• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Justice League' screening held, reactions

Jackpot

Banned
Interesting notes on Whedon's added scenes:

And it [which were Whedon's scenes] was blatantly obvious watching it. As an example:
Flash and Cyborg are digging
in a real
graveyard
. Suddenly
Flash and Cyborg are digging
in a fake
graveyard
with wireframe fx everywhere, being witty and cute with each other. And then just as suddenly they're back in a real
graveyard when Flash
finds what he's looking for.

Whedon's scenes were obvious because they were the roughest, and most of the movie was really rough [FX/sound mixing/editing-wise].

okdakor

I have faith that the Whedon half will be great.

You mean his 60-70% ?

JEOsCJH.png

DeathyBoy

Banned
Oh yeah, it's 100% inevitable. There's going to be tons of misattributions, because people love playing the "guess who did what" game despite damn near invariably being awful at it.

See: A.I.

To a lesser extent we'll see it with Han Solo as well.

Gaf is shockingly awful when it comes to this. There's five posters who know their shit and a bunch of motherfuckers addicted to crow milk.

AndyVirus

http://comicbook.com/2016/03/21/first-reactions-to-batman-v-superman-are-very-positive/
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Firs...e-Hit-Social-Media-Check-Them-Out-132407.html

going back and reading these is fantastic
"If #BatmanvSuperman is an example of what to expect from future DC movies then Marvel better watch out"
"Jesse Eisenberg's performance in particular blew me away."
"You want a race, well DC may have just caught up with one movie."
"THIS is the movie that shouldve launched the #DCEU. Perfection film making, breathtaking"

You shouldn't. They probably saw from the massive success of Wonder Woman that people like superheroes that are superheroes, coherent to their schtick, and probably went back to the drawing board for Justice League. I'm not expecting any grimdark bullshit like the previous two movies.

In 3 months?

CloudWolf

Hyping yourself up because of early screenings like this is always a bad idea. BvS and Suicide Squad also got raving early Twitter reviews. Face it, if you're going to get invited to a screening like this, you pretty much sign a contract to talk only in positive terms about the film.

xevis

Banned
Extra! Extra! Read all about it!
Audiences react positively to special treatment and exclusive viewing of big name movie!!

the spoilers I've been reading about it in the other thread in the community section make this movie sound like shit tbh. hopefully its all just conjecture.

Wonder Woman’s spoilers made that movie sound terrible too.

Im staying overall negative but... idk i guess there’s hope?
at least a symbol for hope

charpunk

Extra! Extra! Read all about it!
Audiences react positively to special treatment and exclusive viewing of big name movie!!

This is why I never take these seriously. Of course fans are going to react positively to getting special treatment. I still hope it’s good, but I’ll wait until actual reviews hit.

CloudWolf

You shouldn't. They probably saw from the massive success of Wonder Woman that people like superheroes that are superheroes, coherent to their schtick, and probably went back to the drawing board for Justice League. I'm not expecting any grimdark bullshit like the previous two movies.
You have way too much faith in Hollywood. If there's anything Hollywood is good at it's learning the wrong lessons from successes. Also, if they went back to the drawing board for Justice League after Wonder Woman (so, this year), that spells even more trouble. When's the last time a movie completely went back to the drawing board less than a year before release and it didn't completely suck?

So we can discard it when Marvel does the same? Good to know.

(Waits for goal posts to be moved.)

Yes, of course. Don't ever trust early Twitter reactions to early screening, period. That said, Marvel has a track record of generally creating enjoyable movies, while Warner Bros doesn't.

We'll see, hopefully the movie isn't a mess because of the two directors and they've had decent editors and oversight to tie the film together.

Quietly hopeful though, as I am with all these superhero movies.

Wonder Woman's spoilers made that movie sound terrible too.

Im staying overall negative but... idk i guess there's hope?
at least a symbol for hope

spoilers make it sound like a bog standard superhero movie. which is whatever, about what i expected when we got the first trailer and it is a big 200 million + superhero team up movie. nothing exciting and unsurprising. it was never gonna be anything like BvS really.

but apparently there are some absolutely terrible lines of dialogue thrown in here for humor and levity. its that stuff that has me worried.

plus allegedly no fight scenes on par with the batman warehouse scene which is a shame.

again this is all from some random reddit info dump so who knows really.

I don't believe the fanboys, they would say they hated BvS and loved JL while secretly having a boner for both just so people go see the movie.

Yes because the movies don't turn out to be mostly shit. But even then I take it with a grain of salt. And if people say "its the usual marvel formula" that is good enough for me.

shira

I wonder how high the budget is going to be for Justice League if Wheadon had to reshoot more than half of the movie.

he probably only reshot the talking interactions so the story makes more sense, the bananas fights and CG is probably still the same. I mean all they are doing is punching CG suits and making quips.

If that shit needed to be redone there's problems all around

ZeoVGM

Banned
I have faith in neither. Whedon is trash without David Greenwalt there to tell him his crazy ideas suck.

Case in point everything Whedon has done post Angel has been various degrees of trash.

"Case in point" only works if it's not unequivocally false.

David Greenwalt had nothing to do with Serenity, Dr. Horrible, the original Avengers or Cabin in the Woods.

Even Dollhouse, which had a shaky start, ended up becoming great.

Screeners like DC fanboy Ryan Higgins from Comic Conspiracy podcast? Lol.

I don't know if he saw it. But I know he reads GAF and I just want to say he's always wrong and the dude who says fuck every 10 seconds is always right.

Trickster

DC has a track record of making shit films

and Marvel has a track record of making very enjoyable films

Being more skeptical of positive initial impressions for a new DC movies makes complete sense. I don't think that's exactly a hard concept to grasp

Update: It's further said that a Superman fan that was not happy with Man of Steel or Batman vs. Superman loved Justice League, so take that for what it is worth.

I'm not getting my hopes up but this gives me a beacon of hope.

"Case in point" only works if it's not unequivocally false.

David Greenwalt had nothing to do with Serenity, Dr. Horrible, the original Avengers or Cabin in the Woods.

Even Dollhouse, which had a shaky start, ended up becoming great.

All of those you pointed out were trash in my opinion. His so called "smart" dialogue is just giving everyone the Scooby Gang voice.

Also post Season 3 Buffy when Greenwalt moved over to Angel, was mediocre to bad. Meanwhile Angel under Greenwalt produced some of the best Mutant Enemy material period.

Also Grimm was a far better show then anything else Whedon has done since Angel.

Blader

Cosmic Book News is pretty much the worst site on the internet for comic book/superhero movie 'scoops.' They just flat out lie all the time.

ZeoVGM

Banned
All of those you pointed out were trash in my opinion. His so called "smart" dialogue is just giving everyone the Scooby Gang voice.

lol, alright man.

You're very much in the minority. I mean, you don't have to like it but when you're trying to use your opinion, which is shared by very few people, to make a point, it looks silly.

But sure, Dr. Horrible is "trash." Gotcha.

Reddit dude made the bush league mistake of contradicting himself. For a while he stuck to obscure but already known details to add an air of credibility.

Experien

So this is not at all like Batman vs Superman where before everyone saw it, a bunch of "praise" came out for the movie by early screeners that happened before the press screeners?

Sure, sounds totally believable and not at all fake.

Top Bottom