• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan lines up for Black DSL. x one-hundred billion (sold out)

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Pureauthor said:
Several of them are playing systems with clamshell designs. Either the SP or a DS.
Mostly GBA or phat DS from what I can see. I can't tell too well from the side pictures. There are certainly people with PSPs as well.

Barf_the_Mog

powerless or are they? o_O
Pureauthor said:
10 years from now, when the next batch of books that talk about video game history are released, the DS is going to go down as one of the single biggest videogaming successes of all time.

Except for North America and Europe, where it is neck and neck with the PSP and far behind what the GBA was at this point.

For reference, the GBA was 8 million units ahead of the DS in sales at this point in America. This totally negates Japanese gains.

http://www.vgcharts.org/usaconscomps.php?name1=DS&name2=GBA&type=0

Geek

Ninny Prancer
speedpop said:
:lol

Sony right now...

helloux1.jpg

THERE... ARE... FOUR... DS LITES!!!

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Barf_the_Mog said:
Except for North America and Europe, where it is neck and neck with the PSP and far behind what the GBA was at this point.

I don't think it's anything close to neck and neck in Europe anymore. I think they selling 140 000 per month in europe now or something (anyway correct/confirm that?)

Barf_the_Mog said:

Isn't the tide in Europe starting to change?

America... it'll probably be won over with Pokemon D/P.

Barf_the_Mog

Read my edit. It'll take a long time to catch up to the GBA.

EDIT:

AND in America the GBA was selling half a million units per month in the summer time. It was the same success that the DS is in Japan. In fact, by looking at the VGCharts stats, the gap will continue to widen for the next few months. (unless the DS has sold over 800,000 units in August)

Edit 2:

GBA
Nov 03 1,364,500 19,631,000
GBA
Dec 03 2,593,500 22,224,500

Never going to pass the GBA......never.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
catfish said:
I don't think it's anything close to neck and neck in Europe anymore. I think they selling 140 000 per week in europe now or something (anyway correct/confirm that?)
Corrected.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Barf_the_Mog said:

For reference, the GBA was 8 million units ahead of the DS in sales at this point in America. This totally negates Japanese gains.

http://www.vgcharts.org/usaconscomps.php?name1=DS&name2=GBA&type=0

The thing is, the GBA is still doing pretty well in the US, although the DS has gained a lot of momentum after the DSlite launch. All Nintendo has to do is drop the price by $30 sometime next year and the GBA audience will move right on over. Pokemon helps a lot with that.

The DS will catch up to the GBA. There's very little doubt of that.

Barf_the_Mog said:
Read my edit. It'll take a long time to catch up to the GBA.

EDIT:

AND in America the GBA was selling half a million units per month in the summer time. It was the same success that the DS is in Japan. In fact, by looking at the VGCharts stats, the gap will continue to widen for the next few months. (unless the DS has sold over 800,000 units in August)

Edit 2:

GBA
Nov 03 1,364,500 19,631,000
GBA
Dec 03 2,593,500 22,224,500

Never going to pass the GBA......never.

Never going to pass the GBA in NA, yeah most likely. But as it seems DS will easily outsell GBA in the other two territories.

Thomper

catfish said:
I don't think it's anything close to neck and neck in Europe anymore. I think they selling 140 000 per month in europe now or something (anyway correct/confirm that?)
140.000 per week yes. And if we take the monthly NPD numbers it's about 120.000 per week for the USA aswell. Every month I enter a Dutch store where they sell games, and they're all gradually moving the DS more and more forward. It's a gradual process, but more and more do I see DS' and demopods and stacks of games getting loads of attention.

Geek said:
THERE... ARE... FOUR... DS LITES!!!

Yikes! Living up to your name, :lol .

I've never said this before, but I just have to say it.

The best thing about this is remembering all the jackasses who said that Sony would crush the DS... that the handheld market would reach new heights because of Sony's involvement. I'm just hoping that they can do the same with the Wii.

donny2112

Barf_the_Mog said:
Except for North America and Europe, where it is neck and neck with the PSP...

From what I recall ...

U.S.:
NDS - 5.6
PSP - 4.9

Europe
NDS - 5.5
PSP - 4.0 (or 4.5?)

And the lead is growing. Don't use VGCharts.org for hardware sell-through as it uses shipped numbers and not sold.

Jiggy

Barf_the_Mog said:
Except for North America and Europe, where it is neck and neck with the PSP
DS Lite has only been out for three months, and of those we only have two months of sales data. Saying it's neck and neck isn't quite accurate, since the gap is growing.

The best thing about this is remembering all the jackasses who said that Sony would crush the DS... that the handheld market would reach new heights because of Sony's involvement. I'm just hoping that they can do the same with the Wii.

Does the hardon for DS sales numbers come from Sony doing so poorly or Nintendo doing so well? Just curious.

I sure hope the Wii does the same thing too....lets take a collective giant step backwards in game develpment...it will be good for the industry, promise.

BorkBork

Arde0 said:
Does the hardon for DS sales numbers come from Sony doing so poorly or Nintendo doing so well? Just curious.

The hardon is for something to come in and completely rejuvenate what was a declining market in Japan.
I sure hope the Wii does the same thing too....lets take a collective giant step backwards in game develpment...it will be good for the industry, promise.

Oh boy... care to clarify that statement?

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
Arde0 said:

Bitter much?

ZeoVGM

Banned
Arde0 said:

i was trying to think of something witty, but i feel kind of bad for you so i wont.

Meier

Sgt. Killjoy said:
omg i really do think they are all playing DSL. All their heads are looking towards the ground.

Looks like a number of them are reading manga/etc. to me rather than playing a video game.

Arde0 said:

Sony is not doing poorly. It's got millions of PSPs sold around the world. It's just that the DS is not the big **** up that people *cough*Sony fans*cough* expected it to be.

And there is not doubt that the PS3 will be as successful as the PS and PS2. Look at the games! I just hope Nintendo can pull off the same kind of success with the Wii.

jarrod

Banned
DS is spanking what GBA managed over Europe, in some markets (France notably, Spain too) it's almost reminiscent of the early Japanese rise last year. DS is also the first Nintendo platform ever to lead a competitive marketplace in the UK, which has always been their proportionately weakest market. It's well over a million units ahead of PSP for the region (likely closing in on 2 million by now), and Europe's traditonally been PlayStation's strongest marketplace.

The only market where DS trails GBA is the US and that finally starting to turn around. Worldwide though, DS is almost certainly going beat GBA's total lifetime sales. It's going to be creeping up on GBC's ltd (49m) by this time next year probably imo.

Jibber Hack said:
Sony is not doing poorly. It's got millions of PSPs sold around the world. It's just that the DS is not the big **** up that people *cough*Sony fans*cough* expected it to be.

And there is not doubt that the PS3 will be as successful as the PS and PS2. Look at the games! I just hope Nintendo can pull off the same kind of success with the Wii.

Thank you for clarifying your statement for me. I am not one of the Sony fans who said that shit about the DS....I actually drove 50 miles to get one at launch...I also hope the Wii does well...will buy one at launch as well....I just happen to like both companies and do not like coming into thread where people seem to enjoy rubbing other fans noses in shit more than celebrating the success of their own system.

Barf_the_Mog

jarrod said:
The only market where DS trails GBA is the US and that finally starting to turn around. Worldwide though, DS is almost certainly going beat GBA's total lifetime sales. It's going to be creeping up on GBC's ltd (49m) by this time next year probably imo.

It's starting to turn around? By the end of its second full year, the GBA had sold over 22 million units in the America. The DS will be lucky to make 10 million. The GBA will probably stall at around 40 million in the US...can the DS sell 30 million units with PSP competition in just a few years?

BorkBork

Jibber Hack said:
You guys are horrible! :lol

Okay, I'll say that PS3 won't be the big **** up that so many expect it to be... It'll still be successful.

Of course it will be, but it won't be PS1 and PS2 successful.

can the DS sell 30 million units with PSP competition in just a few years?

Sure it can. Somewhat different demographic and much larger installed base as a solid handheld game maker. I dont know about the EU but America seems to be the only place where the PSP is competition to the DS...and as has been posted, the GBA is probably more competition that PSP is.

Barf_the_Mog said:
It's starting to turn around? By the end of its second full year, the GBA had sold over 22 million units in the America. The DS will be lucky to make 10 million. The GBA will probably stall at around 40 million in the US...can the DS sell 30 million units with PSP competition in just a few years?

GBA is at about 33m in the USA. It's basically impossible for it to come even close to 40m.

Barf_the_Mog

Frankfurter said:
GBA is at about 33m in the USA. It's basically impossible for it to come even close to 40m.

The link I posted above states that close to 37 million GBA units have been sold. I imagine that the GBA will continue to sell throughout 2007, so 40 million is probably conservative.

cvxfreak

Barf_the_Mog said:
The link I posted above states that close to 37 million GBA units have been sold. I imagine that the GBA will continue to sell throughout 2007, so 40 million is probably conservative.

I imagine 37 Million includes Canada and Mexico as well.

jarrod

Banned
Barf_the_Mog said:
Well, the turnaround just started with Lite/NSMB. The inevitable $99 price drop and Pokemon DP are what will be the real sales drivers though, that marks the entry point for the massive kids GBA audience to upgrade.

Also, Nintendo's only shipping 2.5m more GBAs to America this year iirc. The North American install base isn't going to rise much higher than where it is now, while DS is going to expand dramatically. It may never catch GBA, but it'll come close and the massive growth in other markets practically ensures a higher lifetime total... probably between 80-90 million when all's said and done.

PSP doesn't seem to have much effect on DS in any marketplace though, and GBA's been the only real roadblock in America (it's single lagging market). PSP's lifetime sales potential looks a little grimmer but not bad at all really... probably just above N64 levels (40-50m).

Barf_the_Mog said:

The link you posted is either not only using sales from the USA (like cvxfreak said), is using false data or just adds somekind of percentage to the NPD figures (which afaik is the case). And just btw. if the latter is the case, then I just have to say that this method is certainly wrong, unless someone can explain how Nintendo sold through 5,959,500 DS in the USA till the end of June, but only shipped 5.90m to NA till the end of June.

Frankfurter said:
The link you posted is either not only using sales from the USA (like cvxfreak said), is using false data or just adds somekind of percentage to the NPD figures (which afaik is the case). And just btw. if the latter is the case, then I just have to say that this method is certainly wrong, unless someone can explain how Nintendo sold through 5,959,500 DS in the USA till the end of June, but only shipped 5.90m to NA till the end of June.

It's teh ioi-effect!!!

Top Bottom