• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kadokawa (Metal Max, Demon Gaze) purchases From Software

Coxy

Kadokawa and Namco are very close anyway, they cross invested in 2007 and their new director as of last year joined from namco

bloke

I don't understand the hate, Kadokawa and Experience make lots of good dungeon crawlers, this is their last one
Stranger-of-the-Village-of-the-Sword-2903-2.jpg

I don't see why Kadokawa shouldn't let From make other good Souls games...
Add that Kadokawa seems to like Vita so this can only mean Souls games on Vita! XD
One can hope right?

I don't think Kadokawa is publishing that game, also that latest Experience Vita game, Operation Abyss or something is being published by Mages/5pb so it's possible something went wrong with Kadokawa-Experience partnership.

Maedhros

I don't think that From had any saying in this... Neither I think that this will change shit in the end. They effectively only wanted to acquire a developer who makes japanese games aimed good on both markets.

And I doubt the budget for Dark Souls will be lower because of this. It's a great IP, I can see they continuing it's legacy like always.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I don't think Kadokawa is publishing that game, also that latest Experience Vita game, Operation Abyss or something is being published by Mages/5pb so it's possible something went wrong with Kadokawa-Experience partnership.

Mmmm... You are right.

beril

Imo From should've stayed independent. They're building value at the moment. It's far too premature for a takeover/buyout.

They weren't independent. That said, being owned by another publisher, although one focusing mostly on manga and anime, may be a bit different than being owned by a generic IT company

Buzzman

Banned
Well, new IP lovers will be happy, as the press release states explicitly that the plan is to use both Kadokawa Games and From Software's strengths in synergy to create new IP on the new platforms with an eye on the west.

A new IP aimed at the west? :/ let's hope it's not a shooter atleast.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Here you can read an English source
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...cquires-dark-souls/armored-core-from-software

Kadokawa announced on Monday its financial results for the period ending in March 2014. In the results, it revealed that its board of directors decided to acquire 80% of the game maker From Software and make the smaller company a subsidiary. Kadokawa will be buying this stake of From Software from the game maker's previous owner, Trans Comos, and the transfer will conclude on May 21.

The Kadokawa Group plans to have From Software, along with its existing Kadokawa Games, as its core game companies to expand its business.

From Software developed the Armored Core franchise, the Dark Souls franchise, the Tenchu franchise, and other popular game titles for consoles and portable systems. It was established on November 1, 1986, and it has 268.5 million yen (about US$2.6 million) in capital. As of October 2013, it has 230 employees.

From is not that small...

MormaPope

Banned
Can't wait for Knee Jerk: the thread to reach its full potential.

Why would one want a company like Sony, M$ or Nintendo to buy From Software? What us, gamers, would gain with the franchise becoming exclusive? Geez, people.

Because blind optimism for console manufacturers and complete cynicism for everything else makes a lot of sense apparently. Its not like Sony hasn't been downsizing and restructuring drastically. Microsoft's decision to secure Titanfall was a better decision than spending that money on their own development studios. Nintendo is killing it when it comes to the Wii-U.

At this rate I'm surprised people aren't begging and pleading that Square Enix bought From Soft, even though its current owner is probably more stable financially.

Gotta jerk dem knees.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I don't understand the hate, Kadokawa and Experience make lots of good dungeon crawlers, this is their last one
Stranger-of-the-Village-of-the-Sword-2903-2.jpg

I don't see why Kadokawa shouldn't let From make other good Souls games...
Add that Kadokawa seems to like Vita so this can only mean Souls games on Vita! XD
One can hope right?

Tokyo New World Record: Operation Abyss is being published by Mages/5pb like you said. Previous company was CyberFront.

Stranger of Sword City: White Palace (X360 versions Experience is publishing themselves)

No word on whos doing it for the Vita version yet, the publishing that is.

Mages/5pb also apparently has the license for Meikyu Cross Blood Infinity Ultimate (PSV) which they will be releasing in August. The original Meikyu Cross Blood Infinity (PSV) was under CyberFront. The only 2 titles Kadokawa had was Students of Round: The Eternal Legend (PSP) and Demon Gaze (PSV)

With that being said things were already split up between the two companies. CyberFront and Kadokawa for Exp. Inc. titles.

It looks more like CyberFront had invested in the (Generation Xth) series IP which is why they have Meikyu Cross Blood Infinity (Ultimate) and Tokyo New World Record: Operation Abyss. Kadokawa on the other hand opted for the fantasy related titles. That and there is a small connection between Students of Round & Demon Gaze.

2+2 sorry but yeah no, Kadokawa "might" have been involved only with Demon Gaze, though Im kinda doubting what they really did considering pretty much most of the general mechanics / graphical resources was stuff Exp Inc already uses and game design. Asides from that Students of Round existed before hand from the PC version. And those were the only 2 dungeon crawlers the 2 companies put out together. So not sure where you are getting the "Kadokawa and Experience make lots" of idea from. Not to mention that they have nothing to do with Strange of Sword City also currently, for sure not development wise.

They weren't independent. That said, being owned by another publisher, although one focusing mostly on manga and anime, may be a bit different than being owned by a generic IT company

I was under the impression that they made commisioned projects for larger publishers such as Namco, besides developing their own projects.

Orayn

So .. will From continue to make Soul games or what ?

No. Souls is canceled forever because Kadokawa, being a game publisher, is philosophically opposed to releasing games that sell well and are positively received by critics and consumers. They're probably recalling all unsold copies of the series and burning them as we speak.

MormaPope

Banned
No. Souls is canceled forever because Kadokawa, being a game publisher, is philosophically opposed to releasing games that sell well and are positively received by critics and consumers. I heard they were recalling all unsold copies of the series and burning them as we speak.

Gwyn would be proud.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Kadokawa made Natural Doctrine
20140224102936!NAtURAL_DOCtRINE_Cover_Art.png

IIRC in the official thread it was appreciated, it should have a deep and punishing gameplay(IIRC someone defined it the Dark Souls of SRPGs lol)

Tokyo New World Record: Operation Abyss is being published by Mages/5pb like you said. Previous company was CyberFront.

Stranger of Sword City: White Palace (X360 versions Experience is publishing themselves)

No word on whos doing it for the Vita version yet, the publishing that is.

Mages/5pb also apparently has the license for Meikyu Cross Blood Infinity Ultimate (PSV) which they will be releasing in August. The original Meikyu Cross Blood Infinity (PSV) was under CyberFront. The only 2 titles Kadokawa had was Students of Round: The Eternal Legend (PSP) and Demon Gaze (PSV)

With that being said things were already split up between the two companies. CyberFront and Kadokawa for Exp. Inc. titles.

It looks more like CyberFront had invested in the (Generation Xth) series IP which is why they have Meikyu Cross Blood Infinity (Ultimate) and Tokyo New World Record: Operation Abyss. Kadokawa on the other hand opted for the fantasy related titles. That and there is a small connection between Students of Round & Demon Gaze.
For some reason i have always associated Experience to Kadokawa lol.

wsippel

Banned
I'm more surprised by how this seemingly came out of nowhere.

It's not so shocking that they went big on the purchase though. Kadokawa has their hands in pretty much all forms of media here, but their gaming presence has always been a bit lacking.
They do own all major gaming publications via Enterbrain and ASCII, no? Which could be a bit of a problem in itself if Famitsu and Dengeki review Kadokawa games - not that they ever had much credibility to begin with.

Parakeetman

Kadokawa made Natural Doctrine
20140224102936!NAtURAL_DOCtRINE_Cover_Art.png

IIRC in the official thread it was appreciated, it should have a deep and punishing gameplay(IIRC someone defined it the Dark Souls of SRPGs lol)

For some reason i have always associated Experience to Kadokawa lol.

And that game is a perfect example of why they should never be allowed to make a game again with the critical S rank type of bugs it has / had. Not to mention overall quality assurance in the title itself compounded, by no marketing and not exactly the best graphical design which really brings down the game which does have an interesting gameplay system. That and unbalanced gameplay on some of the non-story critical levels.

NAtURAL DOCtRINE Import |OT| - GAME OVER MAN! GAME OVER!

That title seems like they just let the team run amok and nobody was really watching what the fuck they were doing. Then kicked the half formed "baby bird" out of the nest.

This is coming from someone who actually likes the game and spent a hell of a lot of time with it.

In closing that game is the last, VERY LAST example one should give for a self developed title by Kadokawa. At least the US should be getting a more stable version from all the issues us players here in Japan have been finding...

18-Volt

Meh, they should have bought Experience instead. Those guys were trying to find another publisher for their two new titles. I don't know what it means for localization that now 5pb is publishing one of them.

Parakeetman

Meh, they should have bought Experience instead. Those guys were trying to find another publisher for their two new titles. I don't know what it means for localization that now 5pb is publishing one of them.

Too niche. It doesnt look as good on paper as when you can show some crazy numbers that tie into From Software and the Souls series. Let alone general "hype" from the West.

Also considering literally all Exp / Team Muramasa does is do Wizardry type of titles, its not like they have a portfolio that shows they have experience to branch out into other titles if necessary, unlike From Software which has a pretty extensive history.

tafer

I don't know where this came from or where it's going...

Even when I don't like it (if it isn't broken, don't fix it), good things may come out of it... who the hell I'm kidding, all I want is a western release of KanColle, damn it!

Oh and don't fuck up souls.

Never forget that Kadokawa brought us the greatest boxart that has ever been made

http://i.imgur.com/5gOrm3q.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/VuXIeiX.gif

2+2 sorry but yeah no, Kadokawa "might" have been involved only with Demon Gaze, though Im kinda doubting what they really did considering pretty much most of the general mechanics / graphical resources was stuff Exp Inc already uses and game design. Asides from that Students of Round existed before hand from the PC version. And those were the only 2 dungeon crawlers the 2 companies put out together. So not sure where you are getting the "Kadokawa and Experience make lots" of idea from. Not to mention that they have nothing to do with Strange of Sword City also currently, for sure not development wise.
Back in 2012, Stranger (as a 360 exclusive), Students PSP and Demon Gaze were all annouced as part of a larger Kadokawa Games / Experience partnership called "DRPG Progress". With Experience self-publishing Stranger now it looks like this is no longer a thing, but for a while the two seemingly had long-term plans.

What? Had no idea Kadokawa was big enough to do that. Or that From was small enough....

I. Wow. This.

No! They need time to grow and stretch first! I just discovered their games

UrbanRats

Can't wait for Knee Jerk: the thread to reach its full potential.

Because blind optimism for console manufacturers and complete cynicism for everything else makes a lot of sense apparently. Its not like Sony hasn't been downsizing and restructuring drastically. Microsoft's decision to secure Titanfall was a better decision than spending that money on their own development studios. Nintendo is killing it when it comes to the Wii-U.

At this rate I'm surprised people aren't begging and pleading that Square Enix bought From Soft, even though its current owner is probably more stable financially.

Gotta jerk dem knees.
To clarify what i said earlier, i wouldn't want Microsoft to buy From, since i play most games on PC and i don't even have a current gen console, but i'm just thinking they could be a good asset, if you're trying to win back the hardcore cred, like they are trying to do.

Also Sony is scaling back, or just getting more efficent? TBH the only reason why i'd buy a ps4, wiiu or xbone, is exactly for those exclusives that come from first party.
Everything else goes multiplatform, usually, sooner or later.

Contra11

Banned
No. Souls is canceled forever because Kadokawa, being a game publisher, is philosophically opposed to releasing games that sell well and are positively received by critics and consumers. They're probably recalling all unsold copies of the series and burning them as we speak.

3241590+_e420b5d9ef3dd72c71329cfc3f5b140b.jpg

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Back in 2012, Stranger (as a 360 exclusive), Students PSP and Demon Gaze were all annouced as part of a larger Kadokawa Games / Experience partnership called "DRPG Progress". With Experience self-publishing Stranger now it looks like this is no longer a thing, but for a while the two seemingly had long-term plans.
:O
Now i remember! That's why i assumed that all the Experience DRPGs were under Kadokawa!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
No one has mentioned it yet, but some people might be more familiar with Kadokawa Games if we used the old name for them -- ASCII Games.

Eusis

Someone at Kadokawa sure is ambitious about being a big player in JP game studios.
Better stay that way too, last thing we need is a big player buying up a bunch of studios then going 'nm dont care anymore' and shitcanning everything.

It's alarming nevertheless. It's always disquieting when a larger company buys a smaller one, doubly so when it's a seemingly viable one being bought by a relative unknown in the gaming business.
No one has mentioned it yet, but some people might be more familiar with Kadokawa Games if we used the old name for them -- ASCII Games.
Interesting, then the threads of connection must've been there all along. I need to look into what happened with Agetec, being owned by a larger company would explain why they're ostensibly still around, but that kind of rename implies a full split.

To be more specific, Wikipedia says Kadokawa Games was a merging of the game divisions of ASCII, Enterbrain and Kadokawa.

Yes, Enterbrain as in "the folks who publish Famitsu".

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I must be the only person in the world who has more interest in their titles like Echo Night and Kuon.

Well, I hope they're allowed to continue what they're doing. Part of the reason I like From Software a lot is that they make games that are different to what others are making and are evidently passion projects for those involved.

Also surprised so many people didn't realize From Software was so small. Most of their catalog before the Dark Soul games consisted of niche games, mostly of the RPG, horror, and mecha variety. And most of their titles were published in countries outside Japan by indie translation studios.

BibiMaghoo

These guys?

ASCII was co-founded by Kazuhiko Nishi and Keiichiro Tsukamoto in 1977. Originally a publisher of a magazine with the same name ASCII, talks between Bill Gates and Nishi led to a creation of Microsoft's first overseas sales office, ASCII Microsoft, in 1979.[3][4] Nishi was also known for being the creator of the MSX in 1983, an 8 bits standard computers well known in the former USSR and Japan. In 1984, ASCII engaged itself in semiconductor business, followed by a further expansion into commercial online service in 1985 under the brand of ASCII-NET. As the popularity of home video game systems soared in the 1980s, ASCII became active in the development and publishing of software for popular consoles like the Nintendo Entertainment System and Sega Mega Drive. After Microsoft's public stock offering in 1986, ASCII Microsoft was dissolved.[3] At around the same time, the company was also obliged to reform itself as a result of its aggressive diversification in the first half of 1980s.[5] The company went public in 1989.

I don't think many people realize just how big Kadokawa is.
Good acquisition for them. I don't think this will change anything at From.

Shengar

How is this thing even possible?
While the Kadokawa Game makes bomba games, they also supports niche titles wich perfectly fits for FromSoft, so I guess this is not actually bad. I hope Miyazaki's secret project still going.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The only thing that worries me is the new ownership continuing to let From not advance the Souls franchise. For all the sales and building fanbase, the series has not advanced much in the graphics and gameplay department.

It's time for FROM to start evolving the game because it's becoming predictable.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I just remembered Kadokawa games publish many of Grasshopper Manufacturer's games, so I don't think there is much to worry about. If they will fund and publish those games, I assume they're very open to unique games aimed at niches.

Top Bottom