• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Probably Doesn't Keep This Defunct Train Station Running for Just One Passenger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would it perhaps be cheaper to buy her a car?

It would certainly take a lot longer and probably impossible to reach her destination if it's as snowy as in those photos, it gets bad in Hokkaido. Besides, trains are just really important in that country for travel.

Skinpop

Why don't people like to fuck in that country?

Also, this is sorta nice :)

the fertility rate is the same as germany and not that far off most developed countries so it's a question that applies globally. japan stand out because their immigration is much lower, not because they fuck less.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
love this story. I wanna go there and catch that train with her. I bet people will actually start doing that now.

vityaz

Would it perhaps be cheaper to buy her a car?

I'm going to say no... Getting a license in japan is really expensive not to mention she lives in Hokkaido which is really cold with bad(snowy) weather so I can't imagine the roads will be all that safe.

It would certainly take a lot longer and probably impossible to reach her destination if it's as snowy as in those photos, it gets bad in Hokkaido. Besides, trains are just really important in that country for travel.

Don't forget she's a high-school girl, and they made the decision 3 years ago. I think you've got to be at least 18 to get a "normal" driver's license there.

Go on, make one typo on your internet service application.

I dare you.

He won't even get to that stage. Downside of renting vs buying in Japan. Getting internet service as a foreigner renting an apartment is pretty painless. Getting internet service as a foreigner who bought a house but doesn't have a resident visa? I'd say there's better luck in solving P vs NP

daveo42

Banned
That's both amazing and sad in the context of their slowly shrinking country.

awV5H2i.gif

yk4ulcF.gif

Why don't people like to fuck in that country?

Also, this is sorta nice :)

Normal post-industrial issues.

The chief reason for the dearth of births is the decline of marriage. Fewer people are opting to wed, and they are doing so later in life. At least a third of young women aim to become full-time housewives, yet they struggle to find men who can support a traditional family. In better economic times potential suitors had permanent jobs as part of the “lifetime employment” system. Now many hold down temporary or part-time work. Other women shun marriage and children because Japan’s old-fashioned corporate culture, together with a dire shortage of childcare, would force them to give up their careers. Finally, young people are bound by strict social codes. Only around 2% of babies are born outside marriage (compared with 30-50% in most of the rich world), which means that as weddings plummet, so do births. Even for those who do start families, the rising cost of child-rearing often imposes a de facto one-child policy.

Japan has a very strong corporate culture. Older employees aren't leaving and they tend to be employed for life until they choose to retire, so younger employees have little to work with. Women are participating in the corporate workforce more often, but having kids would be detrimental to their careers. Even if they did want to start a family and had a husband who is willing to shoulder part of the burden, paternity leave is still a problem. Child care facilities need to be beefed up.

Basically, a ton of issues based around a strong focus on businesses means people are skipping having kids. Hell, in Japan, they're not even dating.
Japan has one of the lowest birth rates in the world - and its population is on course to shrink dramatically by the middle of the century.
So every five years the government carries out a detailed survey of attitudes to sex and marriage.
The latest found that 61% of unmarried men aged 18 to 34 have no girlfriend, and half of women the same age have no boyfriend - a record high.
More than a quarter of the men and 23% of the women said they were not even looking.
Some cited a shortage of money, others a belief that it is impossible to find a good partner once they had passed the age of 25.
Many of the women also said single life suited them better than how they imagined marriage would be.
The survey also found that more than quarter of unmarried men and women between 35 and 39 years old said they had never had sex.

And immigration is rather difficult.

Oddly enough, Japan isn't the worst. Germany has the world's lowest birth rate and the rest of Europe isn't that far behind Japan. It's why the German government is allowing a larger number of immigrants and making it easy to migrate.

Someone should turn this story into an anime or jdrama. Densha Onna.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Right now there are plenty of North American school busses that drive around rural areas and make stops to pick up single passengers. Is that a story? Nope.

Japan just loves it's adorkable slice of life stories. "This small town in Kyuushu has its mail delivered by an adorable kitten" Lol

BlueWord

Lol, this is so fuckin stupid. What a waste of energy

What the fuck is wrong with you?

It's a sweet story. Moreover, in a broader sense, energy should ultimately serve human interest. I'm sure this girl's education will ultimately contribute to the generation of more "energy" than was expended to enact this very decent human kindness. Even if it doesn't, can we not all agree that the value of an education extends far beyond just what that education can tangibly produce?

A Taiwan Apple Daily report said that the girl featured in the story does take the train every day, but the year-three student takes it from Kyu-Shirataki Station, instead of the Kami-Shirataki Station, along with more than 10 schoolmates at 7.15am. That is the only train in the morning.

On their way home, they have a choice of three trains, with one as late as 7.25pm.

http://www.straitstimes.com/asia/ea...ays-open-for-one-high-school-girl-perhaps-not

Still a nice story, regardless

Right now there are plenty of North American school busses that drive around rural areas and make stops to pick up single passengers. Is that a story? Nope.

Japan just loves it's adorkable slice of life stories. "This small town in Kyuushu has its mail delivered by an adorable kitten" Lol

How much do you think it costs to maintain a train line versus, say, a single bus?

I wonder if the problem of population becomes bad enough that they encourage immigration of families and young people to at least increase population if the native population won't reproduce.

Skinpop

I wonder if the problem of population becomes bad enough that they encourage immigration of families and young people to at least increase population if the native population won't reproduce.

it's a global problem. and immigration doesn't actually solve it.
technology and a new socioeconomic paradigm is needed. also at 125 m you could argue that japan is too densely populated anyway. perpetual growth isn't sustainable and having a country like japan doing their own thing will probably result in solutions sooner or later.

The world isn't facing an overpopulation crisis. It is facing a declining birth rate problem in developed countries. North America and Europe are leaning really heavily on immigration to fill a gap. For instance, Canada hasn't had a sustainable birth rate since the 70s. Even the US is something like 1.8 children per woman, and sustainability is around 2.2, which is where the world is about right now.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The world isn't facing an overpopulation crisis. It is facing a declining birth rate problem in developed countries. North America and Europe are leaning really heavily on immigration to fill a gap. For instance, Canada hasn't had a sustainable birth rate since the 70s. Even the US is something like 1.8 children per woman, and sustainability is around 2.2, which is where the world is about right now.

No way bro. Japan needs me to go over there and sex their waifus because they are too busy watching moe cartoons.

clav

Normal post-industrial issues.

Japan has a very strong corporate culture. Older employees aren't leaving and they tend to be employed for life until they choose to retire, so younger employees have little to work with. Women are participating in the corporate workforce more often, but having kids would be detrimental to their careers. Even if they did want to start a family and had a husband who is willing to shoulder part of the burden, paternity leave is still a problem. Child care facilities need to be beefed up.

Basically, a ton of issues based around a strong focus on businesses means people are skipping having kids. Hell, in Japan, they're not even dating.

And immigration is rather difficult.

Oddly enough, Japan isn't the worst. Germany has the world's lowest birth rate and the rest of Europe isn't that far behind Japan. It's why the German government is allowing a larger number of immigrants and making it easy to migrate.

Someone should turn this story into an anime or jdrama. Densha Onna.

http://www.npr.org/sections/paralle...e-day-care-help-boost-japans-sluggish-economy

There's also a back log of day care centers, so women often sacrifice their careers to take care of kids. However fewer women want to commit to that mentality. Also some women can't deal with the social anxiety created by moving away from tradition of mommy not at home taking care of kids full-time.

Men aren't helping either.

From the article:

Japanese men do the lowest amount of household work in the developed world, a reflection that the East Asian nation still sees caretaking and household duties as women's domain.

jblank83

From the article:

No offense to anyone, but that's pretty typical of most East Asian countries (well, China and Vietnam, at least).

It'd be interesting to see data on this, actually. As in, what are the most and least progressive cultures in East Asia.

Skinpop

http://www.npr.org/sections/paralle...e-day-care-help-boost-japans-sluggish-economy

There's also a back log of day care centers, so women often sacrifice their careers to take care of kids. However fewer women want to commit to that mentality. Also some women can't deal with the social anxiety created from the traditional mommy not at home taking care of kids full-time.

From the article:
well, sacrifice career to take care of kids or sacrifice kids to have a successful career? Sacrifice is such a stupid word in this context anyway. I honestly can't stand people who say they sacrifice things for their children. it's their responsibility and the only thing they can sacrifice is their child by neglecting it.

I do think it would be a great move to make stay at home parenting more attractive/socially acceptable for men. ideally we could have a situation where stay at home parenting is just as prevalent but equally shared between women and men.

Also, women don't sacrifice their career because there is a back log at day care centers. kids with stay at home mums still go to day care centers, though usually only half day.

Jazz573

Yeah, screw her for being too young to drive to a school that is likely 20 km away. I'll bet she gets a free education too! #kidsthesedays

She (or her parents) most likely are paying, as most Japanese high schools are private schools. They even have to write entrance exams just to get in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom