• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's sickening people are showing their true color

Varg

Banned
I've spent the last couple of days on twitter and it really shocked me how many horrible gamergate types there are. It really felt like it was the vast majority. And they were all gleeful at neogafs demise and that they had somehow brought it down.

I'd never really seen the two extreme sides before, but it was a proper battlefield.

I'm glad I'm back here where it feels safe.

This is the type of shit I’m talking about . Your on a site which is run by someone who sexually assaulted someone and this is how you feel safe . The comments on twitter to real for the usual hive mind ideologies you find here hmm? Grow a spine for god sakes.

Bolivar687

Banned
Why are you still here if thats how you feel?

There are pied pipers staying behind to shape the narrative, complementing the political theater of the account suicides to lead people to the new forums.

It's really obvious who they are in this thread.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
You also told me to ignore toxic people like Amir0x and other extremely rude people that were being protected by the mods here and were ruining every single debate here. So how does that work man, do you want real discussion or not?

Are you being deliberately obtuse now? When liberals or progressives are talking about SJWs they're talking about a very specific loud minority. The term was invented by liberals to describe that minority.

You really love Amir0x don't you because its the one name you seem to have on your tongue all the time. Maybe stop using him as a boogie man and acting like liberals seriously use terms like SJW except to laugh at conservatives. If anything you have to ask why conservatives think fighting battles for social justice is an insult.

Bunga

Not going to comment on what's been happening the last couple of days but I'll be gutted if GAF completely disintegrates. It's where I go for gaming news and to discuss things. I love it, despite only really getting into it the past year.

Black_Red

Safe on the forum of a sexual assaulter. How delusional can you be? Those gamergate types are the only ones that will stay on this forum.

Nah, i'm pretty sure gamergaters were they first account suicide threads. And probably they dame people who always comentes YouTube videos with neogaf comments.

Xtyle

It's not all just opportunists and haters out there. People have a legitimate issue supporting a man who would sexually harass a woman, or two, or three, and also clumsily try to lie and cover up his association with a pedophile.

We waited days for a statement, (I mean, maybe the allegations aren't as they seem, let's get a decent statement) and all he does is victim blame, go scorched earth on anyone who dare oppose him, and try to pretend that all is well. Fuck that.

And here you are, talking shit about other possible forums, about these people who simply can't stand for the aforementioned bullshit, and what, doing some kind of half-assed 'unity' thing? You didn't use the word, but shit, you are Jerry Jones, kneeling before the anthem, and skirting past the real issue to carry on business as usual. Fuck off.

No, you fuck off.
Just to give some details. A lot of these places I visited or watched on YouTube were complaining about the strict mods over the years, a lot of that had nothing to do with the recent events. Yet they used it as an excuse to see it burn and try to get people go to their sites...here I am not so much talking about the new neogaf, but mostly others who were not associated with neogaf.

munchie64

There are pied pipers staying behind to shape the narrative, complementing the political theater of the account suicides to lead people to the new forums.

I'll have what you're on man. My day's been pretty bad and I could use a pick-me-up.

Monocle

This is the type of shit I’m talking about . Your on a site which is run by someone who sexually assaulted someone and this is how you feel safe . The comments on twitter to real for the usual hive mind ideologies you find here hmm? Grow a spine for god sakes.
To be fair, we talk to each other, not the person who runs the site.

The word was invented by liberals and it is still being used by many of them. Big groups like liberals or progressives aren't a monolith, just because in the GAF bubble the mods had created the word was synonymous with evil it doesn't mean everyone using it is a Trump supporter.

Also, just because conservatives were quick to adopt it like they always do with words that criticize liberals or the left it doesn't mean these words become theirs.

You're right, but anyone who uses SJW might not be a trump supporter, but a fucking idiot nonetheless.

Xtyle

I read someone admitting doing just that on reddit. And how they would account suicide after they got the people their way...it is gross.

HStallion

Can you hook me up with some of that Soros astro turfing money?

d9b

Banned
Not going to comment on what's been happening the last couple of days but I'll be gutted if GAF completely disintegrates. It's where I go for gaming news and to discuss things. I love it, despite only really getting into it the past year.

Unfortunately it is disintegrating right in front of our eyes. I would love to be proven wrong, but I don't think there's coming back after everything that happened over the last few days.

Drackhorn

Unfortunately it is disintegrating right in front of our eyes. I would love to be proven wrong, but I don't think there's coming back after everything that happened over the last few days.

It sure doesn't feel the same and how can it. I don't miss having to walk on eggshells in offtopic though.

eso76

EvilLore got accused of attempted rape, gave an explanation to his mods involving love triangles and sex cults (after which most of whom stepped down) and he shut down the forums for a while.

Attempted sex, more like it.

I can definitely see the appeal in trying to take advantage of the situation and getting a piece of this 10.000.000 $ cake.
Being the owner of a popular forum is everyone's dream job: you have some 200.000 persons producing content for free and generating revenue with minimal involvment.

Mahadev

You really love Amir0x don't you because its the one name you seem to have on your tongue all the time. Maybe stop using him as a boogie man and acting like liberals seriously use terms like SJW except to laugh at conservatives. If anything you have to ask why conservatives think fighting battles for social justice is an insult.

Way to completely avoid my points. And fyi the warrior part is sarcastic, that's was the original point when liberals started using the word, that they don't fight for social justice, they pretend to while creating a toxic political environment and feeling good about themselves.

Sorry if i’M asking a stupid question, but I haven’t been to GAF since it was down. What exactly has happened? Didn’t see any thread about possible changes or why the site was down,

EDIT just saw the sticky. My bad.

Klocker

Most of the people I've seen hating on GAF on Twitter and Reddit sound like the sort of posters who would be banned instantly for acting like gigantic assholes. For all its problems, NeoGAF comes out looking much more appealing by contrast.

It's disappointing, the way so many people have rallied around hating on those who try to be considerate. Yeah, you can take anything too far, but people don't deserve to be called SJWs and cucks for giving the faintest damn about other people's feelings. This culture of bullying is off-putting. Just a bunch of people jerking themselves off about how far they can take their rude idiot schtick. Not everyone likes to wallow in negativity, thanks.

It's just common sense civility and a little empathy for other human beings.

but every asshole has to be a bully instead because it makes them feel like real men or something

Trup1aya

What the?..What is the point of business if not to be successful now you're just saying stuff to say it. A tent isn't going to replace gaf.

What? Obviously the point of business is to succeed.. but many businesses dont. Some do. That's the nature of it. You can't have a successful business of you don't try... which is what some appear to be doing.

Can a tent replace gaf? Probably not. But Then again, gaf was once a tent itself. Does a site need to "replace" gaf in order to be successful? No- and no one is arguing this, so I'm not sure why you are making this argument.

Whether or not you or i think alternate sites will ultimately succeed is completely irrelevant to the point im making- that there is nothing "wrong" with trying to create a business to fill a perceived void. It's a natural part of the cycle.

HStallion

Way to completely avoid my points. And fyi the warrior part is sarcastic, that's was the original point when liberals started using the word, that they don't fight for social justice, they pretend to while creating a toxic political environment and feeling good about themselves.

Liberals don't seriously use that term, its often used to make fun of conservatives much like snowflake or responding to someone who called them that. Way to dodge that point I've made like half a dozen times now.

d9b

Banned
Attempted sex, more like it.

I can definitely see the appeal in trying to take advantage of the situation and getting a piece of this 10.000.000 $ cake.
Being the owner of a popular forum is everyone's dream job: you have some 200.000 persons producing content for free and generating revenue with minimal involvment.

Well, the gravy train is over. I hope he invested some of that money, because the dark clouds are on the horizon for him...

FinalAres

Ive got a spine which is why I've decided to stay here despite the mass exodus, and people trying to witch hunt anyone wanting to stay.

Calm Mind

Makes me wonder how well all these new forums will do with a fractured NeoGaf community.

Poorly. This place is better off without them. The culling GAF received from recent events may seem like doom and gloom now but later on it will be seen as a blessing.

Mahadev

Liberals don't seriously use that term. Way to dodge that point I've made like half a dozen times now.

I am quiiiiiiite sure that I've seen Bill Maher and other politically incorrect liberals and comedians to use the term repeatedly. But these are alt-right Nazis, right?

HStallion

I am quiiiiiiite sure that I've seen Bill Maher and other politically incorrect liberals to use the term repeatedly. But these are alt-right Nazis, right?

Ohh Bill Maher king of Liberals uses it. I'm sorry I didn't realize that makes it our official word now.

I am quiiiiiiite sure that I've seen Bill Maher and other politically incorrect liberals and comedians to use the term repeatedly. But these are alt-right Nazis, right?

"bill maher is the arbiter of all liberals" ranks somewhere around the various outright fabrications you've posted about that discord in this thread's "what the fuck are you trying to cape for" pantheon

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
At the risk of being accused of hand-waving away the sexual assault allegations, I'm surprised that more people aren't willing to give the situation/forum more time to see how the dust settles. In every OT/community thread I've checked up on, talk is just about relocating somewhere else, and writing this site off entirely.

People have different levels of engagement with the situation - I'm not on Twitter/Discord or whatever else, and wasn't around when the story started breaking here. I only found out about the allegations after Googling yesterday afternoon, to see if anybody knew how long the forum was down for. Given that all this is moving relatively quickly, and people are working with different levels of information, it's unlikely any form of the community will survive anywhere without huge fractures/being vastly diminished.

I also expect that replacement forums, like ResetEra, are going to be flooded with the kind of people crowing over the fall of Gaf. That doesn't sound like fun.

Lego Boss

This thread in itself is an argument for the resurrection of OT.

Surely at a point in time when there is a need for frank and open discussion, bringing this to bear on gaming (which was always very different to OT in tone as well as content), is doing more harm than good.

I think that those who are calling for a spine to be grown are barking up the wrong tree, it still feels like there is no place to get these important points off their chest.

Come on EL and Mods, do the right thing. The toxicity comes from overbearing moderation, not the topic.

Monocle

It's just common sense civility and a little empathy for other human beings.

but every asshole has to be a bully instead because it makes them feel like real men or something
Yep. I'm more than happy to spend most of my forum time in "safe spaces" like GAF rather than wade through the brown slurry these people are trying to spray in every corner of the internet. I hope to see the day when our culture stops empowering vocal assholes.

Mahadev

Ohh Bill Maher king of Liberals uses it. I'm sorry I didn't realize that makes it our official word now.

You said liberals don't use it. I gave you an example that uses it like I gave you an example of people who were always being rude but protected when you said that didn't happen. Then you tried to brush off the example with some lazy red herring ("lol Maher king of liberals"/"just ignore them").

Hmmm, I think there's a pattern here...

Yaari

No, this is not an account suicide, so don't ban me.

I have been reading and watching some youtube videos regarding the recent development regarding NeoGAF.

To be quite honest, it just feels wrong.

I am talking about people trying to take advantage of this weak moment of this forum trying to promote their own forums (whether it is existing forum, not entirely new forum just made over the weekend). Sure, I can see that it could be a good business to try to get some of the members from GAF but it does show that these people who criticize GAF is really just kicking it while it is down and more over, trying to benefit from it.

I mean, even people here do it/did it, like the mods making new forums to replace this one.

I really wish we have an OT forum to discuss non gaming stuff like this one here...but I guess we will have to wait.

and if it is an appropriate, then delete it, but don't delete me obviously:)
So what. Any random person pulling a new forum out of their ass is most likely still going to be a better person than the fuckwad that runs this place.

I'm only a single poster on a big forum, but I won't contribute to the relevancy of this forum any longer. I'll take my posts elswhere.

And you go enjoy filling the pockets of the asshole that has treated his members like fucking trash for years.

"then delete it, but don't delete me obviously:) ".. Lol. Weasel.

HStallion

You said liberals don't use it. I gave you an example that uses it like I gave you an example of people who were always being rude but protected when you said that didn't happen. Then you tried to brush off the example with some lazy red herring (lol Maher king of liberals/just ignore them).

Liberals at large and you full well knew what I meant when I said that. Bill Maher is also a giant asshole and I don't really consider what he says on most topics worth listening to at this point but sure go ahead and use that big name liberal to make a point.

sephi22

You said liberals don't use it. I gave you an example that uses it like I gave you an example of people who were always being rude but protected when you said that didn't happen. Then you tried to brush off the example with some lazy red herring (lol Maher king of liberals/just ignore them).

I think the point they're making is Maher is LINO (Liberal in Name Only). Many gaffers don't consider him a liberal.

I do think Maher's a liberal. I also think Rogan and H3h3, both men who use SJW are also liberal. But again, that's another thing many GAF posters won't agree on.

Also Destiny, the Starcraft/LoL streamer and the person who debated/exposed Jontron is a liberal and hates SJWs and uses the term but not enough Gaffers post about him for me to judge whether he's a true liberal or not.

Mahadev

Liberals at large and you full well knew what I meant when I said that. Bill Maher is also a giant asshole and I don't really consider what he says on most topics worth listening to at this point.

So now it's not all liberals but the vast majority of them. Do you have any real data? Because huge communities like reddit that are mostly liberal tend to spam the word to the point it even annoys me. Do you have ANYTHING that supports your rather confident opinion?

Veal

I'm here. Don't feel great about it. I feel kinda conflicted, to be frank.

While we were down I learned a new appreciation for gaming Reddit, but my forays into Something Awful just kind of reminded me why I left. It's so compartmentalized you miss out on a lot of things if you don't go to a bunch of different subforums. I guess the same could be said of Reddit.

You know what I did learn in all this, politics and social stuff aside? The value of a good mobile layout. GAF mobile is a beautiful thing, as is Reddit is Fun. A forum without a great mobile user experience is almost useless.

I don't know that GAF will ever be what it once was, but I also don't know if there's room in 2017 for a new successful forum in a world of Reddit and Twitter, either.

I guess we'll find out, folks.

I do know one thing for sure, wherever you post, decent people shouldn't be scared to post.
Word for word my story too.

HStallion

So now it's not all liberals but the vast majority of them. Do you have any real data? Because huge communities like reddit that are mostly liberal tend to spam the word to the point it even annoys me. Do you have ANYTHING that supports your rather confident opinion?

Do you? You brought up reddit as an example. You're the one claiming it was invented by and frequently used by liberals and your best examples are Bill Maher and a nebulous group of other liberal commentators and then brought up reddit. Well I'm convinced.

At the risk of being accused of hand-waving away the sexual assault allegations, I'm surprised that more people aren't willing to give the situation/forum more time to see how the dust settles. In every OT/community thread I've checked up on, talk is just about relocating somewhere else, and writing this site off entirely.

People have different levels of engagement with the situation - I'm not on Twitter/Discord or whatever else, and wasn't around when the story started breaking here. I only found out about the allegations after Googling yesterday afternoon, to see if anybody knew how long the forum was down for. Given that all this is moving relatively quickly, and people are working with different levels of information, it's unlikely any form of the community will survive anywhere without huge fractures/being vastly diminished.

I also expect that replacement forums, like ResetEra, are going to be flooded with the kind of people crowing over the fall of Gaf. That doesn't sound like fun.

This as well. Sexual allegations should always be taken seriously, but shouldn’t the person accused have a chance to defend themselves? Wait for the evidence to present itself, and if there’s truth to those allegations then we will find out.

for someone with a low opinion of nebulous bullshit you sure seem to be posting a lot of it itt

Mahadev

Do you? You brought up reddit as an example. You're the one claiming it was invented by and frequently used by liberals and your best examples are Bill Maher and a nebulous group of other liberal commentators and then brought up reddit. Well I'm convinced.

No I don't, but I'm not the one making grant statements like "liberals don't say SJW", am I? I specifically said

" Big groups like liberals or progressives aren't a monolith, just because in the GAF bubble the mods had created the word was synonymous with evil it doesn't mean everyone using it is a Trump supporter."

which I proved.

HStallion

No I don't, but I'm not the one making grant statements like "liberals don't say SJW", am I? I specifically said

" Big groups like liberals or progressives aren't a monolith, just because in the GAF bubble the mods had created the word was synonymous with evil it doesn't mean everyone using it is a Trump supporter."

which I proved.

No you made the claim they invented the term and use it in some common capacity. Then you called me out for not posting definitive proof while doing just that yourself. Don't project so much.

anothertech

This thread is a heated pile of dung snap! So much misinformation.

People need to get their facts straight, and stop spewing vitriol.

True colors indeed.

Top Bottom