• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata: "We are preparing several titles to be launched toward the end of this year"

GCX

Cygnus X-1 said:
Actually, it was: "where is the world will be this conference?"

Anyway: the Kodak Theater. Sure? Oh, you already answered me.
It's actually not in Kodak Theater this year. Or that's at least what that one Nintendo blog said when they got their invitations.

Johann

BrandNew said:
Fusion and Zero Mission were incredible. :-|

Fusion had a great atmosphere for a GBA game but it was designed towards the typical GBA owner. It was much more linear with a heavier emphasis towards action rather than exploration and puzzle solving. It also repeated some the contrived gameplay in Metroid 2, such as having new areas open up due to story progression/magic space earthquakes rather than the player experimenting with their new found abilities in previously explored areas.

Zero Mission seemed like an apology to fans (accepted). However, it seems like they've hit a creative cul-de-sac if they are making the default ledge grab ability in Fusion into a powerup.

bottles

AniHawk said:
They sure jumped on Mario Kart Wii and NEW Super Mario Bros. something fierce. But of course, the point isn't only to get casuals into more core games, but to do stuff that appeals to everybody.

Bad examples. New Super Mario Bros. is classic Mario, which everybody loves. Mario Kart Wii is somewhat of a core title at heart, but has lots of casual appeal.

And, really, Nintendo have always tried to make games that appeal to everybody, but I know too many casual gamers who don’t like Super Mario Galaxy because playing with both the remote and the nunchuck is ‘too difficult’.

You're suggesting that they're not going to focus on getting core games on the system now? Don't get me wrong, the casual games will be there - but I doubt we'll see something outside of Wii Fit Plus, WSR, and maybe one other title. The rest will be core.

Of course there are more core games in the pipeline since third party publishers are finally starting to take the platform seriously and EAD and Retro have had several years since the release of their last blockbusters – Super Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3 – to work on new games. However, I don’t think Nintendo will focus on core games at its E3 press conference, simply because – and this is something Reggie talked about last year or the year before – E3 is really the only videogame event that attracts non-gaming media in such large numbers, so in Nintendo’s eyes it would be a ‘waste’ to please hardcore fans with a host of core titles when they could be making headlines with the next big thing in casual gaming for Wii. Again, I’m not saying they won’t show any core titles – I just don’t think it’s going to be the main focus of their press conference.

I’d love to be wrong, though.

farnham

Banned
Operations said:
Nintendo's own standards? I believe both Iwata and Miyamoto admitted that much.
uh... they maybe said that it underperformed compared to their expectations

but how is a 2 to 3 million seller that will likely sell to the end of this generation a failure..?

there is a fine line between underperformed and failure..

Vinci

Danish
bottles said:
Again, I’m not saying they won’t show any core titles – I just don’t think it’s going to be the main focus of their press conference.

I’d love to be wrong, though.

Unless they've something brand new directed for the casual market, they won't have much to show really. Wii Fit Plus, perhaps, but I cannot see them dedicating an entire show to it unless its an extensive revision. WSR was shown last year, though not in its entirety.

Outside of WSR, there is little reason to be excited for the Motion + - and I think Nintendo understands that. If they want the peripheral to really take off, they need the gamers first. We're the early adopters of tech. WSR will do its part in bringing the casuals, but they need a killer app for the thing more directed towards gamers to grab that part of the market at the same time.

The only people who give a shit about what they show at the press conference are the console warriors that love to exclaim who "won" e3. As long as I get games that are interesting Reggie could break wind for an hour on stage for all I care.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
farnham said:
uh... they maybe said that it underperformed compared to their expectations

but how is a 2 to 3 million seller that will likely sell to the end of this generation a failure..?

there is a fine line between underperformed and failure..
Because the game came out in October and already stopped selling, when it was supposed to be a big mover like Mario Kart DS and Wii Play.

AntMurda

I don’t think Nintendo will focus on core games at its E3 press conference, simply because – and this is something Reggie talked about last year or the year before – E3 is really the only videogame event that attracts non-gaming media in such large numbers, so in Nintendo’s eyes it would be a ‘waste’ to please hardcore fans with a host of core titles when they could be making headlines with the next big thing in casual gaming for Wii. Again, I’m not saying they won’t show any core titles – I just don’t think it’s going to be the main focus of their press conference.

Well keep in mind. Mario and Zelda are enormous intellectual properties that transcend beyond just the core gaming group. You are talking about properties that essentually have had installments sell over 10 million world wide. I mean we aren't talking about Sin and Punishment 2 and Excitebots.

It is absolutely important for Nintendo to convey a message to the media and consumer that it isn't one-dimensional. It is perfectly feasible for Nintendo to highlight a new casual product while still premiering some great core games.

Vinci

Danish
DeaconKnowledge said:
The only people who give a shit about what they show at the press conference are the console warriors that love to exclaim who "won" e3. As long as I get games that are interesting Reggie could break wind for an hour on stage for all I care.

Agreed. I'll buy anything that looks good. And when I can afford it. =(

Drkirby said:
Because the game came out in October and already stopped selling, when it was supposed to be a big mover like Mario Kart DS and Wii Play.

I doubt it has stopped selling entirely.

And nothing was meant to be a big mover like Wii Play, don't exaggerate.

AniHawk

bottles said:
Bad examples. New Super Mario Bros. is classic Mario, which everybody loves. Mario Kart Wii is somewhat of a core title at heart, but has lots of casual appeal. Nintendo have always made games for everybody.

Bad examples? Really? Because NSMB has sold more copies than Super Mario Bros. 3 and Mario Kart Wii has sold 15 million copies in a single year, while the previous game with so much "casual appeal" sold 6 million copies over the span of three years. Actually, I'd say that they're examples of this sort of thing done right. But if you're going to start making excuses for why they don't count, I guess that's fine too.

bottles

Vinci said:
Unless they've something brand new directed for the casual market, they won't have much to show really. Wii Fit Plus, perhaps, but I cannot see them dedicating an entire show to it unless its an extensive revision. WSR was shown last year, though not in its entirety.

Outside of WSR, there is little reason to be excited for the Motion + - and I think Nintendo understands that. If they want the peripheral to really take off, they need the gamers first. We're the early adopters of tech. WSR will do its part in bringing the casuals, but they need a killer app for the thing more directed towards gamers to grab that part of the market at the same time.

What makes you think they don’t have a big new casual title under wraps?

AniHawk said:
Bad examples? Really?

Bad examples of core games, yes.

Because NSMB has sold more copies than Super Mario Bros. 3 and Mario Kart Wii has sold 15 million copies in a single year, while the previous game with so much "casual appeal" sold 6 million copies over the span of three years. Actually, I'd say that they're examples of this sort of thing done right. But if you're going to start making excuses for why they don't count, I guess that's fine too.

:lol

The previous two Mario Kart games were released on an unsuccesful platform and a handheld, while Mario Kart Wii, bundled with a plastic steering wheel, came out for the fastest-selling, most casually oriented platform of all time which sits in 50 million living rooms.

bottles said:
However, I don’t think Nintendo will focus on core games at its E3 press conference, simply because – and this is something Reggie talked about last year or the year before – E3 is really the only videogame event that attracts non-gaming media in such large numbers, so in Nintendo’s eyes it would be a ‘waste’ to please hardcore fans with a host of core titles when they could be making headlines with the next big thing in casual gaming for Wii. Again, I’m not saying they won’t show any core titles – I just don’t think it’s going to be the main focus of their press conference.

I think you're right on the money with this assessment. Nintendo will mostly focus on expanded audience titles for the BIG press conference. That said however I think Nintendo will hold more mini-showings this E3 for individual games than they have in the past. This is where the core titles will be spotlighted.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Vinci said:

That's what Wii Fit Plus is for. [/tongue in cheek post]

AntMurda

I think you're right on the money with this assessment. Nintendo will mostly focus on expanded audience titles for the BIG press conference. That said however I think Nintendo will hold more mini-showings this E3 for individual games than they have in the past. This is where the core titles will be spotlighted.

I mean it's an assessment that Nintendo will repeat the exact same thing they did last year. And what did that strategy do exactly for Wii Music and Animal Crossing? Both undersold big time.

I think Nintendo is beginning to understand that the console casual market has a saturation point. You think grandma and grandpa are going to own 20 casual games? How many games does your mom need on the Wii? The truth is they aren't going to keep buying. Wii Sports came with the system. WiiPlay came with a controller and marketed itself to be sold alongside the system. Wii Fit is marketed software.

There is a saturation point to this userbase.

The hardcore market has an unsatiable saturation point.

bottles said:

If your "core title" definition is as rigid as it appears to be, there are only three internally developed Nintendo titles that come even close to fitting the bill - Advance Wars, Fire Emblem, and Zelda.

bottles said:

I challenge you to give me an acceptable definition of "core" games, any acceptable definition, that doesn't include NSMB but includes, say, Super Mario Sunshine or the original Jak. And after giving that definition, take care to only use "core" in that sense.

bottles

AntMurda said:
I mean it's an assessment that Nintendo will repeat the exact same thing they did last year. And what did that strategy do exactly for Wii Music and Animal Crossing? Both undersold big time.

I think Nintendo is beginning to understand that the console casual market has a saturation point. You think grandma and grandpa are going to own 20 casual games? How many games does your mom need on the Wii? The truth is they aren't going to keep buying. Wii Sports came with the system. WiiPlay came with a controller and marketed itself to be sold alongside the system. Wii Fit is marketed software.

The problem is, you can’t just turn casual gamers into core gamers with the press of a button. Nintendo isn’t just going to give up on soccer moms and grandparents – they’re going to keep trying new things for that crowd.

Vinci

Danish
bottles said:
What makes you think they don’t have a big new casual title under wraps?

If they did, they wouldn't be bringing out WSR and Wii Fit Plus. Miyamoto originally had, what, three or four different ideas for disruptive products - and all of those have come out now. If they bring out another big disruptive product, it will be later when they've had time to figure out what it should be and tested it properly. They're not easy to make. Wii Music should illustrate that pretty well.

NSMB and Mario Kart aren't 'core games'? Are you serious? Goalposts, they be moving. And I'm sure you'll mention how they're slightly casualized, but ... so the fuck what? They're still traditional games; they're not like Wii Fit. The fact that everybody loves Mario sure as hell didn't prompt the adoption of some of the other games. Yes, the DS is wildly popular but NSMB was one of the big movers for the system; it wasn't simply propped up by the DS's huge success, it helped promote it.

The previous Mario Kart games were released for an unsuccesful platform and a handheld, while Mario Kart Wii, bundled with a plastic steering wheel, came out for the fastest-selling, most casually oriented platform of all time which sits in 50 million living rooms.

Then explain away the Super NES version. Again: Mario Kart Wii is doing as much to promote the Wii's success as the Wii is promoting its.

bottles said:
The problem is, you can’t just turn casual gamers into core gamers with the press of a button. Nintendo isn’t just going to give up on soccer moms and grandparents – they’re going to keep trying new things for that crowd.

Best upstreaming product of all time, IMO, was WoW. Does WoW continue to retain its customers by keeping them doing the same things in the early part of the game, or does it move them towards more complex behaviors and conditions? Right, the latter. Why would Nintendo continue to release the same sort of games when that won't retain them customers, it'll only be beating a dead horse.

thefro

Besides the "Brain Training/Wii Fit" types of games, I'd look for Nintendo EAD to focus on making new projects that can be played with 2-3 buttons + waggle or the analog stick, but with superb gameplay depth.

Basically they need to make stuff that people would play if it was set up in an arcade machine in a bar. The games need to have that arcade gameplay, but enough depth to appease the core audience as well. Punch-Out! is actually a great example.

Nintendo's ultimate goal here is to make all these "expanded audience" gamers into core gamers, don't forget.

andthebeatgoeson

bottles said:
I don’t think soccer moms are gonna go from Wii Fit to Zelda in the span of a year.
I agree. The upstream title is Mario Kart Wii. Not Zelda. Mom isn't getting that far upstream. Maybe the casual kiddies. My sister is a perfect example. Used to play games some when we were younger. Then moved onto a GBA and fell in love with Zelda. Played that a bit and bought some Zelda games on that. I think she lapsed. Some gamers, you won't get into hardcore games in large numbers (moms). Others, you'll be happy if they can just pick up a few games that have good quality. I think Nintendo is happy to attract casual gamers and move more people into the fold. They have options for someone who will buy one game this gen, 5 games and 50. Well, maybe not 50.

Vinci

Danish
skinnyrattler said:
I agree. The upstream title is Mario Kart Wii. Not Zelda. Mom isn't getting that far upstream. Maybe the casual kiddies. My sister is a perfect example. Used to play games some when we were younger. Then moved onto a GBA and fell in love with Zelda. Played that a bit and bought some Zelda games on that. I think she lapsed. Some gamers, you won't get into hardcore games in large numbers (moms). Others, you'll be happy if they can just pick up a few games that have good quality. I think Nintendo is happy to attract casual gamers and move more people into the fold. They have options for someone who will buy one game this gen, 5 games and 50. Well, maybe not 50.

That greatly depends on what Zelda for the Wii looks like.

AniHawk

bottles said:
The previous Mario Kart games were released for an unsuccesful platform and a handheld, while Mario Kart Wii, bundled with a plastic steering wheel, came out for the fastest-selling, most casually oriented platform of all time which sits in 50 million living rooms.

So you're saying that because of the casual market, a traditional title in a series nearly 20 years old became the best-selling game in the series. I'm glad we agree. You can see why Nintendo would want to find some common ground, then.

Back to E3, last year was a disaster, even among the mainstream press. They were not impressed with Wii Music and the lack of anything worthwhile. The strategy Nintendo used for the previous two years fell flat. They won't repeat the same mistakes.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
AntMurda said:

14jyp7s.png

bottles

Vinci said:
NSMB and Mario Kart aren't 'core games'? Are you serious? Goalposts, they be moving. And I'm sure you'll mention how they're slightly casualized, but ... so the fuck what? They're still traditional games; they're not like Wii Fit. The fact that everybody loves Mario sure as hell didn't prompt the adoption of some of the other games. Yes, the DS is wildly popular but NSMB was one of the big movers for the system; it wasn't simply propped up by the DS's huge success, it helped promote it.

NSMB is not a core title because it looks like the classic Super Mario Bros., which has massive casual appeal, and is easy to pick up and play. Super Mario Galaxy, for example, also has casual appeal, but it is too sophisticated for many casual gamers and therefore I would label it as a core game. My point here is that the leap from Brain Training/Wario Ware/Nintendogs to NSMB is not as big as the leap from Wii Fit to Metroid Prime 3 or Twilight Princess.

Then explain away the Super NES version.

I think I already did by saying why the Wii version is so popular.

Best upstreaming product of all time, IMO, was WoW. Does WoW continue to retain its customers by keeping them doing the same things in the early part of the game, or does it move them towards more complex behaviors and conditions? Right, the latter. Why would Nintendo continue to release the same sort of games when that won't retain them customers, it'll only be beating a dead horse.

Oh, come on. That process took place within the same game, which was already hardcore to begin with.

It’s always been Nintendo’s plan to eventually upstream casual gamers, but they’re not going to buying the Metroids and Zeldas of this world anytime soon. That’s too big a leap. Nintendo is still going to need games that are specifically catered to casual gamers.

AntMurda said:
I think Nintendo is beginning to understand that the console casual market has a saturation point.

It does for market segments that have already been targeted. However that saturation point does not apply to markets that have yet to be sufficiently breached. A big example is the early tween to teenage girl market. I don't think that Nintendo has reached the limit to its expanded audience strategy, and I don't think they believe that either.

The hardcore market has an insatiable saturation point.

Yes it does, but it is also the most competitive market in the industry with the highest chance of failure. Nintendo can't take MS and Sony head on in this market, they will attack the peripheral edges (to keep their fanbase happy) but they won't focus on it. The only way Nintendo will capture a significant core audience with the Wii is if 3rd parties decide to create that market. Simply put I don't see that happening anytime soon.

AntMurda

It’s always been Nintendo’s plan to eventually upstream casual gamers, but they’re not going to buying the Metroids and Zeldas of this world anytime soon. That’s too big a leap. Nintendo is still going to need games that are specifically catered to casual gamers

Why do they have to upstream when there is a large userbase of hardcore gamers not buying games. It will take EONS for your mom to be able to play Super Mario Galaxy.

bottles said:
NSMB is not a core title because it looks like the classic Super Mario Bros., which has massive casual appeal, and is easy to pick up and play. Super Mario Galaxy, for example, also has casual appeal, but it is too sophisticated for many casual gamers and therefore I would label it as a core game. My point here is that the leap from Brain Training/Wario Ware/Nintendogs to NSMB is not as big as the leap from Wii Fit to Metroid Prime 3 or Twilight Princess.

"Not as big" in what terms? I could just as easily state that "the leap from BT to NSMB is much bigger than from NSMB to TP" and it would be exactly as meaningless as what you said, as it all depends on your subjective judgement. Give your definition of "core" and don't just declare something a "casual" or a "core" completely arbitrarily. Also, it's not that I disagree with your definition, whatever it is, but I think it's just not consistent and you're just declaring stuff "core" completely randomly.

bottles

AniHawk said:
So you're saying that because of the casual market, a traditional title in a series nearly 20 years old became the best-selling game in the series. I'm glad we agree. You can see why Nintendo would want to find some common ground, then.

It’s a traditional Mario Kart with extra casual appeal because it has Wii controls. But yeah, that’s what I’m saying, and it proves that Mario Kart Wii is a bad example of a core game.

Back to E3, last year was a disaster, even among the mainstream press. They were not impressed with Wii Music and the lack of anything worthwhile. The strategy Nintendo used for the previous two years fell flat. They won't repeat the same mistakes.

E3 2008 was their only lacklustre E3 in recent years in terms of mainstream media coverage.

bottles

AntMurda said:
Why do they have to upstream when there is a large userbase of hardcore gamers not buying games. It will take EONS for your mom to be able to play Super Mario Galaxy.

It’s Nintendo’s grand design, not mine.

bottles said:
I don’t think soccer moms are gonna go from Wii Fit to Zelda in the span of a year.

Not necessarily. Here has been the upstreaming process for my younger sister and my older brother, the former a non-gamer and the latter a lapsed-gamer since the SNES. I know you were talking about "soccer moms," but still:

Sarah:

Nintendogs -> Flash Focus: Vision Training -> Animal Crossing: Wild World -> Super Princess Peach -> The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass

Antonio:

Brain Age 2 -> Bird and Beans -> Paper Airplane Chase -> PiCTOBiTS -> The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (he started it last night)

I haven't read all of this thread of, yet. Some interesting replies so far. Surprised to see so many talking about disruptive innovation concepts. Cool. :D.

Like this:

bottles said:
It’s Nintendo’s grand design, not mine.

I'm impressed.

Top Bottom