• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Grubb walks back his Perfect Dark looking "rough" comments

Topher

Gold Member

Following Nate the Hate's comments that he heard Perfect Dark was looking good, Grubb says he has now talked to more people and many of them agree with that.

Who Knows Idk GIF

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
This game being potentially great is the only reason why im holding on to my X. looking forward to seeing it

ill know within the first 10 seconds of gameplay whether its for me or not.

Last edited:

rm082e

Why does anyone still listen to this goober?

As someone who can deliver information we're not supposed to have yet, he seems to have more reliable sources than random people who are clearly guessing and trying to back it up with lies. I don't expect anyone who uses anonymous sources to be right more than 60% of the time, and I always take what they say with a big chunk of salt. Sometimes these things are just interesting to hear.

Topher

Gold Member
He's not even walking it back. He's still saying "yeah it's rough, but that's game development"

This isn't the first time he was walked back comments that were refuted elsewhere. He did the same thing when Aaron Greenberg disputed his claim that Hi Fi Rush didn't do as well as MS had hoped. So yeah.....he gets a lot of things right, but he also has a tendency to try and cover his ass.

This isn't the first time he was walked back comments that were refuted elsewhere. He did the same thing when Aaron Greenberg disputed his claim that Hi Fi Rush didn't do as well as MS had hoped. So yeah.....he gets a lot of things right, but he also has a tendency to try and cover his ass.

But he ended up being right about Hifi Rush, as well

Sounds more like he just succumbs to pressure.

Kinda pointless with how MS works.

They could release it 6 months earlier than fit, only to fix later.

Only way a game is truly in trouble at MS if they cancel it.

simpatico

Name is familiar, but I've never seen the guy until this thread. This Grubb fella is in desperate need of cardio and a meal plan. Did a little searching and I captured this image.

vSaFbDH.png

I want you guys to focus on the right arm. If you're overweight, and your arm looks like a pale, amorphous blob, you need a lifestyle change and the self awareness to not be seen in a tank top. Just 20 minutes an evening doing push ups and sit ups makes a big difference. This Jeff fella seems to have several dream jobs, but he's really shortening what could be a great life with dietary and sedentary choices. Recording what will be a publicly available call with your beard looking like that? Cringe. Just a few minutes of grooming goes a long way! Could be the hairs have been soaked in so many seed oils and phthalates that it's impossible to make them look good. Hard to say. Gamers, if you look like this, you don't have to get too down on yourself, but make the change. You'll never regret it.

schaft0620

Sounds like Phil DMed him or somebody at Xbox and said it was going to be at the showcase.

The reality is though, it doesn't take someone working on the game to know there are problems.

Timeline
  • Brand new AAAAAA studio founded in 2018
  • 2020 Pandemic
  • Area impacted for 4 months in 2020 due to wildfires on top of the pandemic
  • New remote life structure
  • In 2020, Phil says Xbox is seeing a 70% decrease in productivity due to the pandemic.
  • Top staff leave AAAAA studio to go work at Sony, the game they left to work on is now out.
  • Square Enix starts working on the game as a contract studio
  • External Dev team sold off to Embracer
  • Embracer has their own struggles
  • 6 years later between 80 and 150 people are working at this AAAAA developer Microsoft is trying to build along with X people at Embracer
  • Microsoft goes through a re-org shifts entire focus to AI
  • Today - "Game is not in trouble"

So next month they will show some clip of the game that is just an "idea of the game" like they did with Fable last year. I need to see gameplay of both Perfect Dark and Fable before I believe anything. The gameplay needs to be longer than 3 minutes, it needs to have a complete UI. This is for both games.

This is the second time leadership at Xbox has tried to discredit Jeff and Jeff just backs down because he is only reporting what is in front of us.

Last edited:

Boglin

Name is familiar, but I've never seen the guy until this thread. This Grubb fella is in desperate need of cardio and a meal plan. Did a little searching and I captured this image.

vSaFbDH.png

I want you guys to focus on the right arm. If you're overweight, and your arm looks like a pale, amorphous blob, you need a lifestyle change and the self awareness to not be seen in a tank top. Just 20 minutes an evening doing push ups and sit ups makes a big difference. This Jeff fella seems to have several dream jobs, but he's really shortening what could be a great life with dietary and sedentary choices. Recording what will be a publicly available call with your beard looking like that? Cringe. Just a few minutes of grooming goes a long way! Could be the hairs have been soaked in so many seed oils and phthalates that it's impossible to make them look good. Hard to say. Gamers, if you look like this, you don't have to get too down on yourself, but make the change. You'll never regret it.
After reading this I can finally make the changes I need to turn my life around.

clarky

Banned
Timeline
  • Brand new AAAAAA studio founded in 2018
  • 2020 Pandemic
  • Area impacted for 4 months in 2020 due to wildfires on top of the pandemic
  • New remote life structure
  • In 2020, Phil says Xbox is seeing a 70% decrease in productivity due to the pandemic.
  • Top staff leave AAAAA studio to go work at Sony, the game they left to work on is now out.
  • Square Enix starts working on the game as a contract studio
  • External Dev team sold off to Embracer
  • Embracer has their own struggles
  • 6 years later between 80 and 150 people are working at this AAAAA developer Microsoft is trying to build along with X people at Embracer
  • Microsoft goes through a re-org shifts entire focus to AI
  • Today - "Game is not in trouble"
Not saying everything is rosy but half this shit happened to most of the industry.

The time line is about right so far for a sizable project from a new studio btw. Even Horizion ZD took 7 years from pitch to the shelf from an established studio with their own engine that they knew inside out. That's without a pandemic chucked in.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

vSaFbDH.png

The guy for sure needs to take better care of his heart, you only get one :)

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Gamers also seem to be the last to know that game development now takes 6 - 8 years for a new, built from the ground up game. Development is only lengthening as time passes. Some of ya'll are still living in the "If it's not out in 4 years it's in dev hell" mentality from 2002.

Gambit2483

Gamers also seem to be the last to know that game development now takes 6 - 8 years for a new, built from the ground up game. Development is only lengthening as time passes. Some of ya'll are still living in the "If it's not out in 4 years it's in dev hell" mentality from 2002.
And yet many of those games still release incredibly flawed or mediocre/bad e.g.

Cyberpunk 2077
Suicide Squad
Starfield
Redfall
Hellblade 2?

If a game is going to take 6-8 years to make it needs to be at least above average quality at launch.

Last edited:
It’s not even a particularily enticing IP. Or am I missing some strong draw, other than it once having had the benefit of being a competent game in the infancy stage of console fps?

Last edited:
I get that, I will just never understand why they persist with this IP. They gave it a shot for the 360, and it was a stinker. With troubled development, no less.

Last edited:

TexMex

vSaFbDH.png

This can’t be a real post

Kssio_Aug

vSaFbDH.png

american gladiators pain GIF
Personal Trainer Beauty GIF by LindaDurbesson

Last edited:
Top Bottom