefinite beta test? I mean, it's either GotY now or when it comes out, the quality and popularity of the game is undeniable.

They're charging money for it. It's a released product.

Rodelero

I'm starting to wonder if this forum has gone completely mad.

PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds is nowhere near finished. As wonderful as it is in concept, it is a deeply flawed game, and while I've had some great times on it, I don't really feel any urge to play it further until it is a lot closer to actually being finished.

There's just too many issues with it right now for it to be considered a 9/10 or 10/10 quality game, which is surely necessary for it to be 'Game of the Year'. The netcode problems which drastically alter the integrity of battles, and make melee fights a total farce. The confusion of mechanics between first and third person, including the deeply problematic ability to look around corners and through windows without revealing yourself, crazy in a game where he who moves first so often loses. The many, many 'gameable' elements in terms of the loot/car spawning being all too predictable and, as a consequence, games being all too repetitive. Vehicle physics that seem flawless one second and totally broken the next. The total mess of trying to jump over objects because there is no mantling. I could go on and on listing issues, frankly, and that's not really a knock against PUBG - most of these things will be solved over time - but it more than enough reason for why it simply can't be GotY. As silly as game awards often are, PUBG getting GotY would devalue the award forever.

PUBG is a wonderful concept, but right now, you could place the concept in a whole host of other shooters/action games and it would immediately be a much better game. Imagine PUBG but with the gameplay mechanics of The Last of Us, or GTAO. There's a game the year. This thing is simply way too shoddy right now.

Hell no

Even though its a fun multiplayer game, its still a mess, crappy animations, stiffness, bugs and the list goes on.

Also, as it is, the game has little content, I dont understand how can people regard it to such high praise, its a very unfinished game, even if fun, still very unfinished.

The game's out, you can buy it and play it. I think it's semantics to argue over whether or not it can or can't be a GotY contender just because it hasn't hit 1.0.

Besides, regardless where you stand on it, it'll probably win Giant Bomb's GotY considering how much they all talk about it.

Durante

But honestly, I can't see how it is revolutionary or industry changing in any way so
Unlike Horizon, Splatoon 2 and Zelda?
Honestly, I think you'll be surprised looking at some games releasing a few years from now and seeing how much they adapt from PUBG compared to most any game you listed.

I think people don't fully appreciate what it means for a completely new IP without any traditional marketing to sell more than 5 million on PC alone.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink

I had to google PUBG, never heard of it before, at all (PlayerUnknowns Battlegrounds btw.). Always remember that Goty awards are usually popularity contests first and foremost.

PUBG is one of the biggest sellers of 2017, 5 mil in 4 months on only one platform. It shows no signs of slowing down (actually selling even faster over time) and will release xbox this year soif it's a popularity contest, pubg is gonna have a hard time being below top 5.

That's true, and I already regret wording it like that (and in many cases, I heavily disagree with gotys in regard to quality and originality) which is why I've added "popularity contest" in an edit. And I should add, probably also "big publisher behind it" apart from outliers such as Rocket League. This year is full of, if you want to say so 'unoriginal/uninnovative' games (I would disagree on Zelda in that regard, though) but all they have in common is that they're incredibly polished and leading their genres regarding quality. More than, say, Dragon Age:I or similiar "huh?" decisions. I just can not see a game like PUBG in early access leading in anything but multiplayer, especially since I haven't heard about it anywhere but here before. Yet, again, I just might be out of loop on PC gaming apart from the niches I like.

Magwik

Banned
The game has sold more than the Nintendo Switch and both have been out in nearly the same time frame.
It's pretty fucking big dude.

Nabs

I'm amazed at how out of touch some of you are 😄

This game is huge, and it's only getting bigger.

Durante

Out-selling/out-influencing BOTW is debatable.

And it's more of a Playstation/Nintendo bias.

I agree otherwise.
Zelda BOTW has been out on more platforms and for longer than PUBG, and it has sold less so far. Furthermore, it is constrained by only realistically selling on Switch any more, while PUBG is still (a) selling roughly 50k copies a day, (b) going to see the entire progressive sales cycle on PC and (c) coming to not one but two rather popular and widespread additional platforms in the future.

I don't really see a way for Zelda to remotely outsell PUBG.

I'm amazed at how out of touch some of you are 😄

This game is huge, and it's only getting bigger.

This site voted Bayonetta 2 GOTY (because it was the best game that year)

What is huge isn't really what is best anyway. The best thing to come from PUBG's success imo is it might light a fire under Valve's ass and get them to put some more effort into CS:GO. PUBG is getting awfully close to GO's numbers. It's mighty impressive regardless of the game's quality.

Daffy Duck

Hell no

Even though its a fun multiplayer game, its still a mess, crappy animations, stiffness, bugs and the list goes on.

Also, as it is, the game has little content, I dont understand how can people regard it to such high praise, its a very unfinished game, even if fun, still very unfinished.

Little content? What extra content does an early access game need a few months after release exactly??

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
This site voted Bayonetta 2 GOTY (because it was the best game that year)

What is huge isn't really what is best anyway. The best thing to come from PUBG's success imo is it might light a fire under Valve's ass and get them to put some more effort into CS:GO. PUBG is getting awfully close to GO's numbers. It's mighty impressive regardless of the game's quality.

He's probably talking about how many who has "never heard of pubg" before and not about huge=good.

PUBG is my game of the year and it's not even close anymore. I've gotten family and friends to buy and play the game with me based purely on watching me play for a little while, and it's been great playing with them. Every single round of PUBG is fresh and intense in different ways. There are very few games like it, and none as accessible.

Out-selling/out-influencing BOTW is debatable.

no it's not

It's an awesome game but it's really janky and it would require them addressing a lot of issues I have in that regard (to be fair, they probably will) in order for me to consider it a goty contender.

I doubt it would score higher on my list than Zelda or Splatoon 2 unless they made sweeping improvements by the end of the year.

I think having it in early access helps its case because we all see the progress being made. For me, it also hurts the case for the game because part of my experience with the game involve shitty servers, which is something they aim (or maybe already have) addressed. Do I only consider my initial experiences with it, or do I consider the progress it has made since launch? How heavily do I weigh said progress? That's not as much of an issue as Zelda or Splatoon, where the games are functionally fine for the most part, with the only additions generally being content drops that build on systems already in the game rather than changing/building systems while I'm already playing the game.

I can easily see it being Giant bombs GOTY. Zelda would get some push, so will Nier by like 3 of the guys.

I think Jeff would push back on NieR pretty hard for actual goty. I'm sure it'll make the list, but I don't think it'll be very high on the list.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
PUBG has outsold Zelda, Horizon, Nier Automata, Persona 5, Resident Evil 7, and Nioh, often by very significant margins, and it's not even a multiplatform game, which would suggest it appeals to more people than any of those.

It's not like it has low system requirements and can run on any toaster in the world either, meaning th potential PC audience is notably more limited than something like Diablo 3 or League of Legends.

Sheroking

no it's not

Battlegrounds will easily outsell most games in existence. It's also very much a different animal, though, and there are a lot of one-game gamers in this wheelhouse.

Out-influencing? There's not much original in Battlegrounds. This game has basically existed elsewhere in other forms for many years. The Battle Royale concept was popularized by H1 moreso than PUBG, even if PUBG does it so much better.

For me, it merits no consideration. It's a multiplayer-only work in progress with flaws, and that's a hard thing to stack up to some of the best SP games in modern history.

PUBG has outsold Zelda, Horizon, Nier Automata, Persona 5, Resident Evil 5, and Nioh, often by very significant margins, and it's not even a multiplatform game, which would suggest it appeals to more people than any of those.

I'm probably just too old then. The only two places I ever see it mentioned are GAF and that Polygon thing I don't watch. None of my gaming friends know about it/play it/care.

Battlegrounds will easily outsell most games in existence. It's also very much a different animal, though, and there are a lot of one-game gamers in this wheelhouse.

Out-influencing? There's not much original in Battlegrounds. This game has basically existed elsewhere in other forms for many years. The Battle Royale concept was popularized by H1 moreso than PUBG, even if PUBG does it so much better.

For me, it's merits no consideration. It's a multiplayer only work in progress with flaws, and that's a hard think to stack up to some of the best SP games in modern history.

There's a reason why FPSs were originally called Doom-clones instead of Catacomb 3-D clones or Wolfenstein clones.

Mesoian

Not until I can fucking vault.

Also, personally, the game's complete lack of style keeps me from falling in love. I'll play it with friends, but in alone time, it's Splatoon all the way.

Sheroking

There's a reason why FPSs were originally called Doom-clones instead of Catacomb 3-D clones or Wolfenstein clones.

Because Doom popularized it.

It's almost as though H1Z1 was, and in some ways remains, a hugely popular game. In this example, PUBG isn't Doom, it's Quake or Unreal Tournament.

Swarna

Zelda BOTW has been out on more platforms and for longer than PUBG, and it has sold less so far. Furthermore, it is constrained by only realistically selling on Switch any more, while PUBG is still (a) selling roughly 50k copies a day, (b) going to see the entire progressive sales cycle on PC and (c) coming to not one but two rather popular and widespread additional platforms in the future.

I don't really see a way for Zelda to remotely outsell PUBG.

I can see a remote chance of it doing so based on how Switch might perform when not supply-constrained. It's basically a mandatory purchase with the system. Wii U is irrelevant in these conversations, of course.

I meant to focus more on the influence aspect, though. Open-world games are probably going to see some influence based on stated feedback from other devs playing BOTW.

So it's kind of debatable (as I've stated), but I do lean aggressively towards PUBG by both metrics. I didn't mean to convey that I personally think Zelda is close in either metric. I just didn't think it was fair to lump in BOTW with the rest of the games in these conversations (Horizon, Splatoon, Persona, etc). And as far as GOTY contenders go, I think your usual games media outlets is going to favour Zelda over PUBG.

Top Bottom