• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"It's quickplay" and how to turn off all my interest in Overwatch

Status
Not open for further replies.

FRS1987

I think that's an unfair attitude to others who are honestly just playing to have fun. I honestly sometimes pick an offense hero to learn them (I'm mainly a support/tank player).

I get the whole "practice range" thing but honestly do you think practicing against bots and A.I really helps against real players? The only real experience is to play real people.

Today I picked reaper and got mostly golds and silver with 20+ kills and what does my Widow say? "You suck reaper, stop throwing the game" It's people like this who hate to lose that ruin the game, not the people who are bad and are learning. Granted, I was doing my own thing and was on fire, had most kills and damage and he chose me because I have 100+ hours on support and only about 2-3 hours on reaper.

I say get out with negative attitude if you try to boss people around and tell them how to play just because you hate to lose. Let people enjoy the game how they want and calling people out will just trigger them to purposely throw anyway.

Rodelero

i feel like maybe some people that play online somehow become numb or forget that there is another person sitting on the other side and they have their own free will. probably due to people being isolated from society or becoming more narcissistic. it makes no sense for you to expect to control them as much as if they commanded you to do something would you just abide?

I'm sorry, are you really accusing people of being narcissists or isolated from society because they are describing how jokers and griefers are ruining their experience on Overwatch? Perhaps it is you that forgets there is actually someone 'sitting on the other side' because you're simply being unkind and jumping to ridiculous conclusions.

I don't think the OP, or anyone in this thread expressing similar sentiment, wants to control others. Personally I'm sick of going into Quick Play and ending up with teammates (or opponents) that have no interest in playing the objective and that have no interest in helping the team succeed. I don't want to force people to play in any specific way, I'd prefer to not have to play with them in the first place.

Practically the issue here is that Quick Play means radically different things to different people. Some people do literally go into Quick Play for the sake of messing around, and that's fine, but ideally those people would be grouped together. There are of course some who use Quick Play as a place to grief others, and they should not be catered to at all. Can't help but feel they are the group best catered for right now.

Nepenthe

Quickplay is for casual fun. Your rank never goes down with losses, matches are, well, quick, and thus coordination and team comp aren't as necessary to winning and general enjoyment. If someone wants to play Hanzo for no reason, let them.

Comp is for more dedicating gaming. Your rank is dependent upon performance, matches can be lengthy, and thus coordination and team comp are absolutely vital. If someone wants to play Hanzo for no reason, let them know it's gonna be hell for the rest of the team.

Neither of these, I feel, are the place for outright trolling of your own team and purposefully throwing matches. It's unfair and against the point and spirit of the game.

The closest I would feel would be to just pull back when it's clear that the opposing team is better coordinated and thus there's no point in trickling in during Quick Play. Do a little dance to keep your spirits up once you know that that dark purple Defeat effect is about to drop.

I really hate people like OP in multiplayer games lol. There's a ranked mode. If you want to play serious and start telling me what to do and complain when things don't go the way you like it, then play the game mode design specifically to cater for your needs.

"then why couldn't TDM be an arcade mode?"

Blizzard could add anything they want to the game. Doesn't change TDM from being a poor fit for class-based shooters.

Mr. Robot

Whenever i am in quick play i usually use a character i want to try , but if i notice the team is really trying to go for the objective i just switch to something im good at, also if i notice the team is just goofing around then i just start to play for fun or train using characters like mercy and try to stay alive while healing everyone.

luulubuu

I'm sorry, are you really accusing people of being narcissists or isolated from society because they are describing how jokers and griefers are ruining their experience on Overwatch? Perhaps it is you that forgets there is actually someone 'sitting on the other side' because you're simply being unkind and jumping to ridiculous conclusions.

I don't think the OP, or anyone in this thread expressing similar sentiment, wants to control others. Personally I'm sick of going into Quick Play and ending up with teammates (or opponents) that have no interest in playing the objective and that have no interest in helping the team succeed. I don't want to force people to play in any specific way, I'd prefer to not have to play with them in the first place.

Practically the issue here is that Quick Play means radically different things to different people. Some people do literally go into Quick Play for the sake of messing around, and that's fine, but ideally those people would be grouped together. There are of course some who use Quick Play as a place to grief others, and they should not be catered to at all. Can't help but feel they are the group best catered for right now.

I literally opened this thread to seek what other's think about the premise of "it's qp" and how you guys face it, and how the game could improve to everybody have fun and avoid throwers and toxic behaviours, not people who just want to play whatever.

I opened the thread to that and I got called selfish and isolated, I chuckled a good laugh too.

E-flux

I wouldn't say ARAM is a poor fit, so much as a quirky mutation of DotA/AoS's default ruleset that came from within the community itself.

How about something like the arena mode from Smite, it is the best mode in the game and it's pretty much just TDM. There is no reason why TDM wouldn't fit overwatch other than blizzard somehow half assing the mode.

Rodelero

I really hate people like OP in multiplayer games lol. There's a ranked mode. If you want to play serious and start telling me what to do and complain when things don't go the way you like it, then play the game mode design specifically to cater for your needs.

Have you considered that, in fact, Quick Play is probably intended to be what the OP wants? Somewhere you can go to play a quick unranked match of Overwatch. It isn't designed to a farce where everyone is just aimlessly messing around in a sandbox. It isn't designed to be a super serious mode where winning is the first priority of every player either, but when you look at the way the mode is described by Blizzard, and when you consider that Blizzard made the hero stacking change specifically to ensure the mode was more representative of the classic Overwatch experience, it's fairly obvious the OP is what Blizzard had in mind for the mode.

What is fairly obvious from this thread is that everyone believes Quick Play should be played the way they play it. It's not a particularly helpful conclusion but it probably does indicate that something needs to change. There seem to be two broad groups of people that want two quite different things from the mode. That's fine. That's Blizzard's job to solve. There's no need for those two groups to demonise each other. Don't allow the extremes (toxic controlling players on one hand, griefing trolling players on the other) to define your views of those groups.

I dont really mind what people do in qp as long as they actually try and win , what really rustled my jimmies in my placement matches was people throwing entire matches after losing a round or quiting out of a match whilst we were ahead(like wtf ?).
I dont think i'll ever try and play comp solo which means i'm gonna have to start looking for peeps to play with.

Daeoc

I literally opened this thread to seek what other's think about the premise of "it's qp" and how you guys face it

The trick is to try to decide what kind of match it is going to be near the start of the match. You'll only get frustrated if it seems like you are the only one who cares about winning, it helps a lot if you can go with the flow of the team. You have to play around your team's mindset.

luulubuu

Never stated anything of this, you could use some reading.

"How about something like the arena mode from Smite, it is the best mode in the game and it's pretty much just TDM. There is no reason why TDM wouldn't fit overwatch other than blizzard somehow half assing the mode."

I dunno why you guys are pitching this to me like I work at Blizzard. Arena mode works in Smite because it takes an aspect that naturally happens in MOBAs (a team fight) and puts that front and center. Overwatch is not a MOBA, even with the increasingly common addition of abilities/ultimates and team clashes in FPSs are nowhere near as condensed as they are in MOBAs. But again, Blizzard can add whatever they want.

Sande

Overwatch feels like it's missing the middle ground. There's the super serious hardcore "make a mistake and I'll murder you for ruining my rank" mode and the "throwing feces at walls for the lulz" mode. Or rather, quick play should be that middle ground between no limits arcade and ranked, but people just won't treat is as such.

benzopil

Have you considered that, in fact, Quick Play is probably intended to be what the OP wants? Somewhere you can go to play a quick unranked match of Overwatch. It isn't designed to a farce where everyone is just aimlessly messing around in a sandbox. It isn't designed to be a super serious mode where winning is the first priority of every player either, but when you look at the way the mode is described by Blizzard, and when you consider that Blizzard made the hero stacking change specifically to ensure the mode was more representative of the classic Overwatch experience, it's fairly obvious the OP is what Blizzard had in mind for the mode.

What is fairly obvious from this thread is that everyone believes Quick Play should be played the way they play it. It's not a particularly helpful conclusion but it probably does indicate that something needs to change. There seem to be two broad groups of people that want two quite different things from the mode. That's fine. That's Blizzard's job to solve. There's no need for those two groups to demonise each other. Don't allow the extremes (toxic controlling players on one hand, griefing trolling players on the other) to define your views of those groups.
I also think there's a reason why ranked is available when you reach level 25. A new player tests all heroes in QP, understands what's going on and wants to play a little bit more seriously.

Of course he still plays Junkrat no matter what but still.

Alex

IMO, Quickplay is for practicing and more casual fun and competitive is for structure.

Main mistake people take is treating competitive as seriously as they do, IMO. If you just want a structured match go play it and don't worry so much.

I think an easy solution to this would be to make a no-limit / no-respawn arcade mode. I know if I'm feeling like screwing around I'd just play that mode.

Wamb0wneD

I thought the existence of competitive was for pro league and people who really want to win all the time and make a name out of it. I should stick with a group of friends but I don't think that's the solution to this problem either

You got the definition of competitive wrong then.

Solo queue in anything in Overwatch pretty much guarantees that you'll only win about half the matches you play. For ranked, this isn't all that good for your ranking.

OP doesn't care about his ranking though, Just want's to have fun matches with people who actually try.

E-flux

I dunno why you guys are pitching this to me like I work at Blizzard. Arena mode works in Smite because it takes an aspect that naturally happens in MOBAs (a team fight) and puts that front and center. Overwatch is not a MOBA, even with the increasingly common addition of abilities/ultimates and team clashes in FPSs are nowhere near as condensed as they are in MOBAs. But again, Blizzard can add whatever they want.

Because you seem to be so opposed to it while other heavily team focused games work well enough with modes like that. Also why don't you use quotes? It's a lot harder to skim through the stuff when you don't see your stuff glowing in green.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
If you want to tryhard play ranked op, don't take it out on the people actually having fun

What's with all these entitled af threads about overwatch recently jfc

"Because you seem to be so opposed to it while other heavily team focused games work well enough with modes like that. Also why don't you use quotes? It's a lot harder to skim through the stuff when you don't see your stuff glowing in green."

I'm not opposed to it, I just understand why it doesn't exist currently. And you're comparing games across different genres with completely different mechanics.

antitrop

I take Quick Play slightly more seriously than Arcade, but still not super-tryhard.

I have 300 fucking hours on Supports in QP, so if I want to play a little Hanzo now and again or whatever, I sure as hell don't feel bad.

PSqueak

Banned
"then why couldn't TDM be an arcade mode?"

Blizzard could add anything they want to the game. Doesn't change TDM from being a poor fit for class-based shooters.

Isn't the Elimination modes practically Team Deathmatch anyways?

I really enjoyed 6v6 closed elimination.

OP doesn't care about his ranking though, Just want's to have fun matches with people who actually try.

Maybe I misunderstood the intention of this reply, but if OP doesn't care about his ranking and wants to play with people that try, then yeah ranked is the way to go.

E-flux

"Because you seem to be so opposed to it while other heavily team focused games work well enough with modes like that. Also why don't you use quotes? It's a lot harder to skim through the stuff when you don't see your stuff glowing in green."

I'm not opposed to it, I just understand why it doesn't exist currently. And you're comparing games across different genres with completely different mechanics.

They might be different genres but they play on similar principles and they share the dna of of skills from the original dota. I could compare it to something like TF2 which works great in tdm too, but i come from dota so i'd rather compare it to things that i'm more familiar with. Also seriously, why no quotes?

I think that's an unfair attitude to others who are honestly just playing to have fun. I honestly sometimes pick an offense hero to learn them (I'm mainly a support/tank player).

I get the whole "practice range" thing but honestly do you think practicing against bots and A.I really helps against real players? The only real experience is to play real people.

Today I picked reaper and got mostly golds and silver with 20+ kills and what does my Widow say? "You suck reaper, stop throwing the game" It's people like this who hate to lose that ruin the game, not the people who are bad and are learning. Granted, I was doing my own thing and was on fire, had most kills and damage and he chose me because I have 100+ hours on support and only about 2-3 hours on reaper.

I say get out with negative attitude if you try to boss people around and tell them how to play just because you hate to lose. Let people enjoy the game how they want and calling people out will just trigger them to purposely throw anyway.

What a great post, this sums up my feelings exactly about it. I play Overwatch to have fun and I still have yet to play in competitive.

My friend and I were in quick play last night and half of the matches spent were him trying to get achievements while I practiced characters. Don’t get me wrong though, I try to win every game I play no matter what character I’m using but if people are throwing/goofing off, let them because it’s casual and we’re all having fun at the end of the day whether we win or lose.

However, you can train all you want with the tutorial, practice range and vs AI but nothing beats playing against real people to properly learn the game.

Rodelero

I think an easy solution to this would be to make a no-limit / no-respawn arcade mode. I know if I'm feeling like screwing around I'd just play that mode.

No respawn?! D'you mean no respawn timer?

I do think another playlist is probably the best solution (worth remembering that they have had no-limits playlists at various points within Arcade) but I wonder if it would work best if it was outside of the 'Arcade' system? I don't think this suggestion is particularly novel, but if they split Quick Play out into two playlists, 'Casual' and 'Unranked' it would suit a much wider range of people. People like the OP (and myself) would move towards Unranked, which would basically be Competitive without the ranking system (+ maybe shorter matches, particularly in Control/King of the Hill). Others would move towards Casual to mess around.

Must admit this isn't a novel suggestion, but it does seem like the most sensible route for Blizzard to take. I suspect that this was kind of their intention in the first place when they removed Hero Stacking and created No Limits (in that they want Quick Play to be 'Unranked' and No Limits to be 'Casual') but No Limits didn't prove to be very popular because it was clearly the less emphasised mode. As such, it's quite important that the playlists are given equal precedence in the game. I guess one issue is that new players need to be pushed towards Unranked rather than Casual really, if they are to have a good learning experience.

Casual - Unranked - Ranked - Arcade

TheYanger

Sorry OP, but frankly if I'm trying a new hero or strat, Quickplay is the only place to do that within reason. I'm not going into Comp when I want to tracer - I'm not awful with her but I'm not great either, or if I want to try and dick around with Mei.

Its qp which is why every1 plays what they want. I never get to play and improve dps if i only played ranked cause my options there to do so is so small. Not that i only play dps i play heroes i want to improve on like Zen

When ranked wasnt around people took qp fairly seriously tho mayb unranked comp mode would help.

Like i get what you mean but taking qp seriously at this point isnt going to help

Hopeford

It's almost cartoonish, I was turned off from getting overwatch by the mic thread, but I was watching a friend play it earlier today and I was thinking "Yeah, well maybe I could go play the casual, unranked matches, stay away from that and still have some fun. I mean even the hate-mic crowd thinks those are fine in unranked matches, so I can probably have fun over there right? And--no, apparently people get upset at that too. Okay." Really looking like it's not the game for me haha.

Think I'll stick with single player stuff or at least no team based multiplayer ones. Or local multiplayer, those are fun too.

Is there a mode in the game when you can actually dick around? Like, one where you can cycle through characters and not stress over metagaming shit?

Think I'll stick with single player stuff or at least no team based multiplayer ones. Or local multiplayer, those are fun too.

Is there a mode in the game when you can actually dick around? Like, one where you can cycle through characters and not stress over metagaming shit?

Arcade. And usually people in quick play don't care either.

Wamb0wneD

Maybe I misunderstood the intention of this reply, but if OP doesn't care about his ranking and wants to play with people that try, then yeah ranked is the way to go.

You did indeed haha. The person I quoted said how it won't be good for OP's ranking playing solo Q and I answered that OP doesn't care about his rank so it's definetly the best way for him to play the game.

Woo-Fu

Banned
The problem with this mode is that a lot of people I have seen are often not very collaborative or they completely miss the point or objective to have "fun"

The problem isn't with them, it is you. If you expect everybody to have exactly the same ideas about the game, the same goals, the same playstyle, the same method of having "fun" with the game then you have unreasonable expectations.

If you need the rest of the team to play the way you want them to play for you to have fun then you should form a pre-made with like-minded people. If you can't/won't do that then you shouldn't be buying/playing team multiplayer games in the first place.

All that said, unless this is the very first online multiplayer you've experienced you should already know this.

Azoor

It's almost cartoonish, I was turned off from getting overwatch by the mic thread, but I was watching a friend play it earlier today and I was thinking "Yeah, well maybe I could go play the casual, unranked matches, stay away from that and still have some fun. I mean even the hate-mic crowd thinks those are fine in unranked matches, so I can probably have fun over there right? And--no, apparently people get upset at that too. Okay." Really looking like it's not the game for me haha.

Arcade, you can go to Total mayhem or no limits. Hell, you could even use mystery heroes. You can use QP to practice, but don't intentionally make it worse for people.

D3VI0US

I agree with the all other people you're complaining about, it's quick play and you sound like a try hard. I mean if you care this much about trying to win in QP I can't imagine how annoying you must be in Ranked. Also I almost exclusively play ranked mostly solo with no mic and don't really care about my rank. If the team has a bad comp or is playing poorly I just trying different characters and still have fun win or lose.

Woo-Fu

Banned

Stop worrying about them being upset. Turn off voicechat/textchat if you can't ignore their impotent rage. It isn't your responsibility to conform to their standards in Quick Play.

People that stressed about winning/teamplay/meta who won't step up and play Comp aren't worth an iota of your concern. They're probably superbads who are about 1/10 as skilled as they think they are, finding raging the only way they can enjoy the game. It is always somebody else's fault when they lose. You don't know 'em, you don't owe 'em, fuck 'em.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom