• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kadokawa (Metal Max, Demon Gaze) purchases From Software

Not a fan of the Souls games, but I loved 3D Dot Game Heroes. Therefore, From is cool in my book. I just hope that others don't see them as a Souls only developer, which could probably end up with them turning into one.

Edit: yay @ the post above me. :) However, I'd probably be more interested in more original games from them over a sequel to it.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I don't understand some people in this thread.

Dark Souls II is better reviewed and selling faster than Dark Souls I.
It is a growth franchise in a market that is very much in a decline from when the original launched (most comparable titles are down double digit in size from previous releases).

And people are saying if From continues on the path of DS2, the franchise is dead?
Does not compute. (Is this just flamebait due to poor lighting?) This series is at the brink of something really big, especially for a japenese developer, and they did the investment to push it over the edge. Presumably, Kadakoawa is making that investment (I would wager, it's not like I even saw this coming). So, they should continue with the spending required to make it big and just rock it next release.

I don't see why doing DS3 would 'doom From.'?
Now is the time to do 2-3 more of these and make some big revenue and expand down the line.

Nabs

Not a fan of the Souls games, but I loved 3D Dot Game Heroes. Therefore, From is cool in my book. I just hope that others don't see them as a Souls only developer, which could probably end up with them turning into one.

Edit: yay @ the post above me. :) However, I'd probably be more interested in more original games from them over a sequel to it.

I thought they just published that game.

Going with the Christian Nutt line of thinking again that this will either be the bestest thing ever or the death of them and nothing in between.

No one has mentioned it yet, but some people might be more familiar with Kadokawa Games if we used the old name for them -- ASCII Games.

Intriguing...

NeededSleep

Hrm, wasnt expecting this. I dont have high hopes for it either.

This scares me for the future of Kings Field games. Then again I think the future wasn't great in the first place :(

I'm simultaneously surprised and not surprised. Japanese media has an insane amount of multimedia concentration in the hands of a few companies, so Kadokawa (which has its manga and anime divisions already) buying up a game company makes sense, especially since the Japanese market contracting.

Hopefully they won't screw us over when it comes to products, but they shaft the anime licensors hard, so there's no guarantee that they won't fuck us over.

Necroth

Neo Member
sörine;109791712 said:
Well I guess Agetec gets to publish Armored Core again now.

If anything, it probably means that King's Field I, II, and TAC along with Shadow Tower, Armored Core I-III, and From Software's other PS1 and PS2 games are going to be released on the PSN store in the near future. Maybe we'll even see Shadow Tower Abyss one day if SCEA changes their policies on allowing changes in PSN classics.

Cyrano

I'm simultaneously surprised and not surprised. Japanese media has an insane amount of multimedia concentration in the hands of a few companies, so Kadokawa (which has its manga and anime divisions already) buying up a game company makes sense, especially since the Japanese market contracting.

Hopefully they won't screw us over when it comes to products, but they shaft the anime licensors hard, so there's no guarantee that they won't fuck us over.
Yeah, this is mostly what's worrying to me. That and it seems like most of the games Kadokawa's published lately are Playstation exclusive, and I somewhat doubt they'll enter the PC market anytime soon.

Hrm...

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
If anything, it probably means that King's Field I, II, and TAC along with Shadow Tower, Armored Core I-III, and From Software's other PS1 and PS2 games are going to be released on the PSN store in the near future. Maybe we'll even see Shadow Tower Abyss one day if SCEA changes their policies on allowing changes in PSN classics.

More like Shadow Tower Abyss was never localized and I highly doubt that they would go and use resources to localize an old PS2 game regardless of how great it was. (one of my favorite titles here personally)

Necroth

Neo Member
More like Shadow Tower Abyss was never localized and I highly doubt that they would go and use resources to localize an old PS2 game regardless of how great it was. (one of my favorite titles here personally)

I was thinking that Agetec might have still have their localized script hidden away somewhere. I mean this news story says the localization was nearly complete:

http://www.1up.com/news/agetec-cancels-shadow-tower-abyss

Of course, it's just as likely that it was discarded, so who knows. I mean, if they promoted it right, it could sell a decent amount, but it would depend on the status of that localized script and if Kadokawa wants to spend the money to finish it and pay for the programming, QA, and other costs.

Yuterald

I was thinking that Agetec might have still have their localized script hidden away somewhere. I mean this news story says the localization was nearly complete:

Of course, it's just as likely that it was discarded, so who knows. I mean, if they promoted it right, it could sell a decent amount, but it would depend on the status of that localized script and if Kadokawa wants to spend the money to finish it and pay for the programming and QA work for it.

My brother and I were big enough dork masters back in the day where we used to hang out and post on the Agetec forums. Mark Johnson would frequent the boards and even respond to our emails regarding their games too. We were so hyped for Abyss when it was announced and we were completely devastated when Agetec had to cancel it. If I recall correctly, we were told they had the entire game localized other than the game's instruction booklet. It's funny to me that at the time Sony's excuse for not giving the "okay" was the graphics and gameplay, according to that article, at least. Yet they somehow got Echo Night (which is a series I also love) approved when it's (in my opinion) WAY more niche than even Shadow Tower. I mean, it's a PC style first person adventure game versus a first person dungeon crawler with swords and guns. So fucking weird. There had to been more to that situation that I'm sure we'll never know.

RangerBAD

I think if Kadokawa takes any sort of creative freedom away from From Software, we'll see a lot of key people leave (Miyazaki) and probably create another company. So they had better not do that.

I hope there's a level devoted to Etna in the next souls game, and prinny guards everywhere

YOU DIED DOOD

even though NISa wouldn't probably involved in publishing

Hrmmm...could you elaborate on this? I'm nurturing a hope they behave like Sega and GungHo have reguarding their new toy.

I wonder how long before we see a Dark Souls manga and/or light novel series.

Or DARK novel series, amirite!?!?!?

Parakeetman

Of course, it's just as likely that it was discarded, so who knows. I mean, if they promoted it right, it could sell a decent amount, but it would depend on the status of that localized script and if Kadokawa wants to spend the money to finish it and pay for the programming, QA, and other costs.

Unfortunately unless you have someone whos insanely fucking good at doing business proposals and even then there is a high chance that the "suits" will shoot it down just because its a game on an "outdated" console for an "unproven" title. Dont think its going to happen realistically as they have to focus their efforts on the current existing gen / market. That and there is not even a JP digital version too. Then again other titles on the US side have appeared that Japan never got digitally such as Atlus & Kuzunoha, but that game was at least localized.

Unfortunately unless you have someone whos insanely fucking good at doing business proposals and even then there is a high chance that the "suits" will shoot it down just because its a game on an "outdated" console for an "unproven" title. Dont think its going to happen realistically as they have to focus their efforts on the current existing gen / market. That and there is not even a JP digital version too. Then again other titles on the US side have appeared that Japan never got digitally such as Atlus & Kuzunoha, but that game was at least localized.
A bigger issue is that according to Vic Ireland Sony has largely shut down certification of new PS2 games. Apparently there might still some holdouts in South America and Japan/Asia, but even if they're still accepting new games, that's a lot of time and effort for a game that is unlikely to move many copies.

Just some perspective on Kadokawa: this corporation was the commercial movie industry in Japan in the '80s. Haruki Kadokawa earned his reputation by making extravagant film productions and lavishing his personal life with parties and replica galleons; this corp's the biggun, and their manga arm alone should keep things that way still.

Parakeetman

A bigger issue is that according to Vic Ireland Sony has largely shut down certification of new PS2 games. Apparently there might still some holdouts in South America and Japan/Asia, but even if they're still accepting new games, that's a lot of time and effort for a game that is unlikely to move many copies.

Thats a damned shame considering, but I suppose there is no reason to leave it open, when realistically who would be trying to cert new PS2 stuff. Let alone localize old PS2 titles.

Exactly, what I was saying basically with that last sentence of yours.

sublimit

Banned
People say that Kadokawa is very big as a company so i was wondering could it be possible for them to invest with bigger budgets on From Soft's flagship titles like Armored Core and Dark Souls in order to expand the appeal of those games to western gamers even more?

Dark Souls maybe isn't really in need of a bigger budget (although just the switch to current gen platforms will be enough to raise the budgets significantly) but the AC franchise on the other hand could use some more money spend on graphics and performance.

Hrmmm...could you elaborate on this? I'm nurturing a hope they behave like Sega and GungHo have reguarding their new toy.
They don't allow western companies like Funimation to put out Blu-ray releases because of reverse importation. So if you want Kadokawa stuff in the best quality possible, you go to torrents and find subbed/dubbed BD rips.

Wait the same Kadokawa Games that STILL won't release Yuji Naka's Rodea the Sky Soldier because they wanted a 3DS version to launch with the Wii version? damn.

Well guess I can say I didn't see this coming, but hope FS is treated well.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
So apparently Kadokawa has acquired From Software from Transcosmos (parent company? Not sure).

In case anyone was wondering, FromSoftware were previously a subsidiary of Transcosmos (an IT company interested in them for their technology and Meet-Me virtual life business). Kadokawa is of course better known for their ties with sub-culture and a definitive gaming branch, seemingly interested in From for their more recent/popular exploits. So purely from a "synergy" perspective, it seems like this match makes more sense than the previous one.

Edit:
After reading through the thread, it seems a few people are worried about the idea of From and Kadokawa creating "new IP" together.
Were you guys worried when From were helping Transcosmos and Co-Core develop F2P games for a 3D virtual world that no one in the west has even heard of?

Because that's still happening right now.

It might stop happening soon due to this change in parent company, but the point is that there's a whole bunch of stuff that goes on in this industry that the general public and fans don't know about.
Not necessarily shifty, underhand stuff; just stuff we don't really need to know. Stuff that doesn't affect development of our favourite franchises, but only keeps the gears greased in the background while we enjoy what's in plain view.

There's a lot of intelligent insight into Kadokawa and the two company's histories in this thread. I urge anyone with concerns/suspicions/speculations to have a good browse and do some homework before jumping to any conclusions.
Knee-jerk reactions can be amusing, sure. It's possible you don't like any of Kadokawa's multimedia properties, sure. But don't base your argument and go spreading fear according to nothing but personal opinion.

The entity known as "From" is not just Demon's/Dark Souls or Armored Core. It might be to you, but that doesn't matter.
They are a 230-odd strong group of people with varied talents and goals, and the possibilities of what they might do next (i.e. after [your favourite game here]) are extremely open-ended regardless of who owns their majority shares at the tippity-top.

Cetra

I don't understand some people in this thread.

Dark Souls II is better reviewed and selling faster than Dark Souls I.
It is a growth franchise in a market that is very much in a decline from when the original launched (most comparable titles are down double digit in size from previous releases).

And people are saying if From continues on the path of DS2, the franchise is dead?
Does not compute. (Is this just flamebait due to poor lighting?) This series is at the brink of something really big, especially for a japenese developer, and they did the investment to push it over the edge. Presumably, Kadakoawa is making that investment (I would wager, it's not like I even saw this coming). So, they should continue with the spending required to make it big and just rock it next release.

I don't see why doing DS3 would 'doom From.'?
Now is the time to do 2-3 more of these and make some big revenue and expand down the line.

Dark Souls II did that based on the word of mouth from Dark Souls 1. Not on the merits of Dark Souls II itself. DkSII is a solid game. But's it merely stands in Dark Souls 1's shadow. People are critical of Dark Souls II because some of the changes made to the core mechanics of Dark Souls do the game (and by extension the series) a disservice (floaty combat, too many bonfires, soul memory, less interconnected level design).

However, I do agree it's hyperbolic to say that the Souls series will die if it continues on this way for the reasons you pointed out.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Dark Souls II did that based on the word of mouth from Dark Souls 1. Not on the merits of Dark Souls II itself. DkSII is a solid game. But's it merely stands in Dark Souls 1's shadow. People are critical of Dark Souls II because some of the changes made to the core mechanics of Dark Souls do the game (and by extension the series) a disservice (floaty combat, too many bonfires, soul memory, less interconnected level design).

However, I do agree it's hyperbolic to say that the Souls series will die if it continues on this way for the reasons you pointed out.

Dark Souls 1's word of mouth got Dark Souls 2 better review scores?

89 vs 92 across ~30 some odd outlets?

I really hope this means that From Software will start developing games from Kadokawa's very cute franchises. I really like what this could mean.

I really hope that Kadokawa influences From Software into making cuter games. Well, if they're open minded to doing that sort of thing, at least.

To be honest, I've never been all that very fond of From Software's games or found them very appealing. I've bought them on Steam because I want to support Japanese games on the PC, and they're very inexpensive.

But I'm really not into dark fantasy. I like bright and colourful anime atmospheres, not dark and gloomy atmospheres. Of course, I don't want them doing something other than what they want to develop. But if they were to make something brighter and cuter that would make me happy and appeal to me a lot more.

To me, this is another positive thing happening because I like Kadokawa's things more than From Software. And this is a great opportunity for me to enjoy From Software's games more.

I don't think Kadokawa is publishing that game, also that latest Experience Vita game, Tokyo New World Record:Operation Abyss or something is being published by Mages/5pb so it's possible something went wrong with Kadokawa-Experience partnership.

All I want is this game and Stranger of Sword City.
Someone bring these to NA!

MogCakes

To me, this is another positive thing happening because I like Kadokawa's things more than From Software. And this is a great opportunity for me to enjoy From Software's games more.

Dark themes are pretty much From's schtick, though they also dabble in the absurd (Metal Wolf Chaos). Who knows though, they could go any direction with this door open.

Miyazaki is the new President of From Software

フロム・ソフトウェア役員体制
【役員体制】

• 代表取締役会長(新任):安田 善巳
  • 取締役社長(新任):宮崎 英高
  • 専務取締役:竹内 将典
  • 取締役:中島 英一
  • 取締役(新任):坂口 城治
  • 取締役(新任):佐々木 憲太郎
  • 取締役(新任):佐藤 辰男
  • 執行役員:鈴木 健之
  • 執行役員(新任):児島 由三