• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 59th Annual Grammy Awards |OT| The Year Of Realizing Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaosslug

moonlight is getting shut out next. at least the Tony's acknowledged black people.

nah, the Oscar committee are not as dumb as the Grammy's. Moonlight will get Best Picture or Director, and probably Supporting Actor/Actress. They NEED to clean up their #OscarsSoWhite image.

Mesousa

Banned
When are we going to stop seeking validation from those who hate us?

Artist need to stop showing up to these award shows altogether.

This literally was a 3 hour Beyonce Worship-a-thon. She's not hated at all.

She lost to the artist of the year. No shame in that.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
nah, the Oscar committee are not as dumb as the Grammy's. Moonlight will get Best Picture or Director, and probably Supporting Actor/Actress. They NEED to clean up their #OscarsSoWhite image.
Eh La La Land will win, but Moonlight will get an award for something.

LotusHD

Banned
This literally was a 3 hour Beyonce Worship-a-thon. She's not hated at all.

She lost to the artist of the year. No shame in that.

Part of his post is referring to his previous post about how black people should apparently stop practicing Christianity.

supporting actor is the only one they have a real shot at

la la land is so in their wheelhouse

Ouc1NPR.png

H5ZvC4Y.png

KfwxUtz.png

K6JX7q0.png

Sure would be nice if the Grammys can purge their voters like the Oscars did and allow for more diversity! They don't even care. Rename it the Billboard awards then. It shouldn't be this hard to give credit to a black woman where it's due, in 2017. But after recent world events I guess no one should be surprised.

Air

Banned
I'm sure there's a lot of people that are upset Beyonce didn't win a Grammy. Now, I am by no means a Beyonce fan, but award shows aren't really about the actual artistry, and bold creative choices people make. They're chosen because a bunch of older people afraid of change are in charge, and probably prone to disliking new sounds because they're new. Don't be too upset. Beyonce is part of a bunch of really talented (just because I don't like her music, doesn't mean I'm blind to her skills) minorities who get shafted for the safe choice (that's not to take away Adele's own skills, but let's be real).

botty

Banned
It is fucking not a better album, just ask the dam critic reviews.

Bull fucking shit. Is the grammy about sales or artistry because 25 was nothing when it compares to Lemonade. 25 had no impact beside "Hello."

I'm just giving my opinion. I think Lemonade is a better experience when combined with the visual side, but 25 is a better and more consistent album when we're just talking about audio.

Koodo

Banned
I preferred Lemonade, but I can understand why the vote would swing to 25 in the end. And unlike prior instances of white theft, at least someone with talent walked away with the award.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I'm just giving my opinion. I think Lemonade is a better experience when combined with the visual side, but 25 is a better and more consistent album when we're just talking about audio.
More consistent???????? Lemonade is litterally a concept album with a common theme. There is more range in Beyonce's vocal's than anything on 25, same goes with music production. It is litterally a piece of art that makes you want to listen to the album from beginning to end. Just because 25 is more listenable does not make it better, which is the same argument used by 1989 winning over To Pimp a Butterfly.

Bladenic

Personally I liked Solange's album more than Lemonade, it's a real shame she only got one nomination (but at least she won it).

Emarv

I'm sure there's a lot of people that are upset Beyonce didn't win a Grammy. Now, I am by no means a Beyonce fan, but award shows aren't really about the actual artistry, and bold creative choices people make. They're chosen because a bunch of older people afraid of change are in charge, and probably prone to disliking new sounds because they're new. Don't be too upset. Beyonce is part of a bunch of really talented (just because I don't like her music, doesn't mean I'm blind to her skills) minorities who get shafted for the safe choice (that's not to take away Adele's own skills, but let's be real).
You remind us that award shows are racist and have a long history of racism. Then say don't be too upset because that's the way it is? Cmon, man.

Nobody is like grabbing pitchforks, but everyone here already knows that history and knows that this is just another one in the long line of minority snubs. Hence the frustration.

HaloSon

Banned

The answer is to withdraw your music from nomination and not show up period. Let them have that shit we never needed it. It's fucking up artist minds when they show up. They not supporting our culture and community so why are we giving them everything including the right to validate us? The answer is easy but we don't wanna actually follow though so nothing will change. Frank did the right thing but he is just 1 artist.

Sure would be nice if the Grammys can purge their voters like the Oscars did and allow for more diversity! They don't even care. Rename it the Billboard awards then. It shouldn't be this hard to give credit to a black woman where it's due, in 2017. But after recent world events I guess no one should be surprised.

Bey has 22 Grammy's...

This album didn't didn't get as many awards because it lacked large, global, mainstream hits.

Maybe success shouldn't matter, but it does.

royalan

Name an award for musicians then that matters?

None?

Beyonce only wants this award because it's the only Grammy she hasn't gotten in a category she's been nominated for.

But the fact that an artist and successful, commercially and critically,,as Beyonce still hasn't gotten this award...AND with an album surpassed 25 on MOST critics lists, just goes to show how irrelevant the grammy's are these days.

Maybe success shouldn't matter, but it does.

No, it shouldn't. Other mediums (TV, Film) have awards like the SAG that are considered more honorable due to less corporate influence. There aren't any other major music awards that actually matter in NA. And unfortunately, if you want to get recognized by the Grammys, you need to appease a major record label the most.
(Doesn't explain 2015's case when BEYONCÉ also lost to an album with less critical standing, and less cultural impact)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom