• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gainax's new TV show: Hiroyuki Imaishi's "Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
Plywood said:

I only post FACTS.

smugdogandfloatingsunglasseshowamusing.gif

CassSept

I started watching this a while ago (two months ago or so). I made it through first six episodes, with the sixth one being so good I decided to make it that for a day. Afterwards, I pretty much had no time. I saw posts that there is some ridiculous twist (and that it involved Stocking, but thankfully avoided all exact spoilers) and Gainax trolled everyone again so I knew that one day I'll have to resume watching it.
That day came yesterday. Thankfully, after sixth episode (tissue factory one) it quite picked up and while there were some weak episodes, the ratio between good and bad ones was much better than at the beginning. I loved the introduction of Scanty & Kneesocks. Most of the episodes were really fun, even if devoid of any overarching plot ("we gotta collect dem coinz to get back to heaven" doesn't count).

And then the last episode (last two episodes if we count Bitch Girls and Bitch Girls 2 seperate) came. Pure Gainax. Earth getting destroyed, a powerful evil monster rising (which felt similar to FLCL to me). But somehow, the crisis was averted. "The End" came, everything went back to happy. The episode was pure insanity, even if it was very Gainax-like, that didn't fit the overall feel of the show. "But that couldn't be it, could it?". "We gotta collect more of coinz lol" didn't sound like really securing a sequel.
The scene after credits started. When Stocking mentioned how she wonders if heavenly weapons work on angels I started going "OH NO THEY DIDN'T". But they did. They oh-so-did. The last 90 seconds of the episode blew my mind. I finished watching it 45 minutes ago but I still can't collect my thoughts. I'm unsure what to think of it, but it definitely was a troll of epic proportions. For the first five minutes after finishing, even though I knew there is some kind of twist, I sat with my mind blank. I got trolled. So trolled. So amazed.
Overall, eh. Gainax...... when (if? though it's pretty much confirmed right) the second season starts I'm gonna definitely watch it. Most of the episodes were solid, I liked the humour (except for the really gross episodes, like the first one or nose picking one). It was definitely one of the most unpredictable things I've watched in my entire life. Every time I thought that they can't push the WTF factor any more, they did. Right to the very end. The ending was brilliant in it's own way. My God. Gainax = genius.

Edit:
PS. Stocking>>>>everyone

Just finished watching this, and the ending WTF. The ultimate "out of left field" moment, whoa. I'll be there for a season 2.

But I must say, no other episodes really stacked up to to second story of the 1st episode (Death Race 2010), or episode 6 (Les Diaboliques). The action, and animation in those were the absolute peak of how good this series could be, and I don't they ever managed to hit that peak more than twice. Even though I was still enjoying myself, I'm now quite disappointed that they didn't have another action set piece like the bullet train, or the fight in the school with Scanty and Kneesocks.

/XX/

New Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt spin-off graphic novel series illustrated by Hiroyuki Imaishi, commencing in the first number of the relaunched ANIMESTYLE Magazine (月刊アニメスタイル):

【月刊アニメスタイル】第1号はこんな内容!(7) 今石洋之監督の連載マンガは『パンスト』スピンオフ!
http://www.style.fm/as/02_topics/topics/top_110228a.shtml

Regulus Tera said:

They really went crazy about that 'No Pan Night' party in 4Chan's /a/, I've been checking the 15 threads already archived and there is another one still going, after all this hours since it ended, amazing.

7Th

/XX/ said:
New Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt spin-off graphic novel series illustrated by Hiroyuki Imaishi, commencing in the first number of the relaunched ANIMESTYLE Magazine (月刊アニメスタイル):

【月刊アニメスタイル】第1号はこんな内容!(7) 今石洋之監督の連載マンガは『パンスト』スピンオフ!
http://www.style.fm/as/02_topics/topics/top_110228a.shtml

Shit, man, I have to get that magazine; not only will it feature Imaishi's PanSto comic, it also has a feature on Yoshihiko Umakoshi!

/XX/

7Th said:
Shit, man, I have to get that magazine; not only will it feature Imaishi's PanSto comic, it also has a feature on Yoshihiko Umakoshi!

Yeah, better hurry up and contact your more trusted forwarding service to purchase them, because they are only going to print enough to comply with the preorders, and the only stores that are going to sell them are those listed in the following website, so no regular bookstores either:

http://www.style.fm/as/getsuani/

I wanted to buy it at Amazon.co.jp, but they don't ship this item outside Japan. It is a real pity.

NEO0MJ

Not only was that more vulgar than anything in the show, it ended with a bigger twist. I will now once again avoid Gainax like the plague.

CiSTM

Banned
Sorry for bumbing this thread but was second season ever confirmed ? Hiroyuki Imaishi has apparently left Gainax so I was wondering can they even do the show without him. Also Shin Itagakin is gone. According to 2c (yeah, great source) DVD/BD sales of Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt were so poor that it's likely they have been fired/forced to quit. Kinda sad since I just rewatched the show and it was even better this time around.

-_-

Banned
Bumping because this series is licensed and the dubbing is actually good.

Strippers from Heaven

Demon Sisters Transformation

Manga Entertainment has announced some details of its July 30 DVD release of Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt on its facebook page. It will be a three-disc set with over 80 min of bonus material, including the extra "Loft Plus" episode from the Japanese edition. Other extras will include a Making of, Out-takes/Missing Scenes, promos and trailers. The release is rated 18 by the BBFC, uncut.
Read more at http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-06-29/panty-and-stocking-dvd-details#Q5ttoTvHEZdk8iGm.99

Pachinko

Bumping because this series is licensed and the dubbing is actually good.

Strippers from Heaven

Demon Sisters Transformation

I must correct you, the dubbing sounded miscast and poorly delivered. 90% of the charm of this show (for me at least) is hearing japanese actresses swear in engrish. Whoever did the english script decided that swearing was the best thing ever and made every character talk like a pulp fiction character... for whatever reason it's incredibly distracting to me. The characters basically all sound annoying in english. It's a nice dvd set though. I suspect that since I went and bought it on dvd that the bluray will inevitably be out 6 months later for less money :p

-_-

Banned
I'd totally buy it if it was on blu-ray.

Blu-Ray currently only available in Japan.

FunImation not allowed to release Blurays for future titles anymore (edited so it mostly relates to PSG and the exclusion of Blu-Ray releases)
During a Twitter conversation last night, the subject of Funimation’s release of Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt came up after preliminary listings for the show may have confirmed that the release would exclude a Blu-Ray version and only be released on DVD, despite the company confirming that the show would indeed be released on Blu-Ray the weekend before during its convention appearances at Anime Boston and Sakura-Con respectively. The discussion then circled around to Kadokawa’s apparent new rules on international Blu-Ray releases.

The sudden exclusion of the Blu-Ray version after being announced as such for months came as a surprise to fans of the show and led many to cancel pre-orders due to the lack of a Blu-Ray version. While many were quick to point the finger at Funimation for screwing up the solicitations, the real blame should be placed at the feet of the master licensor of the show in Kadokawa Pictures, which controls international licensing for many of Funimation’s most popular shows.

Recently, in statements made by Manga Entertainment UK via Twitter, it was revealed that Kadokawa had issued new mandates on home video releases to its international licensing partners that allude to the requirement that no Blu-Ray releases by international licensors would be allowed this calendar year and to adjust release formats accordingly.

While Funimation also announced Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt as a Blu-Ray/DVD combo release during Anime Boston, the earliest listings for the show are beginning to confirm that Kadokawa is indeed forcing international licensors to drop Blu-Ray releases from release plans and announcements.

Why Kadokawa is doing this now, when some of the most popular shows controlled by the conglomerate will see release on home video this year is unknown, but if I were to make an educated guess, the idea of reverse importation may be too great for the conglomerate to ignore and it appears perfectly willing to lose money on international licenses in order to protect its shrinking home market.

Unfortunately for Kadokawa Pictures, the home video market for anime in the US is moving swiftly away from DVD and rushing towards Blu-Ray as the preferred release method for newer shows, with many making purchasing decisions based on whether the series will have a Blu-Ray version available. For Kadokawa to make such mandates to its international licensor partners is not only short-sighted, but it only hurts those that want to support their favorite shows and the companies that work to license them.

If I had the ear of the executives at Kadokawa Pictures, I would strongly suggest they reconsider their stance on international Blu-Ray releases outside Japan, otherwise they face the wrath of a fanbase that is perfectly willing to spend their money elsewhere, or worse, not give them any more money at all and even resort to piracy, which only hurts everyone in the end. I really would like to be proven wrong and see Panty & Stocking get a Blu-Ray release when it gets released later this Summer, but based on the previous release in Sora no Otoshimono Forte, that looks less and less likely and places other Kadokawa Pictures controlled titles in doubt for their own Blu-Ray releases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom