• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the "R-slur" becoming more accepted in Trump's America?

Status
Not open for further replies.

.JayZii

Banned
You can listen to an old video game podcast from a decade ago and hear it getting tossed around all the time. It's been common teen and man child lingo for a long time. Things have gotten much better in the past ten years.
My whole friend group calls each other gooks, kikes, niggers, spics and beaners. But we actually catch ourselves occassionally when we say faggot (as our good friend is gay so not trying to single him out) but definitely reprimand each other for saying the r word.

For some reason that's the only word that lost it's zing and is just too purposefully offensive for us.
cool

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
When you look into the history of the term, and how it was specifically chosen to be the least offensive term they could possibly think of to describe the illness, yet it still eventually turned into an insult I really don't think you can stop anything you call that disability from turning into an insult eventually. You're just going to end up playing verbal wack a mole every decade or so because people are just absolutely not going to stop calling each other some form of dumb. Even that term, originated as a word to describe the deaf. Idiot is another, ,used to describe epileptics.

It just seems like a lost cause. Even now that people have slowed on retarded you just have "slow" filling the void left to replace it.

Yes words change. We all get that as people keep repeating that point like its sound kind of end all and be all response to this topic. Thing is today the word retard still holds a lot of very negative connotations that words like slow long ago since lost. Maybe one day in the future the word retard will be common place as idiot with none of the negativity but until that day rolls around lets try and be a little respectful to marginalized groups and those that support them here and now.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Neurodivergency huh.

So what's the cutoff point between that and the willfully stupid?

There is an interesting debate about neurodivergency, but that isn't it.

I'll use wikipedia's definition

Neurodiversity is an approach to learning and disability that argues diverse neurological conditions are result of normal variations in the human genome. This portmanteau of neurological and diversity originated in the late 1990s as a challenge to prevailing views of neurological diversity as inherently pathological, instead asserting that neurological differences should be recognized and respected as a social category on a par with gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability status.

It's a movement to make autism be seen as normal, to not be seen as a disorder, defect, or something to be cured. Many of this movement are offended when they hear someone promote finding a cure for autism.

Well, I don't think the lyric means let's all lol about people with mental disabilities and make light of their situation. It was about yeah let's slow shit down and have a good time.

If you're saying "you're a retard" then yeah it's offensive.

It was about doing drugs lol.

Somnid

It's dumb. It's like they're just vandalizing the meaning of the words. I find it insanely offensive.

In the end much of this is far less about offense and far more about control when people feel they have none. I don't mind but I wish people would stop skirting around it for validation because otherwise it just gives the power side validity to use their feelings as excuses to be socially punitive, often and ironically in retaliation.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Yes words change. We all get that as people keep repeating that point like its sound kind of end all and be all response to this topic. Thing is today the word retard still holds a lot of very negative connotations that words like slow long ago since lost. Maybe one day in the future the word retard will be common place as idiot with none of the negativity but until that day rolls around lets try and be a little respectful to marginalized groups and those that support them here and now.

Very well put.

And Is something I would have thought everyone would want to co-sign.

I'm not sure what Trump has to do with the word "retard" being used as a negative descriptor like it has been for decades. Also, people have been using the Tropic Thunder "Never go full retard" joke since the movie came out, even when usage of the word became increasingly frowned on

HStallion

I'm not sure what Trump has to do with the word "retard" being used as a negative descriptor like it has been for decades. Also, people have been using the Tropic Thunder "Never go full retard" joke since the movie came out, even when usage of the word became increasingly frowned on

I feel like the Chapelle Show skits involving the N word and other such racially charged language and jokes, the "Never go full retard" has just been co opted by a lot of edgy losers who want to be able to say something fucked up and get away with it.

Lomax

Retarded essentially has the same etymology as moron and idiot. And on top of that, the verb "to retard" means to impair or slow. It's an insult to use it in reference to a person or situation, it's meant to be an insult, and we're not going make it "acceptable" and not an insult by pretending it's somehow a normal term. There's a HUGE difference between this and using the word gay as a pejorative, gay isn't a bad thing and it's an identity. NO ONE identifies as being retarded with pride. It isn't even a term in the mental illness community any more, and hasn't been for quite a long time. The fact that in the last few years there's this sudden crusade to make people stop using it is, in fact, retarded. If you complain about that word, you need to complain about using moron and idiot and plenty of other words. There's a difference between an insult and a slur.

darklin0

Banned
OP, it has been used for years as an insult. Terrible word.

THAT'S what they were saying??? I had probably heard that song a million times as a kid on Radio Disney and that they were saying "It's getting hotter in here"

Maybe that was the censored version?

I always heard, "Let's get it started in here"

Everyone gets offended nowadays about everything, everyday you can just pick a word and someone will find it offensive. This is how free speech dies. Sure some will say "well you're free to say w.e. you want BUT be prepared to face the repercussions". And while that is true, most of the time the reactions aren't commensurate with actions.

Retarded essentially has the same etymology as moron and idiot. And on top of that, the verb "to retard" means to impair or slow. It's an insult to use it in reference to a person or situation, it's meant to be an insult, and we're not going make it "acceptable" and not an insult by pretending it's somehow a normal term. There's a HUGE difference between this and using the word gay as a pejorative, gay isn't a bad thing and it's an identity. NO ONE identifies as being retarded with pride. It isn't even a term in the mental illness community any more, and hasn't been for quite a long time. The fact that in the last few years there's this sudden crusade to make people stop using it is, in fact, retarded. If you complain about that word, you need to complain about using moron and idiot and plenty of other words. There's a difference between an insult and a slur.

I pretty much agree with this. It's always about the though police trying to shut people down. Telling them what to say, when to say it and how to say it. Foh with that. I'm constantly thinking about how to address certain folks in order to not "offend" especially at my place of work. Of course, some shit you just can't say, we have established that certain boundaries won't be crossed. But the goal posts keep moving each and everyday. The regressive left keeps​ at it again.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood

You sound nice.

HStallion

And yet again I'll respond to this really point by just quoting myself:

HStallion

Everyone gets offended nowadays about everything, everyday you can just pick a word and someone will find it offensive. This is how free speech dies. Sure some will say "well you're free to say w.e. you want BUT be prepared to face the repercussions". And while that is true, most of the time the reactions aren't commensurate with actions.

Oh so we're onto the everyone is offended too easily defense now? Oh man and bringing up free speech too? This thread is going places soon

I've not noticed it anymore than before. I've heard Gay used as a pejorative a lot less than when I was in high school in the late 90s.

FUME5

It's a movement to make autism be seen as normal, to not be seen as a disorder, defect, or something to be cured. Many of this movement are offended when they hear someone promote finding a cure for autism.

I'm aware of the meaning and origin of the word thank you Trojita.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Retarded I've heard since I was a kid many moons ago..noticing people using autistic and Aspergers as an insult past couple of years tho..

It is certainly the new hotness as far as insults go. Started a while ago from a bunch of self diagnosed autists from 4chan.

Dumb/idiot/moron are antiquated in ways that "retarded" are not. We are much farther removed from those being terms with any meaning beyond their colloquial ones than we are with retarded.

Further, speaking as someone who has a low-functioning autistic brother, who many people have referred to as being a "retard" for the sake of harming him through out his life, I'm gonna go ahead and tell you to stop it with this bullshit.

People seem to think because people aren't showing personal animosity to people somehow doesn't make it insulting or offensive. You're missing the point and I know a ton of young people who hate the word. I've seen people fired for using it in the workplace.

You're absolutely right, I'm just saying I think in the future that will change. Terms that are at one point offensive don't always stay that was, is all, and I think we're on the road for it to not be offensive.

You're right it doesn't change it being offensive regardless of intent now, though.

studyguy

I've been banned for using it, argued against the stupidity of the ban, a week or two out it's like yeah... I don't really raise the level of discussion using the word along with things like cuck or whatever.

I don't know if it is becoming more common but all the same as someone who at least tries to be someone conscious of shit, the pejorative doesn't belong in any real discussion. The recognition of that fact isn't always as easy as the practice though when bad old habits rear their head. Like I said, I've rightfully gotten called out for it on GAF. It's fair game.

It's a movement to make autism be seen as normal, to not be seen as a disorder, defect, or something to be cured. Many of this movement are offended when they hear someone promote finding a cure for autism

That's interesting. As someone who hadn't seen the word before entering this thread, neurodiversity seems extremely forced to me. It's just too much. Like "differently abled" instead of disabled.

Ten years ago I had absolutely no negative feelings towards calling something dumb "retarded". I don't really use it in English these days, or at least I try not to.

RowdyReverb

Dumb/idiot/moron are antiquated in ways that "retarded" are not. We are much farther removed from those being terms with any meaning beyond their colloquial ones than we are with retarded.

Further, speaking as someone who has a low-functioning autistic brother, who many people have referred to as being a "retard" for the sake of harming him through out his life, I'm gonna go ahead and tell you to stop it with this bullshit.
Yeah, we still use MR (mentally retarded) in medicine as shorthand for intellectual disability, so I'd say retarded is definitely not antiquated in the way those other terms are

RowdyReverb

If we're being honest the vast majority of medical professionals still use "MR" as common parlance, despite the fact that 'mental retardation' is not the medically correct term anymore.

What medical professionals are you hanging around?
"MR" is still used fairly frequently in my hospital. I think it's because ID had too many other connotations (infectious disease, identify, etc)

cTCSdGN.jpg
Serious tho. Would never say such words to anyone but my immediate friend group tho.

besada

Banned
We'll ban you for using it, though that depends on A) if we see it B) if the mod in question thinks about it and C) how it's being used.

The same goes for calling people autistic as an insult.

HStallion

That's interesting. As someone who hadn't seen the word before entering this thread, neurodiversity seems extremely forced to me. It's just too much. Like "differently abled" instead of disabled.

Believe it or not but people on the spectrum are incredibly capable because of their difference. Some companies go out of their way to hire them for certain positions because of this.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
We'll ban you for using it, though that depends on A) if we see it B) if the mod in question thinks about it and C) how it's being used.

The same goes for calling people autistic as an insult.

I remember a mod changing a title to a Pacific Rim thread to something that called people autists if they felt a certain way about the movie. Long way NeoGAF has come.

Believe it or not but people on the spectrum are incredibly capable at a lot of things given the chance. Some companies go out of their way to hire them for certain positions.

I don't doubt that people considered autistic can be very capable. I wasn't questioning that AT ALL. I don't agree with the need to re-label those being on the spectrum as being "neurodiverse".

besada

Banned
I remember a mod changing a title to a Pacific Rim thread to something that called people autists if they felt a certain way about the movie. Long way NeoGAF has come.

People and communities change, and they grow up. One of those things I find bizarre is the number of people who dig up posts from someone who made them when they were fifteen or sixteen, and assume that the thirty year old person would do the same. That generally says more about the person digging up posts and their lack of personal growth than anything else.

Most of us have said and done things in the past that we now look back on and wouldn't do again. That's a good thing. It means you're growing up and learning to see through more perspectives than just your own. When the moderators started discussing banning for the pejorative use of retard, one of us did a search and discovered that nearly all of us had used it in the past. Now, we could have tried to make ourselves feel better by pretending it was okay, but instead we acknowledged that we and the community could do better.
I don't doubt that people considered autistic can be very capable. I wasn't questioning that AT ALL. I don't agree with the need to re-label those being on the spectrum as being "neurodiverse".
I'm not sure it matters if you agree or not. People in both the autism and mental health communities have been using the term for over decade now. We find it useful. If you don't like it, that's a personal issue. The argument is that autistic people aren't broken, they're different. They process information differently than neurotypical people. And they don't particularly enjoy being called abnormal, or wrong, or substandard.

Madness

Nah, it's never not been a thing, you've just noticed it more.

I would also not call Neogaf a progressive haven.

Yup, never saw retard or retarded ever stop being used or declone. Heck, I am instead seeing gay come back in usage.

You're probably going to see greater pushback against words being banned because people are developing more and more of an IDGAF attitude, where even if it's bad to say, they don't care.

I pretty much agree with this. It's always about the though police trying to shut people down. Telling them what to say, when to say it and how to say it. Foh with that. I'm constantly thinking about how to address certain folks in order to not "offend" especially at my place of work. Of course, some shit you just can't say, we have established that certain boundaries won't be crossed. But the goal posts keep moving each and everyday. The regressive left keeps​ at it again.

Oh Jesus Christ. You are a fucking treasure.

1upsuper

It may seem "extremely forced" to you, but there's important nuance here, and you'd do well to recognize it. Some people don't like "disabled" because the "dis," in a privitive sense, means not-abled here. "Differently abled" and "neurodivergent" may seem like mouthfuls but they imply that the individuals they refer to are different rather than incapable. It's an important distinction for people.

Believe it or not but people on the spectrum are incredibly capable because of their difference. Some companies go out of their way to hire them for certain positions because of this.

That's definitely a generalization. I've never felt anything but held back by my autism.

There is like one line about going slow in the lyrics and like a dozen about getting stupid, disconnecting from intellect, and so on.

Wait, what? I refuse to believe the word in that song is the word in question here and not "it started." Noooooo way. That would be like "actually the Earth is flat" magnitude of crazy.

In terms of the thread, conflicted. There are people who use it as a targeted insult and do it on purpose, and I'd consider that bad. But many people use it, and this is really hard to explain tbh, but as a stronger version of stupid. Like, it being three syllables adds a kind of gravity to it that puts it above stupid. But it's still not being used to purposely insult a group of people. Someone made a thread about social justice blindspots (or something to that effect) and I will readily admit that this is (one of) mine. I don't see the issue with it in context.

People and communities change, and they grow up. One of those things I find bizarre is the number of people who dig up posts from someone who made them when they were fifteen or sixteen, and assume that the thirty year old person would do the same. That generally says more about the person digging up posts and their lack of personal growth than anything else.

For sure, but Pacific Rim's from 2013.

Wait, what? I refuse to believe the word in that song is the word in question here and not "it started." Noooooo way. That would be like "actually the Earth is flat" magnitude of crazy.

In terms of the thread, conflicted. There are people who use it as a targeted insult and do it on purpose, and I'd consider that bad. But many people use it, and this is really hard to explain tbh, but as a stronger version of stupid. Like, it being three syllables adds a kind of gravity to it that puts it above stupid. But it's still not being used to purposely insult a group of people. Someone made a thread about social justice blindspots (or something to that effect) and I will readily admit that this is (one of) mine. I don't see the issue with it in context.

Let's Get Retarded was very much the non radio version of that song lol

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
I've not noticed it anymore than before. I've heard Gay used as a pejorative a lot less than when I was in high school in the late 90s.

I think people tend to forget that Gay people were a lot less accepted back then, even as late in the 90s. It's no accident that "gay" and "faggot" are used as insults.

Deepwater

the original album version of the song is "Let's get retarded"

The single version that most (I would assume) are accustomed to are "Let's get it started"

It may seem "extremely forced" to you, but there's important nuance here, and you'd do well to recognize it. Some people don't like "disabled" because the "dis," in a privitive sense, means not-abled here. "Differently abled" and "neurodivergent" may seem like mouthfuls but they imply that the individuals they refer to are different rather than incapable. It's an important distinction for people.

I get it. I just don't agree with the need for it.

Bet. I hear you bro, I mean with my group of friends we say crazy shit as well, but I figured if you guys say all that, the "r" word seems small potatoes in comparison.

FT0xyqh.jpg

Sup Ninja, relax bro. I know I get you worked up but be nice now kid.

Why would I get worked up? You are so precious.

Bet. I hear you bro, I mean with my group of friends we say crazy shit as well, but I figured if you guys say all that, the "r" word seems small potatoes in comparison.
Saying gay and retard were fine growing up. Then in hs there was this huge push to stop the word from being said and same for saying anything lame as gay or calling someone a faggot. I agree with this, it's just toxic to say. It makes it a negative to be gay.

For us tho, playing games and shit we just yell something from muscle memory so it usually devolves into the words I described first, but in public u would never even fucking suspect that those words could come out of my or any of my friend groups mouths.

Friend group is black, hispanic and white btw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom