• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch wins Game of the Year at The Game Awards 2016

Mossybrew

Gold Member
I think part of this win is the way the game - especially the characters - just caught fire in so many gamers' imaginations. What other game had so many characters instantly become so iconic and loved? And in many cases, loved too much. And it wasn't just a flash in the pan, the fandom continues to be strong. Every update met with strong interest and enthusiasm from all corners. Sure, Uncharted 4 was great, but it just didn't resonate like this.

Wanderer5

Overwatch for GOTY and Dishonored 2 for best action/adventure, so freaking happy. Congrats to these two and the other winners.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well, I mean, Exploratory is right. Historically it's been incredibly difficult for multiplayer only games to win.

Falchion

I have no problem with a multiplayer only game winning, I just didn't think it was the best multiplayer game of the year.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Spot on. These awards were all spot on.

Quonny

I don't like Overwatch but it winning this award is way more acceptable than eSports game of the year, which makes no sense.

Blizzard is an amazing company that knows how to give people what they want and deliver quality. Congrats to them.

My pick woulda been Hitman, Uncharted 4, then Overwatch but I put in 50+ hours into Overwatch so can't complain too much.

Dishonored 2 for action/adventure though just seems bizarre.

Lunar15

Well, I mean, Exploratory is right. Historically it's been incredibly difficult for multiplayer only games to win.

Yep, and this is why I'm perfectly fine with the pick. I love TW3, it's one of my favorite games ever and absolutely deserved to win last year, but I'm really glad to see GOTY recognition for non-story driven games.

Well deserved!! My favorite game of the year so far and I can see myself playing it for a long time after, especially if Blizzard keeps up the support

Ganado

Deserved. Gameplay is king.
If that was the case, DOOM should've won. Fast-paced RIP AND TEAR HUGE GUTS is so good. Even the MP is good for not being the main focus.

Bought Overwatch at release and have played like 16h, bought DOOM in the Fall sale and have already put in 25h.

Eusis

Nooo, Doom should've won because.

Uhh...

It's the only game I own of the finalists.

... Ok, I'd probably only go with either Doom or Overwatch realistically, and Overwatch seems to be properly carrying on TF2's torch so kudos to that. Would've been kind of amusing to have nominated AND awarded Blood & Wine though.

Rked

are people serious with the comments best games ever? its alright but not even in the same league as counter strike, doom, Halo..

Gartooth

Well deserved. The game feels like a huge breathe of fresh air and is the standout from this year. I think Doom also would have been a solid GotY choice, but the game on that list that had the biggest impact in the gaming community was definitely Overwatch. I usually enjoy single player games way more too, so Overwatch being my favorite game this year is the best surprise I have had with video games this generation.

Top Bottom