• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is PUBG a GotY contender?

I don't understand where OP is coming from.

Not only is the game fantastic, but damn near every video game outlet and podcast haven't been able to shut up about it all year, not to mention its astronomical sales figures.

Clearly PUBG is going to be in the GOTY conversation.

24(16?) players were maxed I think on COD.
The tension would still be the same, one shot, one kill, one life.

I don't see how a bigger map would make the game more exciting because it would take a long time for any action to happen while a smaller map like COD, FFA action would happen almost instantly.

I guess I am too used to COD/BF different style of gameplay that PUBG is basically a combination of COD Hardcore+BF bigger map that I can't see the appeal for this hide and seek game gameplay because with COD, you get your instant action, with BF, you get a lot of people to shoot at.

There's an entire sandbox map and an RNG element to looting. The ring forces the action to move to an eventual climax. It's a completely different dynamic. You're flat out wrong in thinking this is anything like Call of Duty in any shape or form.

Fliesen

Not until it clears early access.

Giantbomb were arguing whether or not it qualifies, but since it'll release on one platform in 2017 (on Xbox One), it should qualify.

If it got shafted in 2017 due to a technicality, i doubt it would get the accolades it deserves, because by 2018 there's gonna be some serious PUBG fatigue.
Imagine if Rocket League had somehow not qualified for nomination until 2016

Keinning

How about we wait a few months before we have this discussion. Its the summer with nothing to play and plenty other games are slated to come out at the end of the year. If its still this popular in November, then sure why not but there is a lot of time between now and November and a lot of things can change especially since the game is still in early access and is constantly changing.

things will change till november indeed
PUBG will get a console release and get even more popular, for instance

i don't even have the game and i still find this needless bashing from GAF just because its a multiplayer game/it's not their favourite game of the year childish. GOTY awards are mostly popularity contests and PUBG is pretty damn well popular. it's not rocket science.

Kimkitten88

Neo Member
Yeah defiantly. Pubg and Zelda for me so far. Pyre might be up there but we'll see. Mario will most likely be a contender aswell.

Willenium

OK, I watched all the steam trailers and I think I understand this now.

2 things:
1. No stealth kills?? There's a clip in one trailer of a sniper perched on a cliffside. A heavily-camouflaged dude comes crouch-walking out of the bushes behind him and .... abruptly stands up and baseball-bat-swings a club into the back of the sniper's head.

2. There's a scene where 2 players are outside of a house, obviously with someone barricaded inside. One player shoots out the windows, the other player kicks a hole in the door and tosses some sort of incendiary explosive inside the house. The door blows open, flames everywhere!! The person who was inside ... casually walks out of the house, covered in flames, and gets shot to death.

If this game is literally all about combat, why not add a little bit of flair as a reward for stealth kills? Or make flames affect how a character controls somehow. I understand that this game is in "pre-release" stage or whatever, but if you're not even going to attempt to have any sort of story or depth (beyond combat) in this game, the developers should really make every other aspect shine. Watching the trailers, it doesn't look like they've done that.

This does look like fun for people who are into this type of game, though. GOTY? Probably not.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
saying gravity rush 2 is a GOTY contender is way more outrageous than PUBG you know

Isn't all matter opinion? I enjoyed Horizon's combat but I absolutely hated the open world design and i didn't care at all for the story or characters and to me it dosen't deserve GOTY. but at same time its not outrageous to win GOTY because there lot of people enjoyed it, who am I to say other wise.

No game this year has had this kind of physiological effect on me than PUBG. As the game gets into top 10, your heart starts to race. Winning a game is the best feeling, and getting second feels brutal. The highs in PUBG are some of the biggest highs at the moment. If that effect on the player doesn't warrant the game to be in the GOTY conversation, then its a discussion that is incomplete.

Isn't all matter opinion? I enjoyed Horizon's combat but I absolutely hated the open world design and i didn't care at all for the story or characters and to me it dosen't deserve GOTY. but at same time its not outrageous to win GOTY because there lot of people enjoyed it, who am I to say other wise.

I think he was saying from the standpoint of actual publications and fan bases naming it GOTY, not so much talking about the quality of the game itself.

Ladekabel

24(16?) players were maxed I think on COD.
The tension would still be the same, one shot, one kill, one life.

I don't see how a bigger map would make the game more exciting because it would take a long time for any action to happen while a smaller map like COD, FFA action would happen almost instantly.

I guess I am too used to COD/BF different style of gameplay that PUBG is basically a combination of COD Hardcore+BF bigger map that I can't see the appeal for this hide and seek game gameplay because with COD, you get your instant action, with BF, you get a lot of people to shoot at.

I think the next time you're at your sister's and have a bit of spare time ask your nephew if he'll let you play a couple of rounds. I don't think you quite get the game.

DxD

Banned
There's an entire sandbox map and an RNG element to looting. The ring forces the action to move to an eventual climax. It's a completely different dynamic. You're flat out wrong in thinking this is anything like Call of Duty in any shape or form.

I saw my nephew played it.
Either he was really bad at aiming, or everyone was equipped with +100 HP Vest and he was equipped with an awful gun.
That was why I walked away because he found a person, but it took him nearly a half/full clip to kill one person.

Keinning

Isn't all matter opinion?

Not when the thread is discussing GOTY awards, no

for personal preference, sure why not? even Vroom in the Night Sky can be a personal GOTY if someone truly enjoyed it. neither it or PUBG would be mine right now and theres still half an year to get more stuff.

I think he was saying from the standpoint of actual publications and fan bases naming it GOTY, not so much talking about the quality of the game itself.

yeah. i enjoy Gravity Rush 2 quite a lot in fact (despite finding it a step down from the first game). I just dont have any delusions over it winning anything other than an honorable mention for a smaller website.

Either he was really bad at aiming, or everyone was equipped with +100 HP Vest and he was equipped with an awful gun.
That was why I walked away because he found a person, but it took him nearly a half/full clip to kill one person.

That has.... nothing to do with comparisons you made. Also, the game has some latency issues that are being addressed.

Ferrio

Banned

Sounds like all of the above.

Jockel

It continues to grow in popularity every day, this game isn't slowing down anytime soon.
While it is super popular and I agree with the "anytime soon" part, I think this game won't be pulling player numbers like it does now in a year or something. Just tales from my ass™, of course.
your taste hardly align with the majority seeing as PUBG keeps being the most viewed game on twitch for weeks straight
Completely anecdotal, I know, but the people I used to play with regularly (and they were way more involved than I am) moved on and just occasionally come back for a round or two. I could see other people doing the same. Doesn't mean it has to happen.
It will be completely new to large amounts of those audiences though.
Good point.
A game that takes 60 hours to get stale sounds pretty darn great to me. :)
It absolutely is a great game and I enjoyed my time with it a lot. And I will keep playing until I get completely bored with it. The point I'm trying to make is that I'm guessing many people will get bored with the game over the months. I don't see this having the staying power of CSGO.

Another question is can a game you've only watched and never played be GOTY contender?
I have watched so many hours of PUBG that it would have to be in my top ten without ever playing it.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

Oh, if thats the case then yeah there is no way GR2 would win official GOTY. I absolutely loved GR2 and to me it deserved to win but it seems game is already forgotten, i barely see anybody talks about the game.

I'm sure there are a lot of people who have enjoyed it enough to consider it as such. But given the quality of games this year, for me it's not even close. It's still in early access as well. Not that I don't think a game being early access necessarily means it can't be considered GOTY, but because it's as such, it's still to rough around the edges compared to finished games this year.

Not when the thread is discussing GOTY awards, no

for personal preference, sure why not? even Vroom in the Night Sky can be a personal GOTY if someone truly enjoyed it. neither it or PUBG would be mine right now and theres still half an year to get more stuff.

yeah. i enjoy Gravity Rush 2 quite a lot in fact (despite finding it a step down from the first game). I just dont have any delusions over it winning anything other than an honorable mention for a smaller website.

Yeah, I understand what you were saying after the second post. My b. GR2 isn't winning anything major if we're being honest.

Lunar15

I'm not the user you quoted, but I can give you my two cents about this line of thinking, since I partially agree with it.

Imagine a game as a school essay or work project, or even an exam. Let's say you are the developer of the game or, in this case, the person tasked with doing the essay. You are 30% done. You're still missing 70% of that essay, but you're "competing" against others that have been finished already. The person in charge of evaluating the essay reads it and says it's the best essay in the class.

That speaks volumes about the quality of your essay, right? Sure. But there's also 70% of your work that is still not there, and nothing guarantees that all that work that is missing won't massively and substantially alter the quality of your essay. Maybe your thesis is impleccable, but you reach the conclusion that the Earth is flat and that the sun is actually a light bulb in the sky. Who knows. The potential for greatness is equally as valid as the potential for disaster.

Now, if you think of games in these terms, you'll see why some people (or at least me) consider it important to have a landmark "official" release for a game: it's an arbitrary limit that allows you to judge a game as a whole for what it is at the moment of review, not what it may become.

Maybe PUBG becomes the greatest game of the decade. Maybe it doesn't even get released in the end, as so many incredibly popular Early Access games have done: ARK, Rust, 7 Days to Die, DayZ, etc. Again, having a "1.0" allows to say: "This is the game, I'll judge it as what the developer considered to be a completed, functional, commercial version of it."

tl;dr: It's an arbritary measure to give all games an equal playing field.

If the essay is the best in the class being 30% done, doesn't that reflect more poorly on the other essays that are 100% complete and not as good?

GOTY is 100% subjective. This isn't a graded test or some kind of race. If the people who are judging say "this game was the best game I played all year", does it really matter if it's 'finished' or not? And honestly, what games are really finished these days? As I mentioned before, Bethesda's won many GOTY awards with games that had to get patched for years after release.

Having some kind of "fair playing field" is just buying into the nonsensical idea that reviews and awards can ever truly be "objective".

DxD

Banned
That has.... nothing to do with comparisons you made. Also, the game has some latency issues that are being addressed.

My comparison is still fair though.
BF huge map, COD Hardcore mode with one life. Big map with one death+one winner take all tension gameplay.

Now you just told me that there was another element of RNG with loot.
After you've found/equipped your gun, you are back to the gameplay of BF, killing hundred of enemies but with a twist that everyone has one life.
In the end, it still goes back to the same mechanic of BF+COD HC mode.

Like I said before, maybe I am too old and jaded to see the appeal because it just looks like a FFA+1 life rule set BF server.

Somnia

While it is super popular and I agree with the "anytime soon" part, I think this game won't be pulling player numbers like it does now in a year or something. Just tales from my ass™, of course.

Sure maybe it will eventually die down, no one knows. However it is now topping 400k peak player count and getting closer to cs:go and dota 2 numbers every day. Granted I doubt it'll hit 900k+ like those have, but it's popularity will keep getting larger imo, even more so with console.

Even if PUBG doesn't get any GOTYs it doesn't matter.

PUBG matters more than games like P5 or Nier could ever dream to.

I say that as someone who has never played and has no interest in playing PUBG.

Lunar15

BF huge map, COD Hardcore mode with one life. Big map with one death+one winner take all tension gameplay.

After you've found/equipped your gun, you are back to the gameplay of BF, killing hundred of enemies but with a twist that everyone has one life.

Like I said before, maybe I am too old and jaded to see the appeal because it just looks like a FFA+1 life rule set BF server.

You don't get it man. You've really gotta play it.

I'm 32 and I've been playing multiplayer shooters since I was little. The appeal of PUBG, for me at least, is that it's something totally fresh and new in a world where shooters have become pretty predictable.

I'm sure it will be for a lot of people, but it's still far too janky and broken in a lot of ways for me personally. It probably wouldn't even touch my top 10 right now.

Someone above talked about a Battlefield game mode set up with Battle Royale rules, and I'd honestly much rather play that because it would be way better mechanically. The real boon for PUBG to me is that it has a dedicated player base and you're always going to get a match with 100 people without wait times. I've said it many times before, but I'm waiting for someone to come along and apply AAA levels of care and polish to a Battle Royale style game. I will play the hell out of that.

I don't understand the point. Seriously, why is this game funny?

I only see a mix of DayZ without zombies and Stealth Death Match from MGO2.

No, it still isn't the same. There's not 2 teams. It's either everyone for themselves, duo or quad squads. It adds a completely different dynamic when it's 100 people, on a huge map with random insertion points, and an RNG looting that involves not just guns but armor, attachments, health related items, etc.

You really need to play it to understand if you still think BF or CoD is the same with a one life mechanic.

Absolutely not. Its more of a mod/hack than an actual game.

What is this nonsense? Lol

Anyway yeah, I'd say it's up there. It's a hell of an experience to play. If PlayerUnknown keeps his word and it's out of early access by the end of the year I can definitely see it taking home some GotYs. I'm really excited to see the future of this game, and hope it evolves into the esport that PU envisions it as.

Early access games shouldn't be considered in GOTY contender. Wait for it to be out of EA and officially out, that's the year it should contend.

nynt9

Cool, but almost every game builds on something else so what's your point?

Top Bottom