• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILL la KILL, new show by Hiroyuki Imaishi (Gurren-Lagann, Panty & Stocking) revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

7Th

tumblr_mmje5edfpD1rw9b6io1_1280.jpg

NewType Magazine revealed Hiroyuki Imaishi's new TV show today (officially, at least): KILL la KILL. These are the basic details:

-Director: Hiroyuki Imaishi (Dead Leaves, Gurren-Lagann, Panty & Stocking)
-Series Composition/Script: Kazuki Nakashima (Gurren-Lagann, Oh! Edo Rocket, Kamen Rider Fourze)
-Character Designer: Sushio (One Piece Movie 6, Kittan-Zero)
-Animation Production: Trigger (INFERNO COP, Little Witch Academia)
-"High-school girls and ruthless sword-fighting action! In an academy ruled by power, a transfer student wielding a sword that looks like half-scissors brings about upheaval."
-The academy is located in a post-apocalyptic setting inspired by the industral revolution of the Meiji Era and the Tower of Babel
-The setting has uniforms that match an individual's talents/skills and give them special powers in accordance to their personalities. The main characters are Ryuuko, the mysterious transfer student, and Satsuki, the Student Council President. Satsuki is trying to rule the Academy with the power of her uniform but Ryuuko resists this control. The show will be a character drama centered around both of them and the story will develop through their clashing.
-Confirmed 2 cour; roughly 24-26 episodes

You can read more details here:
http://pastebin.com/jNceqyAj http://pastebin.com/UWCFK2Bq (Interview with Imaishi and Nakashima)
http://pastebin.com/9cDsZjET (Interview with Sushio)

Character designs by Sushio (Ryuuko and Satsuki):

Setting preview:

Official site: http://www.kill-la-kill.jp/

You can safely be excited now.

duckroll

Great character designs and art, but I think Imaishi should ditch Nakashima.

Ditch the only good thing which has ever happened to him? Lol. Without Nakashima, all Imaishi will make is ridiculous stuff which is so extreme in stupidity that it turns everyone off.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Ditch we. e only good thing which has ever happened to him? Lol. Without Nakashima, all Imaishi will make is ridiculous stuff which is so extreme in stupidity that it turns everyone off.
I think there's some writer whose more serious style combined with Imaishii's off the wall stupidity will result in some unholy alchemy of quality, and Nakashima is not that person.

7Th

Imaishi: Ever since TTGL, Nakajima balances out my irresponsible and childish impulses with adult rationale and reason, while keeping things fun. Not only that, that "fun" approach fits me very well. So the work is made really easy. I'd like to work with Nakajima loads more in the future, if he doesn't mind.
Nakashima: With Imaishi, I can go full throttle with my style. And the folks at Trigger can make that into a excellent work. It's really too much fun. I almost want to do both Gekidan*Shinkansen and Trigger at the same time.

Nakashima and Imaishi OTP

Huh. I expected something a bit zanier, actually. But that's just because the character designs are straight off the model sheet at the moment, not on cel. It looks good, and I love Trigger, so I've got expectations.

duckroll

I think there's some writer whose more serious style combined with Imaishii's off the wall stupidity will result in some unholy alchemy of quality, and Nakashima is not that person.

I think any serious writer being paired with Imaishi would be a terrible mistake. Imaishi is a director who does not really have a sense of subtly and he doesn't enjoy doing things which does not allow for comedic flexibility and just being a random visual tour-de-force at times. He's an action-comedy animator at heart, and that shows in everything he directs. Putting him with a "serious" writer would only disadvantage the entire production if the writer is unable to be in sync with the director. Nakashima's background as a playwright puts him in a unique position to leverage and refine what Imaishi's style is best at, without compromising what it is at the core.

Blader

Except TTGL was already exactly that.

Unless by "more serious style" you're talking about something like Monster or Planetes. Which wouldn't really do either one of them any good.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Except TTGL was already exactly that.

Unless by "more serious style" you're talking about something like Monster or Planetes. Which wouldn't really do either one of them any good.
To be honest I don't really know what I want. I guess I just didn't like the writing in TTGL beyond the first arc.

7Th

To be honest I don't really know what I want. I guess I just didn't like the writing in TTGL beyond the first arc.

I don't think the writing in this will be completely similar to Gurren-Lagann's; it's a character drama focused on the rivalry between the two main characters.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think the writing in this will be completely similar to Gurren-Lagann's; it's a character drama focused on the rivalry between the two main characters.
Which could help iron out the focus issues that were present in GL.

If that's accurate it's an interesting change up. All Imaishi's previous work has featured intentionally flat characterisation.

7Th

Is there any estimated start date for this show? Should I expect it this year or next year?

Probably Fall.

If that's accurate it's an interesting change up. All Imaishi's previous work has featured intentionally flat characterisation.

You should read the interview; it's really interesting and pretty telling regarding the tone and focus of the story: http://pastebin.com/jNceqyAj http://pastebin.com/UWCFK2Bq

Nakashima said:
Initially we were making a battle-manga type show, but it changed to character drama. The battle-show planned for a complete story ended up becoming a work where regular characters' development/drama will be thoroughly explored. The work coincidentally became much more interesting from there.

duckroll

The main difference for this show seems to be that their structure is a lot less fluid. They said that for GL, they had a clear outline from the start which they stuck to until the end. Obviously they felt it was an ambitious structure they wanted to stick with, so even when the second half started to drag, it was probably too late for them to change anything.

With Kill la Kill they say that Nakashima is a lot less rigid with the overall series structure and they're taking it one episode at a time. As they write, there are ideas from the other staff and if it's cool they fit it in. If they change their minds about stuff later, they can also easily introduce new ideas as they surface. That could help a lot.

Is there any estimated start date for this show? Should I expect it this year or next year?

Most likely October this year, but it's not confirmed.

Verelios

Hell yeah, the men behind what it means to be a man, and what it means to be a bitch?

I can dig it.

The character designs shown are really nice too. There's always some jump in art direction with these guys so it's interesting. The student council president's design looks especially good with her range of emotion.

duckroll

The art looks rad but I'm really sick of school settings.

I don't think this is going to be a "school setting". It's a fantasy/post-apocalyptic world like Gurren Lagann, the school is some crazy city-structure, and the writer says the school concept is going to be more like the Edo era than modern day society.

This is what the school looks like:

*cough*

The show certainly won't stick too much to conventions. I'm not expecting a full deconstruction a la Evangelion, but Imaishi's crazy enough, and Nakashima sober enough, to play off this concept and create something novel.

Soriku

-The setting has uniforms that match an individual's talents/skills and give them special powers in accordance to their personalities.

So the one girl gets a schoolgirl outfit. lol.

Could be cool though.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Calling it now: the school's a drill.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Gurren-Lagann people involved? My drill is ready.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Bigger Sword Academia!

GAINAX shitting all their talent away still feels so utterly preposterous to me.

Like here they are, this is the TTGL follow up, but from a new company that had to be set up from scratch.

Looking forward to it.

7Th

Bigger Sword Academia!

GAINAX shitting all their talent away still feels so utterly preposterous to me.

Like here they are, this is the TTGL follow up, but from a new company that had to be set up from scratch.

Looking forward to it.

The situation is probably similar to the one with Studio Khara; Anno wanted to do new Evangelion movies, Gainax was too busy with other projects and thus Anno was forced to leave and create his own company in order to produce Rebuild.

So serious buisness ikkitousen? Lol. imaishi and school girls fighting each other in a post apocolyptic setting has got me hyped ether way bring it on!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom