• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jezebel: "I'm [racist against mixed relationships when it doesn't suit my agenda]"

Status
Not open for further replies.

LQX

I honestly do not know what to make of the fact people of color are often paired off with white love interests especially when they're the lead. Why?

There's good points in that article, but using a movie that's written by an interracial couple based on their personal love story is kind of a gross jumping off point for the conversation.

Lime

This is a gross opinion, no matter the identity and background of the person holding it.

I'm sorry, but this is real rich coming from you, considering your past complaints about "the left not caring about identity politics" (or whatever narrative you use to oppose it) and then see you in here calling criticisms related to identity politics and how white supremacy affects brown/black men and women for "gross".

FZZ

Banned
Brown girls don't like me and idk why

I matched with ONE cute brown girl on bumble and she never messaged me, other brown girls usually say hi then just ghost. Shits whack

idk but most brown girls I know go for white guys and it's annoying af

Because of this I have adapted and latinas, southeast/east asian, and black girls have been the go to for me

I lowkey can't trust white people after Trump

Infinite

There's good points in that article, but using a movie that's written by an interracial couple based on their personal love story is kind of a gross jumping off point for the conversation.

Shes using this movie while pointing out a bigger trend. Like some exec read the screen play of this film and decided it should be greenlight

We need more black women scoring Asian men. Jet Li was robbed.

Jet Li, "As regarding the kiss or no kiss situation in RMD, actually it is not as complicated as people have been suggesting. It was not really a race issue, or a Hollywood issue. Rather, regarding the kiss that was supposed to happen between Han and Trish at that end scene, the truth was, we shot it both ways. One with the kiss, and one without the kiss but the hug instead.

Why did we finally decide not to use the kiss? Well, afterward the entire film was put together, with all the drama and tension in that last scene with Han's father, we thought it might be somewhat strange and awkward for Han to have just witnessed Chou's suicide, then to come out and kiss Trish. Thus it was decided that Han should take it slowly with Trish ... do a hug first and maybe leading into a "real" relationship later. So it was not really a decision by the powers that be to prevent an inter-racial relationship from happening on screen. It just did not feel right for that moment."

Ivan 3414

I matched with ONE cute brown girl on bumble and she never messaged me, other brown girls usually say hi then just ghost. Shits whack

Because of this I have adapted and latinas, southeast/east asian, and black girls have been the go to for me

Lmao.

No, I've always seen the opposite and rarely non-white men with white women. Of course the racist narcissist author is silent on that.

I honestly do not know what to make of the fact people of color are often paired off with white love interests especially when they're the lead. Why?

Ill conceived notion that having all minorities makes it less watchable to white people.

LionPride

Banned
I mean, as a black person I deal with the problem. And I get the issue a lot of times, especially if it looks like a black or brown person doesn't go after anyone but white people and seeing that on screen can be disheartening as hell.

Like if I heard a black woman or man say they don't date no one but white people, hell I'd feel some type of way

This article comes from a weird place though, like the movie that's basically a biopic was ya last straw?

But women of color have always been desired in film. It's men of color -- primarily Asian men -- that are underrepresented as romantic interests.

A lot of the time it's weird fetish shit tho

karasu

I think Will Smith used to say that executives thought if both characters were black then it would be considered a black movie and therefore less profitable.

Aki-at

I hardly see non-white male characters hook up with a white female character so it's not something that's so common it's become tiring to watch. I'd love to see more of it.

But since the movie is based on someone's life it cripples her argument.

Permanently A

I think her point is salient but using an autobiographical movie for it is kind of a dead end. What was he supposed to do, not write about his life?

Bronx-Man

Banned
I get where she's coming, but it's pretty goddamn embarrassing to use a biopic of a couple that got married IRL for your argument.

Clearly, the solution is to have more situations like Harold Lee tracking down Maria Quesadilla.

harold-and-kumar-go-to-white-castle-4.jpg

That's one hot Quesadilla.

Deepwater

But women of color have always been desired in film. It's men of color -- primarily Asian men -- that are underrepresented as romantic interests.

This is one of those times where lumping all non white ethnicities leads to a not so great point. There are lots of different and specific cultural issues regarding the dynamics of relationship portrayals of people of color depending on which color you're talking about.

The portrayal of black women + relationships is different from asian women + relationships. And this isn't an attempt to rank or compare them in terms of "wrongness" just different contexts of how each group's intersection of identities plays into the historical and modern depiction of colored people in relationships in media.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Jet Li, "As regarding the kiss or no kiss situation in RMD, actually it is not as complicated as people have been suggesting. It was not really a race issue, or a Hollywood issue. Rather, regarding the kiss that was supposed to happen between Han and Trish at that end scene, the truth was, we shot it both ways. One with the kiss, and one without the kiss but the hug instead.

Why did we finally decide not to use the kiss? Well, afterward the entire film was put together, with all the drama and tension in that last scene with Han's father, we thought it might be somewhat strange and awkward for Han to have just witnessed Chou's suicide, then to come out and kiss Trish. Thus it was decided that Han should take it slowly with Trish ... do a hug first and maybe leading into a "real" relationship later. So it was not really a decision by the powers that be to prevent an inter-racial relationship from happening on screen. It just did not feel right for that moment."

Perhaps, but I still think that's awfully convenient.

This article is one of those few examples where the point is going to be missed because the kick off example is so fucking bad. Like it's the worst example ever.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Interracial progress is still progress. Baby steps...

Usually when i see a interracial relationship movie (like that one written by beyonce for example), its about some crazy white chick trying to steal the black woman's man and the black woman trying to defend her property.

But otherwise, yeah black women are not really represented all that much in movies in general, let alone relationships, we should have black women + white men, black women + asian men ect in addition to other forms of interracial love too.

LOL Nowhere near the other depictions. So much so that I'd doubt it'd ever be called out.

I don't think it's up to you to determine when someone feels marginalized or stereotyped. The issue with on screen couples being segregated by race is a general one and usually not a matter of specific couples. Seeing the two minorities of the same race continually get together over and over and over seemingly solely because they happen to have the same ethnic background is a subtle but real problem. In general, more interracial couple representation would help combat the stereotypes of ethnic segregation

That's one hot Quesadilla.

Have you ever had a kimchi quesadilla? Shit is bomb, yo

TyrantII

At some point ideology comes full circle and you're right back at the point that we started at.

Reminds me of the Evergreen College nonsense, where the oppressed just want to be the oppressors because of some twisted idea of Justice.

Shes using this movie while pointing out a bigger trend. Like some exec read the screen play of this film and decided it should be greenlight
Sure, but there is a stark difference between an interracial couple writing about their love story and one being concocted by someone. I don't think it's fair to put them under the same banner even if it's technically part of a larger trend.

It's not really speaking to the same problem because the reason it exists is totally different then why most media with the same problem exists.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The author's example is like every cat jumping fail gif and you tried meme put together.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom

WTF where do you live?

I don't think it's up to you to determine when someone feels marginalized or stereotyped. The issue with on screen couples being segregated by race is a general one and usually not a matter of specific couples. Seeing the two minorities of the same race continually get together over and over and over seemingly solely because they happen to have the same ethnic background is a subtle but real problem. In general, more interracial couple representation would help combat the stereotypes of ethnic segregation.

It's almost like you made this problem up. Minorities already have an issue with representation in general in American media, yet alone some supposed issue that arrives from them being on screen together in relationships. LOL

Infinite

I hardly see non-white male characters hook up with a white female character so it's not something that's so common it's become tiring to watch. I'd love to see more of it.

I think her point is salient but using an autobiographical movie for it is kind of a dead end. What was he supposed to do, not write about his life?

I get where she's coming, but it's pretty goddamn embarrassing to use a biopic of a couple that got married IRL for your argument.

some exec saw the movie as opportunity and green light the shit out of it though. I really don't see how it betrays her argument to use this movie as an example where shes talking about a trends.

We need more black women scoring Asian men. Jet Li was robbed.

dims

She should've complained about The Mindy Project then. That girl is clearly only into white dudes

Deepwater

I don't think it's up to you to determine when someone feels marginalized or stereotyped. The issue with on screen couples being segregated by race is a general one and usually not a matter of specific couples. Seeing the two minorities of the same race continually get together over and over and over seemingly solely because they happen to have the same ethnic background is a subtle but real problem. In general, more interracial couple representation would help combat the stereotypes of ethnic segregation

Have you ever had a kimchi quesadilla? Shit is bomb, yo

🙄

people tend to interact (also, date) people within their communities. Because of segregation (guess who's responsible for that) people tend to marry within racial/ethnic groups not only because of close proximity but shared cultural experience.

lets not make this topic into shipping colored people with white people is what's gonna kill racism, it's quite frankly depressing.

They are?

While I can't speak to the wider point nor have I seen this movie, but the trailer made a point to show how 'kooky' and socially awkward the one brown woman they show was.

With the implication possibly being no wonder he chose a white woman, look at who the alternatives are.

Nipo

some exec saw the movie as opportunity and green light the shit out of it though. I really don't see how it betrays her argument to use this movie as an example where shes talking about a trends.

Real people's story should never be used to illustrate your point about trends in fictional storytelling. You're criticizing two very really people's love because you don't like how hollywood depicts interactional relationships in general. There are dozens of other movies/shows to use as a jumping off point to have this discussion leave real people out of it.

I don't understand what's wrong with her example though.

It's like gaming side here where you take one example that people legitimately enjoy and people are immediately dismissive because "well, that example is just bad", when, in reality, it's not because the film itself feeds into the media's standard for presenting White women as the ultimate prize for PoC men to be assimilated into White culture.

The issue is when you use someone's actual life to make a point of the fetishing of white women and downplaying of minorities you are reflecting blame on that person. Even if you don't mean to saying "your life on the big screen is a problem" is going to be in poor taste prettt much always. It doesn't betray her argument but it comes across as mean spirited.

I 100% understand the point being made and do think it's worth being addressed, but wow a movie based on a true story is not the best one to use as an introduction into this conversation.

-Brown man in love with a white woman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom