• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KFC goes to Kenya; first U.S. fast-food chain in E. Africa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steelrain

Tabris said:
There isn't a single person who doesn't love Fried Chicken and Watermelon. The only people not eating them either can't due to their diet or have other foods they like more (but they don't dislike fried chicken and watermelon)
I hate watermelon. I love fried chicken.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
jaxword said:
You have a source for that claim?
The most plausible explanation for the emergence of the immunodeficiency virus in humans seems to be (hardly surprising) humans eating monkeys and other primates in west africa. The frequency of the different strains appearing even the in different west african populations, seems to be an indicator.

jaxword

Veidt said:
The most plausible explanation for the emergence of the immunodeficiency virus in humans seems to be (hardly surprising) humans eating monkeys and other primates in west africa. The frequency of the different strains appearing even the in different west african populations, seems to be an indicator.

Yes, that's the commonly accepted theory done with some reasonable studying, up to the point where it entered the US and spread from there.

I was asking where his conspiracy theory about the US making AIDS came from.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
I know. I was just using it as a way to educate everyone about the real cause of AIDS in the world. :D

jaxword said:
Yes, that's the commonly accepted theory done with some reasonable studying, up to the point where it entered the US and spread from there.

I was asking where his conspiracy theory about the US making AIDS came from.

maybe from that boy in 1968 in Detroit? I figure that's where conspiracy theorists start.

jaxword

evil solrac v3.0 said:
maybe from that boy in 1968 in Detroit? I figure that's where conspiracy theorists start.

Oh yes, that patient "Mr. R".

However, since HIV was in Africa at least 10 years earlier, that sort of defeats that conspiracy theory.

I work with the logic that if there's a mystery that can be cleared up with someone telling a lie, then it's probably that. That 1968 boy could easily have been lying about his sexual experimentation.

Jenga

Banned
Tabris said:
My biggest problem with KFC is they charge a $4 delivery fee (in Canada) and the drivers still expect a tip. So unless you got a huge gathering of people you want to feed, it's just not worth it unless you go pick it up which defeats the purpose and you may as well just eat in a good restaurant.
kfc delivers wtf wtf

"In Kenya there is still a very virgin market that has not been fully tapped," he said.

Kenya does have fast food restaurants from South Africa, like the hamburger restaurant Steers. It also has Pizza Inn and Chicken Inn, but no American chains until now.

So the market is virgin just because it does not have american fastfood chains? yeah ok...

Narag

Tabris said:
My biggest problem with KFC is they charge a $4 delivery fee (in Canada) and the drivers still expect a tip. So unless you got a huge gathering of people you want to feed, it's just not worth it unless you go pick it up which defeats the purpose and you may as well just eat in a good restaurant.

KFC delivers? Threadworthy!

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
rezuth said:

From the related videos,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMjJyJtVbCw

WTF?! Amos & Andy was a white duo that stereotyped black people on radio, but was played by a black duo on TV who were acting out the white stereotype of black people. I...*head explodes*

I never knew Amos & Andy was racist (I'd heard the name on Family Guy I think but never knew anything about the show). God damn. This really happened.

Ripclawe said:
Among the many groups of children at KFC was Beverly Onyango, who turned 12 on Tuesday. Onyango, who has done quite a bit of international travel and is familiar with American fast food, named KFC as her favorite restaurant. She's eaten at outlets in Dubai and Thailand, but is happy to finally have one in Nairobi.
What the fuck? That poor, poor child... KFC tastes absolutely revolting in Dubai. When I had it in other places (London, Singapore, the US), it tasted so much better, and much more like real chicken.

I remember when McD first opened here (Jordan), the queus and crowd resembled a huge rock concert. It was even more ridiculous in Moscow, the queue extended for blocks and you had to wait in line for an hour or so to get in. Crazy.

electroshockwave said:
I was about to say the same thing.

Free this man!

I don't get it. Why was that man banned? A KFC was built in Africa finally!

6a00e55214ffbe88340133ec61ee2f970b-320wi

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Mr. Sam said:
Completely slipped my mind but damn, you're right. Africa needs Nando's.
I've only heard good things of Nando's from my SA peeps. Unfortunately there are no franchises in Europe besides the ones in the UK and Ireland :(

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Tabris said:
There isn't a single person who doesn't love Fried Chicken and Watermelon. The only people not eating them either can't due to their diet or have other foods they like more (but they don't dislike fried chicken and watermelon)
As long as the melon isn't (even slightly) spongy, fucking hate that. If it's fresh and everything then yes :)

there's a combination KFC and pizza hut like RIGHT in front of the great sphinx, but no-one ever takes photos from that angle. i was a little surprised.

Lesiroth

345triangle said:
there's a combination KFC and pizza hut like RIGHT in front of the great sphinx, but no-one ever takes photos from that angle. i was a little surprised.
Haha, I was eating pizza there yesterday lol.

Mulberry

345triangle said:
I was gonna say I went to a combo KFC/Pizza Hut the last time I was in Egypt.

I'm black and don't like watermelon. All melons are nasty to me...
electroshockwave said:
I was about to say the same thing.

Free this man!
I don't think he was banned for making the KFC joke, but instead for his post a few posts above. Some mods have recently been saying that posts that amount to "nice" or things you'd do to a female will be bannable. That's likely why this poster in the same thread is banned.

Though it was a pretty interesting coincidence.

jaxword

PartlyCloudlike said:
I'm Vietnamese and we LOVE fried chicken and watermelon.

I'm black and I dislike fried chicken (though I like it in a good stew).

I think this makes me a racist or something.

SyNapSe

"This is a brand that everyone knows. They say the queue is long, but it's worth it. They don't mind the wait," Kithokoi said.

I don't know much of Kenyan life but it seems weird to me that brands like KFC have value in these other countries. A lady said she had been anticipating it for months. wow

HeySeuss

I read the title and laughed at the obvious racist jokes. Then I laughed again when I thought about the possibility of starving people downwind that would smell the food while starving to death.

I was relieved to see I wasn't the only one.

milanbaros

Member?
SyNapSe said:
I don't know much of Kenyan life but it seems weird to me that brands like KFC have value in these other countries. A lady said she had been anticipating it for months. wow

It is a relatively small entry price to the 'aspirational' lifestyle. Is it really that hard to understand. You would probably get the same reaction to something like a starbucks. Its the not the quality, or the availability of alternatives its about what the brand says. Brands have different connotations in different parts of the world, I'm sorry if that is weird to you.

D-Pad

The jokes write themselves :D

J@hranimo said:
Why does everyone like Popeye's? It's so bland tasting! The only thing good at Popeye's is the cajun red beans and rice.

Of course, when givin' a choice between Popeyes to salty KFC, I guess I would coin flip too...

Tabris said:

I don't even like fried chicken, so there!

That's a lie. I like it, but shake-n-bake exists so I can live without the fried part if I had to :p

bengraven said:
I don't know, cheap food in an impoverished area. Can't go wrong.
At least one advantage is they tend to operate in with uniform standards of quality in material and cooking processes. I've actually heard that said as a reason why some in lower income areas prefer McDonalds to say a local restaurant. With one you have a pretty good idea of what you're getting and how you'll get it, the other not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom