• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Wick vs James Bond

John Wick vs James Bond

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Argus

John_Wick_1413993098423_jpg_cf.jpg

Vs

tom_cruise_Collateral_03_jpg_cf.jpg

Ooo this is much better. Would be a great fight, but Wick wins.

It's hard to compare these things. Wick is more superhuman in his ability to clear a room, even if he's as vulnerable as the rest. When he gets his flow with a pistol it's hard to see how anyone listed here could even hope.

The times he gets fucked up in the film he's either exhausted already or injured (first, not seen the second yet).

Hand to hand he'd get murdered by a few of these listed, but with a gun, focused, fresh... no chance.
I think Bourne takes Wick hand to hand. That's John's weakness. He's bested in the first film by Viggo's top henchman in unarmed combat, and
Casian holds his own against him in Chapter 2
. In his defense we've never seen anyone actually take on a non-winded/injured Wick in hand to hand.

But like you said, give Wick a gun and it's over for pretty much anyone listed in this thread. His speed and extreme efficiency as a marksman is unrivaled.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Alice from the Resident Evil movies should be added to the poll. Just so 3 out of the 4 options can be movies that Ruby Rose has been a part of...in the last month.

Nameless

Jesus Christ

The poll is missing Jason Bourne

Bourne puts up a much better fight than fucking James Bond but the outcome is the same -- bullet combo to face. I honestly can't think of anyone on Wick's level this side of the MCU and I say that as a Jack Bauer fanboy.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I think Bourne takes Wick hand to hand. That's John's weakness. He's bested in the first film by Viggo's top henchman in unarmed combat, and
Casian holds his own against him in Chapter 2
. In his defense we've never seen anyone actually take on a non-winded/injured Wick in hand to hand.

But like you said, give Wick a gun and it's over for pretty much anyone listed in this thread. His speed and extreme efficiency as a marksman is unrivaled.

If we are talking about anyone mentioned in this thread Golgo 13/Duke Togo could probably take out John Wick with an entire arsenal using a sling shot. Then again Duke Togo is kind of broken in terms of his abilities.

Or a knife fight or any situation where office supplies are within reach.

Did you hear about the time Wick killed 3 men with a pencil

no the other time

Bourne couldn't win against Wick because after 0.3 seconds Bourne would pause waiting for a quick cut to another take

I think the more interesting question is, could John Wick beat Neo if they are both in The Matrix?

John Wick is a mob hitman who kills people for a living.
Bond is a government spy who kills bad guys.

Wick is a perfect example of a grey character by modern standards. People in general love him, due to his antics, gun play and skill. However, he is a bad guy through and through. They just made him somewhat human b/c his wife and dog died is all. We shouldn't root for guys like him, but its fun though right?

Bond is a cool dude, does mostly good but he is just too played out for his own good. When you cram that persona down movie goers throats for decades you basically pave a path for a grey character like Wick to emerge with a thunder.

Everything comes in cycles, in a few years rooting for the good guy will come back in fashion too. I prefer Wick for the record.

Edit. Rambo would destroy Wick, come at me.

nded

Bourne puts up a much better fight than fucking James Bond but the outcome is the same -- bullet combo to face. I honestly can't think of anyone on Wick's level this side of the MCU and I say that as a Jack Bauer fanboy.

Thomas Jane's Punisher from Dirty Laundry might stand a chance.

Haven't seen Chapter 2 though. Apparently some wild shit goes down.

ArjanN

The more the characters rely on plot armour and cartoon physics the less these types of comparisons work.

In a straight up battle I feel John Wick would probably have the upper hand since Bond seems slightly more down to earth in that regard. (depending on the specific Bond version)

John Wick could probably kill every version of Bond by himself in a scene where he was being pursued by them.

But John Matrix...he doesn't have to reload, while John Wick has to rely on fetishistic dedication to gun rules. I think he might have the advantage there.

J.EM1

I've seen this gif a number of times, and the movie at least a dozen times. I know this is supposed to be the ultimate way to take down two assailants from a holstered position, but everytime I have to wonder if Vincent would have been dead if the second guy wouldn't have flumoxed his draw.
That's why you train consistently. Vincent probably trained for years and continued his training throughout his tenure as a contractor. The other guy, not so much. Probably only carried his pistol in the appendix position just for the sake of convenience and never practiced how to draw effectively.

Ooo this is much better. Would be a great fight, but Wick wins.

I think I agree. Been actually thinking about this fight all day (a shame it would never happen, it would be badass) and I see Wick getting the better of him.

Headcanon, but Vincent seems like the kind of hitman who uses his aggression to overwhelm his targets. Seeing him come at you is pretty frightening and would leave a normal target frozen. I feel like John probably used to be like that back in the day but mellowed out in his later years. Maybe when he found love. Regardless, he was still the best and probably became better with his newer "detached and calculated" approach.

Would be rad to see play out on the big screen.

Nepenthe

Wick is so on point with getting the most efficient kills possible to effectively mow entire mobs down that I don't see how any Bond really comes close. Even in close quarters combat, the moment Bond gets grappled it's over. And on top of it, Wick's got a higher pain tolerance.

I mean, when seasoned mobsters and murderers hear Wick's name they basically shit themselves. Has Bond ever had that effect on anyone?

I love that this thread represents the microcosm of the James Bond story.

None of the bad guys expect him to win, but he always does. Whether it's Connery electrocuting a goon in a bath tub or Craig smashing someone's face into a urinal, he always finds a way to escape with his life.

That resourcefulness is his biggest strength.

For more than 50 years, highly-trained baddies have got the drop on him.

He's has been locked in death rooms over and over again with just seconds to react.

He's not superhuman or the best shot in the world, but he always wins... which isn't a bad quality to have. lol

This is a fantastic comparison.

I think it would be an interesting movie/fight because I feel like Vincent (Cruise) was purposefully (subconsciously or not) not fighting at his full potential in the movie as I think the more time that Vincent spent with Max (Foxx) he started thinking of him as a sort of friend (probably his only one) whereas with Wick the gloves would come off.

Speevy

Banned
This is a fantastic comparison.

I think it would be an interesting movie/fight because I feel like Vincent (Cruise) was purposefully (subconsciously or not) not fighting as his full potential in the movie as I think the more time that Vincent spent with Max (Foxx) he started thinking of him as a sort of friend (probably his only one) whereas with Wick the gloves would come off.

It's funny that Reeves is such a peaceful guy in real life and comes across as so angry in the John Wick Wilms, whereas Cruise's Vincent is one of his more subdued action characters.

I vote James Bond because he has more resources, James and JohnM have the far better plot armor if that plays a role.

John M gets the tropical island buff if the fight happens there, James get a buff the more his opponents villain it up and aces traps, Wick gets buffed the more arbitrary his motivation is.

XXX runs away with it if its a Xgames situation.

But Wick is just a Smith ripoff anyways so he is barely above XXX

ShootEmUp_MF.jpg

Smith would win any gun battle if he was in this.

John Matrix!

12.gif

It's funny but I only just watched Commando for the first time a couple of months ago, I couldn't stop laughing through 80% of the movie, I love how it's completely over the top all the time!, My favourite line from it is:

Bad Guy: If you want your kid back you're going to co-operate, right?

John (Arnie): Wrong. *Shoots him in the head*

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
James Bond has a huge weakness John Wick doesn't:

He's a womanizer and is constantly distracted by women.

I love John Wick but Jason Bourne would destroy him.

All you have to do is compare reactions when people hear his name.

John Wicks enemies:

"John Wick? Oh..." or "John Wick? Shit"

Jason Bourne's enemies? "JESUS CHRIST ITS JASON BOURNE"

John Wicks enemies:

You mean

NSA Agents "Is that Jason Bourne! use the million dollar satellites to confirm if that is Jason Goddamn Bourne!"

John Wicks enemies:

Compare reactions? C'mon. John pops up in Rome and
his very presence makes others concerned the Pope is about to be assassinated.
This motherfucker is such a renowned, feared hitman that just
revealing himself to his target causes them to immediately accept death and commit suicide.
What reaction is possibly greater than that?

Edit: In case the spoiler tags weren't enough, FYI, this post contains Chapter 2 spoilers.

John Wick should probably stick to the magical headshots instead of getting within arm's reach of Frank Castle.

But you're probably right. Wick sounds like One Punch Man with a gun.
Uh, Chapter 2 makes it graphically clear Wick is capable of causing rather unsightly manners of death without a gun at close range.

Someone once saw him kill three men in a bar, bro. With a fookin pencil.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Uh, Chapter 2 makes it graphically clear Wick is capable of causing rather unsightly manners of death without a gun at close range.

Someone once saw him kill three men in a bar, bro. With a fookin pencil.

Jason Bourne could kill a highly trained dude with just a magazine, giving him a pencil would be overkill.

Compare reactions? C'mon. John pops up in Rome and
his very presence makes others concerned the Pope is about to be assassinated.
This motherfucker is such a renowned, feared hitman that just
revealing himself to his target causes them to immediately accept death and commit suicide.
What reaction is possibly greater than that?

Edit: In case the spoiler tags weren't enough, FYI, this post contains Chapter 2 spoilers.

Yea but it's also who is doing the reaction. When the CIA sees a shadow that looks little like Bourne they collective shit their pants and start planning for the worst.

I love me some John Wick, but does he make an entire intelligence agency shit itself when they see his shadow?

Bourne is the goddamn boogey-man to the godddamn boogey-man.

Speevy

Banned
I think this thread is kind of unfair to other action heroes because you just don't see the other ones doing as many stunts and fights as Keanu.

That doesn't make them more or less skilled in their fictional roles.

Keihart

I think this quote puts it better "John Wick is said to be a man of focus, commitment and sheer fucking will" and "Well John wasn't exactly the Boogeyman. He was the one you sent to kill the fucking Boogeyman"

Both quotes give and indication of Wick's reputation.

Now if we are speaking of him against other action "heroes" like Jason Bourne or Bond i think is important to remember how in the first movie and even on the second one Wick is not on his prime, this is the men you send to kill the boogie man after being reformed, if Wicks really is back and you get him motivated i fear to see the force of nature he would become. Several times over the course of the first movie you hear people surprised that he has scratches or that he looks vulnerable to which John once replied "i'm rusty i guess"

I think that by the third movie he is really gonna be back, he needs to if is going to survive the fallout.

Edit: Yeah, Wick is kinda like One Punch man, the man doesn't seem to have limits and keeps looking stronger every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom