• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Keighley: Epic says UE4 not targeted at Wii U on GTTV, Epic responds [Updated Again]

I'm so glad I've become so complacent to videogames and E3 hype. This doesn't phase me in the slightest, whereas a few years ago I'd be going down the ninthing "bububu" path. I just nod, play the games I like, and get the fuck over it.

Terrell

Well, considering I don't expect it to run on the next consoles from Microsoft or Sony right away either, this isn't a shock.

Epic DID say that "no current hardware" could run it, and considering the next Xbox and PlayStation will be based on currently available GPUs, that kind of excludes them from the first run of UE4 until it's scaled down, as well.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Underpowered technology running the Unreal 4.0, hmmm. Maybe, it's still a custom chipset, the optimist in me says there could be a chance that they've optimized it for the engine.

The realist in me (the pessimist) scoffs at the Wii-U technology.

The inner-child persona can't wait to play Zeruda True HD and Ninja Gaiden III: Razor's Edge.

loosus

Banned
I'm so glad I've become so complacent to videogames and E3 hype. This doesn't phase me in the slightest, whereas a few years ago I'd be going down the ninthing "bububu" path. I just nod, play the games I like, and get the fuck over it.

Whooaaa, that's so cool I hope I can do that one day

More, but just not that much more.

Yeah, which still falls under my "about as powerful" label.

I have been paying attention but these were all rumors, and I guess I was being optimistic, was waiting for the full reveal at E3.

When the same "rumor" pops up again and again, and legitimate sites are reporting it, it's just about confirmed.

Also, I'm pretty sure a few months ago some developers pretty much said it was "about as powerful as a 360".

UE4 isnt even near commercial release.. I dont understand what people were expecting here. They JUST revealed the thing.

We know Wii U isn't the intended platform, though, but that doesn't mean much for software so far out. If it's optimizable to run on the hardware, someone will figure it out. There be money to be made. They may not even have a solid plan for Wii U, at this point.

Proelite

Well, considering I don't expect it to run on the next consoles from Microsoft or Sony right away either, this isn't a shock.

Epic DID say that "no current hardware" could run it, and considering the next Xbox and PlayStation will be based on currently available GPUs, that kind of excludes them from the first run of UE4 until it's scaled down, as well.
That from a while back. It currently runs on a single GTX 680.

Looks like Nintendo will have to use non-traditional techniques to achieve beautiful art styles.

large.jpg

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Disappointing slightly, but I wasn't expecting it to run UE4. However, I kind of don't care since I'll probably be pretty okay with Nintendo's own content, but for multiplats this spells the same problems the Wii had.

Salsa

We know nothing about UE4, it's flexibility, when the current console life cycle will end, when it'll launch, and so many other things.

this just seems like a weird-ass, fanboy-war inducing comment.

even "Wii-U will be Unreal Engine 3" is some stupid wording

OnPoint

We know nothing about UE4, it's flexibility, when the current console life cycle will end, when it'll launch, and so many other things.

Shhh!

Boss Man

The answer is worded quite ambiguously.
Really?

I'm not trying to be prophetic or anything, but PS4 and NextBox will be running UE4, Wii U will not. Myself and many others (everyone) have seen this future for many moons past.

No it's actually quite a diplomatic way of putting it. He could have said "WiiU is only/just/unable..."

Best to stick to calling his comment lies speculation, because he is so likely to make shit up with people he hangs out with at GDC.

Terrell

That from a while back. It currently runs on a single GTX 680.

Earlier this month is "a while back"? Wow, my perception of time is obviously VASTLY different than yours.

It was less than a month ago, it's being designed in a way that ONLY a Keplar can run it. You think MS and Sony are gonna price themselves out of the console market AGAIN by pushing a Kepler into a partly-finished design JUST for UE4, despite the financial sinkhole it will yet again create for them?

pargonta

He just said he wasn't going to give a hint. It's all good, guys. :p
:D
No (I cannot hint)

Mike Capps said Wii-U will be unreal engine 3 (declarative statement doesn't speak to UE 4 at all, statement doesn't matter)

..issue still in question.

Xav

Not to sound like a Wii U fanboy but more often than not in the games industry the weaker system ends up "winning" the generation. Yeah forums will go crazy for graphics but to the rest of the world it's not really a big deal, besides I never liked Unreal Engine 3. I personally was rooting for RenderWare this generation but EA didn't seem too bothered.

Salsa

No it's actually quite a diplomatic way of putting it. He could have said "WiiU is only/just/unable..."

Best to stick to calling his comment lies speculation, because he is so likely to make shit up with people he hangs out with at GDC.

It's either stupid or brilliant, the latter being if he is in fact trying to start some fanboy discussion that could end up useless since there's so little info

I mean look at some of the reactions here, rofl

Technically, his tweet doesn't say Wii U won't run UE4. It says that he can't hint that the Wii U will run UE4, and it also says Mike Capps said at GDC that the Wii U can run UE3. Personally, I don't think it's happening, but Keighley's left himself an out. Alternatively, you can keep the hope alive for another, oh, week or so.

Zee-Row

Banned
I don't see why anybody would want to run a game on Unreal Engine 4. They should rename this generation the "Going out of Business" generation since so many companies have fallen because of out of control gaming budgets.

So, whats UE4 do besides prettier graphics?

That's what I want to know as well. What's UE 4 going to bring to the table that couldn't be achieved in current gen game engines? (Not really a Wii U related question, just in general). I'm interested in seeing what they have planned for the next iteration...

Mxrz

Where's that thread I (and others) were right in. Some guys were getting mad as heck that we didn't think it was about the wii-u.

And yeah, it shouldn't be that big a deal unless you were deadset on it somehow being your 3rd party machine. Which was always silly.

I really do like Geoff and ussually defend him when people accuse him of doing that exact shtick, but man he makes it hard sometimes..

Why is it a "shtick"? He was asked a direct question, and he gave a direct answer. This topic is only controversial because some people have been holding out hopes that this upcoming Nintendo console is somehow going to end up being more powerful than it really is.

umm, I think Mike Capps might have an idea. I'm not even sure if this is a joke post or not.

Why is it a "shtick"? He as asked a direct question, and he gave a direct answer. This topic is only controversial because some people have been holding out hopes that this upcoming Nintendo console is somehow going to end up being more powerful than it really is.

I'm still holding on the hope his post was facetious.

Top Bottom