• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Probably Doesn't Keep This Defunct Train Station Running for Just One Passenger

Status
Not open for further replies.
EDIT: http://www.straitstimes.com/asia/ea...ays-open-for-one-high-school-girl-perhaps-not

Many expressed their admiration for Japan Railways in the comments thread following the post.

However, the situation may have been romanticised.

A Taiwan Apple Daily report said that the girl featured in the story does take the train every day, but the year-three student takes it from Kyu-Shirataki Station, instead of the Kami-Shirataki Station, along with more than 10 schoolmates at 7.15am. That is the only train in the morning.

On their way home, they have a choice of three trains, with one as late as 7.25pm.

Apple Daily also confirmed that Japan Railways, as part of an effort to rationalise its operations, will close three underused stations - Kami-Shirataki, Kyu-Shirataki and Shimo-Shirataki stations by March 2016.

But this may not have anything to do with the schoolgirl's graduation.

It is not clear how the story started, but nostalgia for Japan's vanishing rural villages and the heartwarming details, which many say are akin to a Hayao Miyazaki film, probably helped it spread online.

-----------------------------

How cool (and inefficient) is that?

For years, there’s only been one passenger waiting at the Kami-Shirataki train station in the northernmost island of Hokkaido, Japan: A high-school girl, on her way to class. The train stops there only twice a day—once to pick up the girl and again to drop her off after the school day is over.

It sounds like a Hayao Miyazaki film. But according to CCTV News, it was a decision that Japan Railways—the group that operates the country’s railway network—made more than three years ago.

At that time, ridership at the Kami-Shirataki station had dramatically fallen because of its remote location, and freight service had ended there as well. Japan Railways was getting ready to shut the station down for good—until they noticed that it was still being used every day by the high-schooler. So they decided to keep the station open for her until she graduates. The company’s even adjusted the train’s timetable according to the girl’s schedule. The unnamed girl is expected to graduate this March, which is when the station will finally be closed.

People are tipping their hats to the Japanese government for making education a top priority. “Why should I not want to die for a country like this when the government is ready to go an extra mile just for me,” one commenter wrote on CCTV’s Facebook page. “This is the meaning of good governance penetrating right to the grassroot level. Every citizen matters. No Child left behind!”

Others, like the creator behind this YouTube video, grieve over the struggling railways of rural Japan. With the country’s record-low birthrate, aging population, and the threat of losing a third of its population by 2060, Japan faces a number of crises including a surplus of vacant housing and a shrinking workforce. The nation’s railroad system is being hit by these shifts.

(...)

http://www.citylab.com/commute/2016...tation-running-for-just-one-passenger/423273/

https://www.facebook.com/cctvnewschina/posts/1109784289062390

EgkMms9.jpg

eBSq1jj.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/explore/locations/368508525/

F0z1Mao.jpg

rbMDIX9.jpg

SwzVc0W.jpg

At least if they ever have to put on a replacement bus service they could just send someone on a bike to give her a backie.

I wonder if her parents let them know if she's missing school any time. Or if they wait for her if she's running late. What happens if she gets detention at school?

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
reminds me of that Kitano movie where him and an old guy waited for the bus to arrive in a mega remote location

Kaako

Felium Defensor
That feel good story. For all the crazy weird shit that goes there, they certainly get a lot of things right.

At least if they ever have to put on a replacement bus service they could just send someone on a bike to give her a backie.

I wonder if her parents let them know if she's missing school any time. Or if they wait for her if she's running late. What happens if she gets detention at school?
Detention in a Japanese School?

“Why should I not want to die for a country like this when the government is ready to go an extra mile just for me,” one commenter wrote on CCTV’s Facebook page.

KdPRAIml.jpg

The fuck. Such a random comment.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
It's these kinds of things that makes me still believe in humanity.

Why don't people like to fuck in that country?

Also, this is sorta nice :)

Declining birth rate is completely normal for post-industrial societies. There are several countries in Europe that also have birth-ratea below replacement level. Japans problwm are their strict immigration policies.

I want a Murakami short story based on this.

Such a sweet little vignette. Can't really explain it but something about this really gets me thinking and warms my heart.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I wonder what that would be like to be the only person using a train line like that. I also wonder if it wouldn't be cheaper to just hire her a driver to drive her to and from school every day, but I guess that ruins the sentiment. lol

Azuran

Banned
I wish I could have that cool service. It certainly beats riding a full capacity Subway every morning on my way to class.

tuffy

I wonder what that would be like to be the only person using a train line like that. I also wonder if it wouldn't be cheaper to just hire her a driver to drive her to and from school every day, but I guess that ruins the sentiment. lol
She's not the only person on the train; she's just the only person who gets on and off at that station.

bud

this reminds me: i remember seeing pictures of some train simulator on the ps2 around 2004 and i've always wanted to play that.

what game am i talking about, and can it still be bought?

i need to play it.

in honour of this story.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
this reminds me: i remember seeing pictures of some train simulator on the ps2 around 2004 and i've always wanted to play that.

what game am i talking about, and can it still be bought?

i need to play it.

in honour of this story.

Densha de go. With the little lever controller?

ATF487

I wish I could have that cool service. It certainly beats riding a full capacity Subway every morning on my way to class.

Well there's probably other people on the train, just not getting on/off at her stop...

Lovely story though

Why don't people like to fuck in that country?

Also, this is sorta nice :)

They do. They just don't have kids. You have the same problem in a lot of other developed countries (there are tons of European and Asian countries with similar birthrates to Japan).

Also nice story.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Sounds like an anime plot.

Also, I don't actually understand why a falling birthrate is a big problem because neither humanity or the Japanese people are in danger of extinction in fact we seem a lot closer to being overpopulated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom