• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Keighley: Epic says UE4 not targeted at Wii U on GTTV, Epic responds [Updated Again]

mdtauk

Apart from PC which is a given, I don't think Epic has announced what platforms UE4 will run on. Maybe that was the No and mention of UE3 licenses coming with the Dev Kits.

(A guy has gotta keep the hope alive)

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I'm surprised people were expecting it to.

The Wii U is going to be exactly like the Wii was in terms of software, except it will have a lot of ports from this gen.

Wii had a lot of ports from last gen, so just like Wii.

I don't see why anybody would want to run a game on Unreal Engine 4. They should rename this generation the "Going out of Business" generation since so many companies have fallen because of out of control gaming budgets.
Except according to many devs here they key to UE4 is scalability and sleeding up dev time. So what would take 100 hours before now takes 50 thereby reducing costs.

aznpxdd

Why is this surprising to anyone? Going by what we've seen/heard, WiiU's hardware is not too much above current gen's (which TBH, is 5-6 years old tech), why would anyone expect it to run an engine that's not even out yet.

Salsa

Why is it a "shtick"? He as asked a direct question, and he gave a direct answer. This topic is only controversial because some people have been holding out hopes that this upcoming Nintendo console is somehow going to end up being more powerful than it really is.

Wasnt trying to say he was doing that here, but he's ussually accused of starting useless fanboy wars (or rather, GT in general is accused of it) for the sake of attention

umm, I think Mike Capps might have an idea. I'm not even sure if this is a joke post or not.

Mike Capps doesnt have the answer to all the questions I mentioned there

goldenpp72

I'm actually kind of glad in a way. Doesn't that controller cost almost$100? I want the system to be at MOST $250at launch.

I doubt it cost them 100 to make the controller, and why at most 250? I'd rather have a super system launch at 400 and drop price in a year or two than be crap forever. Just me personally.

what happened to scalable? If the 1st ue4 title ships in 2013 will it not be able to run on a rib with a video card spec'd lower than a 680? I never got how there is a pc version that runs at different resolutions and various fx at different degrees, but when it comes to the console space these middleware solutions lose their scalability. Granted it doesn't apply to the wii vs ps360. We'll see after E3 what sticks and even more so if the wiiu takes off well, if it will remain ue3.

edit - that said, outside of 3rd party titles any game worth getting will likely be a 1st party title or a 3rd party exclusive (and those are a dying breed). Either way, wii did ok without ue3

antonz

He's not speculating, he's quoting what caps said at gdc. That was a few months ago so things might change.

Well if Capps said it then it was during a personal Encounter because no such public statement was made.

That said I wouldnt expect much to come from this topic as far as confirmation of anything

I can't wait to see UE4 this year.

As for UE3, it still looks pretty good (TERA is UE3, right?) - I think that Wii U will have no problem running pretty graphics with current generation tech.

i-Lo

Judging by what Epic's action has been for PS4 and XB3, I think it's best not to hold our breaths for it to be even running on them as intended.

I hope and hope that both of them come through in the end; failing to do so will mean UE4 running half assed on them.

Judging by what Epic's action has been for PS4 and XB3, I think it's best not to hold our breaths for it to be even running on them as intended.

I hope and hope that both of them come through in the end; failing to do so will mean UE4 running half assed on them.
Huh? Epic is building the engine with next gen in mind. Theyre building it FOR next gen consoles.

Proelite

Well, considering I don't expect it to run on the next consoles from Microsoft or Sony right away either, this isn't a shock.

Epic DID say that "no current hardware" could run it, and considering the next Xbox and PlayStation will be based on currently available GPUs, that kind of excludes them from the first run of UE4 until it's scaled down, as well.

Earlier this month is "a while back"? Wow, my perception of time is obviously VASTLY different than yours.

It was less than a month ago, it's being designed in a way that ONLY a Keplar can run it. You think MS and Sony are gonna price themselves out of the console market AGAIN by pushing a Kepler into a partly-finished design JUST for UE4, despite the financial sinkhole it will yet again create for them?

I am pretty sure one of 720 / PS4 will run UE4, but that's about it.

I'm still holding on the hope he was being sarcastic.

But why? Even if the WiiU were to somehow get a version of UE4 running on it, we know it's going to be a bastardized version of the engine anyway, so why is it so important to some people? It's not going to suddenly guarantee 3rd party ports either. They'll still farm the WiiU version off to a different developer, like they did with the Call of Duty games for Wii.

I doubt it cost them 100 to make the controller, and why at most 250? I'd rather have a super system launch at 400 and drop price in a year or two than be crap forever. Just me personally.

To me all consoles are just a compliment to my rig. If I want flashy graphics I play my PC. I only buy consoles for the few exclusives I can't get.

Why? You want another Wii like piece if hardware that is a full generation behind?

As long as its HD.

ismk

Wasn't there an article out saying that Capps was trying to push Sony and Microsoft to make their next-gen consoles more graphically intense because UE4 can't run on them at the current specs/dev units?

DarkPanda

If true, there goes all of Nintendo's hopes of getting major 3rd party support next gen. I expect UE4 to be standard about halfway through the gen, so if it can't run UE4 then devs are going to shun it just like they did the Wii.

thekad

Banned
Why is this surprising to anyone? Going by what we've seen/heard, WiiU's hardware is not too much above current gen's (which TBH, is 5-6 years old tech), why would anyone expect it to run an engine that's not even out yet.

It's not surprising to most people.

But a vocal few have been disregarding all that we've seen/heard that's made it apparent that WiiU will not bring a next-gen leap in power over the current gen consoles.

This info, too, will be disregarded.

WinFonda

Even if the WiiU is capable of producing slightly better visuals than PS3/360 currently, it's severely underpowered. Dudes, it's 2012.

I remember a lot of similar "will it or won't it" speculation regarding the Wii's horsepower too. Even right up to release, some people thought the Wii would be much more powerful based on CG Red Steel and No More Heroes trailers, among others. I expect the same thing to happen with WiiU at this year's E3.

goldenpp72

Huh? Epic is building the engine with next gen in mind. Theyre building it FOR next gen consoles.

They already stated the current specs aren't what they were hoping for or something, UE4 is likely being built with PC in mind and an assumption of what consoles will be.

Epic can say whatever they want, Sony and Microsoft won't listen. Same as Nintendo, they need a price-competitive hardware not a bleeding-edge, the most we can afford in the package and then sell them for $500. That business model is DEAD.

Wii U rumors point to HD6770 (wich is 5-6x 360/PS3) even an AMD APU igp is WAYYYYYY faster than the current consoles. The problem is when you want to go beyond. High end gpu's had a power consumption of about 90-100w in 2005, now high ends are near 300w so the only option are value-mid-range (HD7700 80w).

For 2013 an HD8700 will be between 7700/7850 with ~105w (same 28nm).

antonz

But why? Even if the WiiU were to somehow get a version of UE4 running on it, we know it's going to be a bastardized version of the engine anyway, so why is it so important to some people? It's not going to suddenly guarantee 3rd party ports either. They'll still farm the WiiU version off to a different developer, like they did with the Call of Duty games for Wii.

Funny enough that team is now basically the main COD team. Wii version was farmed out to them because West and Zampella felt dirty touching the Wii.

I don't see this as news. The WiiU will apparently be slightly more powerful than current generation systems, that's it. Of course it won't run UE4, just as the PS3 won't run it either.

So Nintendo will be stuck with another system behind the rest of the systems, and the initial flux of multi console ports will dry up after a year or two

I am pretty sure one of 720 / PS4 will run UE4, but that's about it.

This is a multiplatform era, which means Epic is fucked if UE4 only runs on one next-gen console. I can all but guarantee you that they'll make whatever compromises needed to make sure UE4 can run on both; interestingly enough, Sony might be holding most of those cards right now if the rumors are true.

Ninjimbo

Can't say I'm surprised. I always thought Wii U was going to be something like a suped up PS3. I never expected something state of art and I'm not sure why anyone would given Nintendo's recent history.

AniHawk

Epic can say whatever they want, Sony and Microsoft won't listen. Same as Nintendo, they need a price-competitive hardware not a bleeding-edge, the most we can afford in the package and then sell them for $500. That business model is DEAD.

Wii U rumors point to HD6770 (wich is 5-6x 360/PS3) even an AMD APU igp is WAYYYYYY faster than the current consoles. The problem is when you want to go beyond. High end gpu's had a power consumption of about 90-100w in 2005, now high ends are near 300w so the only option are value-mid-range (HD7700 80w).

For 2013 an HD8700 will be between 7700/7850 with ~105w (same 28nm).

not knowing anything about anything, i thought the rumored wii u gpu range was like 4950-4970 at the highest.

i thought the ps3 was the one rumored to have the 6770.

Epic knows where its bread is buttered and where the majority of its licensees make most of their money. Bare minimum, that engine is running on the next Xbox. I actually wouldn't be surprised if the PS4 isn't powerful enough to run it, though. Sony doesn't exactly have mad money to create a crazy system.

Funny enough that team is now basically the main COD team. Wii version was farmed out to them because West and Zampella felt dirty touching the Wii.

No. It's wasn't because they had something against the Wii. It was because the Wii was so far off in power from the 360 and PS3 that it required a different developer to specifically make a version for that console. The "A" team is not going to be saddled with making a very different version of their own game. They've got enough on their plate trying to get the other two versions finished. The versions that are going to sell millions and make the most money.

That's why UE4 running on the WiiU is basically irrelevant. Publishers will generally never ask their main teams to make ports for it.

Boss Man

Anyone who is holding out hope that - since Wii U won't be running UE4, maybe the PS4 and 720 won't either - is just setting themselves up for more pointless disappointment. Nintendo has their business model, they stay between generations.

rpmurphy

If its bad news, then it's true news. Specially if its about Nintendo hardware power (lack of it).
Could very well be the case, particularly if Nintendo's partnership with Havok, for example, indicates that they are building an alternative route if Epic won't commit to UE4 support for the Wii U.

IIRC Metroid Prime was built off UE as a base.
Wasn't that whole thing just a weak jumping to conclusions that really had no solid basis? Or am I thinking of something else?

Desty

Banned
So I guess this means that UE4 requires some graphics hardware shader spec (Shader Model 5?) and Wii-U does not meet that spec (Shader Model 4 maybe?).

Terrell

Can't say I'm surprised. I always thought Wii U was going to be something like a suped up PS3. I never expected something state of art and I'm not sure why anyone would given Nintendo's recent history.

If we take everything completely by recent history, MS is going to make another piece of hardware that falls apart in the first 2 years and Sony is going to price themselves into bankruptcy.

There's only so much recent history can prove to you.

Mxrz

On a happy note - hopefully this means UE4 is another big step (and no, not just tehz graphicz!)

You can do modern tech and still hit $300 when you don't have a $100'ish controller. Gears is money, you can bet several butts the nextbox will be running it in some form or another.

I don't know why people think this is bad and unexpected, UE4 probably won't become a standard engine for another 4 to 6 years. UE3 still has a lot of life in it with developers still using it all around the world. This is especially noticeable in the emerging quality free-to-play games. If rumors are true that NextBox is aiming to be a set top box first and a gaming console second then I don't know how you'll expect Microsoft to run this engine either. With Vita's luck Sony would have to be insane to go above and beyond again. Next gen on consoles will merely be this gen on PC. UE4 will most likely be a PC Engine only for the first few years of its commercial release.

Salsa

Even if we assume that the Wii is gonna be just slightly more powerful than PS3/360 and not as powerful as Sony and MS next consoles, even then, this is still not the same situation than with the Wii.

Most people going this route are missing the fact that this gen was the jump to HD, to active online interactions, to downloadable services, and a big etc.

IMO the Wii's shortcomings came much more from those things (it being SD, failing at the online aspect) than just a matter of graphics. Wii games on Dolphin look great, and i'll be damned if Mario Galaxy 1/2 isnt one of the best looking games this gen.

Unless we get some sort of huge step forward in terms of infrastructure for next gen consoles (wich I really doubt, if I had to guess i'd say we're gonna get better graphics and not much else), this is hardly going to be a similar situation to what happened this gen.

The real question here is what this means to third party support and Nintendo seems to be very worried and active upon fixing that issue, heavy push in their last conference and whatnot. Like I said this is still little info to move forward. For what we know the new Sony and MS consoles could be as far as to give the Wii-U a decent life cycle in the middle, or they could even not support UE4 until late in the cycle. We know nothing.

Top Bottom