• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's sickening people are showing their true color

I mentioned this in another thread, but when there is an air of us vs. them people tend to gravitate towards the extremes that identify that group, so they feel part of something.

When Gamergate emerged not only did people within gamergate become more extreme, but people who opposed them (sensible people) often moved towards the extreme opposite. I feel like that was the problem with neogaf. The opinions were basically always correct, but everything was extreme, like we were at war.

Now resetERA is positioning themselves vs NeoGAF I genuinely don't know what's going to happen. We're not extreme opposites. Is it going to be outspoken vs. fence sitters? Will they get bored of us and go back to their war against GG?

Either way I hope that focusing away of videogames moves away from all that tribalism.

You are responding to a lie

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I agree, it definitely is a case of extremities. People couldn’t accept another/different point of view without labelling the other. Either you were a GG/Nazi or a SJW, no shades of grey. It’s perfectly normal to disagree with someone and that simply be the case but here it became normal to insinuate some hidden agenda solely because you couldn’t accept another persons opinion. Hopefully going forward we can just discuss things in a civil manner without there always having to be some ulterior motive to absolutely everything.

Anyone calling someone a SJW on GAF didn't last long and for good reason.

HStallion

so why are you still here?

it's clear you don't want to be, if it's the shit show you feel it is, then just go.. commit account suicide or whatever.. ..

Maybe so posts like these don't go unanswered. I loved GAF and hate seeing what happened to it. Don't like what I'm saying then don't respond.

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
I guess the vast vast majority of users will have no idea about why this site was down or won't care and will be glad it's back online. So yeah, I don't think this forum's gonna die.

I guess the vast vast majority of users will have no idea about why this site was down or won't care and will be glad it's back online. So yeah, I don't think this forum's gonna die.

The big shock will be when OT comes back and most of the communities are gone

Chao

Oh yeah I’ve clicked on all those “new Gaf!” Forum links.

All of those forums suck hot monkey dick and are a nightmare to navigate through . Specially that one with pictures behind topic titles, making it impossible to read and headache inducing.

Good luck with your forums guys, as if there was a shortage of online gaming communities.

But calling anyone you didn't like a Nazi, scum, piece of shit, Russian shill and so on was A-OK also for a "good reason"?

weird how you can't see pigeon and his at-least-one ban for doing exactly that first thing while you're still atop Kneejerk Mountain

Don't believe anything you hear, from an initial peak they seem to make up vague rules so that they can ban anyone with dissenting opinion

>"don't believe anything you hear"
>proceeds to blatantly make shit up

Mahadev

Oh, okay. Thank god. A lot of conflicting reports on twitter.

Don't believe anything you hear, from an initial peak they seem to make up vague rules so that they can ban anyone with dissenting opinion. I fully expect even worse bullying than before against anyone not complying to their dogmas and they'll definitely bring back the clique.

I agree, it definitely is a case of extremities. People couldn’t accept another/different point of view without labelling the other. Either you were a GG/Nazi or a SJW, no shades of grey. It’s perfectly normal to disagree with someone and that simply be the case but here it became normal to insinuate some hidden agenda solely because you couldn’t accept another persons opinion. Hopefully going forward we can just discuss things in a civil manner without there always having to be some ulterior motive to absolutely everything.

I agree with this. I'm a person of the left of centre. Until recently I was a member of a left-wing political party. But I'm also a rationalist. Discussing politics from that perspective was very difficult. There was always an approved view on any subject and differing from that, if only to point out that X doesn't necessarily = Y and may (note: MAY) in fact = Z, would have people quote your post for page after page, demanding explanations already given pages earlier and accusing you of having some kind of stealthy political objective. And half the time you just get straight up banned.

Also the site was/is increasingly humourless. But I don't expect that to change.

Oh yeah I’ve clicked on all those “new Gaf!” Forum links.

All of those forums suck hot monkey dick and are a nightmare to navigate through . Specially that one with pictures behind topic titles, making it impossible to read and headache inducing.

Good luck with your forums guys, as if there was a shortage of online gaming communities.

The place people are going to isn't even up yet...

HStallion

Don't believe anything you hear, from an initial peak they seem to make up vague rules so that they can ban anyone with dissenting opinion. I fully expect even worse bullying than before against anyone not complying to their dogmas and they'll definitely bring back the clique.

Lol don't believe them but believe this hearsay I'm posting. Ok buddy

munchie64

Initial peak at what? The discord?

I think that whoever left will not be missed. They didn't want a video game forum.

"whoever left" includes basically everyone that made OT worth reading. i don't even think sunhi is staying

it's more likely that whatever this forum turns into isn't going to be missed, but weirder things have happened

HStallion

I agree with this. I'm a person of the left of centre. Until recently I was a member of a left-wing political party. But I'm also a rationalist. Discussing politics from that perspective was very difficult. There was always an approved view on any subject and differing from that, if only to point out that X doesn't necessarily = Y and may (note: MAY) in fact = Z, would have people quote your post for page after page, demanding explanations already given pages earlier and accusing you of having some kind of stealthy political objective. And half the time you just get straight up banned.

Also the site was/is increasingly humourless. But I don't expect that to change.

What GAF did you go to that was humourless? There were tons of hilarious topics, intentionally or not. Maybe you mean humourless about a lot of the uncomfortable realities of the world?

I think that whoever left will not be missed. They didn't want a video game forum.

Nether do those cheering all this on.

Mahadev

Yeah and guess what? They got banned too. It was quite common

No they weren't. A great example is that the same mods that blame the whole Amir0x situation on Evilore now are the ones that were allowing him to bully users here 24/7 and be the usual piece of shit he always was. He and many others were always rude and always ready to bully people because they knew they can get away with it.

HStallion

No they weren't. A great example is that the same mods that blame the whole Amir0x situation on Evilore were allowing him to bully users here 24/7 and be the usual piece of shit he is. He and many others were always rude and always ready to bully people because they knew they can get away with it.

And he was banned many times for it and demodded as well... Don't you have more disinformation to spread about the follow up forums?

Seventy70

What GAF did you go to that was humourless? There were tons of hilarious topics, intentionally or not. Maybe you mean humourless about a lot of the uncomfortable realities of the world?
I think "humourless" means not being able to post memes and do hit and run posts.

I actually hope that kind of stuff is punished more going forward. It always sucks to have people derail a thread or try to get in a clever post all of the time. There were also the posts that would get quoted a million times with "lol" or "savage".

There were many funny threads and many funny users. But there are also a large number of people who don't recognise jokes and don't know what to do with them when they see them. And I'm not talking about shitposting either EDIT: or fucking memes. Actual, funny ha-ha jokes. Not allowed. Levity is a good thing.

Mahadev

And he was banned many times for it and demodded as well...

Yes, banned for a few days and there he goes again bullying people. Meanwhile anyone who didn't agree with the dogma was permabanned under the Not fit for the community vague explanation or similar ones.

I think he's going to need surgery and about 3-years rehab.

At least he outted himself as a gamer gater easily. He was brave enough to express his hate.

Well done.

Sadly for you, I'm not a gamer gater. I've no interest in their anti-feminist bullshit, or their constant trolling games. I AM, however, one of the apparently many members of this site who got thoroughly sick of the overmodding, dogpiling and wrong-think bans over the years. And its exactly that which has led to the outrage culture which is quite specific to GAF. And which contributed mightily to the current chaos, on top of whatever EL may or may not have done.

You can see it all around you in this forum now.

HStallion

There were many funny threads and many funny users. But there are also a large number of people who don't recognise jokes and don't know what to do with them when they seen them. And I'm not talking about shitposting either. Actual, funny ha-ha jokes. Not allowed.

Depends if the funny jokes were offensive to people and often rightfully were called out. Calling a shitty comment a joke was also another sad and classic common defense.

Ombra

I think "humourless" means not being able to post memes and do hit and run posts.

I actually hope that kind of stuff is punished more going forward. It always sucks to have people derail a thread or try to get in a clever post all of the time. There were also the posts that would get quoted a million times with "lol" or "savage".
Well put.

GLAMr

So many people asking for bans .. are posting racist, disrespectful posts, NSFW pictures, memes and many other stuff.

It's like the many times we see people write "I am not a racist" but goes on to say something racist. So many people are just wolves in sheep's clothes and acting all high and mighty.

I am not defending the owner of the site. In fact, I joined this site without knowing the history. Just knew it was a great source of gaming news and some great people. I myself was banned a few times for defending Nintendo (I own all consoles btw) from trolls. But isn't it overboard to claim "rapist", "murderer" etc without getting all facts right? We are still all adults right?
HAHA, oh man. After all the turmoil and drama of the last few days, this made me literally laugh out loud. Thank you. This is for you:
Nintendo-Defence-Force-1.jpg

HStallion

Yes, banned for a few days and there he goes again bullying people. Meanwhile anyone who didn't agree with the dogma was permabanned under the Not fit for the community vague explanation or similar ones.

You can ignore people you know that right? It's a handy tool.

pieface

I haven't really been following what's going on, I generally just come here and browse the gaming chat and leave again.

Top Bottom