• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan to foreign workers: We don't need you anymore; get out & don't come back ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
shidoshi said:
If Japan is giving up girls like this, then technically aren't they doing the world a service? (Since the girls are leaving Japan and going to other places.)

But when they kick out the Brazilians, they can't make more of these fine ladies.

Replicant

No one believed me when I said that Japan is nice for 1 week to 1 month holiday. But if you stay longer, you'll start seeing the 'cracks' in that country, namely hidden discrimination/bigotry.

This is a good example of it.

Mik2121

I will go and guess they are just talking about that kind of foreign workers.

In fact, if I'm not wrong I think I remember watching on TV the Prime Minister of Japan talking about how Japan needs and welcomes more workers to stay in Japan. Of course, he didn't probably mean workers as in the ones mentioned in the OP, but more like teachers, designers, business people, etc..

I doubt I'll stay too long in this country though, mostly because design over here is going quite to the wrong places, and barely getting any better in the last few years, added to the fact that they don't sell that much anymore and current gen games are damn expensive, so they can't spend all that money and hence making most of the games looking not-so-good.

As for the 'cracks' that the user above mentions, that's true as well. But that's usually for foreigners that don't adapt to the country (ie. be able to talk Japanese).. and also depends on where you live (I'd guess Tokyo isn't all that bad for foreigners). I live in Osaka and I barely have any problem.. maybe once every couple months someone looks at me on a weird way, or talk to me like I'm fucking retarded.. but other than that it's all pretty normal.. until I went to Hong Kong a couple weeks ago.. damn! I'd soooo rather live there, that place does really feel.. international :p You can be from any country and you won't be looked weird, nor treated badly (I guess). In fact wherever I went, they were incredibly nice to me, and it was really awesome to see everybody being able to speak English!. That's something Japan will never be able to achieve, their Engrish is ridiculous! (except for the ones that really try and study hard enough to get rid of the funny accent).

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
You can sned them off to the continent of Shura, but be warned, in that environment their fighting spirit will grow even stronger.

Zyzyxxz

Ether_Snake said:
HAHAHAHAHA.

I laugh at the primitive people who came up with this idea.

Typical. Japan is doomed economically, it has no future. The signs have been evident in a couple of sectors, and now it is spreading. Superstition and pride are shackles Japan never got rid of. It will bring them down in the next twenty years. There is no turning around.

Quite frankly, I'm glad that the prideful old cooks will still be alive by then to witness the fruits of their own labor and then die in shame and self-hatred, the same self-hatred that leads them to take such decisions.

same, I studied the Japanese economy extensively during college, whenever I could choose my own topic and I learned a great deal about how all these prideful and ultra-nationalist guys run the country.

First of all you know why they took in these Brazilians: because there were a large number of Japanese living in Brazil, in fact Brazil is home to the largest community of Japanese descendants outside Japan.

So the government though, hey we need cheap labor but we don't like non-Japanese immigrants so how about we let these japanese-Brazilians back into the country since they are technically "our people".

They had trouble fitting in, many of the 2nd gen kids didn't speak Japanese or spoke a broken version of it, and socially/culturally they weren't considered "japnese-y" enough.

Japan is a disgrace of a country and its too bad the populace is too ignorant to care what its nationalist government does. Can't wait until they die out.

Lebron

It's ok, when their robots turn on them and revolt they will turn to the world and say, "save us!" And the world will whisper, "no..."

Replicant

Mik2121 said:
I doubt I'll stay too long in this country though, mostly because design over here is going quite to the wrong places, and barely getting any better in the last few years, added to the fact that they don't sell that much anymore and current gen games are damn expensive, so they can't spend all that money and hence making most of the games looking not-so-good.

Care to elaborate? I've been curious about design work in Japan but due to Japan's well...attitude towards foreign workers and the reality that it's hard to get a job there, I'm not keen to make the move.

Zyzyxxz said:
Japan is a disgrace of a country and its too bad the populace is too ignorant to care what its nationalist government does. Can't wait until they die out.
I'm pretty ignorant of Japan's culture but it seems like the whole country is in a state of helplessness and always lets the ones at the top choose the direction without giving any fight what so ever.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
If these immigrant workers are working dangerous and undesirable jobs on the Japanese standard, why are they trying to kick them out ? Not like they are competing with Japanese for those jobs anyways.

shidoshi said:
If Japan is giving up girls like this, then technically aren't they doing the world a service? (Since the girls are leaving Japan and going to other places.)

Yeah but, from what I can tell, that girl is mixed. More foreigners being kicked out = less mixed couples = less girls like that

maharg said:
It's a racist policy because it targets a particular ethnic group. It's a government policy of Japan. Japan is being racist. I think it's a little absurd to say as much as you have in this thread about these people being unintegrated jerks skirting the law and then turn around and tell other people not to call japan racist for doing it. Don't profile if you don't want to be profiled.

Don't misunderstand me. Yes, there's a definite racial component here, the OP is just rather slanted and half this thread seems to think it's about banning English teachers. Where were all you guys for this thread where I was one of like two guys sharing his actual racist experiences in Japan while everybody else was spouting nonsense like "lies, there's no racism in Japan, it's the happiest place on Earth" or:

darscot said:
75% of the population treat you like a rockstar

?

MotherFan

Replicant said:
Care to elaborate? I've been curious about design work in Japan but due to Japan's well...attitude towards foreign workers and the reality that it's hard to get a job there, I'm not keen to make the move.

What he means is they are not going towards shiny HD graphics like the western market.

MotherFan

LiveFromKyoto said:
Don't misunderstand me. Yes, there's a definite racial component here, the OP is just rather slanted and half this thread seems to think it's about banning English teachers. Where were all you guys for this thread where I was one of like two guys sharing his actual racist experiences in Japan while everybody else was spouting nonsense like "lies, there's no racism in Japan, it's the happiest place on Earth" or:

?

Not a member :p

Anyways, I don't think it is banning English teachers, but I still think it is wrong to permanently ban someone from a country when they have done nothing wrong (the ones that have not broken the law)

oops, DP

rexor0717

Jamesfrom818 said:
They could be throwing out girls that grow up to look like this

Unkown_JP-BZ5.jpg

Their loss.
0_0
Japan fails hard.

More seriously, I heard about something about this a while back. Its sounds pretty racist to me, but I guess they are ok with it. :/

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
dr3upmushroom said:
I'm pretty ignorant of Japan's culture but it seems like the whole country is in a state of helplessness and always lets the ones at the top choose the direction without giving any fight what so ever.

That's because you think overall people don't agree with them:p

Ether_Snake said:
That's because you think overall people don't agree with them:p
My opinion on the fact has very little ground to stand on, that's why I just wanted a more insightful opinion on the matter. I don't know so are people pretty comfortable with the way things are there?

Mik2121

Replicant said:
Uhmpph.. it could take quite a long time to explain it all, and I can't be 100% accurate because I have only had experience from an internship and my current design college.

But basically... everything is looking way too bad here. Most current games are way too expensive to develop and lots of companies can't afford it.
Japanese movies are.. well.. a joke. And I'm talking just from a design point of view. Same goes for TV series. Don't ever expect anything near the level of Lost, 24, etc.. because they will just keep doing series FOR Japanese people without ever thinking about the possibility of bringing that series to other countries. And if you ever watch a Japanese series, it has the worst camera work you will ever see, added to some really cheap pre-made After Effects visual effects and overall no visual treatment. I think I've seen some user-made content on Youtube waaay better looking than most Japanese series.

Other than that, lots of Japanese designers lack the basic knowledges of the color theories, and you can tell by, for example, how the Japanese TV looks like something for 6 year old kids to have fun with, with all the shiny stuff, bright colors all around and just about everything looking so out of place.

Oh, and except for a very few companies, don't even think about trying to make something that the average occidental person would enjoy. Rather than the 'mature' looking designs, with sleek shapes and cool colors.. except, again, for some companies like Capcom, Konami, Nintendo (except for the mature looking, but even then, you know what I mean right?).

I really hope it all gets fixed, but it's like Japan doesn't want to be as "international" basically any other country. Even some of my teachers said I was lucky I can speak English and that I would do better (based on my current 'work') in the US or Europe than Japan, unless I go to one of the really big companies like the ones I named before.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Uhh Japanese TV, dramas and stuff aren't the quality of American dramas cause the things are literally made in a couple of months and they don't have nearly the budget.

As for their variety sets, well, yeah those are pretty hideous, but that's just Asia.

To say though that Japanese artists don't know color theory is a little lol though.

Troidal

And I still dont understand why many continue to want to live in Japan.

It's like wanting hot soup for dinner, instead, they just pour it on you during your sleep.

And now you know why I sleep on the floor.

kevm3

So what are the reasons for Japan's economy being in such a bad shape? I've been hearing they've been dealing with a bad economy for a long while now.

Tarazet

maharg said:
It's a racist policy because it targets a particular ethnic group. It's a government policy of Japan. Japan is being racist. I think it's a little absurd to say as much as you have in this thread about these people being unintegrated jerks skirting the law and then turn around and tell other people not to call japan racist for doing it. Don't profile if you don't want to be profiled.

It's not an ethnic group, it's a nationality. All of the people in this equation are the same ethnic group.

LuCkymoON

Banned
Lebron said:
It's ok, when their robots turn on them and revolt they will turn to the world and say, "save us!" And the world will whisper, "no..."
this was the plot of Vexille. I'm not kidding.:lol

Replicant

LiveFromKyoto said:
Where were all you guys for this thread where I was one of like two guys sharing his actual racist experiences in Japan while everybody else was spouting nonsense like "lies, there's no racism in Japan, it's the happiest place on Earth" or:

?

Troidal said:
And I still dont understand why many continue to want to live in Japan.

That's because it's a futile effort trying to explain to those "Japan is SOOO Great" anime/manga/Japanophile that Japan is not all that. At least not until they go there and spend a great couple of months there on their own (as opposed to 1 week guided tour or 1 month language school). They have this idea that Japan is a heaven (it kind of is, to a certain extent. It's a beautiful country that needs to be explored) even though it's far from it.

Japan has many issues and their attitude towards foreigners (you do get slightly better treatment if you're of caucasian descent though) is a big turn-off. I remember laughing so hard when I visited my friend who's working there for the first time. He basically unloaded all of his emotional baggage about the country to me, saying how nice it is to see someone he can talk to openly. The thing is, he never believed me when I told him about Japan's unpleasant side before he went there.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
kevm3 said:
So what are the reasons for Japan's economy being in such a bad shape? I've been hearing they've been dealing with a bad economy for a long while now.

Japan has become extremely risk averse in the last 15 or so years. Most college graduates are told by their parents that the truly wonderful thing to do is go work for a big company. Small business is dying, and big business is thriving.

Replicant said:
That's because it's a futile effort trying to explain to those "Japan is SOOO Great" anime/manga/Japanophile that Japan is not all that. At least not until they go there and spend a great couple of months there on their own (as opposed to 1 week guided tour or 1 month language school). They have this idea that Japan is a heaven (it kind of is, to a certain extent. It's a beautiful country that needs to be explored) even though it's far from it.

Japan has many issues and their attitude towards foreigners (you do get slightly better treatment if you're of caucasian descent though) is a big turn-off. I remember laughing so hard when I visited my friend who's working there for the first time. He basically unloaded all of his emotional baggage about the country to me, saying how nice it is to see someone he can talk to openly. The thing is, he never believed me when I told him about Japan's unpleasant side before he went there.

Japan has its definite disadvantages, but it's total horseshit that the nightmare you describe is somehow indicative of every foreigner's life. I wouldn't trade my last 3 years in Japan for anything in the world. It's been some of the best years of my life.

Japan is a pretty fucking awesome place to live, to be honest. Sure, some Japanese people don't particularly like us, but I have a lot of Japanese friends that absolutely love me and my american friends. I've made some really amazing friendships.

Mik2121

sprsk said:
Uhh Japanese TV, dramas and stuff aren't the quality of American dramas cause the things are literally made in a couple of months and they don't have nearly the budget.

As for their variety sets, well, yeah those are pretty hideous, but that's just Asia.

To say though that Japanese artists don't know color theory is a little lol though.
I didn't talk about ALL artists, but MOST artists don't really know color theory, and I'm not the only one saying this (most of my teachers admit that, mostly because they are... well.. teachers, and they have had tons of students that end up in those companies and they have no clue about color theory).

And what if dramas and stuff aren't the quality of American drams because they are made in a couple months? That doesn't change ANYTHING. He wants to come to Japan for design, and I'm telling him how things are here. Uhhh...

And yeah, most TV sets are hideous, and again, lots of Japanese artists don't know color theory and you can tell by, for example, about any single TV program and look at the subtitles, the program logo, the 'visual effects' and notice how NOTHING fits with the surroundings. It's quite bad.. and the same goes for some illustrators and their lack of colors.

AGAIN, not ALL artists, but a lot. Of course, stuff like the illustrations of most of the big games like Monster Hunter, or Final Fantasy, etc.. look really nice and the colors are great. But that doesn't mean all Japanese artists are like that.

Zyzyxxz

dr3upmushroom said:

thats what I pretty much see it as.

If you look at college enrollment most students are getting into liberal arts and studies and avoiding the politics, business, and science stuff.

education is brainwashing too

BobLoblaw

Banned
Japan is one of (if not the) most nationalistic countries out there. I'm not saying that they're today's 1940's Germany, but they don't usually "buy" into other cultures (they mostly just export stuff). Only in the last decade or so has western influence been allowed to grow there, but even now stuff like makes them look even more ass backwards.

Troidal

Replicant said:

Sigh....yeah.

There is also a huge difference between being a student, being a part-time employee/freelance, and being a full-time employee (when I mean employed, that's a Japanese company).

I strongly believe that when a foreigner experiences all three, they will finally see a good portion of what Japanese society is like.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
dr3upmushroom said:
America's been doing this to Mexicans for decades...Actually nothing new as far as human history is concerned...

Bububu Japan is racist!

dr3upmushroom said:
America's been doing this to Mexicans for decades...Actually nothing new as far as human history is concerned...

Uhh, America's been doing this to illegal immigrants...they don't piss people off because they're Mexican, they piss people off because people feel like they shouldn't be getting certain rights/benefits despite not being legal citizens. This is COMPLETELY different. Not to mention, I don't really think there's a strong sense of nationalism in America, at least not to the point where people consider Americans xenophobic. We're too mixed for that to be possible

Replicant

thetrin said:
Japan has its definite disadvantages, but it's total horseshit that the nightmare you describe is somehow indicative of every foreigner's life. I wouldn't trade my last 3 years in Japan for anything in the world. It's been some of the best years of my life.

I never said it's indicative of every foreigner's life. I just said it's what I and some of my friends have experienced so far. And God knows how many foreigners have good experiences vs. those who had bad ones. Just as my experience is not indicative of every foreigner's life, neither is yours. For all we know, yours could be an exception.

Japan is a fantastic country to live in, but so far my good experience came not so much from its people but more from the natural beauty, the convenience, and the awesome foods that the country has to offer. And oh, life do tend a bit nicer if you also have friends from other countries that you can talk to. Some Japanese people were nice to us but there's this invisible barrier that neither I nor my friends can seem to penetrate.

Main groups of settlers and immigrants in Brazil, from 1500 to 1970

Nationality/origin Number of settlers Number of Brazilian descendants
Japanese 248,007 1.6 million.

Regions with significant populations
Japan 127 million
Significant Nikkei populations in:
Brazil 1,400,000 [16]
United States 1,200,000 [17]
Philippines 222,000 [18]

Send them all back to their stupid island!

I don't really understand the reasoning behind restricting immigration. Your economy cannot grow in the long term if your population growth remains flat. Kicking out dem damn ferigners taken ur jerbs might feel good in the short run but in the long run you're shooting yourself in the foot

zalemale

Yeah, I currently live in that city: Hamamatsu. There has definitely been a noticeable drop in Brazilians, Filipinos and Chinese here over the past year. This city has (or used to?) the highest population of Brazilians in Japan, many of them working in the huge factories here. But the city has been hit hard and they have been the first cut - pretty sad as I've known a few that are suffering as a result. Foreigners (especially no********ans and non-Americans) have always been looked down upon in Hamamatsu though, most likely as a result of the crime that has been committed over the years (with a few large, stand-out cases).

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
ElectricBlue187 said:
I don't really understand the reasoning behind restricting immigration. Your economy cannot grow in the long term if your population growth remains flat. Kicking out dem damn ferigners taken ur jerbs might feel good in the short run but in the long run you're shooting yourself in the foot

See I can understand why they are doing it.

Gotta take care of ya own b4 you can take care of anyone else, but I do understand what you are saying, they may hurt but atleast they could be back on their feet when they start bringing people in again.

thetrin

Replicant said:
Japan is a fantastic country to live in, but so far my good experience came not so much from its people but more from the natural beauty, the convenience, and the awesome foods that the country has to offer. And oh, life do tend a bit nicer if you also have friends from other countries that you can talk to. Some Japanese people were nice to us but there's this invisible barrier that neither I nor my friends can seem to penetrate.

That I totally agree with. Actually speaking Japanese to people makes a giant difference. I have a lot of Japanese friends in my neighborhood that took to me the first time I met them, but some Japanese people I've become friends with took breaking down the invisible barrier either by some magical occurence, or attrition.

There's no question that there are some Japanese people that will always dislike me for who I am, but there are also those that will blindly like me for who I am. Then there's my friends...the people in the middle that for some reason or another, just became friends with me because I seemed like an interesting dude to get to know.

I've also lived in the same place for THREE YEARS so one can infer that that time has made making friends in the area far easier. It's no secret that the good friends I have have a large interest in western culture in some way, which could be the reason we got to be close in the first place. It's less that the average Japanese person HATES foreigners, more that they don't know what to make of us.

Hell, many Japanese people don't even talk to each other.

ElectricBlue187 said:

Except it's not even a flat population growth. It's a SHRINKING population. Japan is about to enter a serious population crisis, but they don't seem to want to fix the problem.

Forkball

WHY HAS NO ONE SAID THE NAME OF THE GIRL IN THAT PICTURE?

Less erotically, it's pretty ridiculous that they would not reissue work visas. I don't get the point of that, you would think that they would want to have them back if the job shortage situation becomes better (at least for the jobs they're doing). It's just kind of stupid and you could end up with a job surplus one day and you would probably have to pay Japanese natives more, so you would be losing money.

As a side note, I thought the story was pretty interesting from the standpoint that there are over 300,000 Brazilians doing blue collar jobs in Japan. Unfortunately I had to learn about it in a depressing article.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
My personal experience was that, the moment I started speaking Japanese to people, they immediately opened up to me and were accepting of my presence there. It's almost like their brains said "Oh wait, he's NOT just a stupid Gaijin who can't speak the language!" and from there had no problem having friendly chats. The expressions said it all for me.

Zhengi

Zoramon089 said:
Uhh, America's been doing this to illegal immigrants...they don't piss people off because they're Mexican, they piss people off because people feel like they shouldn't be getting certain rights/benefits despite not being legal citizens. This is COMPLETELY different. Not to mention, I don't really think there's a strong sense of nationalism in America, at least not to the point where people consider Americans xenophobic. We're too mixed for that to be possible

Plus, we do a pretty bad job of sending illegal immigrants back home. They get a lot of rights and benefits that are not deserved.

I can't imagine how it would be for Americans if they went into another country illegally and started demanding rights and benefits. They'd be laughed out of the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom