• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata: "We are preparing several titles to be launched toward the end of this year"

ksamedi

bottles said:
Wii Music hardly bombed. I don’t know about AC.

They both bombed. Not particularly because of low sales, but in there function as Wii games that should have kept the sales momentum high for Wii. Just like Wii sports, Wii Play , Mario Kart and Wiifit seem to do. They sold millions, but expectations were high and they didn't meet those. .

Shiggy

DeaconKnowledge said:
I'm sorry, but I just don't see Nintendo releasing a DS and Wii Zelda in the same year.

Why not? They did the same during the GameCube/GBA and even the current era. However, Four Swords Adventures and Link's Crossbow Training were spin-offs then...but I could see them releasing a spin-off again.

Besides: If they announce Zelda Wii at E3, it will most likely not come out this year in the first place. Spirit Tracks will likely be the DSi's big title this year.

Shiggy said:
Why not? They did the same during the GameCube/GBA and even the current era. However, Four Swords Adventures and Link's Crossbow Training were spin-offs then...but I could see them releasing a spin-off again.

People aren't talking about Spin-offs They're talking about a mainline Wii Zelda launching the same year as a mainline DS Zelda. That's incredulous at best.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Shiggy said:
A spin-off made by Retro perhaps?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
AniHawk said:
We got one last year.
Mario Kart DS came out in 2005.

BrandNew said:
JKSDFHH NOO

People need to STOP SAYING THAT. Let Retro work on something themselves, leave Zelda to Japan.
It's not like I'm the one making decisions here ;P

Synless

BrandNew said:
I quite liked Mario Kart Wii to be honest...
It did alot of things right, but I feel it took a few steps back. Not to mention that horrible music. They need to fire that composer....or enlighten him on how to make a good soundtrack for this particular game. Some of the items are pretty lame too.

Akai

BrandNew said:
JKSDFHH NOO

People need to STOP SAYING THAT. Let Retro work on something themselves, leave Zelda to Japan.

I think the better question is to ask, "If Retro was offered a chance to work on a Zelda game, would they really turn it down?"

The answer to that is probably "No"...

Theoretically speaking, of course... =)

Why the fuck would they ask Retro to work on a Zelda game? It's not the case of Metroid where Nintendo had no idea how to make a 3D iteration of it until they fished around their options during the GCN era. Zelda is and has been for a long time, at home with its development team.

My E3 prediction:

Adventure game from Retro.
1080/Wave Race from NST.
Pikmin 3
Sin and Punishment 2
Localization for Another Code: R, Dynamic Slash, Cosmic Walker.

Linkified

Right so several games that will drive the market? Hmmm, I guess thats the Wii____ games. So I'm guessing Wii MotorSports and Wii Fit Plus. :lol

GCX

Linkified said:
Right so several games that will drive the market? Hmmm, I guess thats the Wii____ games. So I'm guessing Wii MotorSports and Wii Fit Plus. :lol
Wii Motorsports would actually be a great announcement.

But I quess that project was halted a long long time ago..

Cygnus X-1

Oh boys...keep your dreams at a reasonable level.

Otherwise:

disappointment.jpg

Vinci

Danish
bottles said:
If they have Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Zelda, I’m buying a Wii.

Is there some issue with the current Galaxy and Zelda games present on the system? Why would a sequel to franchises already available make you buy a Wii?

However, I have low expectations for their E3 press conference. I fully expect them to focus on casual games again. After all, why wouldn’t they?

Because they've pretty much got that crowd wrapped around their little finger? It should be upstream time.

bottles

ksamedi said:
They both bombed. Not particularly because of low sales, but in there function as Wii games that should have kept the sales momentum high for Wii. Just like Wii sports, Wii Play , Mario Kart and Wiifit seem to do. They sold millions, but expectations were high and they didn't meet those. .

Yes, I know Wii Music was a disappointment in every way, but it didn’t bomb. However, its disappointing sales are all the more reason for Nintendo to focus on quality casual games at E3 so as not to lose momentum.

Because they've pretty much got that crowd wrapped around their little finger? It should be upstream time.

I don’t think soccer moms are gonna go from Wii Fit to Zelda in the span of a year.

Johann

BrandNew said:
Why the fuck would they ask Retro to work on a Zelda game? It's not the case of Metroid where Nintendo had no idea how to make a 3D iteration of it until they fished around their options during the GCN era. Zelda is and has been for a long time, at home with its development team.

For that matter, Nintendo had no idea how to a make 2D Metroid. Some rookie American team managed to make a more faithful Metroid game in 3D than what Nintendo's oldest development team could create in 2D.

I don't know about a main installment of Zelda but Retro would work wonders on a spinoff.

Linkified

GCX said:

Looked from that 10 second footage from either e3 2006 or one of Nintendo Japan conferences looked alot like PilotWings.

Vinci

Danish
ksamedi said:

I'm sorry, did the Wii suddenly stop breaking sales records in countries not called Japan? I don't see how the Wii's sales have declined altogether much, particularly considering how quiet Nintendo has been as of late.

Yes, those games didn't have the appeal of Wii Fit and Mario Kart, but lets be honest here: Those are exceptions, even for Nintendo, rather than the norm. Mario Kart has outsold GTA, ffs, and its sales are dwarfed by Wii Fit's. Considering they just owned the sequel to the best-selling 3rd party franchise of last gen with more than a single title, I don't think Wii Music and Animal Crossing's relative failures are too surprising.

bottles said:
I don’t think soccer moms are gonna go from Wii Fit to Zelda in the span of a year.

Where did I mention Zelda?

Linkified

BrandNew said:

Didn't, I'm going to butcher the spelling of the prodcuer's name, Eji Anouma say that they had to refocus Zelda as it had gotten stale with the same puzzles the same pattern in the game as well?

AntMurda

Wii Motorsports was supposed to include games like airplance and water jet-skii. But the demo last year of wii sports resort showed that waverace mii game on it instead.

So who knows :(

Johann said:
For that matter, Nintendo had no idea how to a make 2D Metroid. Some rookie American team managed to make a more faithful Metroid game in 3D than what Nintendo's oldest development team could create in 2D.

I don't know about a main installment of Zelda but Retro would work wonders on a spinoff.

Fusion and Zero Mission were incredible. :-|

2nd take. I'm curious. Can someone answer me please?

Take place? Or when?

It's on June 2nd at 9 am Pacific time. Probably in the Kodak theater I'm gonna guess.

Vinci

Danish
AntMurda said:
Wii Motorsports was supposed to include games like airplance and water jet-skii. But the demo last year of wii sports resort showed that waverace mii game on it instead.

So who knows :(

Hasn't it been likely merged into Wii Sports Resort in some fashion? Then again, that might just be me setting myself up for massive disappointment.

Vinci

Danish
dwin45 said:
BREAKING NEWS: Game company will eventually release games.

Hey! It's a shock to some of us!

Not me, particularly, but there are a few on this board who seem to really think they won't.

Vinci said:
Hasn't it been likely merged into Wii Sports Resort in some fashion? Then again, that might just be me setting myself up for massive disappointment.

It's looking like Wii Sports has been merged into Wii Sports Resort. I doubt there's room for anything else : /

bottles

Vinci said:
Where did I mention Zelda?

You’re saying that it should be “upstream time” for Nintendo because they’ve already drawn in the casual crowd. Surely you are not implying that Nintendo should shift its focus from casual to core games? The casual gaming crowd is not going to be buying core games anytime soon.

Cygnus X-1

BrandNew said:
It's on June 2nd at 9 am Pacific time. Probably in the Kodak theater I'm gonna guess.

Actually, it was: "where is the world will be this conference?"

Anyway: the Kodak Theater. Sure? Oh, you already answered me.

Vinci

Danish
bottles said:
You’re saying that it should be “upstream time” for Nintendo because they’ve already drawn in the casual crowd. Surely you are not implying that Nintendo should shift its focus from casual to core games? The casual gaming crowd is not going to be buying core games anytime soon.

You're suggesting that they're not going to focus on getting core games on the system now? Don't get me wrong, the casual games will be there - but I doubt we'll see something outside of Wii Fit Plus, WSR, and maybe one other title. The rest will be core.

AniHawk

bottles said:

They sure jumped on Mario Kart Wii and NEW Super Mario Bros. something fierce. But of course, the point isn't only to get casuals into more core games, but to do stuff that appeals to everybody.

I don't see why it shouldn't be "upstream time" Nintendo clearly isn't going to abandon "casual" titles, and it's stupid to assume so, however they have that market pretty much sewn up. Why are we to assume they won't try to attain the market they don't have a lock on?

Top Bottom