• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is PUBG a GotY contender?

Budi

If it's released this year, then sure why not. It's not my cup of tea, but plenty people seem to like it so I won't be surprised if it grabs some Goty awards. But while it's in early access no. Since people don't judge it as an released and finished game, they will forgive flaws because of the EA status while they aren't as lenient with other games. It shouldn't be qualified for "voting". And there's a possibilty the devs will fuck it up with drastic changes and updates, or it wont be updated enough to truly shine.

it would be a miracle if an early access generic survival game that looks like ps2 become a GOTY contender in the same year games like Zelda Botw, Resident evil 7, Yakuza 0, horizon, Evil within 2, and many more has come out

Thank you for sharing with us that you value games that have yet to come out like TEW2 over existing, absurdly popular games that you have a strong opinion about despite clearly not having played them.

Just curious. Is the community for this game considered toxic?

Every multiplayer community is considered toxic.

For what it's worth, I've played over 100 matches of squads with randos and maybe ran into two people who sucked. Most people are friendly and communicate.

Gaz_RB

Man this thread is drawing out the haters. You can't gatekeep the GOTY because it doesn't fit into your arbitrary definition of what qualifies or not. Did it come out this year? Yes? Than its eligible for game of the year.

Sorry, not everyone is just going to give it to Horizon or Zelda. Those discounting the phenomenon that is PUBG should examine how disconnected they are from mainstream gaming tastes. This isn't just another trendy "survival" game. It's (finally) the polished game that propels this innovative new genre into the mainstream.

selo

Nah, no way. Has tons of problems and jankiness still. Hopefully when its out of early access it'll be polished enough (although probably by that time, another battle royale style game might come out)

GRaider81

It's definitely on my list. Doesn't matter if it's still EA or not. It's a game ive had dozens of hours of fun with this year.

Rncewind

It’s thirteen years old and still has millions of active players. Literally no other MMO has that sort of longevity.

Yes and its the most popular mmo (cursiv is fun!), hence why i wrote mmos need a new spark in general. I know its thirteen years old, i played it back when it launched, thank you.

Anywas off topic

Would love for persona to win GOTY but when was the last time a JRPG won?

I love JRPGs, but as the year goes on, Persona 5 falls lower and lower on my list. There are far too many significant issues with it for it to be GOTY. In a year as varied and interesting as this, it just doesn't hack it.

As for PUBG, I think it's great that people like it. I think it would be a slap in the face to all the fantastic creativity that has happened this year thus far for it to win.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Just curious. Is the community for this game considered toxic?

Mute in the lobby is necessary, but otherwise I havent encountered a single douchebag in 50 hours of playtime. Theres a button to quickly mute/unmute.

What you should be more worried about is your teammate having a mic at all lol. And you can always play solo.

SeppOCE

No way. So much about it needs to be fixed and disregarding that while flailing GOTY around is why its already recieving micro transactions and being pushed as a competitive shooter when its not ready to be called that.

Rodelero

A lot of the arguments pro PUBG in this thread seem to revolve around its popularity, sales numbers, twitch watchers, and so forth. This seems like a very tenuous way to pick 'game of the year'. It is particularly so if you consider that there are many games with far, far more reach than PUBG - many mobile games have multiple million daily active users. I don't see anyone proposing any mobile games in here however.

I think I've read the entire thread now and I still don't think I've seen a single strong argument for how PUBG can be GotY despite being so janky, so flawed, and so unfinished that doesn't rely on its popularity.

Obviously PUBG should be eligible - but right now it isn't nearly good enough. Unless it improves a great deal by November it will be overlooked by the vast majority. It will get a lot of honourable mentions but very few wins because it doesn't stand up to critique at all well.

danm999

A lot of the arguments pro PUBG in this thread seem to revolve around its popularity, sales numbers, twitch watchers, and so forth. This seems like a very tenuous way to pick 'game of the year'. It is particularly so if you consider that there are many games with far, far more reach than PUBG - many mobile games have multiple million daily active users. I don't see anyone proposing any mobile games in here however.

I think I've read the entire thread now and I still don't think I've seen a single strong argument for how PUBG can be GotY despite being so janky, so flawed, and so unfinished that doesn't rely on its popularity.

Obviously PUBG should be eligible - but right now it isn't nearly good enough. Unless it improves a great deal by November it will be overlooked by the vast majority. It will get a lot of honourable mentions but very few wins because it doesn't stand up to critique at all well.

In terms of GAF, it's a popular vote so that seems as good a metric as any.

Corpekata

Banned
Most of the popularity comments are because of the absurd amount of people that are like "I had to google it and I'm so in touch with the common gamer" posts by folks that clearly live in their own bubble.

I mean, it's clearly not going to win here given it's a PC only title (and EA will disqualify it) for now, but it's also clearly getting a ton of attention from press sites that will likely include it presuming they don't have a No Early Acces rule.

Ferrio

Banned

I don't think the comparison holds up. Mobile games get the numbers because they're cheap (if not free), are on a system almost everyone has, have extremely low requirements to run (do you have a phone?), and they advertise like crazy in their own ecosystem.

PUBG is becoming insanely popular in spite of lots of things that are going against it:

-Janky
-Only on PC, and only runs well on decent PCs.
-Is being advertised by word of mouth only
-From a unknown developer.
-It's early access
-$30

Sorry, but Splatoon 2 is GOTY nay, GOTG.

I will give it to PUBG as the game of the year in terms in entertaining youtube videos tho. Its fun as hell to watch.

Burt

Sorry, I don't play any of these janky ass early access turds where you have to spend all day building a hut just to lose everything when some troll tomahawks you in the back for 3 lumps of coal

PUBG is the best, lock it in

Okay,

PUBG is the most fun game to come out this year, even in its current unpolished state.

A lot of the arguments pro PUBG in this thread seem to revolve around its popularity, sales numbers, twitch watchers, and so forth. This seems like a very tenuous way to pick 'game of the year'.

that's disingenuous, nobody is picking their GOTY based on those as their metrics. everyone who's mentioned those things has mentioned them to support the reality that PUBG is a hugely popular game, and nothing more.

Because it's the best game that I, and many others, have played this year despite its jank. It's as simple as that. You can write a list of flaws as long as my arm, and if the answer to the question "is it your favourite game this year though?" is still yes, then it's GOTY.

You just weren't paying attention then. A lot of people consider PUBG the most fun experience they've had all year. I know it has been for me.

Edit: haha, guess that paragraph really stood out. But seriously, it's like willful ignorance at this point.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I finally bit the bullet and gave it a try today.

Played 4 rounds, didn't see a single person the entire time and was killed by some kind of sci fi force field because I never found a vehicle each game.

Refunded. Put me in the "don't get it" bucket.

Cartman86

Banned
It's going to be between this and Zelda at the end of the year on most lists. I've got over 300 hours in PUBG and i'm not a big streamer fan or into the community that comes up around games like this (I think most of the popular ones are idiot racist man children if you care). However, this thing is Overwatch levels in terms of diverse player interest. It's the very definition of an amazing overall unique experience drowning out any polish concerns.

Orayn

Played 4 rounds, didn't see a single person the entire time and was killed by some kind of sci fi force field because I never found a vehicle each game.

The force field is the play area. You're supposed to follow it as it shrinks, and the chance of encountering other players increases dramatically as everyone gets funneled into a final showdown. The fun of the game is from balancing moving, hiding, and looking for opportunities to catch other players unawares as they're doing the same.

Burt

Get a mic, play squads, be sure to say "I AM AN UNSKILLED PLAYER"

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I think so. I understand those who disqualify if it's still in early access at the end of the year though.

And if they don't get vaulting in this year :p

The way my heart pumps when I'm in the final 10 and that ominous blue wall keeps pushing us all closer together is something I've never experienced in gaming before.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
The force field is the play area. You're supposed to follow it as it shrinks, and the chance of encountering other players increases dramatically as you're herded into a final showdown. The fun of the game is from balancing moving, hiding, and looking for opportunities to catch other players unawares as they're doing the same.

I understood that, but I couldn't outrun the thing on foot.

But eh whatever, it's definitely not for me.

Trace

Banned

If you want to learn how to play there's plenty of people on GAF that would teach you. Just because you don't understand the mechanics doesn't mean the mechanics are bad or even hard to understand.

The game does tell you multiple times when the play area is shrinking though. You have plenty of time to get in the circle before it shrinks, you shouldn't need to outrun it most of the time.

Joey Ravn

Banned

PUBG is very much like GTA Online in many aspects. Personally, I think the game is absolutely better if you play it with friends. Playing solo has its appeal for some people, but I see it as a waste of time. And, if you ask me, most of my enjoyment from the game comes from the shenanigans that ensue by having 2 to 4 people trying to coordinate in a sensible fashion, dealing with enemies and the shrinking play area.

If anything, PUBG should be commended for its ability to generate fun gameplay scenarios using just a few very janky, very rough pieces of gameplay features.

Orayn

It is possible you got unlucky and landed in a bad spot, but the game tells you how long you have before the play area shrinks again, so you can plan it out as you go.

For who? chosen by who? Is there some panel that decides The Official Game of the Year by law? Don't tell me anyone actually takes the Keighleys seriously?

For some people it for sure will be. For some it won't. Opinions are wonderful like that.

Clearos

Got bored of Zelda and stopped playing. Playing battlegrounds and now it is the only thing I want to play.

GOTY for me until i can play Mario and compare those two.

prag16

Banned
I haven't played it yet, but after watching my favorite twitch boob streamer play it a few times it looks really fun especially when partied with friends, and I am now interested. (But still prefer when this streamer plays Just Dance 2017 because reasons.)

Rodelero

PUBG is the most fun game to come out this year, even in its current unpolished state.

Aside from everything else, 'most fun' isn't really the same as 'best. Games are about a great deal more than pure 'fun', at least to me.

Perhaps the fault is on my part. I thought most people put a little more consideration into their game of the year pick than 'this is the one I had most fun with'. If that is all it comes down to, then sure, I can see why PUBG might be GotY for lot of people.

Perhaps the fault is on my part. I thought most people put a little more consideration into their game of the year pick than 'this is the one I had most fun with'.

101.gif

Top Bottom