• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just bought a Wii-U

The OS sucks and so does the Gamepad but Pro Controller is dope.

Fortunately it has a ton of great games and since its backwards compatible it has all the awesome stuff from the Wii library too like Mario Galaxy

Enjoy, OP!

Not sure why people think buying a "dead" system is a bad idea. When a system has reached the end of it's lifecycle, you know exactly what you're getting when you buy it, and it's cheaper than buying it earlier.

Buying a Wii U now makes far more sense than buying one at launch.

This. Plus with the more connected nature of consoles you get features that launch models may not have had (eg Suspend/Resume on the PS4), and you can skip past the hype for releases and quickly see what games were received well by both players and critics - something that's not as easy to do when a game is still new and still being talked about. And another thing is if you buy used, you can easily buy someone's console and games in a bundle and save a bit of extra money that way (compared to getting the games individually).

Congrats on the purchase - the Wii U has a great library so you should have a blast with the system :D.

bobawesome

So what im really trying to say is, nintendo fans you really dropped the ball here. I cant believe you guys allowed and let it die. If you are a nintendo fan and havent gotten one, i suggest you do. It really converted me, and i want to catch up on nintendo games again.

I also wasnt too fond of the switch, still not really, but now im looking forward to odyssey.

And how do you think you're helping, exactly? All you're doing is supporting a dead platform by buying it after its successor has been released. You have no right to say that after waiting until now to buy one yourself.

VDenter

Banned
What? Wii U did not die because Nintendo fans "dropped the ball." Wii U died because Nintendo dropped the ball and created perhaps the most underwhelming Nintendo console of all time.

Gxgear

If Nintendo doesn't port the WiiU library over to Switch then it's a brilliant decision, one that I've been struggling with recently.

Cleve

Nintendo fans are the only reason the system sold at all, wrong people to call out.

That said, the gamepad feels like a cheap fisher price toy with too much weight on the top and none on the bottom. I'll never understand people that like it. Particularly over the switch.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
If Nintendo doesn't port the WiiU library over to Switch then it's a brilliant decision, one that I've been struggling with recently.

As a one-box solution that plays the entire Wii U and Wii library it's more or less permanently earned a spot underneath my TV.

Joei

Wii U was my favorite Nintendo console since the SNES, so you made a great decision. Tons of great games and I'm still playing it to this day, even with a PS4 Pro and Switch here. I got the new Paper Mario and that game is rock solid. I love the plaza at the beginning, the eShop setup, the sounds and inviting nature of the system, the fact that you can turn it on and immediately go to turn on the game you were playing with the Wii U gamepad. Oh, and I don't know if anyone mentioned it, but make sure you grab a pro controller as well. Yes, I enjoyed the Wii U gamepad, but that Pro controller is boss for games that don't need the pad.

most people could not use the gamepad in bed if your Wii U was in another room. range on the gamepad is terrible

Man, I was so excited for this feature and the damn thing would barely make it down my hallway to my bedroom before losing signal :(

I just bought a Wii U as well. I sold my physical GC, SNES, N64 and GBA collections, but still wanted to be able to own the classics like Advance Wars, Minish Cap, the GBA Metroid games, Prime Trilogy, GC Zeldas, DKC games, etc., all in one spot without the prohibitive cost of buying a Switch and waiting for Nintendo to re-populate the virtual console.

That BotW is also on the system certainly helped with the decision...

The Wii U is god awful hardware that I enjoyed and used in spite of itself. The gamepad being kept in the closet under the stairs while I used the pro controller for basically everything helped me pretend I was playing a well thought out console.

EmiPrime

Against better judgement from GAF to not buy a dead system, i bought one anyways, refurb from nintendo, and it was brand spanking new. I also didnt have a Wii, so i got alot of catching up to do.

You made a great decision. 10 years of Nintendo console games are accessible to you now for the first time, enjoy yourself!

Lucent

I got got a Wii u at launch and Nintendoland was a great surprise. Sadly, it was the only game that really showed great promise in the unique ways the game pad could be used. I sold it after awhile since the drought was real. Then later rebought refurbished and it seemed like new. Since it's no longer in production, I'm definitely not gonna sell it.

schopaia

Please, don't disrespect the dead with the "-".
Also, seems like a bad time to get one. For $100 more you could get a brand new Switch that'll get most of Wii U's best.
But I hope you enjoy it. Wonderful 101, one of my favs last gen, is probably stuck there so check it out.

I hear this often on gaf, but what's concretely coming? I mean, besides Mario Kart and Zelda and Lego City? Heck of a lot more worthwhile games than those two. And then even if they are ported, you're getting some very modest upgrades for, I'm sure in most cases, an extra $40 (seeing as how a good chunk of the games are $20 selects).

Wii U is still a great purchase even at this point, even if you were just getting it for wii and virtual console games.

n0razi

So what im really trying to say is, nintendo fans you really dropped the ball here. I cant believe you guys allowed and let it die. If you are a nintendo fan and havent gotten one, i suggest you do. It really converted me, and i want to catch up on nintendo games again.

What? It had like 5 games that I liked and possibly the worst 3D Zelda... once Rocket League and Jackbox came out for PS4, the Wii U went straight to the closet as the PS4 became the goto party console. Its totally on Nintendo. Plus now we have CEMU that plays Wii U games at 1080p

Champion

All the Mega Man VC
Bayonetta 2
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Smash Bros 4
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
Rayman Leends
Mario 3D World
The Wonderful 101
Earthbound

Get those and you're good. Congrats!

You made a good choice as it's a fantastic system to experience classic Nintendo franchises as well as ZombiU. Off-TV play can be a neat function as well.

Zelda: BotW, Zelda: Wind Waker HD, Super Mario 3D World, New Super Mario Bros U, Mario Kart 8, and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze all bring the Nintendo magic ten-fold.

Edit: Regarding your 3DS comments, I've never been big on handhelds since, well, the original Gameboy but I recently got a 2DS and have been pretty much blown away by the quality of titles like Zelda: ALBW, Zelda: OoT, Super Mario 3D Land, and Mario Kart 7.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I own all different gameboys/handhelds (minus game and watch) and every console nintendo made.

The wii u is the only one i have sold.
Still pissed of i bought my wii u day 1 for a new zelda😂😂

Yarbskoo

It's a great console with a lot of great exclusives.

Also, anyone who tells you that you should have bought a Switch instead is full of shit. And I say that as a Switch owner.

Dremorak

Banned
It was a very good system. After Zelda (on switch) I'm going to rush through all the gamepad required games I have left before my gamepad dies a sticky child-inflicted death

Lesson one: there's no hyphen.

And I honestly can't blame people. The console itself is a piece of shit. I literally hate the GamePad. Such an awful, awful controller. Oversized (about twice the volume of the entire Switch despite having a tiny fraction of the hardware), a terrible battery life that's somehow comparable to the Switch itself (partly due to the fact that it has a deliberately undersized battery, made worse by the fact that even with the larger battery the device has TONS of empty space), it's constantly using power so if it's not docked it's draining said pitiful battery, even when not in use, and the signal drops entirely if I walk around the corner 8 feet from the console.

I never liked the system itself that much, despite the games (though to be honest the line-up was the most lacking of any Nintendo home console to date, so even with some stellar games it still looks bad next to its brothers), and the Switch has just made me hate it more.

Counter argument:

The gamepad is amazing, one of the best controllers ever. The width is an asset, letting the arms rest in a broader, more relaxed position. The grip feels like it was moulded to my hands. The dpad is top notch, better than almost every contemporary controller, including the Switch pro controller. Having a screen for off-tv play was one of the best innovations a console has ever had, the streaming works flawlessly with no graphical hitches, something remote play on PS4 can't say for itself. Retro games look amazing on it, it's certainly friendlier to them than an HDTV. And having a touchpad for menus/maps other experiences is a bonus that I'm going to miss in future consoles.

And as for the lineup, I think it has more top end worthwhile first party games at the end of the day than the Wii, Gamecube or N64 before it had. What's more, VC means it has all the great games those systems had in addition to its own, it's a goldmine. And we may never get a system which can do faithful two screen emulations of DS games again.

I personally think any worthwhile Wii U game will make it to the Switch.

That definitely won't happen. I think it's a foregone conclusion that a lot of good games that just didn't sell well like Wonderful 101 or #FE won't make it over, it won't be worth their time. I don't see them doing ports of 3D World or NSMBU/Super Luigi either. Likewise, they probably won't do things like Captain Toad, and they seem to be skipping over XCX. And most games that really made use of the touchscreen like Nintendo Land would be an impossibility...and for a lot of things, even if they can, they shouldn't. Zombi U was half the game on PS4.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I own Mario 3D, ZombiU, Bayonetta 2 pack, Twilight Princess HD, Donkey Kong TF, Wonderful 101, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Zelda BotW, and Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker. The rest I own are dozens of VC games.

Monster Hunter 3-4 and Smash Bros I had on 3DS.

That's small in comparison to my digital downloads on my other consoles alone.

Granted the Wii U had some amazing games. It just fell short in terms of adding more and more content over the years. Way late in the console's life for a Zelda, but that doesn't matter. It was awesome. Plus no Metroid or outstanding IP's. The VC is awesome though. Lots of GBA games to play on there and other handheld games.

Justinh

I think getting a Nintendo "refurb" is probably the way to go about getting one now. Anyways, I hope you enjoy your console OP. I loved off-TV play on the gamepad, but as soon as I got a Pro controller I never used it again and slowly started to really hate the gamepad.

I still kinda want to get a copy of Devil's Third while I still can...

I don't think it's right to blame Nintendo fans on its demise. It's Nintendo's fault.

Yep, I just bought one of those refurbs too, to keep as a backup if mine dies. Also want to get an extra gamepad.

Trying to round out my library now before everything costs an arm and a leg on eBay.

nickgia

The good thing about buying the dead console now is that you can enjoy all of it's great games in one go, without waiting months,

Alebrije

Best Nintendo console at this moment , get new Zelda and great exclusives like

deus Ex directors cut
Pikmin
Fatal frame

Also tons of great games thanks its retrocompatible

SystemUser

There's a ton of good games (90% first party) on the system that are unlikely to get ported to Switch. Just off the top of my head.

Probably won't get ported
Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
The Wonderful 101
Bayonetta 2 (and the Wii U of Bayonetta 1 if you have never played it before)
Star Fox Zero (mileage may vary on this one)
Super Mario 3D World
New Super Mario Bros. U (but really New Super Luigi U is the star of the show)
Pikmin 3
Yoshi's Woolly World
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
Splatoon (although debatably you might not care since the online will likely be dead once Splatoon 2 comes out)

I disagree with Starfox Zero (honestly my favorite Star Fox game), but I'm sure we would be here all night having that debate. Another debate for another thread.

What makes you think that Pikmin 3 won't be ported? Both Pikmin and Pikmin 2 were ported from the Gamecube to the Wii. I guess there is more working involved in going from Wii U to Switch than Gamecube to Wii since the Wii and Gamecube used the same family of CPU and GPU.

With the Wii Nintendo wanted to cash in on the Wii have a much bigger install base than the Gamecube. That part of the situation looks like it will repeat itself with the Switch, but I guess the cost of porting might put a damper on whether they open the flood gates of Wii U to Switch ports. It would be cool to hear someone who has done both types of ports weigh in on difference in cost. It might be worth it at a higher cost since the Wii U sold less software than the Gamecube.

I want to play Pikmin 3 eventually. Maybe I should have bought one of those refurbs from Nintendo, but I kept assuming the price was about to drop.

Top Bottom