• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West presents Yeezus |OT| #YeezySeason Approaches

SeroTyler

First one to talk gets to stay on the aircraft!
Randomly found an iTunes card in my room, can confirm the differences in Black Skinhead, I Am A God, and Send It Up.

SeroTyler

First one to talk gets to stay on the aircraft!
Probably late as fuck, but here are the writer's credits.

1) On Sight: Kanye West, Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo, Thomas Bangalter, Malik Jones, Che Smith, Elon Rutberg, Cydel Young, Derrick Watkins, Mike Dean & Keith Carter, Sr.

2) Black Skinhead: Kanye West, Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo, Thomas Bangalter, Malik Jones, Cydel Young, Elon Rutberg, Wasalu Jaco, Sakiya Sandifer, Mike Dean & Derrick Watkins

3) I Am A God (feat. God): Kanye West, Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo, Thomas Bangalter, Clifton Bailey, Harvel Hart, Anand Bakshi, Rahul Burman, Ross Birchard, Justin Vernon, Malik Jones, Che Smith, Elon Rutberg, Cydel Young, Mike Dean & Derek Watkins

4) New Slaves: Kanye West, Christopher Breaux, Cydell Young, Gabor Presser, Anna Adamis, Ben Bronfman, Malik Jones, Che Smith, Elon Rutberg, Sakiya Sandifer, Louis Johnson & Mike Dean

5) Hold My Liquor: Kanye West, Mike Dean, Justin Vernon, Keith Cozart, Elon Rutberg, Che Smith, Malik Jones, Alejandro Ghersi, Cydel Young & Derrick Watkins

6) I'm In It: Kanye West, Justin Vernon, Andre Harris, Jill Scott, Vidal Davis, Carvin Haggins, Kenny Lattimore, Jeffrey Campbell, Josh Leary, Malik Jones, Cydel Young, Sakiya Sandifer, Elon Rutberg & Mike Dean

7) Blood On The Leaves: Kanye West, Ross Birchard, Lewis Allen, Elon Rutberg, Malik Jones, Tony Williams, Cydel Young & Mike Dean

8) Guilt Trip: Kanye West, Scott Mescudi, Keith Elam, Kevin Hansford, Dupre Kelly, Chris Martin, Al Terik Wardrick, Marlon Williams, Terrence Thornton, Tyree Pittman, Cydel Young, Mike Dean & Larry Griffin Jr.

9) Send It Up: Kanye West, Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo, Thomas Bangalter, Michael Levy, Moses Davis, Colin York, Lowell Dunbar, Louis Johnson, Alejandro Ghersi, Sakiya Sandifer, Ab-Liva, Elon Rutberg & Mike Dean

10) Bound 2: Kanye West, John Stephens, Charlie Wilson, Elon Rutberg, Norman Whiteside, Bobby Massey, Robert Dukes, Che Pope, Cydel Young, Malik Jones, Sakiya Sandifer, Mike Dean & Ronnie Self

Lupe on Black Skinhead, CyHi on almost every single track, no Travi$ Scott at all.

SKINNER!

Banned
Well deserved, record is almost flawless for me.
http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/18172-kanye-west-yeezus/

Listened to it in order all last night and certain tracks slowly started to stand out. Got it on shuffle now at work while wearing headphones. Really hated Black Skinhead when I heard it on SNL but it's awesome now. On Sight sounds really great too. It's just I was expecting to be literally blown away like the first time I heard MBDTF. I'm kinda disappointed that Yeezus didn't do that for me. It's definitely a slow burner/grower album.

Anyone know if the Spotify version is the same as the iTunes version? I see both Black Skinhead and I Am a God are labelled "Digital Album Version".

solarus

You guys should read this to have an idea of how Kanye does production now
”[West] is more the producer that oversees everybody now," Dean says during the interview. "He gets teams of producers to work under him. When I first started working with him, I mixed two, three songs on his first record at my house in Texas. I'd say, 'Ah, I could help you on this track.' He'd say, 'I make beats. That's what I do.' That was 10 years ago, I guess. Now he lets everybody put input in and he sorts through it. We’ll have eight producers putting parts on one song and then we’ll just pick through it, pick what’s good."
With so many producers working on one song, Dean says the process becomes layered. "Usually one person will start something and eight other people will add parts," Dean says to interviewer Ricky Camilleri. "Sometimes it'll end up [that] the person that started doesn't have anything on the final song, but they're still producing."
http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/...n-details-kanye-west-s-production-evolution-/
So really even though so many people are credited we have no idea who's input is actually remaining on the final cut, it might have been completely removed, it's a really interesting way of producing.

Mononoke

Banned
The iTunes preview of On Sight sounds the exact same.

Strange, the iTunes version definitely sounds better to my ears. Sounds like there is little tweaks in the mixing. Could just be a placebo effect. But I could swear that on a couple tracks like I Am A God and Black Skinhead, there are slight changes to some of the vocal tracks/effects.

Mononoke

Banned
OK, yeah, I hear the beat dropping out in the iTunes preview of I Am a God. Weird.

Yeah, there is some slight changes. Also, on Black Skinhead iTunes when he says "For my theme song", the vocals are now altered. In the physical version (which was the leak), it's just Kanye casually saying it. Now the voice saying it is deeper/distorted and higher in the mix.

I also think the screaming is louder on I Am A God. The other noticeable change is Hold My Liquor. At least to my ears, the entire track sounds better.

Mononoke

Banned
Yeah, looking at the wave charts, it seems like the iTunes version isn't as brickwalled. It's not a big difference, but not only is the mixing different on some tracks, it's not as mastered as hot. Strange indeed.

Didn't Kanye do this with CS though? (ie. updating tracks on the digital release).

Yeah, looking at the wave charts, it seems like the iTunes version isn't as brickwalled. It's not a big difference, but not only is the mixing different on some tracks, it's not as mastered as hot. Strange indeed.

Didn't Kanye do this with CS though? (ie. updating tracks on the digital release).

Yeah, that's where all the .1 tracks came from. Sort of surprised Def Jam let him do it again, with a solo no less.

Mononoke

Banned
Yeah, that's where all the .1 tracks came from. Sort of surprised Def Jam let him do it again, with a solo no less.

Kind of feel bad for judging the album now. Sort of wish my first listens were with these ones. =/ I guess that's what I get for listening to leaks. Going to buy the iTunes version tomorrow myself. I still have my general view on the album, and I'm not saying that miraculously this will change how I feel about it. But a lot of my issues with this record was production related. So we'll see.

Courage

KtszjI9.jpg

tumblr_m3l4h91H7e1rvwtfeo1_400.gif

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
Charlie Wilson Talks Recording 'Bound 2' For Kanye's 'Yeezus' LP

VIBE: You're featured on Kanye West’s Yeezus album on the track “Bound 2.” Can you explain how that collaboration came together?
Charlie Wilson: ‘Ye, man… first he was trying to get me to do some G.O.O.D. Friday stuff in Hawaii, but the day that they called me I was just waking up from anesthesia from having back surgery. At that time, Hawaii really sounded good to me [laughs]. I wanted to get out of there. My people even asked, “What do you want me to tell Kanye’s people…do you want to go?” And I’m like, “Yeah right… I can’t even get to the door with this walker.” So we missed that session. I later asked my manager if Kanye and them ever called us back, then a few months later ‘Ye hits me up and says they were in Paris and wanted me to come there. This was for his new album [Yeezus].

Kanye is an artist that knows what he wants. What type of direction did he give you for “Bound 2”?
Being in the room with 'Ye, he’s very particular about what he wants you to do in the studio. Yes, he listens to me and gets off on the stuff that I’m doing, but he’s very particular about what he wants you to do. But when you come up with some new lyrics or he comes up with a new adlib he is going to beat that up and keep beating it up until that thing makes sense to him. But it’s a lot of fun working with him and seeing him jump around when things are coming to life.

It sounds like a party, huh?
When I came in for ‘Ye’s session, the first thing I did was pick him up and he’s like, “What’s up family?” I just found out that he and [Kim Kardashian] were expecting a baby and I picked him up so high that 'Ye was like, “Man…you happier than me!” [Laughs] When I started singing someone told me that a new life came into the session. One of the people in the house said, “Mr. Wilson, before you got here the sessions were kind of dead. You brought so much life…everything started changing in the house.” They even told me that Kanye was smiling more [laughs]. I was like, “Wow.” So bringing some happiness to a situation is something I do. I’m not the guy coming into the studio with my face all frowned up like I’m so hard that I can’t say hi.

http://www.vibe.com/article/qa-charlie-wilson-talks-recording-bound-2-kanyes-yeezus

Ragus

Banned
Man, I'd love to go to a party, where it's like 2:00 am, I'm drunk as fuck and Set It Up is being played so loud, that my glasses break.
Or even louder.

Fantastic album.

Charlie Wilson Talks Recording 'Bound 2' For Kanye's 'Yeezus' LP

One of the people in the house said, “Mr. Wilson, before you got here the sessions were kind of dead. You brought so much life…everything started changing in the house.” yeezus[/url]

Funny, considering that's basically Bound 2's purpose on the album too.

Courage

Black Skinhead might be close to topping I Am A God as the best track in the album. Encapsulates the whole album perfectly. The fucking ominous instrumentation is what seals the deal though.

THRILLH0

Banned
I think it's meant to be dumb and ignorant, album is just about giving no fucks and the production is just godly :O

I like the production but I think that the lyrics are a bit too much of a sledgehammer at times.

I mean the already-infamous sweet and sour sauce and civil rights sign lyrics make me want to wretch.

That may indeed be the point and in the club drunk off your ass it might be great fun but I don't know if this will stay in my rotation for long.

Not sure how I feel about it so far. Some really good tracks for sure, others not so much. I will give it a lot more time though. Best part for me has to be Blood on the Leaves, dat beat drop gotdamn.

I like the production but I think that the lyrics are a bit too much of a sledgehammer at times.

I mean the already-infamous sweet and sour sauce and civil rights sign lyrics make me want to wretch.

That may indeed be the point and in the club drunk off your ass it might be great fun but I don't know if this will stay in my rotation for long.
Yea Kanyes only like one notch above Lil Wayne lyrically on this album lol

Lil Wayne being about the lowest of the totem pole

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
It shits and slays lives. I don't get what's so massively anticommercial about it either. I guess the lyrical themes? But sonically it's not as radio unfriendly as MIA's /\/\ /\ Y /\ for instance.

Zeth

Pitchfork review is spot on for me [surprise]. Probably a contender for best of the year. I'm loving it way too much. It's like a massive "fuck you" to everything, which really resonates with me right now for whatever reason. Lyrically it's growing on me, but the sounds are what's really grabbed me.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
listening to it on Spotify Premium right now and the sound drops out on I am a God at that mentioned point. So I think it can be assumed that the Spotify one is the same as the iTunes one.
So the amazon version has the dropout too but some of the other things aren't there. Seems like there may be more than 2 versions.

I also think I heard a change that was not listed on KTT. So whatever the case may be just enjoy the version you have. There seem to be a few.

Top Bottom