• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan to foreign workers: We don't need you anymore; get out & don't come back ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zyzyxxz

ElectricBlue187 said:
I don't really understand the reasoning behind restricting immigration. Your economy cannot grow in the long term if your population growth remains flat. Kicking out dem damn ferigners taken ur jerbs might feel good in the short run but in the long run you're shooting yourself in the foot

the government doesn't want to budge, they know the population is in decline but they want to keep it homogenous at the same time.

Thats why they brought in all those Japanese-Brazilians because they could keep the population as pure as possible.

Isn't Japan facing an underpopulation issue right now? How does this move make any sense?

it doesn't. In a country of over 127 million they are expected to lose near 20 million of those people by 2050.

If this is hoe they treat thier own race's expatriates, I don't even want to know how they treat those lower end jobs from the rest of Asia that don't have any Japanese ancestry at all.

Fox318

Does that mean they are gonna kick CheapyD out of Japan?

1360622918_f8e6273c19.jpg

Zyzyxxz

Fox318 said:
Does that mean they are gonna kick CheapyD out of Japan?

1360622918_f8e6273c19.jpg

nah I think he's fine.

They mainly want to get rid of low end factory workers wh are probably unemployed and dont have any future job prospects ATM for fear of actually having poor hobos in their country.

Anyway what I don't understand is: why can't they come back ever? Doesn't the government want the cheap labor when the times are good?

Shouta

Been hearing about this recently myself and I find it a damn shame they`re doing this. If this country needs any one thing, it`s people from other parts of the world, at least in my opinion.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
vas_a_morir said:
Sounds like uneducated "3 k" labor jobs. But, I could see that happening in the future, too.

Kanto region is expanding their foreign teachers next year... so not in the near future. But yeah that is messed up. Really really messed up...

Shouta said:
Been hearing about this recently myself and I find it a damn shame they`re doing this. If this country needs any one thing, it`s people from other parts of the world, at least in my opinion.

In the opinion of most sensible people. The Japanese government knows very well it's facing a population crisis with projected negative growth, they have for a while. The protectionist instinct in the LDP is just too difficult to overcome. They won't budge until the crisis hits them full in the face, and maybe not even then.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
LiveFromKyoto said:
In the opinion of most sensible people. The Japanese government knows very well it's facing a population crisis with projected negative growth, they have for a while. The protectionist instinct in the LDP is just too difficult to overcome. They won't budge until the crisis hits them full in the face, and maybe not even then.

It's up to us to spread our seed and repopulate the country with half bloods.

nyong

Banned
To play devil's advocate here, I can certainly understand their actions. If they are anticipating massive low-end job loss, at best they're looking at costly social programs to support the unemployed non-citizens, or at worst (and quite plausibly) widespread social disorder and increased crime.

That said, I do not think what they are doing is right.

EDIT: And I think under-population only matters if they are looking at a healthy, steadily increasing economy. The forecast right now might well be over-population.

Blackace

sprsk said:
It's up to us to spread our seed and repopulate the country with half bloods.

didn't help them

But if she takes the money, Mrs. Yamaoka and her husband, Sergio — a Brazilian national of Japanese descent — must agree not to seek work in Japan again.

nyong said:
To play devil's advocate here, I can certainly understand their actions. If they are anticipating massive low-end job loss, at best they're looking at costly social programs to support the unemployed non-citizens, or at worst (and quite plausibly) widespread social disorder and increased crime.

That said, I do not think what they are doing is right.

EDIT: And I think under-population only matters if they are looking at a healthy, steadily increasing economy. The forecast right now might well be over-population.

that is the lamest devil's advocate I have ever seen... Aso would be proud.

Also to the edit. No matter how they do it they are not going to have enough money to pay social sercurity to the retiring people coming up here. They need able working bodies in their 20 - 30s to be here.. They are targeting a class that has gotten too big for the government to feel safe about...

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
“I do not think that Japan should ever become a multi-ethnic society” like the United States, which “has been a failure on the immigration front,” Mr. Kawasaki added. That failure, he said, was demonstrated by extreme income inequalities between rich Americans and poor immigrants.

Income inequality > population decline

America wins again!

But really now, that was alot of stupid that just came out of "Mr. Kawasaki's" mouth. Japan should stay a solo-ethnic society despite the population shrinkage because of America's income inequality problems, despite said problems not being as black and white as "immigrant vs rich guy" (what is this, the 1800s?).

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Plenty of "poor immigrants" see their kids live fine lives making as much as any other American.

It usually takes a generation or two at most.

nyong

Banned
Blackace said:
that is the lamest devil's advocate I have ever seen... Aso would be proud.

Also to the edit. No matter how they do it they are not going to have enough money to pay social sercurity to the retiring people coming up here. They need able working bodies in their 20 - 30s to be here.. They are targeting a class that has gotten too big for the government to feel safe about...

I have no idea who Aso is.

And specifically to the bolded part, are you saying that their actions are the result of racism-fueled fear of a growing underclass?

Blackace

nyong said:
I have no idea who Aso is.

And specifically to the bolded part, are you saying that their actions are the result of racism-fueled fear of a growing underclass?

Aso is the current PM... and pretty much they are targeting Latin Americans, mostly ones from Brazil.

There are plenty of Chinese, Korean and African factory workers. But they have their heart set on sending the Latinos back.. who knows maybe they are offering other people this as well.. but nothing has been reported as much..

rpmurphy

LiveFromKyoto said:
You live in Japan now? I'm guessing you're in the inaka or a recent arrival. Stay a couple of years, and you'll start to realize just how much of the country the Yakuza have a hand in, from government and business right down to the hot dog stand at every neighbourhood matsuri.

The Yakuza get away with it for three main reasons:

1. Politics in Japan are expensive, and it's nearly impossible to run without taking Yak money. A lot of politicians at every level are in their pockets.

2. They're often better organized and motivated than the police are, and the populace is completely cowed.

3. There's a certain level of tolerance because A) organized crime is easier to deal with than the disorganized chinpira; the Yakuza at least keep the guns and drugs at a reasonable level, and B) at least they're Japanese. If it's not them running it, the triads and Koreans and Thai mobs will take over, and then the shit will really hit the fan.
Yep. It's the major reason why our family got the fuck out of there. We weren't going to take our chances when we had few friends on our side (none of whom would have been able or willing to do anything anyway) and the people who were threatening to come after us -- and specifically, me, being the child -- probably had Yakuza on their side (and even if they really didn't, we sure weren't going to take the bluff on that). It's a terrible situation with how much influence they have, but what can you do but to accept it or escape from it. And definitely the latter if you're not welcomed to live there.

rpmurphy said:
Yep. It's the major reason why our family got the fuck out of there. We weren't going to take our chances when we had few friends on our side (none of whom would have been able or willing to do anything anyway) and the people who were threatening to come after us -- and specifically, me, being the child -- probably had Yakuza on their side (and even if they really didn't, we sure weren't going to take the bluff on that). It's a terrible situation with how much influence they have, but what can you do but to accept it or escape from it. And definitely the latter if you're not welcomed to live there.

How did you run afoul of the Yakuza?

rpmurphy said:

Errr - details please?

rpmurphy

LiveFromKyoto said:
How did you run afoul of the Yakuza?
Not Yakuza itself, but people likely to have connections with them. Specifically, the person who arranged for us to immigrate to Japan. The arrangement was politically-motivated so it turned out and we refused to do our end.

dr3upmushroom said:
America's been doing this to Mexicans for decades...Actually nothing new as far as human history is concerned...

Couldn't agree more. Why are you guys saying that Japan is shitty for kicking foreigners out but don't say shit about the US doing the same?

Green Biker Dude said:
I'm pretty sure a lot of people say this is okay because Japan is doing it. If it was any other country they'd be grabbing their e-pitchforks.

well you do know half the posters here are Japanophiles don't you? Everything Japan does is sugoi in their eyes.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Replicant said:
I never said it's indicative of every foreigner's life. I just said it's what I and some of my friends have experienced so far. And God knows how many foreigners have good experiences vs. those who had bad ones. Just as my experience is not indicative of every foreigner's life, neither is yours. For all we know, yours could be an exception.

Japan is a fantastic country to live in, but so far my good experience came not so much from its people but more from the natural beauty, the convenience, and the awesome foods that the country has to offer. And oh, life do tend a bit nicer if you also have friends from other countries that you can talk to. Some Japanese people were nice to us but there's this invisible barrier that neither I nor my friends can seem to penetrate.
How's your Japanese?

PROOP

FREAKING OUT MAN
thetrin said:
Except it's not even a flat population growth. It's a SHRINKING population. Japan is about to enter a serious population crisis, but they don't seem to want to fix the problem.

It's funny how shrinking populations become crisis in an overpopulated world. >o<

salva said:
Couldn't agree more. Why are you guys saying that Japan is shitty for kicking foreigners out but don't say shit about the US doing the same?

Yeah, we Americans tend to kick out illegal immigrants like the Japanese kick out legal immigrants.

I'm so sorry.

Chumly

salva said:
wat

Please tell us how kicking out LEGAL immigrants is the same as kicking out ILLEGAL immigrants?

God forbid the day that the US decides to kick out legal immigrants the way Japan is doing. Can you imagine the shit storm on this board of hate for the US?

norinrad21 said:
well you do know half the posters here are Japanophiles don't you? Everything Japan does is sugoi in their eyes.
I would've gone with "kawaii!" or however it's spelled.

oh shit pagebanner ad :lol

Zyzyxxz

salva said:

First of all, we are kicking out Mexicans because they are here illegally and crossed the border illegally.

Secondly, Japan invited the South Americans of Japanese descent back in the first place, read my previous post about wanting cheap labor but not wanting non-japanese immigrants.

These Japanese-Brazilians were lured by the strong currency and better wages, compared to Brazil's unstable economy and were welcomed by the Japanese government. They took the plane and legally immigrated to Japan to work. Illegal mexicans on the other hand jumped a fence and just settled here. It's a whole different scenario so dont use this as an opportunity to bash America when its clearly not relevant.

So yeah Japan is shitty for kicking out foreigners who were allowed and wanted in the first place.

Neo C.

Their loss. When the economy is back to the better, Japan will have trouble to use its potential simply because of the lack of workers available.

Chumly said:
Please tell us how kicking out LEGAL immigrants is the same as kicking out ILLEGAL immigrants?

God forbid the day that the US decides to kick out legal immigrants the way Japan is doing. Can you imagine the shit storm on this board of hate for the US?
While I agree that it isn't the same, the difference between a legal and an illegal immigrant often isn't as big as people might think. Bureaucracy makes a big deal of it, and often it's all about whether the country wants them or not.

Usually the worse the economy is, the harsher and stricter the laws are. Which means immigrants who were legally in a country twenty years ago would be illegal under today's circumstances. My parents were immigrants too, and I'm not sure if they could be here (and get the citizenship) if they came ten years later.

cicerone

Zyzyxxz said:
First of all, we are kicking out Mexicans because they are here illegally and crossed the border illegally.

Secondly, Japan invited the South Americans of Japanese descent back in the first place, read my previous post about wanting cheap labor but not wanting non-japanese immigrants.

These Japanese-Brazilians were lured by the strong currency and better wages, compared to Brazil's unstable economy and were welcomed by the Japanese government. They took the plane and legally immigrated to Japan to work. Illegal mexicans on the other hand jumped a fence and just settled here. It's a whole different scenario so dont use this as an opportunity to bash America when its clearly not relevant.

So yeah Japan is shitty for kicking out foreigners who were allowed and wanted in the first place.
Oh, stop talking like Japan is kicking out foreiners.

Illegal immigrants cannot stay even if they want, but in this case, these Japanese-Brazillians can do if they want. Japanese goverment just said that they would give 300,000 yen to those who want to go back home and find a new job there. What's wrong with it? That NYT article only introduces people who are blaming Japanese goverment, but there are also people who consider this program as a good chance. (Link)

Can't work in Japan again? What if they get money and come back in a half month. That's better than work.

Zyzyxxz

cicerone said:
Oh, stop talking like Japan is kicking out foreiners.

Illegal immigrants cannot stay even if they want, but in this case, these Japanese-Brazillians can do if they want. Japanese goverment just said that they would give 300,000 yen to those who want to go back home and find a new job there. What's wrong with it? That NYT article only introduces people who are blaming Japanese goverment, but there are also people who consider this program as a good chance. (Link)

Can't work in Japan again? What if they get money and come back in a half month. That's better than work.

As if the prospects in Brazil are any better, South American economies suck anyway and Brazil, although its suppose to be a real growth market, is also very volatile right now.

Also 300,000 probably doesn't even cover the cost of airfare for an entire family. Basically its voluntary kickout because what really changes when they get off the plane in Brazil? The 300,000 they got from the government is gone and they aren't gonna have a job either way.

Never allowing them to seek work in Japan again? That's bullshit and the politicans are gonna go back on their word once the economy recovers and they are begging to pay them 300,000 yen to fly back over to work shit jobs.

Neo C. said:
Their loss. When the economy is back to the better, Japan will have trouble to use its potential simply because of the lack of workers available.

There'll always be a lineup of people from China, South/Southeast Asia and Oceania waiting to take those jobs. Japan will never have an issue filling them as long as they're paying better than back home.

Not that it matters. Anybody who's motivated enough to stay long term in Japan in the first place is likely not going to leave. Things like this move are pissing into the wind against globalization.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom