• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILL la KILL, new show by Hiroyuki Imaishi (Gurren-Lagann, Panty & Stocking) revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
ibrutKeiAL3X8i.gif

yami4ct

Alright, guess I should preface this and say I'm one of the few dissenters on TTGL. I don't think it's a bad show, by any means, but not the god of anime it's frequently presented as.

So, that being said, going in to KLK, my hope was that it had all the style of TTGL, but without the story and character issues that put me off of that show. That's mostly what I got. Characters were a lot more fun than TTGL, the style is all there and the tone is appropriately light hearted.

The biggest problem is that freaking battle suit. It's just the worst. The fact they make terrible jokes about it and focus on it with suggestive camera angles comes close to ruining the show. My hope is that eases up as time goes on or she upgrades to something less god awful. If it gets any worst, I'm afraid I'll probably have to drop the show.

As long as I already threw out a controversial opinion with the TTGL stuff, I might as well say I pretty much adored the music of KLK. I realize it's cool to hate on Sawano, and mostly for good reason. He works really well for me here. He's appropriately over the top and really enhanced the experience for me. Cannot wait to hear what more's going to come as the show goes on.

Snakeyes

As long as I already threw out a controversial opinion with the TTGL stuff, I might as well say I pretty much adored the music of KLK. I realize it's cool to hate on Sawano, and mostly for good reason. He works really well for me here. He's appropriately over the top and really enhanced the experience for me. Cannot wait to hear what more's going to come as the show goes on.
Those glorious butt-rock riffs

Dresden

I don't hate Sawano, but he's been on a downward slide since Blue Exorcist and I'm not sure just when he'll stop. Even the butt rock is worse now.

Jarmel

Banned
I didn't remember a single piece of music from this episode other than the vocal one.

I'm not sure this was a good trade up from Iwasaki.

ReiGun

The battle suit is terrible. I wouldn't mind the sexualization if it at least looked cool.

Aside from that, I thought it was an okay premiere. Maybe a little too much zaniness and action; less is more sometimes.

Jintor

uzhWVdA.png

That... makes sense though. I mean, I don't like using 'that that' anywhere, ever, but colloquially at least it conveys the meaning appropriately and since it's only half of a pair of scissors, it should be a scissor.

Right?

Gazoinks

uzhWVdA.png

That... makes sense though. I mean, I don't like using 'that that' anywhere, ever, but colloquially at least it conveys the meaning appropriately and since it's only half of a pair of scissors, it should be a scissor.

Right?

Yeah. The use of the singular scissor is pretty awkward, but I'm not sure how else you could say it.

uzhWVdA.png

Right?

It doesn't make any sense at all, because someone pasted the wrong line there. She's asking Satsuki why she would order for the confiscation of the blade*. The other pics I posted are serious decoding errors as well.

Matoi hadn't even cut a uniform at that point by the way.

*She actually asks what that scissor was after remarking on the confiscation order.

Crosspost:

Kill la Kill - 1

Okay, any hesitations I had about the character design and the cartoony feel are completely gone. It works perfectly with the over-the-top and goofy tone of the series.

I love the neo-old-school feel it's got. I don't really know how else to describe it, other than comparing it to Gurren Lagann. The breakneck pace was somewhat confusing at first, but it works really well (I assume there will be slower episodes, simply because it would be incredibly hard to maintain this sort of momentum for an extended period of time). I sorta like that feeling of being thrown into a world I don't really understand, with everything happening at hyperspeed, and with very little breathing room. It's exhilarating.

The scene where the uniform puts itself on Ryuuko was kinda rapey, though, and I'm not sure how to feel about that.

I really like how Ami Koshimizu is pretty much channeling Miyuki Sawashiro for her role as Ryuuko.

It almost feels like I'm watching history being made, and that's incredibly exciting. Trigger, don't fuck this up.

Lirlond

Battle suit is super revealing, though I imagine it'll look more like a sailor uniform when it's not fight time. Wonder what was going on with the fibre absorption. Will be a fun show for sure.

Phatmac

Hope it slows down a bit, I was bewildered by how fast it was going. I wish she kept on the original outfit since it looks great. Overall it was pretty good.

Ninjimbo

I like how so many people are turned off by the battle suit. It's the exact opposite of what it's supposed to do. It's really great.

Kill la Kill 1

What does the term 'hot-blooded' mean to you? Does it carry a negative connotation that merely displays a shallow exhibition of style over substance, or is it an inspiring and desirable trait showing off just what you can accomplish when you're all gung-ho about stuff? For me, it's the latter.

Being hot-blooded isn't about solving problems by yelling at them. It's about solving problems while yelling at them. We're not talking about some 80s action movie/dudebro game where it's badass for the sake of being badass, but rather badass for the sake of progress. The point of these characters isn't "I wish I could be that guy" but rather "I wish I could do the things that guy does". I won't call them self-inserts, because while I'm obviously not going to be throwing around galaxies in a mech nearly the size of an entire universe, I can still aspire to tackle problems and roadblocks with the same energetic enthusiasm as these people with such otherworldly issues. Kicking reason to the curb works when it's what's holding you back, and that's a mindset to keep when facing adversary or whatever. No motivational bullshit works if you can't actually understand "if it isn't 0%, it might as well be 100!". That is what being hot-blooded means to me, and I think Imaishi has the same idea.

This was me before Gurren Lagann:

This was me after it:

And here I find myself at another turning point in my life, having just moved into a house I recently bought, attempting to publish a novel, and trying to perfect my totally awesome vodka sauce recipe. What was it that got me this far? Motherfucking Imaishi!

From the looks of things, Kill la Kill will not break the trend started by TTGL. It continues in the path of high-energy, hot-blooded badassery that is just as inspiring to watch as it is enjoyable. Accompanied by some fantastic animation, a great art style, and a plot that really drives home the "success against all odds" mindset, I don't think I have to worry about the quality of this show. Only thing I would say is a very noticeable step down from TTGL is the soundtrack, but at least the ED (or is that the OP just placed at the ending) seems great.

I'm curious to see what this show will inspire me to do. Don't let me down, Imaishi! You've got some high expectations to deal with, including a potential place in my top 5 anime (AOTY is a given).

I was going to make the OT since 7th borked it, but a few things came up, so I'm busy until tomorrow. If anyone else wants to do it, feel free. If not, I can just do it tomorrow I guess, but no promises on quality.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Holy crap, this is the type of anime I love, the insane, fast paced stuff that just puts a smile on my face at how ridiculous it gets. I cannot freakin' wait to see the rest of the episodes.

Cosplay of the battle outfit when?

rexor0717

Kill la Kill 1

What does the term 'hot-blooded' mean to you? Does it carry a negative connotation that merely displays a shallow exhibition of style over substance, or is it an inspiring and desirable trait showing off just what you can accomplish when you're all gung-ho about stuff? For me, it's the latter.

I approve of this post! I can't gush enough about how inspirational TTGL was, glad someone else feels the same.

Squishy3

There's old official art from Newtype showing what the serafuku looks like when not in battle form, for anyone interested. Linked just in case some people don't want it spoiled.

I liked the the first episode.

But already I'm drawing comparisons to Gurren Lagann. Especially in terms of the pacing. Comparing the two Kill la Kill feels like it's moving at a very fast pace.

Gurren Lagann had a clear progression to it with Simon's journey. Especially with the path each episode takes in terms of the locales/environments.

If the show is 26 episodes long I'm already wondering what those episodes are going to be comprised of since the "last boss" has seemingly already been revealed and one of her 5(?) lieutenants has already been defeated. I do kind of miss GL's style here in the sense that I'm finding there's less visual information in terms of how the characters fit into the environments in Kill la Kill.

Also, I wonder if they will be able to top "that episode".

Dresden

If we're comparing it to TTGL, Satsuki is clearly Genome. I really don't expect them to stick with the school for 24 episodes.

Jintor

It doesn't make any sense at all, because someone pasted the wrong line there. She's asking Satsuki why she would order for the confiscation of the blade*. The other pics I posted are serious decoding errors as well.

Matoi hadn't even cut a uniform at that point by the way.

*She actually asks what that scissor was after remarking on the confiscation order.

Ah, I misunderstood the context. (And can't rewatch without using up my VPN quota)

Mik317

This is 24 episodes?

whoa...wonder how they will keep it up.
First episode kinda throws everything at you and goes "yeah how you like that shit, bitch".

Kitchen Sink is all that is left.

super exited to see where this goes.

If we're comparing it to TTGL, Satsuki is clearly Genome. I really don't expect them to stick with the school for 24 episodes.

Well, when you put it that way it seems to make sense.

Since Satsuki apparently doesn't use the scissors I imagine it belongs to someone more powerful than her who may or may not be the main antagonist.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

PhiLonius

Holy crap, this is the type of anime I love, the insane, fast paced stuff that just puts a smile on my face at how ridiculous it gets. I cannot freakin' wait to see the rest of the episodes.

Cosplay of the battle outfit when?

Not soon enough, sadly.

LordCanti

Well, when you put it that way it seems to make sense.

Since Satsuki apparently doesn't use the scissors I imagine it belongs to someone more powerful than her who may or may not be the main antagonist.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I'd imagine her
mother (the head of the school or whatever title they gave her)
but who knows.

Gazoinks

Makes me wonder whether the show's going to end up scaling up to the insane degree TTGL did. Giant sailor suit robot?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The school itself is a 4 start suit.

LordCanti

The school itself is a 4 start suit.

I thought that was obvious, considering that
the school is a damn sailor suit with eyes like the battle outfit

So wait, was Aniplex's/Crunchyroll's translation actually blatantly incorrect in some places, or just poorly phrased?

The simulcast subs are never really quite right. They're often pretty dry and there are usually better ways to phrase things than they end up using. I didn't notice any blatantly incorrect TL's, but the episode was so fast that I can't rule it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom