• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 59th Annual Grammy Awards |OT| The Year Of Realizing Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeoVGM

Banned
White supremacy my friend. It's just awful. We have to find a way to destroy it. But people don't want to put In work. Having black artist pull out from these award shows would actually move the needle.

Are you gonna reply to the multiple people who questioned your very strange comment about black people and Christianity?

A rap album hasn't won AOTY since Outkast did it in like what, 2003? And it was most likely because of the huge crossover appeal that was Andre's portion of it. I guess they think we'll be okay with just being nominated.

Just finished watching. Loved Bruno Mars, Metallica and bizarrely Lady Gaga too (never a huge fan of her music but that was awesome. Huge shame about the mic), the Prince performances were amazing and Tribe as well. Loved Chance's performance too!

Not surprised at 25 winning.
I can't even snip
I'm getting more and more confused with what you're trying to imply here as well as getting more and more angry at it.

Kusagari

Chance has already accomplished more than Ye ever has at the Grammys by actually winning a non-rap award.

Kanye has 21 Grammys and they're all secluded to the genre ghetto.

LionPride

Banned
A rap album hasn't won AOTY since Outkast did it in like what, 2003? And it was most likely because of the huge crossover appeal that was Andre's portion of it. I guess they think we'll be okay with just being nominated.

Even then it was Speakerboxxx/LoveBelow which wasn't a rap album for the most part. Stankonia should have won when it was nominated

Electric Lady

Neo Member
Every year I swear to myself I don't give a shit about the Grammy's. And every year I'm bummed out by them anyway.
Adele is a fantastic singer that elevates what would otherwise be boring songs if sung by anyone else. But Beyonce... Man. Lemonade really affected me on a personal level. I remember watching the video for it with my brother and his girlfriend, and the three of us were all in tears at various points. A combination of the visuals, the poetry, Beyonce's ability to convey emotion and range, the production and instrumentation choices... It's storytelling at it's finest. I'm not generally a super emotional person, but fuck if I don't feel things for that album. Adele seems like a lovely person and a lovely singer, but I don't even think 25 is her best album, let alone better in any way other than sales.

HaloSon

Banned
Are you gonna reply to the multiple people who questioned your very strange comment about black people and Christianity?

Yeah it was a religion that was forced upon us when we came from Africa as slaves and has made us submissive towards our opressors. We share the same religion with people who raped and killed us for hundreds of years. So when I see a young African American like chance the rapper go off about his faith it just makes me think he's foolish.

LotusHD

Banned
Yeah it was a religion that was forced upon us when we came from Africa as slaves and has made us submissive towards our opressors. We share the same religion with people who raped and killed us for hundreds of years. So when I see a young African American like chance the rapper go off about his faith it just makes me think he's foolish.

Well now I wish I didn't ask lol

Let him believe what he wants to believe. Geez. People get so riled up about religion. Yes it did some bad things but it also did some good. Don't log it all into one category.

Probably something to do with it being a religion forced upon black ppl by their slave masters then being used to keep them docile an subjugated. Teaching them to turn the other cheek/forgive etc when literally no other group in this country does that. Forcing generations of blacks to idolize a white savior/white ppl and view themselves inferior because of it and how that stilll impacts the black community to this day. With how as a whole we look for white acceptance and typically leave our brethren behind whenever we make it and choose to leave our black communities instead of building it up and reinvesting etc etc.

But I don't speak for them. This is what That post COULD mean tho. Christianity has had a negative effect on black Americans. And before ppl say it got us through hard times they should acknowledge it brought us a lot of those hard times and our African religions Would have gotten us through those hardships just the same except afterwards we would still have a religion that belongs to us. But hey I could be way off base an bruh could be rambling

ZeoVGM

Banned

Holy shit.

Holy shit.
He's right though. I don't believe in bashing chance for it because gospel is still great but everything else is right. Christianity was forced on black people by slave masters. It's the basis for black masculinity being so toxic and the intense homophobia.

at the very least it doesn't have us voting republican though.

royalan

I hope you're wearing 100% authentic clothing native to the country your ancestors are from if THIS is the hill you want to die on. I hope you've revoked your likely European name.

Let the boy be religious. Trying to dress this up in The Struggle is petty.

janoDX

but... Taylor Swift? She's won it twice, and is arguably as popular or more popular than Bey and Adele. This whole thing is a mess, and Bey probs would have won if she had AT LEAST 1 smash single from the album.

You know you're giving me more reasons for "Popular =/= Good" with that.

Also Adele smashes Taylor on sales, she came in 2015 with "25" and destroyed the mark set by Taylor that year.

I still believe Beyonce deserved the AOTY Award more from those nominees, Adele confirms it and says it on live TV, and Adele winning Record and Song of the year could have been more fitting for since "Hello" was a smash hit.

At the end of the day, Blackstar from David Bowie won 5 Grammys and I'm ok with that since he was snubbed from some categories that should have appeared.

ZeoVGM

Banned
He's right though. I don't believe in bashing chance for it because gospel is still great but everything else is right. Christianity was forced on black people by slave masters. It's the basis for black masculinity being so toxic and the intense homophobia.

I understand what you're saying but I think giving a black guy shit because he's a Christian in 2017 is incredibly unfair.

Seriously, the idea of religion in general is something I detest. But no one should be shamed for their beliefs if they're not using it as an excuse for hate.

HaloSon

Banned
I hope you're wearing 100% authentic clothing native to the country your ancestors are from if THIS is the hill you want to die on. I hope you've revoked your likely European name.

Let the boy be religious. Trying to dress this up in The Struggle is petty.

I don't have to do all of that to break away from mental slavery. I gave up Christianity when I leaned more about my history. I am letting him be religious I just think it's foolish.

It does not make sense to me. I don't have a European name either. My truth isn't petty to me.

I understand what you're saying but I think giving a black guy shit because he's a Christian in 2017 is incredibly unfair.

Seriously, the idea of religion in general is something I detest. But no one should be shamed for their beliefs if they're not using it as an excuse for hate.
Yeah, chance shouldn't be attacked for it. i agree.

Yea you are right about this. I don't agree with bashing him for it.

LotusHD

Banned
I mean.......halo ain't wrong. But I really don't think Chance should be knocked for it.

Well yea, there's some truth in that. But like y'all said, using that to randomly say Chance is a fool for his faith is just nonsense to me. Neither do I at all appreciate the blanket statement of all Black Christians being under "mental slavery", but I digress.

royalan

I don't have to do all of that to break away from mental slavery. I gave up Christianity when I leaned more about my history. I am letting him be religious I just think it's foolish.

It does not make sense to me. I don't have a European name either. My truth isn't petty to me.

Thinking Christianity is foolish is not a prerequisite to knowing one's history.

There are plenty of black people who are still faithful Christians despite being completely aware of how the religion was introduced to us. For many, it's not about how the religion found you. Just that it did.

HaloSon

Banned
Thinking Christianity is foolish is not a prerequisite to knowing one's history.

There are plenty of black people who are still faithful Christians despite being completely aware of how the religion was introduced to us. For many, it's not about how the religion found you. Just that it did.

That's cognitive dissonance to me.

"I want to be free"

Buys into mental slavery used by dominate oppperors to destroy you.

It does not make sense no matter how hard I try to make it work.

Air

Banned
That's cognitive dissonance to me.

It does not make sense no matter how hard I try to make it work.

Faith isn't a monolith. Without diving too much into religious discussion in a Grammys thread (c'mon guys, really), once a religious belief is incorporated into a culture, it mixes with it and interpretations change. Every tool humanity has created (yes, even science) has been used to oppress and free people. You don't have to like Christianity, and you're entitled to your opinions, but the rapper isn't harming anyone by professing their beliefs. If they're able to extrapolate something positive out of it, that should be praised, not admonished.

cordy

Banned
The Grammy committee is probably like "Damn we fucked up again?" after Adele made that speech. I really wonder who these people are like who are they lol. I'm just really curious.

And as for Chance, idk what it is but I just don't like his music anymore and I haven't liked him since maybe Surf. Idk what it is but it feels like he's sorta changed to me. Props to him and all but man I'm just not feeling it. Nothing with his religion and all, just something else.

HaloSon

Banned
The Grammy committee is probably like "Damn we fucked up again?" after Adele made that speech. I really wonder who these people are like who are they lol. I'm just really curious.

And as for Chance, idk what it is but I just don't like his music anymore and I haven't liked him since maybe Surf. Idk what it is but it feels like he's sorta changed to me. Props to him and all but man I'm just not feeling it. Nothing with his religion and all, just something else.

They obviously don't like black people.

HaloSon

Banned
I don't think it's that cut n dry. I think they don't relate to many black artist. They see it as black music with an occasional cross over song. They vote for what they relate to/like and to them the songs/albums aren't as good.

How you like something/someone you hate?

That's why black artist need to pull out altogether. The Grammys won't change.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Let's be upfront here:

Good Kid, Maad City > Macklemore
To Pimp a Butterfly > 1989
Lemonade > 25

These are simply indisputable.

I mean, not really. Opinions are opinions. I think the first is indisputable but I thought TPAB was boring and overrated.

Lemonade and 25 are both great so I think it goes either way.

xJavonta

Banned
i will never understand why so many people love beyonce but different strokes for different folks, i guess

adele is massively talented and deserves to win awards.
Lmao I'll never understand why people love Adele I find her music bland and extremely boring. She can sing but her music doesn't really show that

Are we still doing this in 2017.

No other groups of people have homophobia. Black men are holding the world back, eh?

DOWN

Banned
Let's be upfront here:

Good Kid, Maad City > Macklemore
To Pimp a Butterfly > 1989
Lemonade > 25

These are simply indisputable.
I don't get people on the 1989 beef

That thing was so successful in every measure and reception, that it seems as obvious to me that it was in the fight for that award as Adele has been in each of her wins. It's not like it was some shocker like Beck beating Beyoncé where the album had no interest, hit singles, good user reviews, major sales, and great critical reviews.

Like come on, 1989 winning is a bad example for the argument. That thing was a successful album all around and flew to the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom