• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ive been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.

DonMigs85

Cut out soda and processed fruit juce, then cut down on carbs and sugary snacks. Might need to try the ketogenic diet

Dazza

I thought bananas and dried fruits are bad?

Yeah not great but certainly better than what OP was eating before. Sugar addiction is hard to give up

Well, Im pretty fucking excited.

I had another doctors appointment to determine what kind of treatment I needed.

I practically begged my doctor to give me two weeks to drastically change my diet.

For the next 14 days I changed my diet completely.

No processed food.
No salt added.
No/low sodium ingredients only and no sugar.

Breakfast
1/2 cup oatmeal with apple puree.

Mid morning snack
Apple

Lunch
1 cup of cooked rice with a protein the size of a deck of playing cards.

Mid-afternoon snack
Banana

Dinner
Steamed or baked veggies with a protein the size of a deck of playing cards.

Evening snack
Some dehydrated fruit.

Went to the doctor today and I lowered my blood pressure by 14 points. I lost 10 pounds and my glucose is right below prediabetic.

So I avoided any medicine as treatment. Im just going to keep eating like this. Its saved me a ton of money as well.

I wont lie, though. It wasnt the thought of bad health that scared me, it was getting a shot daily. The first week I was really miserable. I was cranky as fuck and couldnt stop thinking about food. I just threw myself into Destiny 2 and Monster Hunter Stories while I wasnt at work.

Oh yeah, besides walking at work all day I also went swimming a few times a week at the local YMCA.

So yay me, I guess.

To celebrate, I went to Red Robin and got a grilled chicken sandwich but instead of bread I had it wrapped in lettuce, so it was almost like what I'd eat at home. I just wanted some french fries. I couldnt even finish them and I dont feel so well. IT made me realize how much I was eating and Im disgusted.

Awesome work Joe, keep it up we know you can beat this

Painguy

I'm sorry to hear that man. I have a lot of fam who have diabetes. A lot of them however refused longterm meds and chose to fix their diet. Soon after teaching themselves they no longer needed any kind of special treatment. It's very tough though tho to get that initial push, but soon after it gets easier. I wish you luck dude.

What were your side effects that made you want to check?

The initial visit was because I wanted to get my allergy prescription renewed. I hadn't seen her in awhile so I had to go in to get it. She saw me and was like, you look a little rough. I told her I was tired a lot because of work and she wasn't buying it. In my defense I thought it was because of work and it being summer. So she made me go get a bunch of tests on my day off and that's when I found out I had some really bad results.

She was right, too! I'm not tired after work now. My last two days off I didn't spend sleeping. I went to the Y and actually got some stuff around the house done.

Someone asked why bananas. It's one of the only fruits I like. Another thing I cut it was Gatorade at work. I'd drink like two bottles of the stuff. It's full of potassium, sodium and calories and I was worried with drastically changing my diet, I would lack potassium.

I thought bananas and dried fruits are bad?

If you are doing Keto they should be avoided, but for someone looking to cut carbs from 300g+ a day it seems fine once they know their body can deal with it.

I would regularly get blood tests if I changed my diet drastically to see how my bloods are effected.

Lombax

Banned
OP have you started looking into a ketogenic diet? Also give tbe podcast 2keto dudes a listen.

I'm sorry about the DX. I worked on a artificial pancreas project last year so I am all too familiar with what you are going through.

skybald

I am glad to hear there is progress. I definitely have gained weight the pat couple of years and desperately want to avoid diabetes as well.

I have started on the ketogenic diet. The first week is hard. But since you cut so much sugar out of your diet and got over the hardest cravings (first week or two) it might be something to look into.

The only problem is there is no room for error. Knocking your body in and out of ketosis when you first start is easy to do. But there is so much fatty foods you can eat that it is easy to avoid your regular cravings.

I got a Ketogenic Cookboom at Costco for $20 and have been following it closely

Nowise10

If you truly walk 13 miles a day just at your job and still weigh 250 pounds, that means you are consuming over 4750+ calories a day.

Which means you are severely overestimating how much you walk, or you are obviously eating way too much.

Greedings

I listen to music mostly. I think that has an effect on me as I usually listen to depressing music. lol. Im going to switch it up to mostly podcasts I think.

What came first, the music or the misery? People worry about kids playing with guns, or watching violent videos, that some sort of culture of violence will take them over. Nobody worries about kids listening to thousands, literally thousands of songs about heartbreak, rejection, pain, misery and loss. Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?

If you truly walk 13 miles a day just at your job and still weigh 250 pounds, that means you are consuming over 4750+ calories a day.

Which means you are severely overestimating how much you walk, or you are obviously eating way too much.

My mail route is a tad over 11 miles. I do overtime on an almost daily basis as well. I ate poorly.

Roody

Neo Member
Good on you, Joe! Let me offer up some encouragement in the form of a success story, too:

I was diagnosed with type 2 as well about 5 months ago. My A1C was 8.5. I immediately got put on metformin and began changing my diet around and exercising more. I was 260 lbs when I started all this work.

In July, I got my 3-month checkup, and I was 200 lbs, my A1C was 6.1, and I was exercising daily, feeling better than ever. I no longer need the metformin to control my blood sugar, just diet was enough. My doctor was amazed. I was no longer diabetic, but am now just hyperglycemic.

Now I'm working hard to lose a bit more (my goal is 160, and I'm at 185 right now). With any luck I can push everything into remission.

Work hard, and it's totally possible! You seem to be putting the effort in and doing good work! Keep it up and you have my best wishes!

aparisi2274

Last year my levels were good. Glucose normal, blood pressure normal.

This year my levels are not good. Im overweight and I guess its finally caught up to me. This year has been a change for me as I have been promoted at work and now Im going on trips that are catered and such. Ive spent about 6 weeks away from home this year just eating whatever. More alcohol than Im used to as well as I socialize with coworkers at functions.

My family is pissed because quite honestly, and maybe this is because of the diabetes, I said fuck it I dont care. I do care, but Ive been depressed quite a bit lately. Ive read diabetes can cause depression. Its happened a lot to me lately. Im a mailman and I walk everyday around 11 to 13 miles. The solitude has gotten to me during the last 6 or so months to where I just am literally crying by the time Im done with my route. Im not sad about my job, I love my job, but the endless walking gives me time to dwell and its fucking me up.

Does anyone else have experience with this? I cant even contemplate the changes to my diet Im going to have to do. Just typing this up is making me depressed and I want to just end this with saying fuck it. I know I cant, though. I also cant fathom how Im going to exercise more. Im literally exhausted when Im done walking all day.

Ugh.

I have Type 2 Diabetes, and when I was diagnosed with it my A1C was like 7.2, and then after changing my diet (I was/am still overweight) and exercising more and taking the Metformin my A1C dropped down to 6.0... since then it has gone up a bit, but if you can change your diet and keep it under control and limit your sugar intake to like one item a day, or if you have the willpower to do it, cut out all sugars, you should see your numbers drop considerably, but you just have to remember that you need to make a complete lifestyle change... If you can do that, you'll be golden.

Good luck

This is my route I do 5 days a week.

xyU0uat.png

Lombax

Banned
Awesome work Joe, keep it up we know you can beat this

Joe it is absolutely awesome that you changed your diet to whole foods. I in no way want to diminish your accomplishment.

Please seek out advice other than a standard dietitian. I worry that the menu you posted earlier contains a lot of carbohydrates [that metabolize into sugar], and there is a lot of sugar in the fruits [esp. dried fruit].
As mentioned earlier 2 keto dudes is a great starting point as well as looking into diets that focus on using whole natural foods.

This comes from a place of love. I want anyone who can to get this under control.

I love that so many here are advocating for keto. I started keto about a year and a half ago and have gone from 350 lbs. down to 197 as of this morning. It definitely works. I also would recommend KetoTalk as a good podcast to listen to.

Korey

Well, Im pretty fucking excited.

I had another doctors appointment to determine what kind of treatment I needed.

I practically begged my doctor to give me two weeks to drastically change my diet.

For the next 14 days I changed my diet completely.

No processed food.
No salt added.
No/low sodium ingredients only and no sugar.

Breakfast
1/2 cup oatmeal with apple puree.

Mid morning snack
Apple

Lunch
1 cup of cooked rice with a protein the size of a deck of playing cards.

Mid-afternoon snack
Banana

Dinner
Steamed or baked veggies with a protein the size of a deck of playing cards.

Evening snack
Some dehydrated fruit.

Went to the doctor today and I lowered my blood pressure by 14 points. I lost 10 pounds and my glucose is right below prediabetic.

So I avoided any medicine as treatment. Im just going to keep eating like this. Its saved me a ton of money as well.

I wont lie, though. It wasnt the thought of bad health that scared me, it was getting a shot daily. The first week I was really miserable. I was cranky as fuck and couldnt stop thinking about food. I just threw myself into Destiny 2 and Monster Hunter Stories while I wasnt at work.

Oh yeah, besides walking at work all day I also went swimming a few times a week at the local YMCA.

So yay me, I guess.

To celebrate, I went to Red Robin and got a grilled chicken sandwich but instead of bread I had it wrapped in lettuce, so it was almost like what I'd eat at home. I just wanted some french fries. I couldnt even finish them and I dont feel so well. IT made me realize how much I was eating and Im disgusted.

Better, but you still have a lot of carbs in there.

Literally the only thing you need to avoid are carbs. Oatmeal, fruit, rice all have carbs. Fruit are actually terrible for you.

Also you don't need a doctor or dietician to tell you what to eat. Just eat not carbs. A lot of doctors/dieticians are still ignorant about low-carb diets.

Try eggs/bacon for breakfast. And yea, all burgers lettuce wrapped from now on. Everywhere does it.

Try to take in less than 150 grams of carbs per day. Ignore calorie counting, it's pretty useless.

Literally, cutting your carbs will make the biggest impact.

Eat good fats and protein, carbs are fine if they are quality and keep them managed.

Top Bottom