• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just bought a Wii-U

Oxn

Against better judgement from GAF to not buy a dead system, i bought one anyways, refurb from nintendo, and it was brand spanking new. I also didnt have a Wii, so i got alot of catching up to do.

Let me tell you this thing is magical to hold and use. The gamepad is not the most comfortable, but it is a damn joy to use. Upon turning it on, i feel like i was wisked away to a fairy land. The noises it make, the background music, all feels like im in a wonderland.

My hesistation began with my absolute hatred of the 3ds family. With many similiarities with the dual screen, and even games. The build quality is much better, the screen is suprisingly good. I forced myself to play mario 3d land, whereas i couldnt let go of playing 3d world pass my bed time. Im thinking of all the games i want to play, and what im going to do tonight. I never had this feeling with the 3ds xl. Both ds and 3ds sort of ruined my relationship with nintendo games. The magic was gone upon having to play games on such bad hardware inside and out, and yes i think the wii-u has good hardware. One that im having a great time picking up and using.

So what im really trying to say is, nintendo fans you really dropped the ball here. I cant believe you guys allowed and let it die. If you are a nintendo fan and havent gotten one, i suggest you do. It really converted me, and i want to catch up on nintendo games again.

I also wasnt too fond of the switch, still not really, but now im looking forward to odyssey.

Shifty

RIP

I enjoyed the time with my Wii U but it's more or less just gathering dust at this point. Some really good games on there though.

Pinky

Banned
The Wii U is great. The Switch and BotW is consuming me right now, but my Wii U still sits comfortably underneath my TV. Nintendo really churned out some quality first-party titles for this little fella. Super Mario Maker is my fave of the system.

Deku89

I believe the problem was that only Nintendo fans bought it. Anyway, have fun with it. There's a lot of great games (especially if you include the Wii games).

jdmonmou

The Wii U was really a good console. Playing Zelda on it made me wonder what it could've been if Nintendo delivered on the 3rd party support promise. Don't blame the fans, blame Nintendo for failing to properly market and support it.

z0m3le

Banned
I'm sorry. /s

Shouldn't blame Nintendo fans, should blame Nintendo for pushing a console that they didn't believe in. Enjoy the amazing experiences on the device, but for $100 more, Switch is a much much better deal since it won't be competing with a Nintendo handheld for much longer.

Mediking

Actual hardcore Nintendo fans are the ones who actually bought the Wii U and supported it as much as they could....

Wii U is a great console but just like the 3DS.... I've moved on to Switch and PS4.

Please, don't disrespect the dead with the "-".
Also, seems like a bad time to get one. For $100 more you could get a brand new Switch that'll get most of Wii U's best.
But I hope you enjoy it. Wonderful 101, one of my favs last gen, is probably stuck there so check it out.

EhoaVash

Loved the Wii u

The first Party games for it have been amazing.

I would recommend for you to get Mario kart, splatoon but I fear the online community might be pretty barren once the switch version of mk8/splatoon 2 comes out. Still great games

Peltz

Fantastic system with an amazing library. There are also a ton of Wii games you missed out on too.

Seriously, the Wii + Wii U combo will give you countless phenomenal games to play for years if you really want to build a library.

Congrats, OP. I bought the Wii U at launch, and I have absolutely loved it throughout its lifespan. So much so that I feel no need to buy a Switch any time soon for a Nintendo fix. With the Wii built in and both virtual consoles, there's a vast library of classics and curiosities to explore here.

So what im really trying to say is, nintendo fans you really dropped the ball here. I cant believe you guys allowed and let it die.
👀

Yeah, it's a nice piece of hardware. Bought it at launch, did my part buying third parties, but it didn't help much. I don't regret it, though. I'm primarily PC now, but I still revisit my Wii U to finish up my backlog. Definitely a console worth visiting; there's a lot unique to it in regards software.

Great GREAT first party games, horrible system/UI.
Got it day one and dont regret it just because of the amazing games. Sold it off for a Switch plus Zelda. Hope they will port some of the games to Switch for the ones who (understandably) didn't buy the WiiU.

Nintendo fans kept it alive, however there is only so many of us. It just did not have the same appeal as the Wii and the marketing for the Wii U was pretty lackluster and confusing for the mainstream audience.

Skyzard

Banned
I'm not a fan of the 3DS at all and I secretly like my WiiU quite a bit.

I play it mostly as a handheld with the gamepad and it's great for playing games in bed.

BotW
Mario Kart
Splatoon
Mario 3D world
DK Tropical Freeze
Super Mario Maker
NSMBU + lugi
Bayonetta
Smash Bros
Wind Waker HD
Wonderful 101
Pikmin 3
And a few other hidden gems and decent indies

Have fun :)

Don't forget to install Nintendont for gamecube games if you go down that route.

Oxn

Please, don't disrespect the dead with the "-".
Also, seems like a bad time to get one. For $100 more you could get a brand new Switch that'll get most of Wii U's best.
But I hope you enjoy it. Wonderful 101, one of my favs last gen, is probably stuck there so check it out.

I did my pro and con list, and i decided to go with the wii-u, even having to shell out real money from my pockets as opposed to using the $305 gamestop credit i have.

Piggus

You can't blame consumers for Nintendo's failure to understand the market. The value proposition wasn't there like it was with the Wii, and it didn't offer anything new like the Switch does. The result is a system caught in the vicious cycle of low sales and poor third party support. I enjoyed a few games on it, but I'm glad I sold it for a Switch. The Switch is just a much, much better system.

Mael

Yeah, once Mario Maker gets on the Switch train i don't think I'll need to keep that one out of the closet.
Mario (2d and 3d) was awesome, Pikmin was a bit meh, DK was fantastic, XenoX was awesomesauce.
The rest is either inconsequential or soon on switch.
Forgot the best out there : NintendoLand, ZombiU and WiiUParty, great for what they were.
Although I don't think ZombiU stand the test of time though :/

AdanVC

A Wii U is a nice investment right now if you skip it on it's entirety. It's pretty cheap and you have a top notch library of games available including Zelda Breath of the Wild. I skip the Switch for now because it costs almost $500 bucks on my country so I'm currently using my Wii U a lot to play BotW, Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon wich still have plenty of people playing online so it's easy to find online matches.

Nintendo dropped the ball, not the fans. I love my Wii U, but it was a disaster on multiple levels.

Be sure to get the game that best uses the gamepad: Affordable Space Adventures. Nothing even comes close in this regard.

Oxn

...Says the guy who waited until the system was discontinued to buy it? o_O

Im not a nintendo fan, not in the sense that you would call one a nintendo fan. Nintendo gaf imo failed to convey what a great piece of device it is. I thought it was another pos like the 3ds, but its not.

Skyzard

Banned
You can't blame consumers for Nintendo's failure to understand the market. The value proposition wasn't there like it was with the Wii, and it didn't offer anything new like the Switch does. The result is a system caught in the vicious cycle of low sales and poor third party support. I enjoyed a few games on it, but I'm glad I sold it for a Switch.

The Switch doesn't really offer THAT much more over the Gamepad.

You can play tabletop with the gamepad and pro controller, you can play zelda on TV and take the gamepad to bed... it just doesn't have detachable wiimotes (that you already own) attached to the device. I'm not sure how popular gaming on a large handheld is outside of the home.

Kinda plays the same games too, but no backwards compatibility, paid online and still no basic tablet features.

eXistor

Good choice imo, WiiU is one of those vastly underrated systems that'll grow in appreciation in the coming years (provided not everything gets ported to the Switch).

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
So what im really trying to say is, nintendo fans you really dropped the ball here. I cant believe you guys allowed and let it die. If you are a nintendo fan and havent gotten one, i suggest you do. It really converted me, and i want to catch up on nintendo games again.

I'm sorry what? I bought the system on launch day and have something like 50 games for the thing, how did I "allow it to die" exactly?

Good choice imo, WiiU is one of those vastly underrated systems that'll grow in appreciation in the coming years (provided not everything gets ported to the Switch).

I have a feeling WiiU and it's games will become a collector's favourite and in 10 years time stuff will be very expensive

cbrun44

Excellent decision on the pick-up. WiiU is a great system with quite a few must-own classics. Worth every penny.

You never had a Wii? In that case, there's an absolute shed load of games that are practically essential to play.
I'm sure you know, but you can access the Wii VC through the Wii menu, which has separate games from the Wii U eShop that lack the exclusive Wii U features like being playable on Gamepad (you can use the Gamepad as a screen on Wii VC, but you need a Wii Remote or Classic Controller to play. The Wii VC also doesn't share the wallet funds with the Wii U/3DS eShop.

I've had my Wii U since launch and only use it to play Smash. I think the console is garbage and there are maybe 4 or 5 titles unique to the system worth owning.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Blasting 3DS for bad hardware and then praising Wii U wut?

Wii U has a dozen or so amazing titles, but that's all it has.

Im not a nintendo fan, not in the sense that you would call one a nintendo fan. Nintendo gaf imo failed to convey what a great piece of device it is. I thought it was another pos like the 3ds, but its not.

That's because it isn't a great device. It has great games, but the gamepad itself isn't anything noteworthy whatsoever.

Got my second Wii U less than a month ago for BotW. Worth it. great machine. Ripped game off my disc and shelved it somewhere. it's a good system. much better than the wii it replaced. cant wait for bayonetta 2. more mario. i'm almost done /w botw, i think.

Top Bottom