• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan to foreign workers: We don't need you anymore; get out & don't come back ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Replicant said:
No one believed me when I said that Japan is nice for 1 week to 1 month holiday. But if you stay longer, you'll start seeing the 'cracks' in that country, namely hidden discrimination/bigotry.

This is a good example of it.

:lol
You went to another country and were the minority. Try being black/mexican in America.

LAUGHTREY said:
You went to another country and were the minority. Try being black/mexican in America.

I once had a white guy roll up on me after he'd been here for like 3 months and was like "Now I know how it feels to be discriminated against." Too funny.

maharg said:
It's a racist policy because it targets a particular ethnic group. It's a government policy of Japan. Japan is being racist. I think it's a little absurd to say as much as you have in this thread about these people being unintegrated jerks skirting the law and then turn around and tell other people not to call japan racist for doing it. Don't profile if you don't want to be profiled.

I definitely think it is a stupid policy, mainly because Japan is probably going to be forced to deal with immigrant workers in the future because of the aging population.

But really people are making this worse than it really is. They are giving them goddamn money with a stipulation(a stupid one i agree on). Unless I am confused no one is getting kicked out.

I really don't think all the people calling out racism and shit are thinking this through.

There is a rising number of unemployed unskilled workers who have really nothing to add to the economy and would be stuck here in a pretty damn bad situation unless they got really lucky. It definitely sounds bad at first, but the more I think about it the more I am sure that there are families with children who are on the verge of being homeless. I am sure some people are more than happy to make a clean break out of here.

(I still think its a retarded fucking decision, don't get me wrong. But there is more to it than "OMG stupid racist country!")

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
dr3upmushroom said:
I'm pretty ignorant of Japan's culture but it seems like the whole country is in a state of helplessness and always lets the ones at the top choose the direction without giving any fight what so ever.

Pretty much. Everything in this country is very "top - down" and the majority of people out there have no desire to do anything but obey the authorities. Just take a look at a lot of corporations where people with good educations work like slaves.

Sure there are a good amount of people out there who do care and will actually stand up for their rights, but if anything they are thought to be strange by the majority of the populace and as the Japanese saying goes "the peg that sticks out gets hammered down".

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Plus, it's easier to just roll with things if you aren't hugely inconvenienced.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
RevenantKioku said:
Plus, it's easier to just roll with things if you aren't hugely inconvenienced.

I guess it depends on how you define "hugely inconvenienced". It seems to me that a lot of the time "just rolling with things" is accomplished only by being hugely inconvenienced.

Somnid

Hey I just got racially profiled on the street today. A cop came up and asked me for my registration on my way to the station. It didn't bother me, so I just politely gave him what he wanted and he was very nice and sent me on my way. Hell in America if this happened the person involved would have raised a shit storm and people would be screaming civil rights violation over what amounts to nothing.

Also, I get $120 in stimulus from the Japanese government despite the fact that I don't pay taxes being a study abroad student. Who says they aren't nice to foreigners?

Beezy

Jamesfrom818 said:
They could be throwing out girls that grow up to look like this

Unkown_JP-BZ5.jpg

Their loss.
oh my god...

Negaiido

ddk said:
I once had a white guy roll up on me after he'd been here for like 3 months and was like "Now I know how it feels to be discriminated against." Too funny.

Really? Are white guys being discriminated? This + the article = me not going to Japan anymore.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
RevenantKioku said:
Her teeth are all straight. Missing the best part of her genes.

Are you saying you like crooked teeth?

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Zefah said:
Are you saying you like crooked teeth?
The whole grill doesn't have to be messed up, but one misplaced tooth or some crooked ones or gigantor incisor and we're all om nom nom.

Zyzyxxz

Somnid said:
Hey I just got racially profiled on the street today. A cop came up and asked me for my registration on my way to the station. It didn't bother me, so I just politely gave him what he wanted and he was very nice and sent me on my way. Hell in America if this happened the person involved would have raised a shit storm and people would be screaming civil rights violation over what amounts to nothing.

Also, I get $120 in stimulus from the Japanese government despite the fact that I don't pay taxes being a study abroad student. Who says they aren't nice to foreigners?

Holy shit stop the presses!

Economy is over!

RevenantKioku

Wait, fuck. What was the deadline? Was there a deadline? I haven't even looked at the forms yet. :(

Somnid

Seriously what's this deadline talk? I just got the form like 2 days ago. I still need to find a foreigner friendly bank to set up an account with to get it.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
RevenantKioku said:
Wait, fuck. What was the deadline? Was there a deadline? I haven't even looked at the forms yet. :(

I do believe it's different for every city. I have yet to get anything for mine...

Piper Az said:

Yeah . . . that's actually something the Japanese tend to have an issue about. Just ask Koreans. Or Chinese. Or black people in japan. There is even some subgroup of Japanese that is discriminate . . . (something to do with leather workers or something like that . . . anyone know what I'm talking about?)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Somnid said:
Seriously what's this deadline talk? I just got the form like 2 days ago. I still need to find a foreigner friendly bank to set up an account with to get it.

Foreigner friendly bank? You shouldn't have any problems setting up a bank account in any of the major banks as long as you have residence status.

Somnid

Zefah said:
Foreigner friendly bank? You shouldn't have any problems setting up a bank account in any of the major banks as long as you have residence status.

I've heard stories from others particularly about Mizuho. Also one without a monthly fee with no minimum balance would be nice but I'm not really sure if that would be asking for too much in Japan.

Shouta

Somnid said:
I've heard stories from others particularly about Mizuho. Also one without a monthly fee with no minimum balance would be nice but I'm not really sure if that would be asking for too much in Japan.

I haven't had any issues with Toho myself but it's a NE bank so a little harder to get money in other areas.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Somnid said:

Look up Shinsei Bank. They are pretty much the best bank in Japan for a normal account and the only one without ATM fees. They even have reasonable hours (7:00pm closing time on weekdays) and are actually open on Saturdays (until 5:00pm)! They are pretty much the closest you will find to an American-style bank in Japan and have really great online banking options. I believe they are very English-friendly as well and you can set up an account online. The only problem is that branches are still not very widespread throughout Japan.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
ddk said:

I have a better one.. "Now I know how blacks in America felt!" (note the past tense)

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
cicerone said:
Not per family. 300,000 yen for per worker and 200,000 yen for per dependent.

Let's say a family of 4.. that's $9000 to move your stuff and life overseas.

Slavik81

speculawyer said:
Yeah . . . that's actually something the Japanese tend to have an issue about. Just ask Koreans. Or Chinese. Or black people in japan. There is even some subgroup of Japanese that is discriminate . . . (something to do with leather workers or something like that . . . anyone know what I'm talking about?)
It's not just them. The Chinese and the Koreans are like that too. When I was looking into teaching English in Korea they were pretty up front about it. The FAQ section had "What if I'm black?" as an FAQ question and outright said they would be unlikely to find a school who'd hire you.

And they hate each other too.

MrHicks said:
how xenophobic is south korea compared to japan?
always wondered this
Answered.

MrHicks said:
how xenophobic is south korea compared to japan?
always wondered this

Worse, though Seoul's pretty cosmopolitan. That said, I met plenty of cool people there. It was like a half "hey, how you doing?" / half stink eye mix. You meet a lot of characters in Korea. Most of the people I know who've worked there got bad vibes, though I know some who dug it. It seems your experience as a foreigner will have a lot of correlation to how much you're of white western European descent and understand the language/culture. I knew a Vietnamese girl who taught there and said she was basically looked down on her whole time there.

VAIL

mmm snoo snoo (which I always typed out as "Snu Snu") but I digress.

At least it's optional and they are getting paid to do it, can't say the same for Mexicans that get hired here then deported back.

Jake.

total bullshit, as is anyone trying to sugarcoat it.

ps japanese cops may be some of the most useless in the world, but they have never bothered me.

cvxfreak

Troidal said:
And I still dont understand why many continue to want to live in Japan.

It's like wanting hot soup for dinner, instead, they just pour it on you during your sleep.

And now you know why I sleep on the floor.

Every country is like this though... for every complaint one has about Japan, I can probably come up with an equivalent for the U.S. and the Philippines (places where I've lived). I'm sure others can do the same.

As for essentially deporting these workers for life... short-sighted. Where the heck are you gonna get workers when the economy recovers?

Zefah said:
Look up Shinsei Bank. They are pretty much the best bank in Japan for a normal account and the only one without ATM fees. They even have reasonable hours (7:00pm closing time on weekdays) and are actually open on Saturdays (until 5:00pm)! They are pretty much the closest you will find to an American-style bank in Japan and have really great online banking options. I believe they are very English-friendly as well and you can set up an account online. The only problem is that branches are still not very widespread throughout Japan.

I have an account and they rock. I think I need to get a bank book from them this Saturday. WHICH I CAN DO BECAUSE THEY'RE OPEN ON SATURDAY, YEAH! :D

Zyzyxxz

cvxfreak said:
Every country is like this though... for every complaint one has about Japan, I can probably come up with an equivalent for the U.S. and the Philippines (places where I've lived). I'm sure others can do the same.

Good point but most people are ignorant to the problems in Japan, and most here won't care since we have alot of Japanophiles. Since this topic is here might as well discuss it and bring up all the bad points of Japan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom