• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 59th Annual Grammy Awards |OT| The Year Of Realizing Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kusagari

The random ass Herbie Hancock win over Graduation/Back to Black is probably the most egregious thing the Grammys did in the last decade.

Majmun

Wtffff, Beyoncé ONLY won two Grammys???

Lost aoty to 25? That's pathetic.

FBI/CIA should investigate this shit!!

So basically, Beyonce didn't win because the Grammy voters don't like black people?
So why does Stevie Wonder have so many wins against white artists...

I said ages ago that Adele would win. It has next to nothing to do with Adele being white and Beyoncé being black. The main factor is that the majority of Grammy voters are traditional pop songwriters, producers, etc and they're older. Like, 50s and 60s old. It shouldn't be surprising why they'd like Adele's simple ballads more than something like Formation, which is probably incomprehensible to them. Beyoncé' last two albums go in the opposite direction of what Grammy voters listen to.

They've always disregarded entire genres and music styles. Rock, metal, JAZZ, hip hop. Beyoncé's current music is too busy for those old white (and yes, black) people.

Not to mention she didn't sell the most records. Adele did. Just as Taylor outsold Kendrick. Daft Punk outsold everyone. Have you noticed top selling albums tend to win? Or that the AOTY upsets tend to be albums from old legacy artists (Robert Plant, Herbie Hancock, etc).

I'm not sure I saw Adele's album on any best albums list for that year. It's a middling pop record that old people love.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
So basically, Beyonce didn't win because the Grammy voters don't like black people?
Yup.
1989 was a better album than To Pimp a Butterfly.

The real travesty of this year's Grammys was Bowie beating Radiohead in the Alternative category. We get it Bowie died and he was a legend, but that album had like 3 good songs on it, where A Moon Shaped Pool is fantastic all the way through. It also feels a bit bullshit that it could get nominated in Rock and Alternative. Well, all of the Grammy 'rules' are basically made up bullshit anyway, guess that's why people care more about the performances than the awards.
1989 was not better than TPAB. Blackstar was definitely better A Moon Shaped Pool where you can barely understand the singer.

Sorry, Beck deserved it
Beck did not have the better album though, the Beyoncé though.

So why does Stevie Wonder have so many wins against white artists...

I said ages ago that Adele would win. It has next to nothing to do with Adele being white and Beyoncé being black. The main factor is that the majority of Grammy voters are traditional pop songwriters, producers, etc and they're older. Like, 50s and 60s old. It shouldn't be surprising why they'd like Adele's simple ballads more than something like Formation, which is probably incomprehensible to them. Beyoncé' last two albums go in the opposite direction of what Grammy voters listen to.

They've always disregarded entire genres and music styles. Rock, metal, JAZZ, hip hop. Beyoncé's current music is too busy for those old white (and yes, black) people.

Not to mention she didn't sell the most records. Adele did. Just as Taylor outsold Kendrick. Daft Punk outsold everyone. Have you noticed top selling albums tend to win? Or that the AOTY upsets tend to be albums from old legacy artists (Robert Plant, Herbie Hancock, etc).

I'm not sure I saw Adele's album on any best albums list for that year. It's a middling pop record that old people love.
And are the Grammy's supposed to be about selling the most albums?? I thought the reward for that was making a shit ton of money already. If the Grammy's are not about artistry and rewarding the best artist than what the fuck are they for? Adele did not deserve Album of the Year for her basic album that just repeeated them themes from her last one.

LionPride

Banned
Grammys need to figure out if they are a popularity/money thing or based off of quality. Constantly, people are given awards because they sold the most or it's popular or they "deserve" it after getting nominated multiple times with no wins even if the album they win for is boo boo.

HaloSon

Banned
Seems like it fucks with you more than anyone else....honestly shocks me how much stock some people still put into the Grammys and award shows in general. Get a grip.

It does fuck with me that makes you feel good probably.

It fucks with me because the artist keep thinking the Grammys will "get it right" when they have no intention on that. They just want to keep proping up what they feel "comfortable" with. They wont change the artist have the power, culture, and community so they should leave and let the Grammys be the shit show that it is.

Grammys need to figure out if they are a popularity/money thing or based off of quality. Constantly, people are given awards because they sold the most or it's popular or they "deserve" it after getting nominated multiple times with no wins even if the album they win for is boo boo.

If it were based on quality 25 still would have won...

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Yup, agreedz
Lemonade was the clear choice out of the nominees but honestly she had the second best album in her family.
Solange's album wasn't nominated for this year.
Tell me why and list how 25 is better.

64b6a9bda1bc7af124f20ca16c9e901f.png

359c632dd501329afbf73a537e58bf08.png

Guess which is which. 25 was fine but it was just a well crafted decent pop album. I'm not even a big lover of Lemonade (I thought self-titled was better) but it's pretty consensus that Lemonade was better received.

EDIT:
Solange's album wasn't nominated for this year.

Yeah I know, just sayin;.

The sooner people have the same attitude towards this as they do the VMAs the better. I came to watch Adele, Bey, Katy, and the tributes. No one can or will ever understand the reasoning and thinking behind who gets these awards. The old white men deciding the winners probably don't even know.

ZeoVGM

Banned
1989 was a better album than To Pimp a Butterfly.

The real travesty of this year's Grammys was Bowie beating Radiohead in the Alternative category. We get it Bowie died and he was a legend, but that album had like 3 good songs on it, where A Moon Shaped Pool is fantastic all the way through. It also feels a bit bullshit that it could get nominated in Rock and Alternative. Well, all of the Grammy 'rules' are basically made up bullshit anyway, guess that's why people care more about the performances than the awards.

Blackstar is widely regarded as a fantastic album.

HaloSon

Banned
The sooner people have the same attitude towards this as they do the VMAs the better. I came to watch Adele, Bey, Katy, and the tributes. No one can or will ever understand the reasoning and thinking behind who gets these awards. The old white men deciding the winners probably don't even know.

Don't vote for what's right, vote for what's white!

ZeoVGM

Banned
Yup.

1989 was not better than TPAB. Blackstar was definitely better A Moon Shaped Pool where you can barely understand the singer.

Beck did not have the better album though, the Beyoncé though.

And are the Grammy's supposed to be about selling the most albums?? I thought the reward for that was making a shit ton of money already. If the Grammy's are not about artistry and rewarding the best artist than what the fuck are they for? Adele did not deserve Album of the Year for her basic album that just repeeated them themes from her last one.

We're just arguing differences in opinion at this point. I'd say both Morning Phase and 1989 were better than Beyonce and TPAB respectively. But I would then say that Good Kid was absolutely a better album than Macklemore's and I was rooting for Lemonade this year. (But I don't think she got "robbed" because Adele won. I would think she got robbed if Drake won.)

Don't vote for what's right, vote for what's white!

You never answered my question about black artists potentially disagreeing with your sentiment that Adele won because she's white.

Beyonce isn't going to boycott the awards when her next album is out, for example.

1989 is a great pop album filled with catchy, memorable songs, but taylor has no hope of matching kendrick lamar's artistry. TPAB has cultural significance. it's no contest, really.

The Grammys aren't about artistry or rewarding the best music. It's about the record industry, and celebrating the accomplishments of the year. Adele's sales were a big accomplishment, and she makes the type of music Grammy voters used to write or produce so it was a no brainer.

It's also about politics. If Drake had given a shit, campaigned, and shown up/performed he would have won rap AOTY, for instance. Instead it went to Chance, whose label has been campaigning for months (and lying about him being an independent artist).

The bigger question should be why do you care, and why do artists care. IF you're Beyonce you don't need the Grammys. Why show up and perform if you know you don't have a shot at winning.

The problem is that switched up the "requirements". The last time around she had the commercially successful album with acclaim but they went with the "critical darling". This time she had the "critical darling " and they went with the commercial album. The rules changed when it comes to her and there is no other way to explain it except the fact she is black. They exploited her for ratings then had her looking like a fool. I wouldn't be surprised if there was an active campaign against her. She doesn't use the conventional means such as radio and payola to push her music and still maintains a massive audience. I hope she picks up the pieces after this loss and just release the music she wants and not release music to try and appeal to those fuckers.

Spinluck

Here's my rank for their skill sets.

Prince:
Dancing: B
Vocals: A
Instruments: S
Stage presence: A
Song writing: A

Bruno:
Dancing: S
Instruments: A
Stage presence: A
Song Writing: B

Michael Jackson
Dancing: S
Instruments: C
Stage presence: S
Song writing: S

MJ a S for songwriting when he didn't even write some of his best songs?

Yet Prince is a A? What?

jett

D-Member

I'm fairly certain DP's RAM wasn't 2013's best selling album.

Anyway, speaking of Daft Punk, why are they working with such a boring-ass mofo like the weeknd.

Adele sells albums like crazy in an industry that struggles to sell music with an award show that struggles to remain relevant, of course they are giving her all the awards.

Lauryn Hill was the last Black female artist to win AOTY. Black artists are rarely winning outside genre specific categories. Only 11 Black artists won AOTY in Grammy history, when theyve basically driven American musical trends for decades.

Dont piss in my pocket and tell me it's raining, the Grammys are hustling the shit out of Black folk. Time to get the boycotts poppin.

jtb

Banned
RAM was not a very good record. Come at me.

Lauryn Hill was the last Black female artist to win AOTY. Black artists are rarely winning outside genre specific categories. Only 11 Black artists won AOTY in Grammy history, when theyve basically driven American musical trends for decades.

Dont piss in my pocket and tell me it's raining, the Grammys are hustling the shit out of Black folk. Time to get the boycotts poppin.

It's indefensible, particularly in an industry that is so heavily influenced by black music and culture.

12 and 3 of those were Stevie Wonder. So, really it's 9. Out of 58 potential winners.

I like that the people who push the "They just reward what sells well!" argument have to conveniently ignore that Arcade Fire and Beck won album of the year this decade.

If the Grammys want to just reward what sells well, then cool, but at least be consistent about it. Right now it just seems to reward whatever the fuck metric they decided it was going to in the given year.

Socivol

I agree I liked Lemonade and I went to the tour but 25 is just better. Lyrically it shits on Lemonade. I understand why people liked it for it's cultural relevance but 25 was such a good album after a pretty long hiatus. Adele could have flopped so badly but she made another masterpiece.

If quality and artistry is the metric, then the whining will be endless; tons of people will claim X random underground alt-genre band wasn't nominated or didn't won so it's a shitty awards show, etc. This is not the movie scene where there's actually a chance of reviewing a big part of the whole released material that goes into the categories of the oscars.

HaloSon

Banned
http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/13/entertainment/adele-beyonce-racism/

Is racism why Adele beat Beyoncé at the Grammys?

"The artist of my life is Beyoncé, and this album to me, the 'Lemonade' album, was just so monumental," Adele said.
Certainly for her diehard fan base known as the Beyhive -- and for many music critics -- Beyoncé's "Lemonade" was a creative masterpiece.
But with its racial themes and imagery, some are questioning if the project was "just too black" for Grammy voters.

Kevin Powell, author of the memoir "The Education of Kevin Powell" and a forthcoming biography on rapper Tupac Shakur, thinks so.
He told CNN "Beyonce's 'Lemonade' made a lot of people uncomfortable, because it is so political, so spiritual, so unapologetically black, and so brutally honest about love, self-love, trust, betrayal."

"We are still a nation that does not want to deal so directly with truth," said Powell, who has written about music and race for various publications, including Vibe magazine. "Adele's album is strong, but it is just songs about love. It is safe and uncontroversial; it breaks no new ground. And neither do Grammy voters, generally speaking, when it comes to picking winners of this particular award."

I hate CNN but even they know when something not right sometimes...

Anytime we make a project about us or our struggle and it gets nominated most of the time people get all lowkey mad about it. But it has nothing to do with race yall...nothing at all...

The end of the article is garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom