• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan to foreign workers: We don't need you anymore; get out & don't come back ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piper Az

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/23/business/global/23immigrant.html?_r=1&hp

Pretty sad, cruel, and racist to be honest.

April 23, 2009
Japan Pays Foreign Workers to Go Home
By HIROKO TABUCHI
HAMAMATSU, Japan — Rita Yamaoka, a recently jobless mother of three, faces a heart-wrenching decision. The Japanese government has offered to pay thousands of dollars to fly her family home to Brazil.

But if she takes the money, Mrs. Yamaoka and her husband, Sergio — a Brazilian national of Japanese descent — must agree not to seek work in Japan again.

The repatriation offer is part of a new drive to encourage Japan’s sizable pool of Latin American factory workers to leave the recession-wracked country.

“I tell my husband that we should take the money and go back,” said Mrs. Yamaoka, 36, her eyes teary after a town hall meeting where local officials laid out the terms of the program.

“We can’t afford to stay here much longer,” she said. “I feel immense stress. I’ve been crying very often.”

Mrs. Yamaoka and her family settled in the industrial town of Hamamatsu, in central Japan, three years ago, at the height of Japan’s export boom. But in recent months, both she and her husband have lost their auto factory jobs.

The Yamaokas are undecided on whether to leave. But at least 100 Latin American workers have agreed to leave Japan on the understanding they will not return, according to Japanese officials.

Critics denounce the program as short-sighted and inhumane, and a threat to what little progress Japan has made in opening its economy to foreign workers.

“It’s a disgrace. It’s cold-hearted,” said Hidenori Sakanaka, director of the Japan Immigration Policy Institute. “And Japan is kicking itself in the foot... we might be in a recession now, but it’s clear it doesn’t have a future without workers from overseas.”

Japan’s repatriation offer is limited to the country’s Latin American guest workers, whose Japanese parents and grandparents emigrated to Brazil and neighboring countries a century ago to work on coffee plantations.

In 1990, Japan — facing growing industrial labor shortage — started issuing thousands of special work visas to descendants of these emigrants. An estimated 366,000 Brazilians and Peruvians now live in Japan.

The guest workers quickly became the largest group of foreign blue-collar workers in an otherwise immigration-adverse country, filling the so-called three-K jobs (kitsui, kitanai, kiken — or hard, dirty and dangerous.)

But the nation’s manufacturing sector has slumped as demand for Japanese goods evaporates worldwide, prompting job cuts and pushing the jobless rate to a three-year high of 4.4 percent. Japan’s exports plunged 46 percent in March from a year earlier, and industrial production is at its lowest level in 25 years.

So Japan has been keen to help foreign workers go home, thus easing pressure on domestic labor markets and getting thousands off unemployment rolls.

“Japan’s economy has hit a rainstorm. There won’t be good employment opportunities for a while, so that’s why we’re suggesting that the Nikkei Brazilians go home,” said Jiro Kawasaki, a former health minister and senior lawmaker of the ruling Liberal Democratic Party.

“Naturally, we don’t want those same people back in Japan after a couple of months,” Mr. Kawasaki said, who led the ruling party task force that devised the repatriation plan, part of a wider emergency strategy to combat rising unemployment in Japan. “Then Japanese taxpayers would ask, ‘What kind of ridiculous policy is this?’ ”

Under the emergency program, introduced this month, the country’s Brazilian and other Latin American guest workers are offered $3,000 toward air fare, plus $2,000 for each dependent — attractive lump sums for many immigrants here. Workers who leave have been told they can pocket any change.

But those who travel home on Japan’s dime will not be allowed to reapply for a special “Nikkei” work visa. Stripped of that status, most Japanese-Brazilian workers who left would find it all but impossible to return to work here under Japan’s strict immigration laws.

The plan to fly immigrants out of Japan has come as a shock to many here, especially after the Japanese government introduced a number of measures in recent months to help jobless foreigners, including free Japanese-language courses, vocational training and job counseling. Guest workers are eligible for limited cash unemployment benefits, provided they have paid monthly premiums.

“It’s baffling,” said Angelo Ishi, an associate professor in sociology at Musashi University in Tokyo. “The Japanese government has previously made it clear that they welcome Japanese-Brazilians, but this is an insult to the community.”

Facing a storm of criticism from immigrant communities here, Japan is prepared to consider letting some repatriated immigrants re-enter the country after an unspecified period of time, said Kazuyoshi Matsunaga, an official at the Foreign Ministry’s consular affairs section.

Still, it is unclear whether workers who leave will be allowed to return.

The program comes despite warnings that the aging country needs all the foreign workers it can attract to stave off a impending labor shortage.

Japan’s population has been falling since 2005, and its working-age population could fall by a third by 2050. Though manufacturers have been laying off workers, sectors like farming and elderly care still face shortages.

But Mr. Kawasaki, the former health minister, said the economic slump was a good opportunity to overhaul Japan’s immigration policy as a whole.

“We should stop letting unskilled laborers into Japan. We should make sure that even the three-K jobs are paid well, and that they are filled by Japanese,” he said.

“I do not think that Japan should ever become a multi-ethnic society” like the United States, which “has been a failure on the immigration front,” Mr. Kawasaki added. That failure, he said, was demonstrated by extreme income inequalities between rich Americans and poor immigrants.

At the packed town hall meeting in Hamamatsu, immigrants voiced disbelief that they would be barred from returning. Angry members of the audience converged on town officials. Others walked out of the meeting room.

“Are you saying even our children will not be able to come back?” one participant shouted.

“That is correct, they will not be able to come back,” a local labor official, Masahiro Watai, answered calmly.

Claudio Nishimori, 30, said he was considering returning to Brazil because his shifts at a electronics parts factory here were recently reduced to three days a week. But he felt anxious about going back to a country he had left so long ago, he said.

“I’ve lived in Japan for 13 years. I’m not sure what job I can find when I return to Brazil,” he said. But his wife has been unemployed since being laid off last year, and he can no longer afford to support his family, he said.

Others have made up their minds to leave. About 1,000 of Hamamatsu’s Brazilian inhabitants left the city before the aid was announced. The city’s Brazilian elementary school closed last month.

“They put up with us as long as they needed the labor,” said Wellington Shibuya, who came to this industrial city six years ago and lost his job at a stove factory in October.

“But now that the economy is bad, they throw us a bit of cash and say goodbye.”

He recently applied for the government repatriation aid and is set to leave in June.

“We worked hard, we tried to fit in. Yet they’re so quick to kick us out,” he said. “I’m happy to leave a country like this.”

dabookerman said:
That's pretty horrible.

Is it just those citizens that are affected? What about school teachers etc?

Sounds like uneducated "3 k" labor jobs. But, I could see that happening in the future, too.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
dabookerman said:
That's pretty horrible.

I don't think the affected individuals are Japanese citizens.

Piper Az

The fact that Japan only allowed the immigrant workers to be Japanese-descent was messed up to begin with. Now, they're not purebred Japanese enough to live in Japan.

Piper Az said:
racist to be honest.

These people got into the country on a 3 year visa for relatives of 2nd & 3rd generation Japanese. The ones that are there doing those jobs legally, anyway. A ton of them are illegal since you technically can't get a work visa in Japan unless you have a 4 year degree or are married to a citizen. Brazilians are to Japan as Mexicans are to America. I feel bad for them since they're not treated well in Japan, but honestly, they've earned a bad reputation in the country over the years as not caring about the culture or trying to learn the language. That's a big reason why so many of them are stuck in these horrible bottom-rung manufacturing jobs that no Japanese people will take. The money's a bit better than doing the same thing back in Brazil, but other than that I don't really get why they stay. They vast majority of Brazilians I knew always complained about how uptight and stuffy the country was for them.

This offer is really more about the strain on the social system these people represent than race - but yes, there is a good deal of institutionalized racism in Japan.

kmfdmpig

It sounds completely optional, however.

Unless I'm misreading the article they have the option to stay and not take the offer or take the offer and agree to the terms.

I don't see the problem.

dabookerman said:
That's pretty horrible.

This is just the Brazilians/South Americans really. It's not about "foreign workers", it's about uneducated labourers in the country under dubious circumstances. Tons of Chinese doing the same thing, but the Japanese would never pay them money to send them home.

MotherFan

GDGF said:
Japan. The most hated person of the week.

Indeed. This is pretty messed up that they can't ever come back. Its not like they broke the law or anything here.

Edit: LivefromKyoto, if you are comparing this to China (the bastion of human rights), you already have a problem.

MotherFan said:
Indeed. This is pretty messed up that they can't ever come back. Its not like they broke the law or anything here.

1. A lot of them have broken/stretched immigration laws.

2. It's optional.

Edit: LivefromKyoto, if you are comparing this to China (the bastion of human rights), you already have a problem.

Where did I do that? I mentioned Chinese labourers in Japan.

mollipen

As somebody who has lived in Japan, would like to live in Japan again, and is married to somebody from Japan... honestly, I don't really see a problem with Japan not wanting a huge amount of foreigners living/working in the country. I certainly don't agree with the idea, but hey, it's their country and their right to want/not want whomever they choose.

a3cio5.jpg

Stay classy Japan.

Piper Az

kmfdmpig said:
It sounds completely optional, however.

Unless I'm misreading the article they have the option to stay and not take the offer or take the offer and agree to the terms.

I don't see the problem.

So as long as a government doesn't round people and deport them forcefully, telling a group of foreigners that they're no longer welcome to stay because they're not purebred is OK? wow.

KevinCow

Banned
GDGF said:
Wow. Japan can be pretty fucked up sometimes.

(can be said about anywhere, though)
Japan is always fucked up, but this is an entirely different kind of fucked up. This isn't laughable and goofy but overall harmless fucked up, it's racist and xenophobic fucked up.

MotherFan

LiveFromKyoto said:
1. A lot of them have broken/stretched immigration laws.

2. It's optional.

What about the kids? Why are they being banned? Is there any real good reason for this other than "lol brazilian taking job"?

I understand deporting people who have broken (not stretched) the immigration laws. But this is ridiculous.

Edit: Ok, misinterpreted your thing about the Chinese. So scratch that one.

shidoshi said:
As somebody who has lived in Japan, would like to live in Japan again, and is married to somebody from Japan... honestly, I don't really see a problem with Japan not wanting a huge amount of foreigners living/working in the country. I certainly don't agree with the idea, but hey, it's their country and their right to want/not want whomever they choose.

Incidentally, Japanese immigration is more lax in most areas than US/Canadian law. It's WAYYY easier to get a visa/work permit, or stay in the country as a spouse. US/Canada expect you to wait 9 months to a year before bringing a spouse over. Japan is like right away.

zoku88

MotherFan said:
What about the kids? Why are they being banned? Is there any real good reason for this other than "lol brazilian taking job"?
I would assume that the kids aren't banned, in the future, since they're probably legal residents of Japan.

Though, I'm confused why the mother would be banned since she's Japanese too...

MotherFan

zoku88 said:
I would assume that the kids aren't banned, in the future, since they're probably legal residents of Japan.

“Are you saying even our children will not be able to come back?” one participant shouted.

“That is correct, they will not be able to come back,” a local labor official, Masahiro Watai, answered calmly.

This

Piper Az

zoku88 said:

Reading is essential.
At the packed town hall meeting in Hamamatsu, immigrants voiced disbelief that they would be barred from returning. Angry members of the audience converged on town officials. Others walked out of the meeting room.

MotherFan said:

Yeah - after a certain number of years they're eligible for social benefits whether they're a citizen/permanent resident or not. The Japanese welfare system sucks, but it's still often better than what they're doing, and a lot of them end up working under the table on the side - there are plenty of manufacturers who pay cash and off the books (it's amazing what Yakuza friends can do for your audit). It's basically cheaper to pay them off to go home than to have them get on this system.

This isn't restricted to labourers either. I knew unambitious English teachers who'd go on 8 month vacations on the government's dime.

I understand deporting people who have broken (not stretched) the immigration laws. But this is ridiculous.

Nobody's being deported. They're taking cash in agreement for going home.

Ripclawe

Banned
Japan is sorta modeling it after Spain except for the don't come back part.

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1852000,00.html
Spain's new Plan of Voluntary Return, which goes into effect Monday, entitles legal immigrants who have lost their jobs to receive unemployment benefits as a lump sum payment — as long as they agree to leave the country. Participants must turn in their residence permits and work visas and promise not to return to Spain for three years. In exchange, they receive 40% of their total unemployment payouts before departing and the remaining 60% once they are home — an expected average of just over $40,000 in total.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
HAHAHAHAHA.

I laugh at the primitive people who came up with this idea.

Typical. Japan is doomed economically, it has no future. The signs have been evident in a couple of sectors, and now it is spreading. Superstition and pride are shackles Japan never got rid of. It will bring them down in the next twenty years. There is no turning around.

Quite frankly, I'm glad that the prideful old cooks will still be alive by then to witness the fruits of their own labor and then die in shame and self-hatred, the same self-hatred that leads them to take such decisions.

MotherFan

LiveFromKyoto said:
Yeah - after a certain number of years they're eligible for social benefits whether they're a citizen/permanent resident or not. The Japanese welfare system sucks, but it's still often better than what they're doing, and a lot of them end up working under the table on the side - there are plenty of manufacturers who pay cash and off the books (it's amazing what Yakuza friends can do for your audit). It's basically cheaper to pay them off to go home than to have them get on this system.

This isn't restricted to labourers either. I knew unambitious English teachers who'd go on 8 month vacations on the government's dime.

Nobody's being deported. They're taking cash in agreement for going home.

I didn't say they were, I said I understand when those who break immigration law are. As for the Yakuza doing this, why not have someone fix this? I mean, having an organized crime ring fixing audits is not a real good thing.

Anyways, no reason to basically permanently ban someone from the country. This is basically a volunteer exile.

Green Biker Dude said:
I'm pretty sure a lot of people say this is okay because Japan is doing it. If it was any other country they'd be grabbing their e-pitchforks.

Actually, I think I'm the only one in any way defending it, and even I know there's racial motivation here - I just know that not all these people are innocents being abused by the system.

You can't generalize and say "Japan's racist", but you can definitely say "there are a lot of racists in Japan." And a great many of them are nationalistic types working in government who do everything under the banner of "Japan should be for the Japanese", which on the surface seems fair enough, it is their country. It's just the expression of it which can occasionally get nasty.

MotherFan

LiveFromKyoto said:
Actually, I think I'm the only one in any way defending it, and even I know there's racial motivation here - I just know that not all these people are innocents being abused by the system.

You can't generalize and say "Japan's racist", but you can definitely say "there are a lot of racists in Japan." And a great many of them are nationalistic types working in government who do everything under the banner of "Japan should be for the Japanese", which on the surface seems fair enough, it is their country. It's just the expression of it which can occasionally get nasty.

Falena for Falenans

gizel01.png

MotherFan said:
IAs for the Yakuza doing this, why not have someone fix this? I mean, having an organized crime ring fixing audits is not a real good thing.

You live in Japan now? I'm guessing you're in the inaka or a recent arrival. Stay a couple of years, and you'll start to realize just how much of the country the Yakuza have a hand in, from government and business right down to the hot dog stand at every neighbourhood matsuri.

The Yakuza get away with it for three main reasons:

1. Politics in Japan are expensive, and it's nearly impossible to run without taking Yak money. A lot of politicians at every level are in their pockets.

2. They're often better organized and motivated than the police are, and the populace is completely cowed.

3. There's a certain level of tolerance because A) organized crime is easier to deal with than the disorganized chinpira; the Yakuza at least keep the guns and drugs at a reasonable level, and B) at least they're Japanese. If it's not them running it, the triads and Koreans and Thai mobs will take over, and then the shit will really hit the fan.

MotherFan

LiveFromKyoto said:
You live in Japan now? I'm guessing you're in the inaka or a recent arrival. Stay a couple of years, and you'll start to realize just how much of the country the Yakuza have a hand in, from government and business right down to the hot dog stand at every neighbourhood matsuri.

The Yakuza get away with it for three main reasons:

1. Politics in Japan are expensive, and it's nearly impossible to run without taking Yak money. A lot of politicians at every level are in their pockets.

2. They're often better organized and motivated than the police are, and the populace is completely cowed.

3. There's a certain level of tolerance because A) organized crime is easier to deal with than the disorganized chinpira; the Yakuza at least keep the guns and drugs at a reasonable level, and B) at least they're Japanese. If it's not them running it, the triads and Koreans and Thai mobs will take over, and then the shit will really hit the fan.

So they have to have a large mob running things? Seriously, having an organized crime ring running a country is NOT a good thing. No, I don't think it would be easy to get rid of, but there is far more justification for doing that than shipping off the migrant workers.

mollipen

Zoramon089 said:
Your loss Japan...you're doing the world a disservice

If Japan is giving up girls like this, then technically aren't they doing the world a service? (Since the girls are leaving Japan and going to other places.)

maharg

idspispopd
LiveFromKyoto said:

It's a racist policy because it targets a particular ethnic group. It's a government policy of Japan. Japan is being racist. I think it's a little absurd to say as much as you have in this thread about these people being unintegrated jerks skirting the law and then turn around and tell other people not to call japan racist for doing it. Don't profile if you don't want to be profiled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom