• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kaz Hirai: "PS4 hardware is already profitable"

Shin-Ra

Where are the Kaz gifs. I am dissapoint
iG7cV1SgBzBOt.gif

Who'd have thought people could be angry at this adorable face for providing the most powerful console and not bleeding money doing it!

Houseboat

Neo Member
They learnt a lot from the PS3.

Strange how Sony learnt from failure, but Microsoft didn't learn from success.

Despite selling roughly the same SONY could have considered the PS3 a failure since it sold much worse than the PS2, but MS could have viewed the XBOX 360 as a success since it did much better than the original. However, it's been my experience that the best lessons in life are learned from failures.

anecdotal. How many people bought the x360 and gamed on it? Just cause YOU like sega more doesn't change hte fact that dreamcast sold so terribly even though it was cheaper than the ps2.

I'm not even following what is your point right now. The Dreamcast wasn't more powerful but had many innovations at the time, someone could say that they tried to go more than the safe route, and then disaster happened.

I wouldn't want that to happen to another company that is on the market right now, because I like them, yes it is anecdotal but I never say that it wasn't. From the beginning I said that my opinion is that I don't want companies to fail anymore, because only things like Microsoft would be left, and I don't like the prospect of that.

LOL at gamers happy with this news. Goes to show who's a gamer on here and who's just a cheerleader. This gen is the first console gen out of many that persuaded me to get a PC. What a disappointment. Better hardware enables, but does not guarantee, better experiences.

You can't be a gamer and also be happy that companies aren't spending years bleeding money on hardware? It really wasn't a good thing that last gen platforms bled so much money. That's one of the main reasons why they're still sitting at such high prices even though they're 7-8 years old. It took forever for them to actually become profitable. Gaming divisions of big companies being healthy and profitable is a good thing for all gamers.

Dire

Haha whoops.

What on earth are you talking about? Sales figures are dropping substantially? They are not going to drop the price at E3, period.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=819775

Sony chose to not publicly announce the sales figures. They were leaked in that thread. I thought I was being cynically bearish on my prediction for April. They shocked me with how bad they ended up. That is of course "just" the US. I'm assuming it will be a metronome for the rest of the world as we segue from the initial hype sales to the next phase.

iG7cV1SgBzBOt.gif

Who'd have thought people could be angry at this adorable face for providing the most powerful console and not bleeding money doing it!

Most powerful console is relative. When most games are struggling to reach 1080p on it, it is a little dismaying (hopefully this can be attributed to developer inexperience with the tools, or not having the full target specs available during dev time for the launch games). Games like second son though, they show that the hardware is capable. I didn't buy my ps4 for power though, bought it for dem exclusives.

BadWolf

Good work Sony.

Most powerful console is relative. When most games are struggling to reach 1080p on it, it is a little dismaying (hopefully this can be attributed to developer inexperience with the tools, or not having the full target specs available during dev time for the launch games). Games like second son though, they show that the hardware is capable. I didn't buy my ps4 for power though, bought it for dem exclusives.

Its more powerful than the WiiU and X1 so that makes it the most powerful console currently.

Vashetti

Banned

Citation needed.

Battlefield 4 and Watch_Dogs are the only sub-1080p PS4 games.

Oh and Killzone MP.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Wait, most games? You know there are exactly TWO games on the system which operate at lower than 1080p, right, and one of those is 60 fps. It's not struggling to hit 1080p at all.

Now, hitting 60 fps is proving to be the more difficult point.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Actually, "most powerful console" is not relative.

Ironjam

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=819775

Sony chose to not publicly announce the sales figures. They were leaked in that thread. I thought I was being cynically bearish on my prediction for April. They shocked me with how bad they ended up. That is of course "just" the US. I'm assuming it will be a metronome for the rest of the world as we segue from the initial hype sales to the next phase.

I dont think sony ever announces npd numbers. Its always from leaks.
They only announce worldwide numbers.

It's funny so many people are happy about this. I prefer them selling me $500 worth of hardware for $400, personally. But I'm just a game, not a SNE investor.

It's funny that we enjoy seeing sustainable business practices?
If we want to continue to enjoy more products by Sony in the future, we don't want them to tank, lose a ton of money, and then potentially cease to make products in the future. Or in a better case scenario, they will be looking for that revenue elsewhere.

Sony hit the sweet spot. For a company that is ailing so much in its financials, its good to see them actually take a profitable venture. That benefits the consumer in the long run when they actually have the capital and desire to keep up their product line.

Would we all like a 500 dollar machine for a discount? Yes. There's great benefits for the gamer. But last generation was a money sink. Right now, sustainable business practices are what is going to keep Sony afloat. Not making super hardware designed to take massive losses.

We can appreciate this financial success for Sony because it benefits us gamers in the long run. Not just shareholders.

i dont get it either. What this means going forward is subsequent generations will probably follow the same path and cutting edge technology will fall by the wayside and go toward more a more safe solution. But hey, if that's what gamers want

You can't get cutting edge technology in a consolesTDP and size won't allow for it anymore .
We now have GPUs that are 500 plus watts they can't fit into console .

S¡mon

Banned
So, are they having a profit on each unit sold, or they are selling a good amount of games to the point it's already making up for the loss and them some?
When the system launched, PS4 was profitable as long as you got one game (or more) with it.

Now, if I understand correctly, PS4 is already profitable when they simply sell a PS4. Basically, costs/unit have dropped at least $20 or so since launched. Seems accurate.

It's not relative. The PS4 has demonstrated the greatest ability to achieve 1080p by having 99% of its library achieving 1080p.
Output is quantitative. The PS4 is the most powerful console to date.

Sorry, no idea why I put most, I was thinking of the launch titles and I know AssCreed started at 900 but was jacked up later.

edit: What I meant by relative is that, in that set of 3 it is the most powerful, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is a powerhouse. I feel that 360/ps3 were more on PC's level when they came out.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Yes. Cheap, loose plastic case and wobble design. My $200 stereo reciever (made by Sony) feels infinitely more sturdy than my PS4.

I thought the wobble only happen if you push down that one side since all the weight is on the right?

Holy hell Sony. PS4 is already past the Wii U LTD sales, currently has around double the sales of the Xbone, and is already in the profitable state. This is a dream situation after the PS3.

I presume these profits don't take into account R&D costs? Or do they apportion R&D to the console cost based on forecast lifetime sales?

Dire

You can't be a gamer and also be happy that companies aren't spending years bleeding money on hardware? It really wasn't a good thing that last gen platforms bled so much money. That's one of the main reasons why they're still sitting at such high prices even though they're 7-8 years old. It took forever for them to actually become profitable. Gaming divisions of big companies being healthy and profitable is a good thing for all gamers.

As a gamer you make an enormous sacrifice buying a console. You're essentially buying a PC with extremely heavy restrictions on what software and hardware you can use. In the past this was a reasonable deal since the price:performance made it a reasonably fair trade. You agree to be locked into their exclusive economy and in exchange they give you hardware that you couldn't get for that price anywhere else - except perhaps from a competing console.

This gen you're getting a console that under performs relative to PCs that can be built for comparable prices. You're agreeing to lock yourself into their exclusive economy and getting what in return exactly?

BadWolf

edit: What I meant by relative is that, in that set of 3 it is the most powerful, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is a powerhouse. I feel that 360/ps3 were more on PC's level when they came out.

Those PCs that can match and exceed the PS4's power also far exceed its price.

You have to strike a balance and Sony did just that.

Let's not start this debate again

Some divisions of sony are profitable and some aren't just like any other company.

Most companies aren't forecasting billion dollar losses and selling off HQ buildings. Sony's financial situation is entirely relevant to this discussion.

Apparently 'how' market works is that there will always be someone to take the place of anyone who bites the dust

I mean it's not like there are any other possible outcomes or anything...

Cut off one head, two more shall take its place, the only outcome.

BadWolf

As a gamer you make an enormous sacrifice buying a console. You're essentially buying a PC with extremely heavy restrictions on what software and hardware you can use. In the past this was a reasonable deal since the price:performance made it a reasonably fair trade. You agree to be locked into their exclusive economy and in exchange they give you hardware that you couldn't get for that price anywhere else - except perhaps from a competing console.

This gen you're getting a console that under performs relative to PCs that can be built for comparable prices. You're agreeing to lock yourself into their exclusive economy and getting what in return exactly?

So you are saying you can build a $400 PC that can play the best the PS4 will have to offer? And it will come with a PS4 controller?

Top Bottom