• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jason Schreier: There are no delays planned for GTA VI

Draugoth

Gold Member

GJyCL8mWQAAGHY4

Earlier this week, shares of the video-game publisher Take-Two Interactive Software Inc. plummeted 5.2% following a report that Grand Theft Auto VI is behind schedule and could be delayed to 2026. The takeaway here is that, not for the first time, when it comes to video games the stock market often makes no sense.

In reality, video games are always behind schedule and risk getting delayed at any time — especially when they’re as ambitious and under as much pressure as the next Grand Theft Auto. And there is so much time between now and the end of 2025 that even if the production was somehow going perfectly, it would be impossible for anyone to state definitively that the game will be ready in 21 months.

Last edited:

Sephimoth

shares of the video-game publisher Take-Two Interactive Software Inc. plummeted 5.2% following a report that Grand Theft Auto VI is behind schedule
Was this that BS rumour Kotaku made up as a last desperate attempt to stay relevant?

SUE SUE SUE

"Jason Schrier confirms that there are no current delays"
Schrier: "This week, I asked a few other people at the company what they made of the rumor mill and was mostly met with shrugs"
This is confirmation?

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
GTAV was in the same position 11 years ago though. It got delayed multiple times.
GTA6 is way bigger and more important than GTA5 ever was. It's not just hype—it's a life jacket for the whole industry. Sony's banking on it to move PRO consoles, Gamestop needs it to keep their stores afloat. This game is a game-changer, way more important than GTA5 was upon its launch.

It's too massive to be pushed back. They'll launch it on time and iron out any issues with patches later on. Too many investors counting on a specific date, that im sure will not look good if missed

Last edited:
GTA6 is way bigger and more important than GTA5 ever was. It's not just hype—it's a life jacket for the whole industry. Sony's banking on it to move PRO consoles, Gamestop needs it to keep their stores afloat. This game is a game-changer, way more important than GTA5 was upon its launch.

It's too massive to be pushed back. They'll launch it on time and iron out any issues with patches later on. Too many investors counting on a specific date, that im sure will not look good if missed

That in itself kind of highlights how big a problem the industry has in various areas (when it comes to AAA development), if it is relying on a single game to hit the numbers desired.

Nobody "plans" a delay, you clown.

I get what you’re saying, but I guess what he means is that he isn’t hearing a delay is any more likely here than with any game. That’s big because he is the kind of insider who would have heard if things were going really poorly and a delay were all but assured.

I stand by the fact I’d be shocked if GTA 6 didn’t make 2025 at all. The most I could see is an internal delay from first half 2025 to second half 2025 (probably September or October).

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
If VI doesn't get delayed, then I will know the R* I once loved is truly dead and gone.
At the time of RDR2's release, GTA VI was slated for 2022. It's already been delayed more behind-the-scenes than what GTA IV, RDR, GTA V and RDR2 combined have been delayed in the public eye.

The Rockstar you love is more alive than ever, and proof of that is VI's reveal trailer.

Last edited:

DaciaJC

Gold Member
That this rumor apparently caused T2 stocks to "plummet" is sad and hilarious in equal measure. I can imagine a legion of stockbrokers, their faces hovering inches from their screens, their agitated fingers hovering above the mouse when the news drops.

BREAKING: Take-Two CEO suffers stubbed toe on way to work, is reportedly inconvenienced and 'in mild pain'!

59e4b1741f84891f008b5b11

This game is too big to be delayed. It will launch on time
For real, Do you have any idea how often this isn’t true. RDR2, for instance. Publicly delayed at least twice. By more than a year.

If anything it’s the opposite. The more riding on a big game like this, the more important it is to take the time you need to get it right, even if that means a delay. Witcher 3 was delayed like 3 times. Clearly worth it in the end.

Launch in a bad state and it’s nearly impossible to fix the public image and restore trust.

Last edited:

Muffdraul

At the time of RDR2's release, GTA VI was slated for 2022. It's already been delayed more behind-the-scenes than what GTA IV, RDR, GTA V and RDR2 combined have been delayed in the public eye.

The Rockstar you love is more alive than ever, and proof of that is VI's reveal trailer.
Yeah, secret non-publicized delays behind the scenes are not what I'm referring to broham. R* has to announce a release date, or at least a specific window ("spring 2025") and then play kick the can with it. At least 6 months. And maybe more than once. This ain't my first rodeo.

Top Bottom