• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kadokawa (Metal Max, Demon Gaze) purchases From Software

MormaPope

Banned
(But see, here's the thing: Maybe you have! But as you can see, making assumptions about each other based on nothing isn't fun.)

At the end of the day, I have an opinion. It's different than yours. And that's OK. Neither of us is wrong.

Panicking instantly for no listed reason besides "I didn't like that one game they developed" is a pretty shaky opinion.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
So apparently Kadokawa has acquired From Software from Transcosmos (parent company? Not sure). Looking into synergy with Kadokawa Games (ick).

http://gamebiz.jp/?p=129706

Still making sense of this. Sorry for the sparse deets.

For clarification, Kadokawa was behind Demon Gaze, Killer is Dead, and a large variety of shitty games based on anime series. They're also behind the money making giant that is KanColle.

In before Armored KanColleCore.

Considering how much money Kadokawa has as a massive publishing giant on various fronts and how they have been more aggressive with the game side of things, not really surprising if they want to put a more established developer under their wing.

Behind as published as they are usually not the actual developer, to keep things clear for folks.

cuilan

The return of kings field STARTS HERE

o1UNa.gif

Hopefully. But I'm not more optimistic than I was before...

Squire

Banned
Panicking instantly for no listed reason besides "I didn't like that one game they developed" is a pretty shaky opinion.

Does it really matter if he/she isn't far off from the reality, anyway?

I've liked some of Kodokawa's published games, but they really do mostly deal in stale stuff.

MormaPope

Banned
To me the disappointing part of this is that Kadokawa spends very little money on their games, and have a poor track record with identifying and supporting quality.

Unless they intend to change their behavior, I'd have rather a larger publisher bought them.

Was there ever talk about a large publisher purchasing From Software?

At least Kadokawa is investing and aiming to be a bigger player in the non-mobile gaming space when everyone else is chasing Puzzle and Dragon.

To me the disappointing part of this is that Kadokawa spends very little money on their games, and have a poor track record with identifying and supporting quality.

Unless they intend to change their behavior, I'd have rather a larger publisher bought them.

This is my biggest concern, though this could be a sign that they're willing to start putting money into games.

Before anyone asks, this probably won't have any ramifications on Dark Souls. The games are self-published by From in Japan, with Bandai taking western duties. Kadokawa doesn't do western game publishing, so Bandai will likely continue on.

Okay. That doesn't mean they can't get rid of some of the team.

Beth Cyra

Do Kadokawa publish games over here, especially ones with large marketing campaigns.

Good news, Namco got boned.

I highly doubt this is the case actually.

Namco Bandai do alot of business with Kadokawa, for instance alot of their Gundam works are being published monthly by Kadokawa.

I really don't see much if anything changing when it comes to From's relationship with Namco Bandai.

Takao

Banned
XSEED localizes their games usually, for the few that come over.

I'd say NISA would be the more appropriate company to attach Kadokawa Games to. They've published Demon Gaze and are bringing over Natural Doctrine, which is Kadokawa's first internally developed game.

Unless Kadokawa starts up a western games branch, I imagine Bandai Namco will pick up publishing rights to From's games. They have much deeper pockets than the smaller guys.

Parakeetman

I'd say NISA would be the more appropriate company to attach Kadokawa Games to. They've published Demon Gaze and are bringing over Natural Doctrine, which is Kadokawa's first internally developed game.

Seeing how Natural Doctrine is and the bugs that exists I wouldnt want to put that thing exactly on my "history" of "internally developed" games. And this is me who actually likes the game.

Someone tell me what a Kadokawa is and what this means.

Kadokawa is a major media group in Japan, they have a manga, anime, magazine, and games division all under the one group.
Their most famous stuff you would know them for is Haruhi Suzamyia, Lucky Star, The Vision of Escaflowne, Srgt. Frog , Soul Eater (anime), and they did help with the development of the Lunar Silver Star and Eternal Blue remakes back on the PS1

EDIT: Kadokawa was actually the Publisher not the developer of the PS1 Lunar Remakes, Game Arts was the developer.

Kasumin

Huh, I remember back when Index was going under and Atlus was up for purchase, I was saying that a Japanese publisher should buy them.

Interesting that a publisher DID end up buying From Software.

Dark Souls manga?

I will confess that all I wanted out of Atlus being purchased by a manga publisher was an Etrian Odyssey 4 manga...

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Kadokawa is a huge group. I think they are just looking to expand their business. And From Software seems like an excellent buy. Doesn't seem like anything should change.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Unless Kadokawa starts up a western games branch, I imagine Bandai Namco will pick up publishing rights to From's games. They have much deeper pockets than the smaller guys.

XSEED and NISA on From's games would pretty much be the death of them so I'm assuming it's not them.

I have a feeling most of you think this company can't do wrong cause its a japanese company. Business is business and if From Software gets gutted it gets gutted.
As MetriodPrimeRib said, be cautious.

Parakeetman

Huh, I remember back when Index was going under and Atlus was up for purchase, I was saying that a Japanese publisher should buy them.

Interesting that a publisher DID end up buying From Software.

Dark Souls manga?

I will confess that all I wanted out of Atlus being purchased by a manga publisher was an Etrian Odyssey 4 manga...

We already have a Dark Souls manga. Its called Berserk...and its never going to be finished... D:

Beth Cyra

I have a feeling most of you think this company can't do wrong cause its a japanese company. Business is business and if From Software gets gutted it gets gutted.

At this point, there is zero reason to believe From Software will have anything negative happen to them.

always thought one of the big three would buy them. sony would have been my best bet but guess not.
Namco Bandai seemed to be the likely candidate here considering the amount of success they had with Dark Souls, which also allowed them to penetrate in the PC market. this purchase just came out of nowhere.

XSEED localizes their games usually, for the few that come over.

I highly doubt this is the case actually.

Namco Bandai do alot of business with Kadokawa, for instance alot of their Gundam works are being published monthly by Kadokawa.

I really don't see much if anything changing when it comes to From's relationship with Namco Bandai.

Yeah its their's ability to market a big title I am worried about. I know there a massive company. Maybe its still possible for another publisher to advertise the game abroad.

MormaPope

Banned

Oh please, have you not lurked in any Square Enix, Capcom, or Namco threads? I'd like to wait a bit before proclaiming From Software is dead and the Souls series is over and that the sky is indeed falling.

Does this mean that Dark Souls III will be supaa kawaii?

It means Dark Souls 3's graphic will be crazy jagged and all the female voice actors will be swapped with whatever inexperienced in-house talents.

Then they will create their own version of the video game awards and all the winners will oddly be related to Kadokawa related media.

Also Dark Souls 3 on Dengeki!

Kadokawa is a major media group in Japan, they have a manga, anime, magazine, and games division all under the one group.
Their most famous stuff you would know them for is Haruhi Suzamyia, Lucky Star, The Vision of Escaflowne, Srgt. Frog , Soul Eater (anime), and they did help with the development of the Lunar Silver Star and Eternal Blue remakes back on the PS1

Oh I've actually watched Haruhi and Lucky Star (and I've only watched like 5 anime shows in my life lol).
Don't really know any of the other stuff though, I looked up their games too and don't know any of them either.

Do we know what they usually do with their gaming stuff? Like would they buy From and let them keep going on with what they do, or would they interfere or what?

Oh please, have you not lurked in any Square Enix, Capcom, or Namco threads? I'd like to wait a bit before proclaiming From Software is dead and the Souls series is over and that the sky is indeed falling.

As i said. Business is business and whatever happens happens.
How much do you actually know about Kadokawa, From Software, or their respective histories

Doesn't matter what their history is. Team can still get gutted. I don't know why some of you fail to realize this.

May16

And that's OK. Because we're humans and we're prone to disagree. If we all felt the same way about everything, there'd be little point to forums at all.

You seem to want my opinion of every Kadokawa game, which I sadly cannot give. I am not sure if you can either, but I would love to hear them, since this is a discussion forum :)
So, at your request (though if I misunderstand please let me know), I'll add that in general, Kadokawa games don't appeal to me, even the popular Seins;Gate. Not a fan of Demon Gaze (though I might be mistaken about their involvement with that one), never interested enough to try the Japan-only stuff like Photokano, AKB-48, and Amagami (just not my thing).

Which were your favorite Kadokawa games?

Kadokawa is good supporter for Vita so great news here.

And this wil be their biggest game studio and first one with real international following so it should be getting proper attention from them.

Also they latest game - Natural Doctrine - has PS4 version so they are less afraid of current gen then traditional "big" Japanise publishers.

Parakeetman

And that's OK. Because we're humans and we're prone to disagree. If we all felt the same way about everything, there'd be little point to forums at all.

You seem to want my opinion of every Kadokawa game, which I sadly cannot give. I am not sure if you can either, but I would love to hear them, since this is a discussion forum :)
So, at your request (though if I misunderstand please let me know), I'll add that in general, Kadokawa games don't appeal to me, even the popular Seins;Gate. Not a fan of Demon Gaze (though I might be mistaken about their involvement with that one), never interested enough to try the Japan-only stuff like Photokano, AKB-48, and Amagami (just not my thing).

Which were your favorite Kadokawa games?

They were just the publisher for Demon Gaze. Experience Inc. is the developer.

Top Bottom