• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ive been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.

Syder

You do realise that if you changed your diet in conjunction with all that walking the weight would drop off.

Your life is in your hands, changing your diet will suck for a little bit but you'll be surprised how quickly the body adjusts.

Linkura

Sounds like you are getting more than enough exercise, OP. It's all going to come from your diet. You can do it. And get some therapy for the depression

you're fucked OP, wish I could say nice thing but I've seen too many people not being able to handle this sickness.

Neat, glad you felt motivated to come into a thread to be an asshole.
Sugary stuff is a large part of my diet, well it was. I havent ate any sugar for two days now and to be honest I felt ridiculous. I had to google what was wrong with me. I didnt realize you could have sugar withdrawal. I had to throw away a pint of Ben and Jerrys or I was going to cave. Im actually starting to feel a bit better now. I have another doctors appointment tomorrow afternoon. We didnt really get in-depth on my diet but I assume we will then.

How much sugary stuff do you eat? How many calories per day? It has to be more than just" I buy prepared meals and don't cook for myself".

Diet is the most important component in weight loss. You could walk 20 miles a day and it wouldn't burn off a fast food diet.

Neat, glad you felt motivated to come into a thread to be an asshole.

How much sugary stuff do you eat? How many calories per day? It has to be more than just" I buy prepared meals and don't cook for myself".

I never really kept count. I usually have ice cream or chocolate candy in the evening. McDonalds on the way to work. Lunch is always Dairy Queen or McDonalds as I have both on my mail route. Red Robin takeout or dinner from the BBQ joint by my house picked up on the way home. Usually a coke for breakfast and lunch. Sweet tea at home in the evening. I do drink lots of water at work.

I never really kept count. I usually have ice cream or chocolate candy in the evening. McDonalds on the way to work. Lunch is always Dairy Queen or McDonalds as I have both on my mail route. Red Robin takeout or dinner from the BBQ joint by my house picked up on the way home.
The McDonald's is what's doing it. You can eat out if you can afford it but you have to get stuff better than McDonald's, all those meals are like a minimum of 1000 calories with many being much more than that.

Diabetes can happen to anyone. You are definitely at high risk when overweight, but there are even athletes who carb load every day, and burn it off, but end up insulin resistant due to the extreme they put their body through.

The good news is that cutting carbs from your diet should help both your issues. As long as you keep an eye on overall calories, going low carb/high fat will help lower blood sugar and also help you drop weight.

I started eating this way near the start of the year, ang try to keep below 25g of carbs, and it is amazing how good I feel when my body does not rely on carbs as fuel. I have no highs and lows due my body lacking/wanting sugar.

Check out Dr. Jason Fung. He's been treating diabetes with fasting and the ketogenic diet to great success. Good luck man.

Laekon

The McDonald's is what's doing it. You can eat out if you can afford it but you have to get stuff better than McDonald's, all those meals are like a minimum of 1000 calories with many being much more than that.

Yeah it must be the McDonalds cause everything else sounds really healthy.

night814

Ted Cruz, is that you?
Haha.

I have type one diabetes and it can be difficult at times to control. Diet is first and foremost. You eat looks of carbs and sugar your numbers are going to go up, it's a simple as that. Try more complex foods that are easier to digest like fruits and vegetables.

I was diagnosed type one (originally Incorrectly diagnosed type 2 ) 3 years ago at age 32. It's a whirlwind of emotions. Nobody without it understands how you feel. My only advice is take it seriously. This is YOUR disease own it. Learn all about it. Never stop trying. If you make the right decisions you will be healthier then you ever would have been without diabetes.

Low carb is KEY to start.

Diabetes Reddit is an amazing resource.

Sorry about the diagnosis but YOU got this.

TaterTots

Banned
Anecdotal evidence is flying fast and furious here so I want to say please don't expect it to go away just because you lose weight. It goes into remission for some people, for others it's a lifelong condition that has to be carefully controlled. I'm in category 2 and was crestfallen when my doctor explained this. But you can learn to live with it.

From doing research it is a possibility to lose type 2, but I do not want to get anyone's hopes up. I just hope it works for him.

cordy

Banned
OP, you have what it takes to get your weight right and to control this disease. Just follow what most have been saying and eat right, count your calories and get on a great workout routine. It's not over for you, not even close. You got this.

old

Honestly, I'm amazed you walk 13 miles a day and are overweight.

But I've heard the saying from people more informed than me, "you can't outrun the fork." So you might want to seriously look at your diet.

I never really kept count. I usually have ice cream or chocolate candy in the evening. McDonalds on the way to work. Lunch is always Dairy Queen or McDonalds as I have both on my mail route. Red Robin takeout or dinner from the BBQ joint by my house picked up on the way home. Usually a coke for breakfast and lunch. Sweet tea at home in the evening. I do drink lots of water at work.

Basically everything you listed here is a form of carb. Regardless of the high amount of calories, which is another issue, you are filling your system with too much carbs and your pancreas cannot deal with that, and neither can you liver. To deal with that much carbs - which I am guessing is over 300g per day - you will probably end up been prescribed a lot of meds. However, the meds you will be taking won't heal you, they will just help your system try to cope. If you reduce carbs you are automatically giving yourself a smaller mountain to climb to overcome this.

entremet

That’s everyday? Yeah man, 10 mike walks aren’t going to help with that caloric intake.

Do you know how to cook?

It is not just carbs but the carbs plus fat. That’s a lethal combo health wise.

Did the doctor give you a meter? If not go to Walmart right now and buy the cheap reli-on one with some strips.

Start testing your Blood sugar when you wake up, before you eat and after you eat. Keep a log of everything.

Find out what amount of carbs is pushing you over the edge. I take it you had an A1C test? What did that look like?

VeeP

Last year my levels were good. Glucose normal, blood pressure normal.

This year my levels are not good. Im overweight and I guess its finally caught up to me. This year has been a change for me as I have been promoted at work and now Im going on trips that are catered and such. Ive spent about 6 weeks away from home this year just eating whatever. More alcohol than Im used to as well as I socialize with coworkers at functions.

My family is pissed because quite honestly, and maybe this is because of the diabetes, I said fuck it I dont care. I do care, but Ive been depressed quite a bit lately. Ive read diabetes can cause depression. Its happened a lot to me lately. Im a mailman and I walk everyday around 11 to 13 miles. The solitude has gotten to me during the last 6 or so months to where I just am literally crying by the time Im done with my route. Im not sad about my job, I love my job, but the endless walking gives me time to dwell and its fucking me up.

Does anyone else have experience with this? I cant even contemplate the changes to my diet Im going to have to do. Just typing this up is making me depressed and I want to just end this with saying fuck it. I know I cant, though. I also cant fathom how Im going to exercise more. Im literally exhausted when Im done walking all day.

Ugh.

Hey OP, sorry to hear that.

First let's talk about your depression. Maybe it's symptom of your diabetes, but you should talk to a Physician about it. Hopefully they can recommend treatment or something else to help you overcome it.

Second, your family is just upset because they care about you (I'm assuming, I was upset at my dad when he had diabetes because I tried to really help prevent it from happening, but he wouldn't listen). It's important to keep that in mind.

Third, it is what it is. Worrying about it won't help. Stressing won't help. Ignoring it won't help. Diabetes is a very serious disease, it's been called the "silent killer" because people don't realize they have it until it's too late. BUT, if you stay on top of your game, you'll be able to live a long, healthy life.

Start watching your diet, if your family is supportive ask them to help you. After my dad was diagnosed, he really wanted to change his lifestyle. So I looked up good foods, meals, etc. with him. It turned out to be a good way to bond.

And if your not working out, start up! Lift weights a few days a week, do cardio the other days.

And most importantly, follow your Doctors treatment and never miss an appointment!

Good luck OP.

hirokazu

I think you're kinda in a good starting place because you already walk a hell of a lot and we can pretty much pinpoint the cause of your obesity and diabetes to your super poor diet. Versus people who also have a desk job where they also have to get into the habit of getting enough exercise.

So you really just need to change your diet as per any suggestions from your doctor as well as maybe some tips from people in here. With improvements to your health, you should see an improvement for your depression, but please see a doctor about that!

Good luck!

tribal24

Banned
Did the doctor give you a meter? If not go to Walmart right now and buy the cheap reli-on one with some strips.

Start testing your Blood sugar when you wake up, before you eat and after you eat. Keep a log of everything.

Find out what amount of carbs is pushing you over the edge. I take it you had an A1C test? What did that look like?

Agreed I got the Walmart relion as a backup and it's right in the same readings as my freestyle lite.

Your depression could be a symptom of your diabetes, but it's probably not. It's something you're going to have to seek treatment for separately. But let me tell you from experience it's not that bad and it will really help to have someone to talk to.

I know my diet is shit. I eat bad food because I dont take time out to grocery shop or cook. I went to the store and meal prepped for the next few days some chicken and salads. Boiled eggs for breakfast or overnight oats. I literally go weeks without cooking.

As for my weight. Im 5'9 and 250. =( I hate even typing that.

Not bad...i was 5'8 215. All I started doing was eating cucumber salad for lunch and a light dinner. I would walk/light jog 2 miles a day. I'm 190 now still got a ways to go. I lost that in like 3 weeks.

As for losing weight, don't seek any fad diets or quick fixes. You've got to successfully reorient your lifestyle toward lifelong habits that will support a healthy body. Get the MyFitnessPal app and start counting calories with the goal of creating a calorie deficit that will lose about a pound a week. You should also ask your diabetes doctor to set up an appointment with a dietician who will plan a balanced diabetic diet that will make sure you get all your nutrients. Personally because of my health issues I ended up completely vitamin D depleted. Probably won't happen to you because you get sun but that's the kind of imbalance you want to avoid.

I did not mention it in the other posts, but am diabetic too, and this was my number a few hours ago because I keep an eye on my carbs. It is always around these numbers. Sometimes in the high 5s.

JkZVf7Xl.png

I believe this is around 90 mg/dl (US scale).

I am still a good few lbs overweight (which I am working on), but because I watch my carbs my sugars are in the ideal range. I still enjoy all my meals, and life is not bad without a high amount of carbs.

You can do it OP!

Dazza

Most definitely your diet, sweets, treats and calorie laden drinks should be an occasional treat not a daily endeavour.

I find most people whom are overweight confuse the feeling of not being full with being hungry. It doesn't help when a lot of the foods they are choosing to eat are designed to override the body's natural satiety hormones.

You can definitely reverse type 2 diabetes, even if you were to only cut out the things in my first paragraph and skip any food/calories before lunch. With your activity level of your job you will shed fat like crazy and restore your body's insulin sensitivity. You will however suffer the effects of low blood sugar levels until your body adapts, takes about a week or 2.

Locke562

Not bad...i was 5'8 215. All I started doing was eating cucumber salad for lunch and a light dinner. I would walk/light jog 2 miles a day. I'm 190 now still got a ways to go. I lost that in like 3 weeks.
That's pretty fast and not sustainable. You probably shouldn't be running a calorie deficit higher than 1000 per day. That's 2 pounds a week.

The Lamp

Too much sugar. No wonder.

Limit your carbs, take a fiber supplement, no more juice and soda and sweet tea. Use artificial sweeteners if needed.

I had a long post written out, but it was just repeating what everyone else already said.

OP, you need something to look forward to other than food.

Came to post this too.

Keto is great, and if you like ready made meals, learn some crockpot things to make. Its changed my life in many ways. The ultimant thing you have to do is just discover new things that you can eat/drink that don't have carbs in them. Fat bombs are my desert now. Tho recently I have been using them more of a meal in the morning or if its the weekend and I'm staying up.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I did not mention it in the other posts, but am diabetic too, and this was my number a few hours ago because I keep an eye on my carbs. It is always around these numbers. Sometimes in the high 5s.

JkZVf7Xl.png

I believe this is around 90 mg/dl (US scale).

I am still a good few lbs overweight (which I am working on), but because I watch my carbs my sugars are in the ideal range. I still enjoy all my meals, and life is not bad without a high amount of carbs.

You can do it OP!

4 ~ high 5s is completely normal even for non-diabetics, so you are good for sure.

IceCold

I'd look into a ketogenic diet. r/keto is a good source. I personally know people who were able to reverse their prediabetes with it. Although type 2 diabetes is for life, doing such a diet should keep your glucose levels stable, there's a lot of people with diabetes in r/keto who got great results. It's a long battle but you can do it.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Sugary stuff is a large part of my diet, well it was. I havent ate any sugar for two days now and to be honest I felt ridiculous. I had to google what was wrong with me. I didnt realize you could have sugar withdrawal. I had to throw away a pint of Ben and Jerrys or I was going to cave. Im actually starting to feel a bit better now. I have another doctors appointment tomorrow afternoon. We didnt really get in-depth on my diet but I assume we will then.

Yeah I didn't go through that because I don't even remember consciously quitting, but it's not surprising. Good on you on going through it. In any case, it's making a habit out of eating other healthier things that will allow you to eventually get over it. Eventually, you just lose all cravings for sweet things, other than maybe fruits here and then.

Yeah there are stories of people who have cured it through diet alone. You need MyFitnessPal as an app and start logging in your daily calories as a start just to see where you idle.

I just realised all the info was there.

Lets try to figure out what you can do right now to slowly improve.

I would definitely start with drinking more water. Walking 20km a day is a lot that burns about 1600 calories lets say just from the walking alone. You must get very hungry from it. How much water do you drink and

Your mind will trick you into thinking you need some fast energy due to your activity. But walking does not need instant sugary energy even if your body is telling you it might. There are two other ways.

That hard part is the processed food if you find you are time poor, your food decisions will suffer.

trick your body into getting some bulky food but without the calories so you can use your walking as and advantage to lose weight. Fibrous foods are a start.

Well, Im pretty fucking excited.

I had another doctors appointment to determine what kind of treatment I needed.

I practically begged my doctor to give me two weeks to drastically change my diet.

For the next 14 days I changed my diet completely.

No processed food.
No salt added.
No/low sodium ingredients only and no sugar.

Breakfast
1/2 cup oatmeal with apple puree.

Mid morning snack
Apple

Lunch
1 cup of cooked rice with a protein the size of a deck of playing cards.

Mid-afternoon snack
Banana

Dinner
Steamed or baked veggies with a protein the size of a deck of playing cards.

Evening snack
Some dehydrated fruit.

Went to the doctor today and I lowered my blood pressure by 14 points. I lost 10 pounds and my glucose is right below prediabetic.

So I avoided any medicine as treatment. Im just going to keep eating like this. Its saved me a ton of money as well.

I wont lie, though. It wasnt the thought of bad health that scared me, it was getting a shot daily. The first week I was really miserable. I was cranky as fuck and couldnt stop thinking about food. I just threw myself into Destiny 2 and Monster Hunter Stories while I wasnt at work.

Oh yeah, besides walking at work all day I also went swimming a few times a week at the local YMCA.

So yay me, I guess.

To celebrate, I went to Red Robin and got a grilled chicken sandwich but instead of bread I had it wrapped in lettuce, so it was almost like what I'd eat at home. I just wanted some french fries. I couldnt even finish them and I dont feel so well. IT made me realize how much I was eating and Im disgusted.

Well, Im pretty fucking excited.

I had another doctors appointment to determine what kind of treatment I needed.

I practically begged my doctor to give me two weeks to drastically change my diet.

For the next 14 days I changed my diet completely.

No processed food.
No salt added.
No/low sodium ingredients only and no sugar.

Breakfast
1/2 cup oatmeal with apple puree.

Mid morning snack
Apple

Lunch
1 cup of cooked rice with a protein the size of a deck of playing cards.

Mid-afternoon snack
Banana

Dinner
Steamed or baked veggies with a protein the size of a deck of playing cards.

Evening snack
Some dehydrated fruit.

Went to the doctor today and I lowered my blood pressure by 14 points. I lost 10 pounds and my glucose is right below prediabetic.

So I avoided any medicine as treatment. Im just going to keep eating like this. Its saved me a ton of money as well.

I wont lie, though. It wasnt the thought of bad health that scared me, it was getting a shot daily. The first week I was really miserable. I was cranky as fuck and couldnt stop thinking about food. I just threw myself into Destiny 2 and Monster Hunter Stories while I wasnt at work.

Oh yeah, besides walking at work all day I also went swimming a few times a week at the local YMCA.

So yay me, I guess.

To celebrate, I went to Red Robin and got a grilled chicken sandwich but instead of bread I had it wrapped in lettuce, so it was almost like what I'd eat at home. I just wanted some french fries. I couldnt even finish them and I dont feel so well. IT made me realize how much I was eating and Im disgusted.

Well done! Keep it up!

Word to the wise though: dehydrated fruits are loaded with sugars (and often carbs too) and its really easy to eat a lot very quickly so you may wanna keep those to a minimum.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I had to change my diet, not to lose weight, but for IBD and at first you will miss some of your favorite foods, but trust me when I say that once you get used to a healthier diet, if you went back and tried a lot of those same old foods they honestly will make you sick and feel really gross and you won't miss them at all. I've had my new diet for about 10 years now and am still constantly adjusting as my condition changes.

There's still some stuff you will always crave, and you can always eat them in moderation once you get down to a good weight, but healthy diets are an acquired taste so don't give up on it right away.

People are shocked at how bad soda is for them, most think it's just bad for their teeth(which it is) but it's awful for your weight. Just cutting soda alone helps people lose weight. I haven't had soda in a decade, but last time I tried a sip it was so nasty, not sure I could ever drink it again even if I wanted to.

Hope the diet works well for you. Eating healthy is a lifestyle, not a phase. Approach it like that and you'll do fine. I say this in a positive way, not disrespectfully, so don't take it the wrong way, but losing weight isn't nearly as hard as people make it out to be. That's not to belittle one's accomplishments, losing weight is always something to be proud of, but a big reason people don't do it is because they find it way more daunting than it actually is and don't even attempt to stick with it. I have a friend who lose over 100 pounds a year ago, I'm so proud of her and she always thought it would be impossible, but once she learned more about weight loss, she just went out and did it and reached her goal.

Weight loss doesn't fly off. It's slow, gradual, and sometimes you will "hit a wall" and for a week only lose like one pound instead of 5 or whatever you typically lose, and you will get frustrated, but the key is not to give up. It's science, and science never fails. There's a cause and effect, and as long as you burn more than you earn you should lose weight and eventually get healthy.

Good luck!

Someone once told me that exercising doesn't do shit if your diet is shit. Whats your diet like OP? No shame. No judgement. Just a general description of what you eat.

Read the following but not really related to my question. Just my experience with something somewhat similar.
I was pretty depressed at one point and binged on chocolates, sodas, and ate in bulk. One day I decided enough was enough and Stopped drinking anything that wasn't water. Kept the usual diet because baby steps. Once a week passed of water only I then stopped eating chocolate for a week. Then I still ate the usual bulk put portioned throughout the day and almonds... ALMONDS ARE A GODSEND. Whenever I had a craving I'd eat almonds and after a few of those I felt full to even try eating whatever it was I was craving. I'll ask more question but first lets here the answer to my initial question.

Someone once told me that exercising doesn't do shit if your diet is shit. Whats your diet like OP? No shame. No judgement. Just a general description of what you eat.

Read the following but not really related to my question. Just my experience with something somewhat similar.
I was pretty depressed at one point and binged on chocolates, sodas, and ate in bulk. One day I decided enough was enough and Stopped drinking anything that wasn't water. Kept the usual diet because baby steps. Once a week passed of water only I then stopped eating chocolate for a week. Then I still ate the usual bulk put portioned throughout the day and almonds... ALMONDS ARE A GODSEND. Whenever I had a craving I'd eat almonds and after a few of those I felt full to even try eating whatever it was I was craving. I'll ask more question but first lets here the answer to my initial question.

Unless you mention game of thrones finale why use spoiler tags

Lord Fagan

I'm not quoting the wannabe edge lord telling OP they're fucked.

Listen to your doctor, OP. You're mortal, and these things happen, but you live in a wondrous age of highly advanced nutritional and physical fitness science and technology. Positive reinforcement of better behaviors and a focus on keeping yourself in healthier environments with people who care about you is key. Shame your family is kicking you a bit while you're down, but I imagine it's easier for them to be "disappointed" then to be frightened for you.

Have some grapes and a tall glass of filtered ice water. You'll be okay. Best of luck, OP.

Google and then read this

91P6vu2nYPL.jpg

It's a short book but the science is undeniable. There are some inspirational testimonials included. Please please please take a look OP

Top Bottom