• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Probably Doesn't Keep This Defunct Train Station Running for Just One Passenger

Status
Not open for further replies.

egruntz

shelaughz
Hmmm. If the state is willing to lose money on this, they should just offer to pay for his relocation. Unless finding a job is a concern?

I don't know the situation, didn't really read well. But that's what I'd try to do. Ask if they'd be okay with relocating if it meant it was all paid for. Don't know what's best if they just say "no man."

Anyway cool Japan.

zoozilla

This is a sweet story. The kind of thing that's probably only possible in a smaller country like Japan.

Sounds like an anime plot.

Also, I don't actually understand why a falling birthrate is a big problem because neither humanity or the Japanese people are in danger of extinction in fact we seem a lot closer to being overpopulated

It's a problem because now Japan is filled with old people and there aren't enough young people to keep the economy going and keep social programs running.

sphagnum

Banned

Also, I don't actually understand why a falling birthrate is a big problem because neither humanity or the Japanese people are in danger of extinction in fact we seem a lot closer to being overpopulated

Aging population + not enough young people working to be taxed = bad for paying for social services.

Tabris

The population crisis in Japan is the same as the western world (well Western Europe, Canada, Australia) is about to go through. They are both ahead of us on the population tidal wave and we've mitigated a lot via immigration. Japan needs to open its borders to help mitigate the population tidal wave.

Effect

That's amazing.

This is a sweet story. The kind of thing that's probably only possible in a smaller country like Japan.

It's a problem because now Japan is filled with old people and there aren't enough young people to keep the economy going and keep social programs running.

Aging population + not enough young people working to be taxed = bad for paying for social services.

Isn't what also is hurting the situation is that Japan is not as open as many other countries in regard to immigration? That would certainly help their population numbers. Outside of some very key fields isn't it almost impossible to make the jump there to work and live?

oti

Banned
By the way, has detective conan reached its conclusion yet or are they still working on that? I wanna know the ending before I die.

jblank83

The human species can't expand across the earth infinitely. Eventually the world will become modernized to the point that this scenario will play out everywhere.

So we have to find solutions now, rather than continue to rely on an ever expanding (unsustainable) tax pyramid.

“Why should I not want to die for a country like this when the government is ready to go an extra mile just for me,”

I can't stop laughing at this quote and now I'm wondering what other mundane things this guy is willing to give his life up for.

Cryxok

Something similar happened once at my school. Was many years ago, so I only know about it because teachers talk about it.
My school offers 5 different "specializations" of the same career. Some have more demand than others. One time, the school was facing rough times and one of the specializations had one lone student. The headmaster offered her a scholarship at another school so he wouldn't pay a whole set of teachers for her alone but she refused because she was very attached to her mother. So, there was a classroom and a set of teachers for that student alone until she graduated.
These kind of stories are really heart-warming but I can't help but to wonder if there wasn't another, more practical, way

Peco

They do, but their pixelated genitals prevent procreation.

Vy27qIqDe.gif

I'm not so sure I understand this part of your post. Could you elaborate?

I assume he is talking about the fact most of our world population is going to be made up of the elderly . We are already at equilibrium when it comes to Birth Rates and with the majority of the world only have around 2 children as the standard it means they will become way more old people than they are young people thanks to modern medicine. (At least for this century)

Just to be clear, they're keeping a train station running. The train itself would run either way whether it stops at this station or not, i.e. it's not a whole empty train just for her.

Joni

I'm not so sure I understand this part of your post. Could you elaborate?

Modernization tends to drive down birth rates. The countries with low birth rates are those where people are expected to easily reach old age. And it is an effect that is clearly related to the society as birth rates in immigrants tend to drop really fast too.

SamVimes

That's nothing! Here in Italy with public funds we made an old airport operational only so that a politician living nearby wouldn't have to deal with trains to go to Rome.

N.Domixis

Banned
In third and fourth world countries having lots of kids ensures you have someone to take care of you when you age. The more you have the higher the chance some of them will make it to adult hood to take care of their parents. In first world countries this is no longer necessary. There could be other reasons too.

Vex_

Banned
Modernization tends to drive down birth rates. The countries with low birth rates are those where people are expected to easily reach old age. And it is an effect that is clearly related to the society as birth rates in immigrants tend to drop really fast too.

I assume he is talking about the fact most of our world population is going to be made up of the elderly . We are already at equilibrium when it comes to Birth Rates and with the majority of the world only have around 2 children as the standard it means they will become way more old people than they are young people thanks to modern medicine. (At least for this century)

...but why?

Why does having elderly people, or people who reach an elderly age have an effect on birth rates?

I mean, in my head, if more people were living longer, wouldn't that mean there were more chances for people to have children relative to people dying younger and not getting the chance?

I know I'm am incredibly wrong, but this still doesn't make sense. Is it just something that happens?

Joni

...but why?

Why does having elderly people, or people who reach an elderly age have an effect on birth rates?

I mean, in my head, if more people were living longer, wouldn't that mean there were more chances for people to have children relative to people dying younger and not getting the chance?

I know I'm am incredibly wrong, but this still doesn't make sense. Is it just something that happens?

Education: Women are more likely to postpone childbirth until after university, while in less developed countries women start at earlier ages.
Economy: It is expensive to have children in developed countries, so people wait for their careers. It raises the age of childbirth again.
Urbanization: Our homes are less suited for 3 or more children. We are used to the one child, one bedroom lifestyle but our houses don't have 10 bedrooms. Also, there is less need for kids to help on your farm if you're not a farmer.
Feminism: Women aren't meant to stay in the home and have children, which does have an effect on the birth rate as these women do have to fit children in their normal life.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Just to be clear, they're keeping a train station running. The train itself would run either way whether it stops at this station or not, i.e. it's not a whole empty train just for her.
Yeah, but it's still gotta cost money just for the land and upkeep. So it's still a really cool gesture to hold off closing it just for one person.

Does it have employees though? Like a ticket taker at least?

The interesting thing is that they changed the times so they line up with her school hours. Surely that would change the times for all other stations. That's a lot of logistics right there.

vityaz

No pressure or anything, we just kept this station open for you only, so that you could go to school and become very successful!

Anyway, that's pretty cool, and I feel sad about these smaller train lines disappearing. Some great scenery, for sure.

Vex_

Banned
Education: Women are more likely to postpone childbirth until after university, while in less developed countries women start at earlier ages.
Economy: It is expensive to have children in developed countries, so people wait for their careers. It raises the age of childbirth again.
Urbanization: Our homes are less suited for 3 or more children. We are used to the one child, one bedroom lifestyle but our houses don't have 10 bedrooms. Also, there is less need for kids to help on your farm if you're not a farmer.
Feminism: Women aren't meant to stay in the home and have children, which does have an effect on the birth rate as these women do have to fit children in their normal life.

Ahh OK. Makes sense. Thanks for that.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

We are not close to being overpopulated and...

Falling population is bad for economic growth. This is true threat of lower birthrates in the eyes of government, especially one as staunchly opposed to immigration as the Japanese.

And yeah this is just like my Japanese animes.

Fugu

this reminds me: i remember seeing pictures of some train simulator on the ps2 around 2004 and i've always wanted to play that.

what game am i talking about, and can it still be bought?

i need to play it.

in honour of this story.
This is Densha De Go!, which is one of the greatest games ever made (specifically Final). You can buy it and it's very cheap, although the authentic controller comes with a hefty price tag.

The PC version is especially cheap.

Mrmartel

Banned
If Japan continues on it's demographic path. It will be one of the most fascinating places in the world. A former economic powerhouse, with a high density population. Falling into irreversible decline that is and will be the oldest country on earth. It will be a quiet, much more empty place. Like a fully functional and modern country that has a quasi apocalyptic feel. Like Children of Men with less violence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom