• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kerbal Space Program |OT| 1.2 Loud and Clear - Comm Networks, New Fuel Flow and More

I cannot kill relative speed... So damn hard for me.

Out of curiosity, what's the problem you're having? The biggest problem I had was the RCS up/down/left/right controls constantly getting mixed up. I still haven't figured out how to ascertain - before firing anything - what "up" is supposed to be given a center of control.

MadYarpen

looks like my problem was following tutorial instructions too closely.

I managed to do two rescue missions today. And the docking tutorial itself, so it's all good. Plus another successful duna landing. Good day in space;)

Meanwhile, I cannot wait to try this thing - delivering two packages to Eve. 1 probe to the orbit and 1 to the surface.

AVStvVv.jpg

VVtMJh2.jpg

6irHnQC.jpg

xXJDrkM.jpg

8cDjEDh.jpg

looks like my problem was following tutorial instructions too closely.

I managed to do two rescue missions today. And the docking tutorial itself, so it's all good. Plus another successful duna landing. Good day in space;)

Meanwhile, I cannot wait to try this thing - delivering two packages to Eve. 1 probe to the orbit and 1 to the surface... snip

Woah! How did I not think of that, fairings within fairings. Very cool rocket. Did you get a chance to run the mission with it yet?

YESSSSS!

Jintor

Working my way up to docking in Kerbin Orbit for the first time.

Also seems to be a bug with resource scanners :( the maps don't show up in space center tracking

MadYarpen

Woah! How did I not think of that, fairings within fairings. Very cool rocket. Did you get a chance to run the mission with it yet?

YESSSSS!

Yep, exploded in Eveatmosphere :D

B-spec is almost ready for launch, I added 3.75 heatshield to help aero braking without such surprises. It required to add one more engine, though. I mean, I am not sure I actually need it, maybe aero braking itself is enough to get me to orbit, but I prefer it this way.
So my transition stage is puddle engine with slightly less fuel, it will get me to Eve influence zone and set me for the aero braking, then I will decouple it facing retrograde and go with heatshield into the atmosphere. And once I'm back out, i want to decouple the heatshield and correct the orbit as necessary. Then I should decouple the second puddle engine and have my probe ready. One will stay in orbit, one I will try to land there.

Kind of complicated, but I love the idea:)

Jintor

Holy shit. I'm incredibly mad right now.

Launched two rockets into space to try and practice docking for the first time. Took forever but managed to get them next to each other. Was buzzing around, trying to adjust for docking, when I get the bright idea - hey, maybe this stupid thing is just too big for this. So I'll get rid of the burner engine, just use the small engines, reduce my mass etc.

Now earlier in flight I noticed when I fired up the second stage all my final stage rockets activated. No biggy - deactivate all the engines and jam them into a new stage. Cool cool cool.

Unfortunately, somewhere along the line, activating the staging didn't actually reactivate the engines... instead, it skipped that step entirely and just blew all my engines off the side.

No worries. The other rocket's identical, so it should be able to just-

*sound of rockets blasting off into space seperate from the rest of the vessel. Again*

mother fuck.

Jintor

well i needed to reorient my rcs anyway because i didn't have forward/back thrusters. lol.

got it in the end though. Holy shit i needed to rewire my brain to understand it and I still kinda don't. Wish I could jam a camera into my 'front' so I could see what I was doing properly, even the locked camera was still blocked by most of my ship...

Maaaaaaannñnn. Watching BEAST right now. Vinny gets a proper inclination, and then sets up a maneuver to match orbits and byndumb luck the closest approach markers are right next to each other. Not super close, but close enough that it wouldn't take much more adjusting. What does he do? Cancels the maneuver to make another pass.

Edit - OH FOR THE LOVE OF GOD VINNY CHANGE YOUR NAVBALL TO TARGET MODE.

MadYarpen

Guys, is there a way to rotate the ship? Besides Q/E. Lets say Q/E are X axis, Y and Z axis rotation would be great for docking. is it there?

Maaaaaaannñnn. Watching BEAST right now. Vinny gets a proper inclination, and then sets up a maneuver to match orbits and byndumb luck the closest approach markers are right next to each other. Not super close, but close enough that it wouldn't take much more adjusting. What does he do? Cancels the maneuver to make another pass.

Sooo painfull to watch them play... But I could not stop watching. Even though watching it was making me actually angry! Lol

Sooo painfull to watch them play... But I could not stop watching. Even though watching it was making me actually angry! Lol

I had to edit my post to reflect new emotions.

Edit - Oh God, they get close and then Vinny sets up a maneuver in the wrong spot and pushes them away from each other. I'm tearing my hair out here.

Edit again - THE GAME IS PUTTING YOU IN TARGET MODE FOR A REASON VINNY.

Crispy75

Why is everyone watching videos of people being terrible at the game? I don't get it.

(Note: have not watched said videos)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Why is everyone watching videos of people being terrible at the game? I don't get it.

its sort of entertaining in a 'I remember finding that bit hard but now I know how to....noooo don't do that!' way.

As I've said before, it's equal parts hilarious and infuriating. It's tense watching it because you don't know if that lightbulb is going to flick on or not, but when it does it's an exciting experience to watch.

I really hope they don't just watch Scott's video, but actually watch it and comment over it. I just want to see their reactions to how effortlessly Scott handles everything.

Edit - The videos are doubly frustrating to me since I'm on a self-imposed hiatus from the game because I want to start off a new Career game when 1.1 comes out. I don't get to relieve the stress by going into the game to do things "the right way."

Guys, is there a way to rotate the ship? Besides Q/E. Lets say Q/E are X axis, Y and Z axis rotation would be great for docking. is it there?

Do you mean is there a way to rotate when in docking mode? The easiest way to use all controls is to not even bother with docking mode, and just use WASDQE for normal pitch roll and yaw and then use the preset translation keys of JKLIHN. Using all of those keys, that should cover all direction of rotation and translation.

When in docking mode if you hit Space it toggles between rotation and translation. That's what I usually do. Only thing is you run the risk of staging if you don't make sure you are actually in docking mode.

Vlad

It's all for those moments when things go really awry. Like here, where they spend an entire episode proudly getting two craft in nearly perpendicular orbits on a rescue mission, and you're just waiting for the other shoe to drop when they realize that it's a really bad idea.

Woof, had to fast forward a big chunk of the BEAST ep 10. Once it was clear they were going to have to brute force an encounter with a lot of luck, I got zero enjoyment out of watching them fumble through misinformation and lack of information. That is where a little bit more knowledge would have made for better entertainment. The rendezvous was the exciting part. An additional 15 orbits was not. Thank you Austin for figuring out the relative velocity situation. Props to Vinny for figuring out the prograde and retrograde situation with target mode toward the end. Their build of tension and then elation when they finally succeed is what makes it fun to watch at the end of the day though. Still love the series and can't wait for next week. Bring em home safe BEAST crew!

MadYarpen

I did it, got to Eve, left a probe in orbit and one on the surface. Proud moment!
I lost some scientific experiments on my way, but it doesn't matter. Ship costed 200.000 though. I will post some screens later!

MadYarpen

Here is my ship:
nOoEovG.jpg

Launch was challenging and there were moments when I almost lost it. But I managed to get to the orbit anyway:
35kqI6M.jpg

gYotiqo.jpg

Yax3JjF.jpg

During the trip to Eve the ship looked nice, though placement of RCS thrusters made it painfull to maneuver.
xHBaAE4.jpg

All set for aero braking:
OhSv773.jpg

Only two airbrakes worked. They couldn't stand the heat, so didn't do much good.
MbTeEYX.jpg

Airbraking done, time to expand periapsis. Contract: orbit Eve done!
o4FUtMw.jpg

iTi7n3K.jpg

Now it's time to land this little thing:
WnycxyY.jpg

9OwepH6.jpg

qApZh4k.jpg

Some instruments exploded, one turned out to be locked by something I CANNOT SEE. So I have a reason to send a rover there. Anyway, here is the result of my launch:
IsmTktD.jpg

Gb2rrxj.jpg

I have to say, I'm quite proud of myself. It felt like a complicated task and I managed to do it almost 100%. And no quickloading was necessary.

MadYarpen

Thanks. Now I noticed the first two screens are not of the final ship - I had to add one tank to each of the first 2 stages. The thing was massive.

Woof, had to fast forward a big chunk of the BEAST ep 10. Once it was clear they were going to have to brute force an encounter with a lot of luck, I got zero enjoyment out of watching them fumble through misinformation and lack of information. That is where a little bit more knowledge would have made for better entertainment. The rendezvous was the exciting part. An additional 15 orbits was not. Thank you Austin for figuring out the relative velocity situation. Props to Vinny for figuring out the prograde and retrograde situation with target mode toward the end. Their build of tension and then elation when they finally succeed is what makes it fun to watch at the end of the day though. Still love the series and can't wait for next week. Bring em home safe BEAST crew!

I was almost begging for one of them to realise you could burn retrograde in target mode to kill relative velocity, but putting your prograde vector on the target is actually a better way than I've ever used.

I was almost begging for one of them to realise you could burn retrograde in target mode to kill relative velocity, but putting your prograde vector on the target is actually a better way than I've ever used.

It is all part of the same process, they just took the long way and got a bit lucky without realizing it. Anytime you are burning retrograde you can push the retro velocity marker to match up with the target retro and anytime you burn prograde you can pull your velocity vector to align with the target prograde. The important thing to remember is that burning target retrograde will not kill off your relative velocity if there is a huge discrepancy between your velocity retrograde and target retrograde. Burning retrograde (the yellow marker) will always be the way to kill relative velocity. If you keep your velocity vector and target marker aligned then it makes no difference because you are doing the same thing. This is what eventually saved the BEAST crew.

They failed to realize that a normal retrograde burn is what kills off relative target velocity and kept trying to burn target retrograde. Fortunately, Vinny pulled some old early days KSP knowledge from when he tried Mun landings back in beta, prior to the auto pilot buttons where he learned to "push" the retrograde marker. So once Vinny got his velocity and target markers lined up, it didn't matter that he was wrong, because target retro and velocity retro were the same direction. Hopefully they learn these minor details before the next video. It is going to be so painful to see them do two more rescue missions without a few tips and tricks.

Here is my ship:
[snip]
I have to say, I'm quite proud of myself. It felt like a complicated task and I managed to do it almost 100%. And no quickloading was necessary.

This is a really cool ship and mission plan, props. Self imposed challenges are such a good way to push yourself and learn new stuff in KSP. Bummer that you lost some science experiments. That Eve gravity is a bitch.

MadYarpen

I have to say that after playing some KSP, learning some mechanics and doing some cool missions, recent project beast is hard to watch.

Jintor

It's good background noise while you fool around and can tune back in when you hear that tell tale VINNY!!!

I wonder if they would ever try an asteroid capture mission. It's basically the same as any other orbital rendezvous, just that you only get one shot at it. It makes it 100% necessary to know how to use the orbital +/- buttons when setting up a maneuver.

Also, it'd be nice if Vinny added more RCS thrusters and used translation controls for those final rendezvous maneuvers. Also, not use RCS for simple rotations, since its kind of a waste.

It's funny how they went overkill on reaction wheels and RCS on all of their smaller ships and then skimped on both with their heaviest ship to date.

MadYarpen

Regarding asteroid catch missions - how do they work?

I have such mission in mission center, but I don't see asteroid's trajectory. So I cannot check if I would like to try it... I assume, I have to accept contract first and then something will appear?

Regarding asteroid catch missions - how do they work?

I have such mission in mission center, but I don't see asteroid's trajectory. So I cannot check if I would like to try it... I assume, I have to accept contract first and then something will appear?

Go to your tracking station (that is upgraded to track unknown objects if you are in career mode) then go to a ? object you are interested in, double click it (or right click, don't remember which) and then that gives you the option to reveal it and track it. Now you will see its path on the map. This is so you don't have a crazy web of asteroid orbits on your map by default.

owlbeak

SOS! :)

I need some advice. I am currently on a trip back from the Mun with a full load of Kerbals and I made a miscalculation in fuel needs... I am in Earth orbit, but don't have enough fuel to slow down to drop me in the atmosphere.

I have a ton of monopropellant left. Is there any way to use this to slow down so I can drop in the atmosphere?

Edit: I think I figured it out! Looks like 'H' fires retrograde on the RCS. Let's try to slow this puppy down! :D

SOS! :)

I need some advice. I am currently on a trip back from the Mun with a full load of Kerbals and I made a miscalculation in fuel needs... I am in Earth orbit, but don't have enough fuel to slow down to drop me in the atmosphere.

I have a ton of propellant left. Is there any way to use this to slow down so I can drop in the atmosphere?

Yes, via your EVA jetpack. What is your current orbit Pe and Ap? The higher your Ap, the easier this will be. At the Ap, point your shit retrograde, then EVA, the go to the butt of the shit and push directly against it. You should be able to line up exactly to retorgrade now that the navball shows in EVA. If you have Kerbal Engineer installed, you should be able to see your Pe come down in real time. If not, you have to check in the map, which might require you to get back into the ship. Not sure. Either way you have a good chunk of delta V in that jetpack. Be sure not to fully drain your jetpack in EVA. You can get back into your capsule and your jetopack mono propellant will be refilled. Rinse and repeat until Pe is where you want it.

owlbeak

Yes, via your EVA jetpack. What is your current orbit Pe and Ap? The higher your Ap, the easier this will be. At the Ap, point your shit retrograde, then EVA, the go to the butt of the shit and push directly against it. You should be able to line up exactly to retorgrade now that the navball shows in EVA. If you have Kerbal Engineer installed, you should be able to see your Pe come down in real time. If not, you have to check in the map, which might require you to get back into the ship. Not sure. Either way you have a good chunk of delta V in that jetpack. Be sure not to fully drain your jetpack in EVA. You can get back into your capsule and your jetopack mono propellant will be refilled. Rinse and repeat until Pe is where you want it.
Thanks! We landed safe and sound (even though I was nervous because the parachutes got damaged on takeoff, but they worked!). I ended up lining up retrograde and firing the RCS on the ship. It took forever (~45min of holding the H key). Had to bring it down from 200,000m. Luckily I brought all that extra mono fuel.

First successful mission landing on the Mun and bringing everyone back! Sure didn't go to plan, but it was great! :D

yJ3r9rX.png

Thanks! We landed safe and sound (even though I was nervous because the parachutes got damaged on takeoff, but they worked!). I ended up lining up retrograde and firing the RCS on the ship. It took forever (~45min of holding the H key). Had to bring it down from 200,000m. Luckily I brought all that extra mono fuel.

First successful mission landing on the Mun and bringing everyone back! Sure didn't go to plan, but it was great! :D

yJ3r9rX.png

Lol, you had RCS ! Yeah, aim retrograde and hold H key. Well done though. It always feels great to save a mission that goes pear shaped.

I'm curious to see just how much 1.1 will change. Sounds like it won't be very long now.

The change to a new Unity engine should be the most interesting. Parts-wise, there are some landing gear changes and new inflatable heat shield, which is what I'm interested in.

jotun?

Although really, if you weren't lugging around all that monopropellant you wouldn't have run out of regular fuel in the first place

Top Bottom