• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus: Uprising website updates and Palutena Tweets

Kid Icarus: Uprising |OT| "Big monsters kill Pit! Grrrrrrrrr!"

First one I've liked so far for thread title stuff.

I was kinda worried about the voice acting, but I honestly must admit the absolute shameless humor makes me love this. The jokes seem so bad they're good. I think I'll be enjoying this game a lot.

zroid

Banned
There is footage on IGN where the guy is able to play with just one stick and buttons on the on-rails part and the ground section as well. So that is an option if people really don't want to use the touch screen or buy a CPPro.

Waitwaitwaitwait, what? I meant earlier that lefties can use the face buttons in lieu of the right circle pad on the CPP. I'm quite sure the touch screen is always required for aiming. Sakurai pretty much said so!

I hope no one was confused by that...

I can confirm that it's quite amazing seeing it for real in 3D

That's great to hear! The videos I've seen, especially when viewed on the eShop, look lovely.

First one I've liked so far for thread title stuff.

I was kinda worried about the voice acting, but I honestly must admit the absolute shameless humor makes me love this. The jokes seem so bad they're good. I think I'll be enjoying this game a lot.

Yeah. When I heard JYB as Pit, it was a day of mourning for me, but now that we have a better understanding of the tongue-in-cheek tone of the game, his particular brand of voice acting actually seems rather appropriate.

Neiteio

Waitwaitwaitwait, what? I meant earlier that lefties can use the face buttons in lieu of the right circle pad on the CPP. I'm pretty sure the touch screen is always required for aiming. Sakurai pretty much said so!

I hope no one was confused by that...
I think by "one stick" he meant "stylus." You need to use the stylus one way or another, since the game moves too fast for any form of dual analog to keep up. So says Sakurai in Iwata Asks.

Yeah. When I heard JYB as Pit, it was a day of mourning for me, but now that we have a better understanding of the tongue-in-cheek tone of the game, his particular brand of voice acting is actually seems rather appropriate.

Oh agreed. I thought I'd hate Pit, but that was only because I was imagining
they'd market him as a rather serious and "cool" prettyboy character.

The fact that the game is sooo humor -based and constantly fourth wall breaking is ... well, something I haven't seen in such a high profile sort of game before. It feels really fresh and fun to me, I actually want to know what sort of crazy dialogue is in the entire game.

I think by "one stick" he meant "stylus." You need to use the stylus one way or another, since the game moves too fast for any form of dual analog to keep up. So says Sakurai in Iwata Asks.

You need the stylus for the camera control. However, it is possible to easily play Kid Icarus without the touch screen on the On-rails portion. It play very similarly to SF64 on the On-rails portion. Stylus is needed for camera control on the ground. However, it would be possible to play the game without using the stylus for aiming(It'd just be pretty difficult). IGN players last summer were playing it and never used the touch screen for the on-rails portion and barely used it for the ground portion.

sfried

The fact that the game is sooo humor -based and constantly fourth wall breaking is ... well, something I haven't seen in such a high profile sort of game before. It feels really fresh and fun to me, I actually want to know what sort of crazy dialogue is in the entire game.
I'd like to think of it as "not-God of War" as opposed to "like God of War BUT..." considering the latter might have been the direction this game would've gone if they approved of Factor5's concept...

surely it seemed 60fps to me when I played it.
in addition, also the other elements I stated seem pretty sure, I think.

EDIT: here I found where it's stated that it's at 60fps:

http://www.everyeye.it/3ds/articoli/kid-icarus-uprising_hands-on_16145

According to google translate it says that the frame rate is "very fluid, with peaks close to 60 fps". I hope it's not a Nano Assault situation where it runs at 60 when nothing's happening but it drops as soon as you start shooting at something.

zroid

Banned
You need the stylus for the camera control. However, it is possible to easily play Kid Icarus without the touch screen on the On-rails portion. It play very similarly to SF64 on the On-rails portion. Stylus is needed for camera control on the ground. However, it would be possible to play the game without using the stylus for aiming(It'd just be pretty difficult). IGN players last summer were playing it and never used the touch screen for the on-rails portion and barely used it for the ground portion.

Hmm, I see what you mean. I guess that might work under some circumstances. Probably not at higher intensities though.

I'm sure if it was really 60 FPS, Nintendo would have mentioned it on every opportunity. The framerate looks good for the most part, but even in the latest trailer, I think I can see places where it drops.

Woke up to the first anime short on Nintendo Video this morning .. the CGI one. Pretty interesting, says it was "to be continued". (Japanese 3DS btw)

sfried

StreetsAhead, how long was it?
If it's 3 parts at 10-minutes each, then that's a like full episode.

Part of me wishes it was 15-minutes each, which would make for a nice short OAV.

Neiteio

Just checked out that English trailer. WOW. I love the dialogue in this game. Palutena's especially. XD

EDIT: Just realized, like a half-hour after posting this, what the Internet will do to Palutena... :(

Oh yes.

Just checked out that English trailer. WOW. I love the dialogue in this game. Palutena's especially. XD

EDIT: Just realized, like a half-hour after posting this, what the Internet will do to Palutena... :(

Oh yes.

I'm sure it's already happened.

sfried

EDIT: Just realized, like a half-hour after posting this, what the Internet will do to Palutena...
image.php
Yeah...

Anyways, giant robots.

zroid

Banned

Oh yes.

It's her own fault for being so moé
(victim blaming)

OmegaZero

Is it just me, or is the English dubbing of the anime short...fuzzy?
Like it was recorded with a bad mic or something...?

Speaking of dubs, anyone think there'll be a Japanese option for the NA release?

I just got a Kid Icarus short on Nintendo video (US). Just do a connection check and leave it alone for a minute and it should start downloading.

Not surprising since the releases are pretty close together. 

Man, provided this game lives up to my expectations, I really hope it does well

(By well I mean at least 1 million world wide).

Neiteio

Also the "ha, I knew it" at the end sounds like some of the worst VA I've ever heard.
These are some of the best game quotes since Star Fox 64. So hilariously perfect. I especially love when Palutena dumbs down her warning to pit: "Big monsters, kill Pit! GRRRRRR!" Self-aware humor and all the fourth-wall-breaking quips (in one chapter, he apparently asks the boss if he's "a mini-boss or the final boss") make this game's VO soooooo awesome. :)

zroid

Banned
Man, provided this game lives up to my expectations, I really hope it does well

(By well I mean at least 1 million world wide).

I expect, based on what we've seen so far, the chances are good that it will reach that number, but I doubt it'll happen near-launch. I think this game's got some legs though.

OmegaZero

These are some of the best game quotes since Star Fox 64. So hilariously perfect. I especially love when Palutena dumbs down her warning to pit: "Big monsters, kill Pit! GRRRRRR!" Self-aware humor and all the fourth-wall-breaking quips (in one chapter, he apparently asks the boss if he's "a mini-boss or the final boss") make this game's VO soooooo awesome. :)

It's a great concept, but I find the execution of some parts rather...mediocre.
An example being the aforementioned "Ha, I knew it!"

Hopefully VO moments like that are few and far between, because that was some really awkward voicing.

It looks like IG is using models from the game. They're so low poly. That's kind of lame. I don't think Pit has enough geometry in his face to make those talking motions.

man, Sakurai is such maniacal. Game's packing so much content is astounding

really hope online will become popular, looks like a lot of fun

zroid

Banned
We can buy this on the 23rd right? is this the first time NOA released a game on a friday?

Xenoblade's got a Friday release as well... maybe that's going to be their thing now. The Sunday release dates always pissed me off because then if I order online I won't get the game till Monday at the earliest (if it gets shipped on the previous Friday), or otherwise not till Tuesday or even Wednesday!

It's a great concept, but I find the execution of some parts rather...mediocre.
An example being the aforementioned "Ha, I knew it!"

Hopefully VO moments like that are few and far between, because that was some really awkward voicing.

I find the Japanese ones mostly work, though. I feel it's a translation/VA issue, more than anything. It's just hard to get jokes to work across multiple languages.

Top Bottom