• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch wins Game of the Year at The Game Awards 2016

duckroll

We know who rigged it! Congrats Blizzard! Congrats Jeff Kaplan! <3 OW.

The very sad reality is despite the populace shifting more towards multiplayer games for years, awards do not reflect that. I honestly believe that's because of two reasons. One because games media does not play multiplayer games for a long period of time due to the nature of their work. And two because if you don't put in the effort to "git gud" you'll lose which can lead to frustration and you won't experience the higher level of play multiplayer games have to offer.

Looking at the history of Spike's Video Game Awards it's clear that games media is unlikely to EVER give a game Game of the Year due primarily to its multiplayer component.

Before I list these off I want to make it overwhelmingly clear that I love a lot of these winners and some of them absolutely deserve the win.

In 2004 GTA San Andreas won over Halo 2.
In 2005 Resident Evil 4 won over World of Warcraft.
In 2006 The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion won over Gears of War.
In 2007 Bioshock won over COD4 (which wasn't even nominated) and Halo 3.
And Mass Effect. Nothing to do with MP I just had to note that.
In 2009 and 2010 Uncharted 2 and Red Dead Redemption won over both COD titles, both Halo games, Left 4 Dead games etc. You get the idea.

Fast forward to 2014 to the first annual Game Awards. Dragon Age Inquisition (jesus christ) wins over Destiny and Super Smash Brothers Wii U. That was just a bad year for gaming.

This year 2 multiplayer games are in the Game of the Year nominees. Overwatch and Titanfall 2. Titanfall 2 was lauded for its single player campaign so it got nominated while Battlefield 1 which is being lauded for its multiplayer didn't make the cut. Other than Hearthstone Overwatch is the only multiplayer only game nominated in over a decade.

So yeah it seems like unless games media pivots hard from a decades worth of history Overwatch won't win game of the year regardless of quality. I hope they do though.

antitrop

My GOTY and one of the best games I've ever played. It replaces Counter-Strike as my favorite online shooter ever.

jmaine_ph

In a industry that complains about online only games just a year ago, we now have a game that is online only winning GOTY. Life comes at you fast.

IronLich

Overwatch deserved it the way it took gaming by storm.

Congrats to the team at Blizzard that put this titan together, and introducing a new generation of waifus and badasses.

Gurnlei

My pick. Had more fun in this game than any other in 2016.

ThornyUnselfishAttwatersprairiechicken-size_restricted.gif

MartyStu

It got me to play a multiplayer shooter for the first time...ever. And keeps getting me to play it.

Well deserved in my book.

Top Bottom