• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata: "We are preparing several titles to be launched toward the end of this year"

Ramenman

Please someone dig out this GDC thread where some people were (against all odds) so sure that Zelda Wii was going to be shown at GDC because for some reason it was so obvious and logical that they were actually discussing when it would appear in the conference instead of if it would happen.

Golden.

VOOK said:
*insert witty remark about how Japan will get the games, but the US will get boned*

FIXED LOLOLOL

Okay, maybe I should complain about not having Excite Truck in Yurop, but I could import it and it would be cheaper, plus it's pretty much a given that it will come PALside at some point.

Whereas I would never have put my money on Another Code. NOE deserves some love points back for this one, and Fatal Frame maybe too.

Haunted

Kogepan said:
Wii Sleeping. Pillow peripheral. Its the next logical step.
Trying to appease all the "I don't want to move around while playing" people? Smart move. :p

Amir0x said:
Yeah Wii Music blew Iwata, I agree. Release Pikmin 3 at the end of the year to make it up to me, I know you waaanna.

(Note to spectators: This means they will cancel Pikmin 3)
They seriously need to step it up if they want to best Little King's Story.

Do we even know which EAD team is working on Pikmin?

Johann

DefectiveReject said:
Wii music blew to some, but has still sold millions and therefore more than likely generated a lot of profit.
It becomes a point therein as what is determined to be a failure?
A game making £10's of millions in profit or a game selling sheer numbers.

I reckon the sales of Wii Music would keep most developers in business for a while!

I still think we'll get WiiFit2, and a hardcore game for holidays

Wii Music and Animal Crossing: City Folk were supposed to duplicate the sales of Wii Fit and Mario Kart Wii by being a constant system seller for the Wii. This manifested itself as weaker sales for the Wii, especially in Japan.

It's a success by most standards but it isn't up to Nintendo's high bar of evergreen sales.

AntMurda

Pikmin 3 should come from Kimura-san's EAD group. They did New Super Mario Bros, Yoshi Touch N' Go, Big Brain Academy, and New Play Control Pikmin 1-2.

GCX

Ramenman said:
Please someone dig out this GDC thread where some people were (against all odds) so sure that Zelda Wii was going to be shown at GDC because for some reason it was so obvious and logical that they were actually discussing when it would appear in the conference instead of if it would happen.

Golden.
ZeldaBingo.jpg

That Wii Bingo might become handy again soon because of the E3.

Because we never learn.

Haunted

AntMurda said:
Pikmin 3 should come from Kimura-san's EAD group. They did New Super Mario Bros, Yoshi Touch N' Go, Big Brain Academy, and New Play Control Pikmin 1-2.
Ah, Group 4.

I mostly like them for their DS games, tbh. Not a fan of BBA.

yoopoo

Banned
Last year's E3 focus was Wii Music, before that it was Wii Fit....I'm gussing this year it'll be Wii Fit Plus.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Ramenman said:
FIXED LOLOLOL

Okay, maybe I should complain about not having Excite Truck in Yurop, but I could import it and it would be cheaper, plus it's pretty much a given that it will come PALside at some point.

Whereas I would never have put my money on Another Code. NOE deserves some love points back for this one, and Fatal Frame maybe too.

We haven't got Punch-Out!! here in Australia yet, sorry you still haven't got it as bad as us.

Dascu

At the very least, Nintendo should have a first-party "core" title coming up to show off MotionPlus. I'd be even happier if this was a brand new IP (or a revival of an old one), instead of shoehorning it into, say, Zelda.
I really don't want 1:1 swordfighting to become a focus in Zelda Wii.

I really don't want 1:1 swordfighting to become a focus in Zelda Wii.
I sure as heck would love this. A combat focused Zelda can only mean Nintendo can finally make a Zelda game that's remotely as good as Zelda II.

Toy Soldier said:
This twice. Wii Music post-launch deserved to have its shitty E3 reputation reversed, but it never happened. It's a real shame.

This thrice. I had more fun with Wii Music than any other music game last year not involving male cheerleaders. Could have used more great instrumental/Nintendo songs.

But I will say it was off the mark in terms of evergreen mass market appeal, because it really requires a hint of natural musical ability to do well with. It was also very poorly portrayed, outside of JC Rodrigo. It doesn't require musical training, but the "ANYONE" crowd can't just jump in. In some ways it's waaay too hardcore.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
I expect several big announcements from Nintendo.

We all know that the main reason Nintendo didn't release anything last year's end is that they were using the same strategy as the DS; i.e. they released shitload of great software during the early life of the console (Galaxy, Prime, Brawl, Zelda, Party, Kart, Fit, Strikers, Truck, Paper Mario, Battalion Wars, Wario Ware, Fire Emblem, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some), and then when they were dominating, third parties would release software and give Nintendo time to make more games.

We also know that third parties lost a BIG opportunity last year (EA releasing RB 2 on the Wii late? that was just plain stupid), opposed to what happened to DS, which has been mainly maintained by third parties (I don't remember the last Nintendo game I played on that console...).

Nintendo tried to solve this by releasing Wii-makes of GCN games, but it was not enough.

First party software takes time to make, and all studios have been working on them, so I really expect a lot of software to be shown at E3, and later at one of those japanese conference things Nintendo does.

There's also all of the trailers that were shown last year and we haven't heard about (remember, now Nintendo will hype games 3 months before release).

Games I expect this E3 from Nintendo:
- Mario Party 9 (I think this is the longest period in which a MP has not been released, I hope Nintendo is treating the game as a big game now, because of sales of MP8).
- Zelda Wii.
- Pikmin 3.
- Wii Sports Resort.
- Sin and Punishment
- 2 more games we may or not have heard about.

And I expect that in October Nintendo will show several new titles from EAD Tokyo, Intelligent Systems, and some crazy stuff.

thefro

AntMurda said:
Unless it's a radically new concept or hardware, it won't be.

Agreed on that, they're going to show something new that's targeted towards the broad market, not just new iterations of the same series.

Azure J

GCX said:
ZeldaBingo.jpg

That Wii Bingo might become handy again soon because of the E3.

Because we never learn.

I say we get to updating this one for their E3 conference with some wild guesses, safe bets, and in the middle options. We have 12 days to kill guys, let's get started!

Pikmin 3 will definately be there. No doubt about it. As for Zelda, I say there's a very good chance, given that TP came out almost three years ago. I'm sure the Zelda team has been working on a new one for quite some time.

AntMurda

Zelda Wii (EAD)
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (EAD)
Pikmin 3 (EAD)
New Wii Casual Game (EAD)
mystery game (RETRO)
mystery game (NST)

Haunted

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Pikmin 3 will definately be there. No doubt about it. As for Zelda, I say there's a very good chance, given that TP came out almost three years ago. I'm sure the Zelda team has been working on a new one for quite some time.
Given that PH's team had a core of around 8-9 people, and I assume that Spirit Tracks would have a similarly sized team, that leaves a hell of a lot people in EAD Group 3 without work. Link's Crossbow Training didn't take too long as well (even with the heated debates between Miyamoto and the devs).

It's safe to assume that a substantial amount of people has been working on the next mainline console Zelda title for quite some time now.

AntMurda said:
Zelda Wii (EAD Group 3)
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (EAD Tokyo)
Pikmin 3 (EAD Group 4)
New Wii Casual Game (EAD Group 2)
mystery game (RETRO)
mystery game (NST)
Would leave Konno's EAD Group 1, whose last game was Mario Kart Wii.

AntMurda

The two EAD Zelda teams have worked independently from each other outside of the production group working on both. But their releases unaffect each other.

Zelda: Wind Waker <----------> Zelda: TP <------------>Link Crossbow <---------> Zelda
Zelda: Four Swords Adventures <---------> Zelda: PH <---------------> Zelda: PS

Why do people believe a sequel to Galaxy for the Wii is in the works? Certainly not from a statement or interview with Miyamoto I hope, who has consistently lied about Mario sequels since the N64 days.

celebi23

Taker666 said:
Marionette? The puppeteering game Miyamoto was working on for the GC. He mentioned in an interview a couple years back that it had been moved to Wii and was still in development.

I'd imagine the MotionPlus could be very useful for that title in regards to simulating the puppet cross bar controls.

Shit, I remember that game. Was supposed to be at E3 2001/2002. It was Nintendo's list of games that were supposed to be demoed but it was a no-show (similar to Metroid Dread's situation). That could be pretty awesome with the Wii controls.

AntMurda

Why do people believe a sequel to Galaxy for the Wii is in the works? Certainly not from a statement or interview with Miyamoto I hope, who has consistently lied about Mario sequels since the N64 days.

Well. I think when we refer to Mario Galaxy 2, we are perfectly fine with a game from the Mario Galaxy team.

GCX

AntMurda said:
The two EAD Zelda teams have worked independently from each other outside of the production group working on both. But their releases unaffect each other.

Zelda: Wind Waker <----------> Zelda: TP <------------>Link Crossbow <---------> Zelda
Zelda: Four Swords Adventures <---------> Zelda: PH <---------------> Zelda: PS
I wouldn't say they work completely independently. Iirc when Twilight Princess was completed part of the team moved to finish Phantom Hourglass and some were even moved to the Wii Fit team.

AntMurda said:
Well. I think when we refer to Mario Galaxy 2, we are perfectly fine with a game from the Mario Galaxy team.
My remark is not so much about the title, but in the credence that another Mario game is actually in the works for the Wii.

AntMurda

I wouldn't say they work completely independently. Iirc when Twilight Princess was completed part of the team moved to finish Phantom Hourglass and some were even moved to the Wii Fit team.

I mentioned the EAD production team. Each EAD group has a specific group of members, and then theres a general EAD production team that works universally assisting the individual members to make games. Both Zelda teams are part of EAD Group No. 3. But on top of that there is a production EAD group.

Pikmin 3 should and probably will be a big part of their core line-up announced at E3. I would LIKE to see another Paper Mario game for Wii that completely makes up for the shitfest that was Super Paper Mario.

Also, Zelda Wii SEEMS to be logical, but who knows if they'll actually talk about it.

AntMurda said:
Hopefully NST and Retro each do some hardcore IP resurrection.

Star Fox and Pilotwings =P

If Nintendo (EAD) doesn't want to work on those IPs anymore themselves then let them die. I think of all of Nintendo's non-Japanese development teams Retro has most earned the right to test the waters with their own IP introduction.

wRATH2x

Banned
If you guys are really expecting new games or megatons you all are really deluding your selves. Most of them will be overdue localizations(Fatal Frame, Disaster, etc.) and WiiWhatever games, and I'm pretty sure Wii Sports Resort will be delayed. They may show Pikmin 3(which was announced earlier) and well I think thats it.

Stop setting your selves up for disappointment, you guys always do this and then talk shit about Nintendo when all you got to blame is your own selves for being hyped. So sto.......Wait expect Zelda, Metroid and Galaxy 2. It has nothing to do with me wanting to see countdowns.

birdchili

the two best first party things nintendo could release this fall would be a new-concept wii ___ game that's actually inspired, and a new-ip long-form ("core") game that would regain them a bit of cred with that audience.

wii fit plus is going to sell gangbusters, but with fit still selling so well would it really drive hardware much? all of these "plus" games seem to target existing wii owners rather than being able to drive hardware.

"new propositions" in Iwata's language seems to mean new-ip. that's the most obvious thing that's gong to substantially change the hardware sales situation.

BikoBiko

They've got a lot of games left to localize from the October conference, i.e. Kensax, Cosmic Walker, Spurn Smasher, Takt of Magic, as well as US versions of Endless Ocean 2 and Another Code: R. A few of these titles combined with two or three blockbusters should be plenty for the coming year.

bottles said:
However, I have low expectations for their E3 press conference. I fully expect them to focus on casual games again. After all, why wouldn’t they?
Because Iwata rather won't want to issue a public apology again?

bottles

If they have Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Zelda, I’m buying a Wii.

However, I have low expectations for their E3 press conference. I fully expect them to focus on casual games again. After all, why wouldn’t they?

AntMurda

Because Wii Music and Animal Crossing bombed.

Top Bottom