• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just bought a Wii-U

Piggus

The Switch doesn't really offer THAT much over more over the Gamepad.

You can play tabletop with the gamepad and pro controller, you can play zelda on TV and take the gamepad to bed... it just doesn't have detachable wiimotes (that you already own) attached to the device.

Kinda plays the same games too, but no backwards compatibility.

You can take the gamepad into another room at best. You can take the Switch anywhere you want. That's kind of a big factor... The Switch is a more powerful and PORTABLE Wii U.

The Switch also has a much higher quality screen and better build quality.

NeonBlack

The guy who only bought the console after it's death is blaming the people who bought it earlier when it still had new releases.

The oversized controller is mandatory for some games (and the settings menu) because a tv with a much larger screen can't handle it? The music may be good but the boggled down OS makes up for it.

I think you would have down better getting a Switch at this point.

You also didn't bring up the most important part. Games

Oxn

I'm sorry what? I bought the system on launch day and have something like 50 games for the thing, how did I "allow it to die" exactly?

Im talki about the nintendo fan who skipped out on it, cause they didnt like the idea of the wii u.

There are many, and ive seen many post like, why couldnt nintendo have made a system i want to buy. Really though, i think its a system you want to buy, but just didnt know you did.

icespide

Banned
The Switch doesn't really offer THAT much more over the Gamepad.

You can play tabletop with the gamepad and pro controller, you can play zelda on TV and take the gamepad to bed... it just doesn't have detachable wiimotes (that you already own) attached to the device. I'm not sure how popular gaming on a large handheld is outside of the home.

Kinda plays the same games too, but no backwards compatibility, paid online and still no basic tablet features.

most people could not use the gamepad in bed if your Wii U was in another room. range on the gamepad is terrible

Skyzard

Banned
You can take the gamepad into another room at best. You can take the Switch anywhere you want.

The Switch also has a much higher quality screen and better build quality.

That's true, I keep my WiiU in the bedroom.

I have it hooked up to the PC there but never use it on the screen unless I have to like with Splatoon.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
So what im really trying to say is, nintendo fans you really dropped the ball here. I cant believe you guys allowed and let it die.

Nintendo gaf imo failed to convey what a great piece of device it is. I thought it was another pos like the 3ds, but its not.

I think I can speak for all of GAF that I'm sorry we did not put labels saying "[NOT A PIECE OF SHIT, YOU SHOULD BUY THIS]" on the titles of the dozen-plus OTs for Wii U exclusives

Clov

I feel it was really only Nintendo fans who bought the Wii U, so not really their fault here. I blame Nintendo for making a poor console in the first place. A lot of bad ideas went into it, and I'd say it's my least favorite Nintendo console.

Still, there are some great games on it. Make sure to try out Pikmin 3, Bayonetta 2, and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze! If you really like JRPGs (particularly Shin Megami Tensei games), you may enjoy Tokyo Mirage Sessions. Since it doesn't seem like you have a Switch, give BotW a try; it doesn't seem like you'll miss much by playing it on Wii U, if impressions are anything to go by.

icespide

Banned
There are many, and ive seen many post like, why couldnt nintendo have made a system i want to buy. Really though, i think its a system you want to buy, but just didnt know you did.

I've read this post a few times now and still don't really get it.

Im talki about the nintendo fan who skipped out on it, cause they didnt like the idea of the wii u.

Your logic is baffling and not the reason the Wii U failed at all.

compo

Banned
I owned a Wii U. But I don't like owning a bunch of extra stuff, so once there were no more games being released on the thing, I traded it in for an Xbone.

I loved it, though. I pwned my fair share of 7 year olds in Mario Kart 8. Mario Maker was really cool, too. Pretty much every first party game on that console was really good. I don't think Nintendo dropped a single ball with their first party games that generation.

Vespa

The OS was an absolute nightmare at launch and that first year man.

I'm still not a fan of how long it takes to go into and out of the system settings. It's weird, I love the software and have more games for it than my ps4 or xbox one but I hate the user experience.

Piggus

That's true, I keep my WiiU in the bedroom.

I have it hooked up to the PC there but never use it on the screen unless I have to like with Splatoon.

I will say though that the complete lack of lag between the console and the tablet is amazing. It actually has less latency than my TV in game mode.

Malice215

After playing the Switch, it's tough to go back to playing on the Wii U. Before the Switch, the Wii U has been great for the dozen or so quality games that it has and being able to play the Wii's back catalog that I also missed out on.

The only one to blame for the death of the Wii U is Nintendo.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
I feel it was really only Nintendo fans who bought the Wii U, so not really their fault here. I blame Nintendo for making a poor console in the first place. A lot of bad ideas went into it, and I'd say it's my least favorite Nintendo console.

Still, there are some great games on it. Make sure to try out Pikmin 3, Bayonetta 2, and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze! If you really like JRPGs (particularly Shin Megami Tensei games), you may enjoy Tokyo Mirage Sessions. Since it doesn't seem like you have a Switch, give BotW a try; it doesn't seem like you'll miss much by playing it on Wii U, if impressions are anything to go by.

Only Nintendo fans bought the GameCube and that did almost 10 million more units. The Wii U didn't appeal to enough people, including several legacy Nintendo fans who gave up on the system at launch or some years after.

Skyzard

Banned
I don't think Nintendo dropped a single ball with their first party games that generation.

Metroid Prime: Federation Force and Starfox (?) are probably best completely forgotten.

I will say though that the complete lack of lag between the console and the tablet is amazing. It actually has less latency than my TV in game mode.

Yeah, the streaming quality was great even compared to streaming now. They did a good job with the gamepad, I liked the idea a lot. I thought it had a chance to take off more with how popular tablets were too...

I loved it, though. I pwned my fair share of 7 year olds in Mario Kart 8. Mario Maker was really cool, too. Pretty much every first party game on that console was really good. I don't think Nintendo dropped a single ball with their first party games that generation.
Starfox Zero, Animal Crossing amiibo Festival, Game & Wario, etc...

Loved my Wii U. I could tell the impression it left on me by the fact that for the first few days of owning a Switch, I kept looking down at the joycon grip expecting to see a map.

antibolo

Banned
There's nothing wrong with buying a console at the end of its lifespan. You get a huge cheap library to dig in.

Only downside is missing out on most online multiplayer games (they'll either be shut down or deserted), but if you don't care about those to begin with, it's a non-issue.

Consoles are arguably at their worst at launch. Tiny library, unfinished firmware, etc.

PetrCobra

Too bad you missed Devil's Third's online but other than that you're in for a ride.

If there's a Wii U game you want that also exists/is coming to Switch (like Zelda, but also games like MK8 or Fas Racing Neo; doesn't really apply to first Splatoon btw) I'd mostly suggest to skip the Wii U version but for the other games it's well worth to own the system.

Swiggins

I was seriously considering buying one myself not too long ago, but I decided to just save the money.

There's a lot of great Wii-U games I never got to play that look enticing. If I could find one cheap enough, I'd definitely get it.

I love the Wii U and i think it has an incredible library. Just absolutely overflowing with amazing games. But all that said... I just can't go back after getting a switch. The switch does everything the Wii U wanted to do, but so much better.

However, enjoy it. The library is a hell of a lot more expansive than people realize and the eshop is full of great indie and downloadable games.

Not sure why people think buying a "dead" system is a bad idea. When a system has reached the end of it's lifecycle, you know exactly what you're getting when you buy it, and it's cheaper than buying it earlier.

Buying a Wii U now makes far more sense than buying one at launch.

Wensih

Im not a nintendo fan, not in the sense that you would call one a nintendo fan. Nintendo gaf imo failed to convey what a great piece of device it is. I thought it was another pos like the 3ds, but its not.

Ehhhhh... I still think the Wii U is a pos that is saved by a small library of worthwhile games. The hardware and some of the UI decisions are nightmares. Why can I not turn off the gamepad for Netflix streaming?!

This being said I would always recommend dead systems with an exclusive library to someone interested in a cheap system, especially at the launch of a non-backwards compatible successor that lacks really anything outside of Zelda.

While there was many things wrong with the Wii U on Nintendo's side even blaming the fans is a sound argument tbh. It may not be as powerful as its competitors but it was still one of the rare Nintendo consoles that could actually run the majority of games on the market, unlike past few consoles that had greater problems on that aspect(cartridges for the n64, mini dvds/ps2 domination for the gamecube, huge power gap for the wii). Sadly, it end up missing hundred of games, a lot of which would have been great fits for the system. Meanwhile, Nintendo fans didn't speak against that, they simply accepted the Wii U as "Nintendo's best console since the SNES" in their delusional mind thinking that 3D World is the best 3D Mario while making creepy comments @ Treehouse employees as they get bird-fed by the ambitionless games announced in the latest Nintendo Direct. Meanwhile the community of other failed products actually managed to make a difference, look at the PS Vita lobby managing to get almost every indie game on it even though that console is beyond dead in the West, it's not like those games wouldn't run/fit with the Wii U's audience or anything. Or even look at the PC crowd who port begged so hard that they even got ports of Japanese console games, things that the majority of PC players don't care about, again games that could run on a Wii U/fit with their audience. When your fanbase is actually satisfied with a console that doesn't even use its new features and has a library that is mostly last gen rehashes, no wonder it sold even less than the GameCube

Lesson one: there's no hyphen.

And I honestly can't blame people. The console itself is a piece of shit. I literally hate the GamePad. Such an awful, awful controller. Oversized (about twice the volume of the entire Switch despite having a tiny fraction of the hardware), a terrible battery life that's somehow comparable to the Switch itself (partly due to the fact that it has a deliberately undersized battery, made worse by the fact that even with the larger battery the device has TONS of empty space), it's constantly using power so if it's not docked it's draining said pitiful battery, even when not in use, and the signal drops entirely if I walk around the corner 8 feet from the console.

I never liked the system itself that much, despite the games (though to be honest the line-up was the most lacking of any Nintendo home console to date, so even with some stellar games it still looks bad next to its brothers), and the Switch has just made me hate it more.

Not sure why people think buying a "dead" system is a bad idea. When a system has reached the end of it's lifecycle, you know exactly what you're getting when you buy it, and it's cheaper than buying it earlier.

Buying a Wii U now makes far more sense than buying one at launch.

And you're getting a full library of games. This "dead" system concept only exists in the minds of people addicted to hype cycles, as if previously released games cease to be playable when no more games are coming in the future.

Oxn

While there was many things wrong with the Wii U on Nintendo's side even blaming the fans is a sound argument tbh. It may not be as powerful as its competitors but it was still one of the rare Nintendo consoles that could actually run the majority of games on the market, unlike past few consoles that had greater problems on that aspect(cartridges for the n64, mini dvds/ps2 domination for the gamecube, huge power gap for the wii). Sadly, it end up missing hundred of games, a lot of which would have been great fits for the system. Meanwhile, Nintendo fans didn't speak against that, they simply accepted the Wii U as "Nintendo's best console since the SNES" in their delusional mind thinking that 3D World is the best 3D Mario while making creepy comments @ Treehouse employees as they get bird-fed by the ambitionless games announced in the latest Nintendo Direct. Meanwhile the community of other failed products actually managed to make a difference, look at the PS Vita lobby managing to get almost every indie game on it even though that console is beyond dead in the West, it's not like those games wouldn't run/fit with the Wii U's audience or anything. Or even look at the PC crowd who port begged so hard that they even got ports of Japanese console games, things that the majority of PC players don't care about, again games that could run on a Wii U/fit with their audience. When your fanbase is actually satisfied with a console that doesn't even use its new features and has a library that is mostly last gen rehashes, no wonder it sold even less than the GameCube

You put it in words better than i did.

Its not as simple as, i bought every game for the system, i did my part. Nintendo fans just said, i got my nintendo games, fuck all else i dont care. The system imo is very good, but never got the games needed to survive. The fans didnt help with that.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
And you're getting a full library of games. This "dead" system concept only exists in the minds of people addicted to hype cycles, as if previously released games cease to be playable when no more games are coming in the future.

As far as I'm concerned a console should be judged based on it's current library, not it's potential library.

Eh I bought one fairly recently too and am playing Windwaker HD on it [never played WW before] and while I'm enjoying the heck out of the game, I can't consider it a good console due to the simple inability to stream all audio to the gamepad on every game.

I absolutely have to play by headphones so playing Windwaker I have a cable from my tv to me as I want to play it there rather than stream to the gamepad and apparently there is no option to force all system audio to the gamepad while playing on a tv for certain games.

I can push I think gamepad noises to the gamepad headphone port or I can play off screen on the gamepad and then have all audio to the gamepad but I can't do what I want, what I do on every other system I currently play [PS4/XB1] and it's obviously a software limitation and not at all hardware related.

Would people consider it a small detail? Sure, that's fair but it kills any appreciation I may have had for the system because it's mind-numbingly inconsiderate from the platform holder to their customers. Nintendo could have at any point in their years with Wii U forced an OS update to give a system option to force audio through the gamepad and yet here I am in 2017 with a stupid extension cable as I hold like a $150 controller with all these other bells and whistles I have no use for.

Windwaker is cool though

Hylian7

There's a ton of good games (90% first party) on the system that are unlikely to get ported to Switch. Just off the top of my head.

Probably won't get ported
Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
The Wonderful 101
Bayonetta 2 (and the Wii U of Bayonetta 1 if you have never played it before)
Star Fox Zero (mileage may vary on this one)
Super Mario 3D World
New Super Mario Bros. U (but really New Super Luigi U is the star of the show)
Pikmin 3
Yoshi's Woolly World
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
Splatoon (although debatably you might not care since the online will likely be dead once Splatoon 2 comes out)

Metroid Prime: Federation Force and Starfox (?) are probably best completely forgotten.

Yeah, the streaming quality was great even compared to streaming now. They did a good job with the gamepad, I liked the idea a lot. I thought it had a chance to take off more with how popular tablets were too...

Starfox Zero, Animal Crossing amiibo Festival, Game & Wario, etc...

I disagree with Starfox Zero (honestly my favorite Star Fox game), but I'm sure we would be here all night having that debate. Another debate for another thread.

Thud

Unfortunately we don't have a gif like for the vita :(

Anyway there's some cool games to play on wether it's singleplayer or multiplayer experiences you're looking for.

Personally I really hope every game of note ends up on Switch, so I can get rid of my Wii U for good. I'm at the point where the less consoles and clutter I own, the better.

Edit: Actually I just realized that the Wii U is also my main OG wii player lol, so yeah...guess I'll be keeping it around anyways.

Congrats, OP. I bought the Wii U at launch, and I have absolutely loved it throughout its lifespan. So much so that I feel no need to buy a Switch any time soon for a Nintendo fix. With the Wii built in and both virtual consoles, there's a vast library of classics and curiosities to explore here.

No lies detected in any part of this post.

Worth owning the system for Super Mario 3D World alone. Also had a stellar time with NSMBU, Captain Toad, MK8, Bayo2 and Super Mario Maker. Add the Loadiine jailbreak for NES/SNES and GBA classics and you've got a killer console.

OP, do yourself a favor and pick up these GBA VC games: Fire Emblem, Fire Emblem Sacred Stones, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, Golden Sun, Golden Sun The Lost Age. All of them are fantastic. The best thing about Wii U other than the superb first party titles is the GBA VC, most of the system's best titles are available, and they play great on the TV and the Gamepad.

Top Bottom